Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 I need some volunteers from Candlekeep

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ayrik Posted - 07 Dec 2010 : 21:58:17
I have an interesting idea for my upcoming "20 year reunion" visit of Pool of Radiance, set in re-ruined Phlan by the Moonsea (1369DR in my Realms). Basically, Tyranthraxus the Flamed One 2.0 (now occupying the body of a rakshasa rukh and mad as hell) has come back to finish his pool of radiance business the PCs so rudely interrupted twenty years ago, he's built up a massive horde of monsters (again) and he's destroyed/overtaken rebuilt Phlan (again) and is generally recycling his entire original power-hungry plot (again - though he's learned from his previous failure and this time he's a bit smarter and more careful, he knows that if he fails he'll have to wait another 20 years before the next proper astrological alignment, so he's prepared carefully to meet his deadline ... this time the PCs will have to work harder at finding ways to thwart him, and they'll have to do it fast).

I've even gone so far as to install a special NPC, Palladius Cadorna (the son of Porphyrus, approaching his 20th birthday, educated by the finest tutors and now a condescending and ambitious self-righteous rich noble brat; he considers himself a master strategist, great spiritual philosopher, and champion duellist). And an exciting new undead threat at Vahlingen Graveyard. And a new hierarchy of intermediate BBEGs in all the traditional places (Sokal Keep, Valjevo Keep, The Old Temple of Ilmater Bane Tyr Talos, Yarash's Vestrial's Pyramid, etc). The Zhents aren't organized enough to cause much trouble this time but a friendly cabal of Red Wizards (necromancers) have offered to help out (with their growing undead army) and the Cult of Dragon is beginning a zealous search around Phlan for a particular artifact they consider very important.

This whole conception is briefly described/evolved in this scroll, at least before I killed it with a poisonous anti-Drizzt ranting.

So why do I need volunteers from Candlekeep?

Well, it turns out there's some books. Some very special books. The only known copies of these tomes were stored within Mendor's Library in Old Phlan; they may have been moved to the Old Temple or other locations around Phlan. Some sages believe these tomes hold ancient lore about the pools of radiance themselves, critical knowledge which must be preserved ... and there are those who believe these books could be used to learn more about Tyranthraxus and his interest in the pools, perhaps even provide the key to banishing him from the Realms entirely.

I envision a small group from Candlekeep, a bizarre mixture of monks and scribes and sages, on an important mission to recover these special writings. They are likely not as hardened as my unfortunately valiant PC adventurers, and indeed may find themselves quite unprepared for experiencing the dangers of the greater world beyond the hallowed Halls of Candlekeep. They should be sturdy enough to survive some small hardships, and perhaps prepared to sacrifice some comfort to serve their mission, though not at all expected to participate in combat and adventure better left to braver heroes. I must admit some possibility of the Candlekeepers being captured, interrogated, or held prisoner by evil forces.

The leaders of this group would, of course, be the wizened Sage O'Perth (wielder of strange and wondrous time magics) and his ever present shapeshifting beast-mage companion/familiar known as Wooly. Only they possess sufficient mastery of lore and spellcraft to safely decipher these lost tomes. I expect Alaundo would choose to remain in Candlekeep as his duties require, and I will of course not be able to personally join in this unusual and exciting expedition as I have been assigned other important tasks within these Realms.

They might be accompanied by the famous ex-ranger Ashe Ravenheart; the learned Markus of Thay; the swashbuckling pirate-bard, Lady Alystra; the mighty wizards Thauramarth and Fellfire; the honourable Knight of the Gate; or even perhaps the famed planeswalking Arcanaloth called Shemmy. These are only examples - nothing is intended by suggesting these names nor neglecting others. All of my fellow scribes are welcome to volunteer or declare their lack of interest in this matter. I would be honoured if noble personages such as the Lady Herald should choose to join this venture, though I would not presume to impose further obligations upon their already pressing workloads.

No insult or disrespect is intended to my fellow scribes when I say that, in all honesty, I view them as possessing unparalleled knowledge of the Realms (and indeed, the entire cosmos) while being quite utterly ill-prepared and bumbling in the ways of surviving hard adventure. Perhaps more likely, as a group, to engage in passionate debate over incomprehensibly sophisticated esoterica and haul around a wagonload of scrolls than to remember to bring along some useful rope and rations.

What I ask is that those who wish to join this expedition please submit a brief summary of what you might offer to this group, mayhap a list of special knowledge, skills and abilities, magics, pet dragons, or vital equipment which (you feel) would serve this mission well. Unless you imply otherwise, I will make the usual assumption that you are human. I am quite interested in your responses.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fellfire Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 12:34:54
Ah, well, vengeance is a worthy cause. I hope they can catch and kill him/her/it slowly.
Ayrik Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 06:48:41
quote:
Fellfire

Haven't seen you around in a few Arik. What ever happened with this? Do we get an update? Casualties?
The expedition hasn't left yet. Gaming sessions just resumed after a holiday (and work) pause ... and the slowpoke PCs have decided to waste a lot of time in Calaunt (trying to assassinate an old rival).
Nicolai Withander Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 23:24:14
Well met...

I am Melcar Silverdragon, friend of Khelben Blackstaff Arunsun, and of Her Highness Oluevaera Estelda, whom you know as the Srinshee. I am always ready when it comes down to protecting written lore. And I will help you in any way I can. Some might know me for my spell creations: Melcar's Disintegrating Blast or perhaps for my famous or should I say infamous Weave Sphere spell...

I wield great magical power, I am deep in the knowledge of the art, and I have fought against almost anything Toril can throw at you. Mind you that I would be honored to follow on this quest.

I leave it to you good sir!

PS: Any character info is just a PM away! Have it all on my computer!
Quale Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 12:04:30
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Quale

I've skills at violating canon (bend reality, psionics), but no longer have the time to post here from work, so your expedition is safe.
You violated a canon?

First, didn't it hurt? Second, what did the pirates have to say about that when they caught you with one of their bombards in that fashion?

it's in the Pirate's Code, keeps the mutinies down

and pirates are a superstitious lot
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 06:59:02
Well, if you did, I'd be happy to smack you for it... Hubby's not around ATM, and I have to smack SOMEBODY....
Laerrigan Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 06:49:31
Someone please make a Monty Python "Knights of the Round Table" filk about this so I don't have to, because I'd have no choice but to smack myself for it.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 06:38:19
I'd be happy with an epic ballad sung about this rag-tag bunch....
Fellfire Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 05:42:45
Haven't seen you around in a few Arik. What ever happened with this? Do we get an update? Casualties?
Markustay Posted - 16 Dec 2010 : 02:11:08
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

I've skills at violating canon (bend reality, psionics), but no longer have the time to post here from work, so your expedition is safe.
You violated a canon?

First, didn't it hurt? Second, what did the pirates have to say about that when they caught you with one of their bombards in that fashion?

Alystra Illianniis Posted - 14 Dec 2010 : 08:24:26
Creativity? Or were you referring to the bit about activating the second wish? Well, it wasn't his first choice, to be sure- he just told the other party members- "do something- ANYTHHING - to make me cry!" The party rogue promptly kneed him where it counts. HARD. That did it, alright....
Laerrigan Posted - 14 Dec 2010 : 08:18:42
Ooo!! Can we have mobs with torches and pitchforks?? It's been a while since Laerrigan was faced with one of those; he's getting downright lazy.

Well, there are always illusory shadows/reflections to prevent casual suspicions, and the misdirection spell for not blinging as undead. Until those fail right when it would be most interesting.

Oh, and I meant to give Alystra a for Lothir's creativity...
Ayrik Posted - 14 Dec 2010 : 07:43:31
Did I mention the fine citizens of Phlan are quite leery of dragons and undead?
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 14 Dec 2010 : 06:54:44
Hmmm, well, there's always my half-dragon twins.... (Half Gold dragon/Moon elf male Paladin & female Bard/Sorceress/Bladesinger)
Laerrigan Posted - 14 Dec 2010 : 06:54:39
"Born of a wizard's laboratory experiments" ... can you say a little more about this? Is he native to the Realms? How old?

Laerrigan is the biological-chimera result of a powerful wizard tampering with the clone spell (and other things). He has eight "parents" whose tissues went into the pot, various species from various planes. That's all just BG and doesn't affect his stats, however. He was "born" on a small demiplane consisting of that wizard's tower and a little patch of land, part of the Realms (but his special abilities have been quite tailored by house rules over the years to suit me and my friend in our gaming). He's...oh...maybe 600 years old, by this point at CK (which version of him doesn't always keep pace with outside gaming), and he's been undead for round about 250 years, and was a dhampir before that so he had some notion of what was coming. IMC, we use a slightly-tailored version of vampire age categories from one of the Ravenloft supplements, so by now he's not affected by garlic, in addition to the alternate traits given on the page you're looking at. But hey, whatever sounds like fun to you .

His large wings ... how large? Say, a 12-18' wingspan? They are described as membranous, the edges ranging from black towards a purple-grey tint, tipped with angular scales, shot through with streaking patterns of iridescent silver; the sketch shows them looking leathery and batlike. Or are they more like translucent insect wings? I imagine they have some irregular patches of discoloured chimeric tissue as well?

18' should work for aesthetic purposes. They're batlike---only as translucent as a bat's wings---but with the thumb lengthened as a 5th (shorter) wingfinger instead of being separate for climbing as on a bat. And actually his wings are colored just as described, without the patches on the rest of him.

What do you mean by "he doesn't [manifest] his wings unless he needs them"? He can "fold" them under clothing, has limited shapechanging, or uses disguising magics?

Limited shapechanging---he can "grow" wings as a standard action, much like a lycanthrope changing shape except they aren't grown enough to be useful until the next round. They demanifest in the same way. Guess I should clarify that in his description....Laerrigan's shirts and coat have long slits up the back to accommodate growing his wings out, concealed among pleats.

Does he worship any particular god(s)? Belong to a monk order?

No monk order---his training came from his wife. He officially follows Corellon, and he really does do his best to live accordingly for the most part in order to increase that god's overall influence/power (lol, he lawfully attempts to do what a chaotic deity would like), but his heart lies most with Oghma and always has. The Corellon thing is his passive-aggressive means of flipping an obscene gesture at Lolth for personal reasons. Whether or not she notices or cares is another matter entirely. Maybe some day he'll get over that very long-running snit and go back to Oghma.
Ayrik Posted - 14 Dec 2010 : 06:16:48
I have a few questions about Laerrigan Risumor -

• "Born of a wizard's laboratory experiments" ... can you say a little more about this? Is he native to the Realms? How old?

• His large wings ... how large? Say, a 12-18' wingspan? They are described as membranous, the edges ranging from black towards a purple-grey tint, tipped with angular scales, shot through with streaking patterns of iridescent silver; the sketch shows them looking leathery and batlike. Or are they more like translucent insect wings? I imagine they have some irregular patches of discoloured chimeric tissue as well?
    What do you mean by "he doesn't [manifest] his wings unless he needs them"? He can "fold" them under clothing, has limited shapechanging, or uses disguising magics?

• Does he worship any particular god(s)? Belong to a monk order?

• Lady Alystra / Lothir E'Terrin'dar -

I'm still reading ... following all your sig links is a bit of a chore; these characters have travelled widely across the web, lol.

Before we proceed ... uh, I'm counting two dragons (which I'm hoping can travel in humanoid guise) and one pseudo-vampire. Any more dragons coming along? Any liches?
    Alystra Illianniis Posted - 14 Dec 2010 : 04:05:49
    I'll Second THAT!!! Of my two, Lothir is the most fun to use, considering his open and gregarious nature, and his willingness to aid others. He occasionally is prone to crude humor, particularly harmless pranks (as I mentioned earlier) but will never do anything intentionally harmful unless he feels it is well-deserved. He's very polite most of the time, though when angered, he tends to curse like a sailor, and has a fondness for baudy songs and poems. He's been known to flirt shamelessly and at great length with women, but will back down if it becomes clear that his attention is unwanted. Also, his upbringing makes him unwilling to attack females save in self-defense, and even then he prefers to use non-lethal force (unless she is a Lolthite- then all bets are off). He's also slightly pacifistic, so will never attack first. However, his quick reflexes and ability to think on his feet- often with surprising results, due to his resourceful and clever mind- make up for that.

His prized possessions are his twin sabers Honor and Valor; both are keen shifting blades that can shrink down into simple silver-handled daggers when not in use, which he keeps in his boots to present a less threatening appearance. Valor is a sword of quickness, Honor is a definding sword, and both have a silver hilt in the shape of an elven maiden with long hair and arms upraised to encircle a round moonstone slice at the pommel, with a narrow basket hand-guard shaped like ivy vines curling down from the tang to the pommel. His other favorite possession is a silver pendant in the symbol of Eilistraee which can detect evil constantly, and currently has one Wish spell remaining as well (Note- the Wish can only be activated if tears are shed on the symbol- methods used to provoke this are up to the discretion of the DM or other PC's. Does not matter if they are tears of joy, pain, or sadness- just so long as someone cries on it. He once had a companion rack him to make him cry to expend a wish, so feel free to get creative!)
    Laerrigan Posted - 14 Dec 2010 : 01:21:17
    Quite interesting. Laerrigan (High Mage and painfully intelligent, with all the quirkiness to go along with that trait) will definitely want to hear some of Thauramarth's theoretical notions, and nitpick over details---honestly intrigued---if he's not simply shut out by the guy's impatience. And he will be fundamentally incapable of not poking at his crankiness in subtle, "innocent" manner, at least on occasion. Kind of like poking at a puffer fish to make it puff up. Or a crow fascinated by a cat's swishing tail being inevitably drawn to peck at it and jerk back out of reach. (Meaning no disparagement of your long-running character IC or OOC, by any means---it's just that "quirky" doesn't really say it for mine . Everyone should feel free to smack him if he makes too much of a nuisance of himself for entertainment or fixations; he's quite capable of self-restraint, he just needs a little reminder of that elusive thing called "boundaries" every now and then, when the pressure's not on...)
    Thauramarth Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 21:05:54
    Heh. Thanks, Bob Salvatore (and, in all fairness, Unearthed Arcana, the 1E version, before that, as it introduced the possibility of drow elf rangers...).

Anyway - Thauramarth. Don't have 3E stats for him (he was my first long-running PC, an exploit half-elf 1E bard/magic-user). I'll just use a version of the old boy (there were several) that would has "vulnerabilities" you will need to justify the PCs' existence...

In this version, Thauramarth is known as "Thauramarth Runestaff" for his trademark possession - a staff of unknown, dark material (stony texture to the feel, but much lighter), as tall as a man, and covered in crawling runes of slowly shifting colours, with a metallic sheen to them. The Runestaff is a major artifact, which Thauramarth acquired from the depths of a ruin in the deeper layers of the lower planes. Although a wizard (ultimate magus, even, perhaps), Thauramarth is incapable of casting spells - a side-effect of his attunement to the Runestaff.

The Runestaff's major (only) power is to absorb and imprint on itself other magical items (any kind, and any type, subject to certain incompatibilities). The Runestaff allows Thauramarth to activate any magical item that it has absorbed since becoming attuned to Thauramarth (there are many). Activating such an absorbed item causes one of the runes to flare (each rune represents an absorbed magical item), and bestow on Thauramarth the effects of the magical item, as if he was wearing or wielding it. Such "switch-on" lasts until the next sunrise (the next sunrise on Toril, if on another planet or another plane). Magical items which cannot be worn or used simply by carrying them on a person or wielding them in the form of a staff cannot be switched on. Items which require an act of will to have any effect (e.g., a wand) can be activated, and Thauramarth can actually activate multiple effects in one round (although only once per item; e.g. a wand of fire and a wand of lightning could both be activated; it would not be possible to have the wand of fire produce two fireballs - for that the Runestaff would have had to absorb two wands of fire). The number of will-activated items that can be deployed in one combat round is equal to the wielder's caster level divided by three (rounded up).

Using the Runestaff comes with a price, however - switching on a magical item drains one hit point from the wielder, and hit points lost in this way cannot be healed by supernatural means, and the wielder cannot recover hit points by any supernatural means (magic, psionic, or other) (one exception below). The only supernatural way of healing open to the wielder has, as Thauramarth has managed to establish, is the use of ioun stones. Thauramarth's most prized possessions (after the Runestaff itself) are a pair of pearly white spindle ioun stones (which allow him to regenerate 1 hp every ten minutes). His incapability of casting spells is also a side-effect of the Runestaff.

Because of his bond with the Runestaff, Thauramarth has become a specialist in the subject of enchanted items. In general, he's rather brilliant (in his own world) when it comes to his chosen field of study (although a lot of his knowledge veers into the theoretical - of course, being incapable of casting spells, he has never actually created an item himself. He's impatient with others, and downright cranky the rest of the time. He is tall, thin, with pale hair and eyes. He looks like a human man in his early fourties, although no one is aware of his true age. He is well aware that the staff is his strength and his weakness, and that it might one day be the death of him. Although not reluctant to wield its powers, over the years, he has trained hard to become a very capable fighter with the staff, and a more than proficient shot with his light double crossbow.

The Runestaff has some additional powers, one of which is of great interest to the Sages of Candlekeep: while the staff is nearby, Thauramarth is immune to any curses (including curses inflicted by major artifacts), which allows him to wield, and examine just about any magical item with impunity. In fact, cursed items can be absorbed by the Runestaff to enhance items already absorbed by the staff (recharge them, or increase their power).
    Ayrik Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 20:40:08
    A mutant beholder perhaps? Or just a modron? Mike the Modron ...
    Laerrigan Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 19:59:29
    Lol, sounds about right....Your poor PCs. Hey, that strange beast needs an eyeball for an animal companion.
    Ayrik Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 19:26:31
    It's a drow raiding party from Candlekeep!
    Riding dragons!
    With vampires, undead, and strange beasts!
    Laerrigan Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 19:09:16
    Um....Laerrigan is part drow....The patchy black parts....Can he be cool too?
    Bladewind Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 11:45:56
    You can run but you can't hide! *fey laughter* -Bwahahaha- *fey laughter*
    Fellfire Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 11:38:50
    Drow everywhere. The Keep is being overrun! We're under attack!
    Bladewind Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 11:31:25
    Hmm, I am starting to think my character would fit in nicely with all these drow. As a dark elven (effectively bealnorn) planewalker he could stay close to Candlekeep once in a while, but he'd operate from the plane of shadows well away from prying eyes.

Ceifil "Bladewind" Dathedi is the ancient and lone survivor of Threnody (Kiriansalee's home world), a dark elven ranger 8/ necromancer 20/ arcane archer 2/ bladesinger 10. He has hunted many a foe with his necromantic infused bone arrows (capable of energy drains and spreading filth fever) and his dancing adamentine greatsword Atherahk. His planar lore is unsurpassed and he has found pathways between many a world on the plane of Shadows. He speaks only though his astral projection, and is known on many places as the dark spirit of vengeance "Suin Bahhar". He protects good aligned drow on all planes, seeking to aid them through scry and suggestion tactics.
    Zireael Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 10:32:18
    You could borrow my character too, Arik.
    SiNafay is NE drow female Rog 2/warblade 8/Blk 3/deity's messenger [Planar Handbook] 5.
    Sill Alias Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 06:49:50
    I wonder if I should use my drow PC Eowiewiel. Follower of Eilistraee FS, had some bad experience with Sword Coast in '46th when she broke into Candlekeep to find information for work she was hired to do. Pretty unlikely FS, who does not go completely well with all teachings of the Dark Maiden ("Dancing around naked?! Dream on, pervert!"). Being cowardly and evasive, she hides and moves into the settlements only with the magical artifact that allows her to change her shape during the day. Has bad temper, but really tries to be a good priestess.
    Alystra Illianniis Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 05:54:15
    Ah, just read that last night, Fellfire, and they were drow/Wood elves.... AFAIK, there is no actual template for the drow/Moon mix. Just treat her as a drow without the light-blindness, reduced SR, and only fairie fire and dancing lights for spell-like powers. (Born on the surface, y'know.)
    Fellfire Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 05:31:06
    Xak'hun, Moon/Drow Elves were detailed in Dragon #244, one of my favorites, as specially bred crew for Drow dirigibles.

It even came with a little paper model.

Sorry, they are 1/2 Wood Elf, but all awesome.
    Ayrik Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 05:27:54
    Sorry, drow/moon elf? That's an elf racial type with mixed traits?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000