Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Pools of Darkness

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rhewtani Posted - 05 Oct 2010 : 17:53:28
After a month break, I'm about to get back into our campaign. So, I'm starting a new thread to build up my story for a re-envisioned Pools of Darkness.

In 1340 Tyranthraxus was able to activate the pool in Phlan and actually used it to get to Myth Drannor. This did two things: It alerted Bane to the presence of the pools being active and it also alerted him to Tyranthraxus' presence. It's all fine and good having your subjugated demipowers showing back up, but that's only if you can keep them in check.

So, he summons Marcus (who knows both Yarash and Dracandros). He puts Marcus into the process of learning how the pools work. Marcus is told that once the cities are brought out of the prime material the people will recognize Bane's power and serve him. Once this is complete, Marcus will draw more and more cities into the web.

In 1347 Hulburg gets all but destroyed and Marcus is then able to slip in unnoticed and begin ritual to activate the pools open them and relocate them to another plane. This involves using artifacts as anchors and tying the magic through the pool across another plane, through another pool and to another artifact. After a short duration the pools contract around the cord and people are not able to pass through them.

The next link is to be Verdigris where there is a pool that Bane learned about through Eldamar (from Secret of the Silver Blades) the Dreadlord. "The artifacts are going to be vulnerable ...," Bane tells Marcus. He has Marcus summon the devil Tanetal, but something goes amiss and he accidentally summons Gothmenes the Balor.

Gothmenes interested in the artifacts, the pools, and the opportunity for chaos and such, appoints Kalistes, a Glabrezu and Thorne the Red Dragon to impersonate devils and a green dragon. This fools Marcus, but not Bane. Bane chooses not to tell Marcus, since he is ... well, he's Bane. I need to name the Glabrezu.

After Hulburg, Verdigris, Phlan, and Melvaunt are pulled into the ritual Bane sends Marcus to Tanetal in Phlan. The Glabrezu is to guard Verdigris, and Kalistes is to guard Hulburg, and Thorne is to guard Melvaunt. Now, Bane sends through a more trustworthy servant through to Verdigris to acquire something before the portals collapse. Oswulf, one of the original silver blades who faced Eldamar the first time wielded a magical longsword dedicated to Lathander that could be very useful later.

This is where things go a little wrong. Elminster, as he often does, notices things, and Fzoul Chembryl on a ship set for Hulburg is enough of an oddity that he tracks him through the pool. He sees him pass into an icy cave through the pool (Verdigris), but before he can follow, the nexus starts to tie off. He uses silver fire to hold it open and looks about at the other portals in hopes of a reasonably good idea.

He is already aware that adventures sought to stop Tyranthraxus ten years ago and he gave them some minor assistance. He knows that through some means a heavy amount of magic turned them all to mithral and extensive spell research would be needed to reverse that. He also knows that the wizard hired by Lord Valjevo is actually the lich Akempus from Northkeep using the portal to Phlan to get there.

He provides Akempus with the inspiration to use the pool as the needed energy source for the spell. He provides only partial information to him and makes sure that the ritual would not work without his involvement from the other side of the pool. After they're restored to mortal forms, he can summon the PCs through the portal to aid him.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rhewtani Posted - 14 Apr 2011 : 16:12:16
So, I think I ran this session okay.

The three PCs appeared in midair, colliding with some trees. They took negligible damage and begun doing their best to sort out where they were. They settled on "a large forest, perhaps cormanthor or the high forest, hopefully not the high forest." They found some small ruins and set up camp.

On second watch, three knights (who obviously could not see in the dark) and one elven archer (female) stumbled into the camp. After a brief confrontation everyone settled down to talk. Apparently, this elf was a princess ... Nacacia, possibly of Evermeet. Her story wasn't quite up to snuff, but no one could trace it back correctly. Why was she using human guards? Do the Elves have a king? Why was she barefoot?

She convinced them to help her retrieve the remainder of her men, which the 3 knights with her were not keen on at all. The three agreed to help, and they followed her into the ruins of a great elven city. They found the corpses of two of the knights, both run through with javelins.

They were battleclash and discovered two cat-people attacking one knight who had holed up in a small structure. They managed to slay both of the cat-people after a prolonged battle, thanks to the elven wizard's proficiency at bypassing spell resistance and Ericon's skill with inflicting considerable damage by his bow. However, the lead knight, a "Sir Brinn" was slashing deeply across the neck and perished. One of the cat-people had tried to make a run for it with the ball during the fight, claiming that "Tyranthraxus would soon rise." He was the one carrying the balls.

They discovered that the cat-people were using small glass orbs to extricate some form of life essence out of the men they were killing. Rhystel destroyed both balls that were "full." The princess insisted that they return to the sewers, where they had been investigating and retrieve a black rod - "no more than 10 inches in length and 1 inch in diameter." They did so, but also chose to continue searching the sewers for more cat people.

They found a grate that led up into some sort of room, but discovered an illithid lurking in the shadows nearby. It levitated up and encouraged them to follow as it could lead them to the cat people. Arandir used his magic to teleport all of them up to the room above and found the illithid awkwardly perched just over the grate with his tentatcles out. It seemed obvious that he was likely to suck the brains out of the first person who would have tried to climb up.

The illithid reacted with some sort of mind blast stunning all but the princess and Rhystel. Rhystel was fighting it effectively, but backed up to use his bow as the princess came in. Once the the illithid latched a tentacle onto her head, however, she screamed - panicked, and broke the rod.

Six seconds later a rift opened in the air, even as Rhystel was finishing the creature. Within a minute the room was filled with 10 knights and four wizards, swords and wands out, the princess was behind them and orders were being barked for the group to lower their weapons. Ericon, coming out of his daze, handed his bow to Rhystel (who then put it down), picked up his spear, and began stabbing the illithid. No one objected.

Within an additional minute, a portly wizard with greased black hair and wrinkled robes came through the portal, demanding to know what was going on. He grumpily accused the party of dragging a young girl into the most dangerous ruins in all of Faerun. He was not placated by Airindir's claim that "she drug us here." He, annoyed, admitted they would probably be rewarded for all of this, nonetheless. The group maintained that they should stay here and deal with the threat of Tyranthraxus. The mage, however, convinced them to leave that to people who could adequately handle such things and that it would be taken care of. Everyone went through the portal. Once there, the wizard cast a spell and returned the elven princess to her proper appearance, a fiery haired fifteen year old girl.

The three were placed in a room, that was guarded, but in no way reminisceent of a cell. They were fed and given drink before they were taken to see the king. An attractive, dark haired man, with a distinctive nose; the king was nothing but kind to them. The mage, who by the king's references to him, was the Court Wizard Vangerdahast, also attended. The King welcomed them to rise (only Ericon had actually remembered to kneel) for "today I count all of you as friends for protecting my daughter."

The three spoke of their wish to return to the fight their friends were enduring, but Vangerdahast dismissed this notion. "In all likeliehood the battle your friends are engaged in is long past. Time moves strangely in the astral sea." As such, the king assured them they would be properly rewarded and provided with passage to the city of their choosing. Ericon, anxious to see his wife, chose Hulburg. Discussion took place as to whether or not Hulburg was really where he meant, the city having been destroyed three years ago by the Zhentarrim army.

Vangerdahast ended the discussion with, "Well, it is on the maps, so fine." Once they were dismissed from their audience with the virile king, they were given a chance to rest and wait on their reward. Vangerdahast brought them each a bag of 8,000 gold lions, a ring of brief blessing for each of them, and informed them that the vessel they would be taking would be leaving in less than three hours. He informed them that they should stow their weapons as they are without charter and should avoid looking nobles in the eye. He seemed quite hurried in his desire to be rid of them.

Rhystel hoped to find somewhere he could trade for items of magic, while Ericon decided to refill his quivers before the ship departed. From there, it was simply a matter of the sea voyage to Hulburg.
Rhewtani Posted - 13 Apr 2011 : 18:15:44
Now, I had gotten some insight into the event in the video game in a response from Ed:

quote:
Hi again, all. I bring a lore reply from Ed of the Greenwood, in response to this, from Rhewtani: “So, there's a sidequest in Pools of Darkness, where Alusair is hunting Raksahas in Myth Drannor (in 1350). This is when she was 15. In Ed's view, how plausible is that scenario...? Could she have been sent with a retinue of Purple Dragons to do this sort of thing? Since in 7 more years she almost wedded off and then kidnapped by the Fire Knives, it sort of seems like she's goes down hill before becoming the steel regent.”
Ed replies:

Hi. Well, there’s plausible and then there’s plausible. Alusair was a VERY rebellious teen; what we saw of her in my KNIGHTS OF MYTH DRANNOR trilogy (in 1348 DR, when she was 13) was just the beginning of her really “busting out” into defying Vangerdahast, her father the king, and just about everyone else short of her mother Filfaeril (whom she avoided, so as to escape being given specific orders and prohibitions she might feel the need to break). Alusair is the ultimate “tomboy.” Reckless and foolhardy, yes, but unlike her older sister Tanalasta, who was largely sheltered from the world, Alusair really LEARNED about Cormyr and surrounding lands and “the way the world really is” (just as her father Azoun had done, with Vangerdahast, as seen briefly in CORMYR: A NOVEL). Remember: Tanalasta was the heir; Alusair was the “spare,” and was allowed to develop into a different sort of asset to the kingdom: a war-leader who soon romanced the younger sons of most of the noble houses, binding them to herself in a personal loyalty that largely overcame their parents’ traditional resistance to the royal house.
I would strongly disagree with a view that she went “down hill.” That’s like looking back on your worst teenaged mistakes and judging the course of your life from them and only them. She made blunders, yes, and endangered herself (and by extension, the realm), yes - - but Azoun did worse, and the great majority of his subjects LOVED him for it.
I believe that if you read the novel CRUSADE by James Lowder, you’ll form a somewhat different view of the young Alusair than you seem to hold.
The young Alusair could definitely have gone hunting in foreign lands, particularly wilderlands not governed by a strong rulership that is a rival of Cormyr, and would have been accompanied by as many Purple Dragons as the Highknights and War Wizards assigned to protect her hide could have managed to send along.
However, she wouldn’t have been “sent” on any such foray, and no, she wouldn’t have been allowed to go anywhere as risky and as politically sensitive as Myth Drannor at the time, much less hunt rakshasas. However, she might well have twisted an “allowed” expedition to see the dales (avoiding Archendale and places under Zhent influence, like Daggerdale and Voonlar) into such a foray, yes - - but that’s more “Alusair at 17 or 19” behaviour, rather than what her 15-year-old self would have dared.
And I’d be very careful about judging any of those two generations of royals except Azoun by what relatively little we have seen of them, thus far. It’s somewhat akin to trying to judge, say, JFK by seeing footage of two of his public speeches and then his assassination, without ever learning anything else (about his childhood, family background, schooling, the private character of the man that only his friends saw, etc.).
I hope this helps. Feel free to pose more queries about these Obarskyrs. The chances to tell their tales are slipping away, and they really are fascinating people.
I’ll slide in a little hint, here: you may read some more of Alusair’s utterances in print, fairly soon.

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms, Cormyr, Azoun, Alusair, Tanalasta, Filfaeril, Vangerdahast, the War Wizards, the Highknights . . . and LOTS more, of course.
love to all,
THO

Rhewtani Posted - 13 Apr 2011 : 15:52:20
So we're in the wrap process on this campaign. The majority of the group is still about to face Gothmenes within some portion of Moander's chest cavity. He cast banishment on 3 of the PCs sending them back to the prime material plane, but to who knows where?

They stumbled across a crazy old hermit within the corpse that directed them to Gothmenes. It turned out to be none other than Sylune Silverhand, who was able to transposition the amulet right out of Gothmene's possession. She handed it off to Kiavon and it's up to the group to escape more than slay Gothmenes.

However, I have a player out tonight, so I'll be running a session for the 3 PCs who got banished. They've, in fact, landed in Myth Drannor - where several Rakasahs are stealing life energy from a band of Purple Dragons with the intention of using it to re-awaken the slumbering Tyranthraxus.

And you see, I didn't think I was going to end up doing that part of the video game.
Rhewtani Posted - 13 Dec 2010 : 19:28:56
Last game the group came into Hulburg and did manage to avoid becoming the victimes of the Lich living beneath the city. Upon seeing only two torch lit buildings in the area, they avoided both and decided to feel their way through the dark ruins towards the artifact. They stumbled upon lacedon, which, while easy to deal with caused them to reveal their position. They did not see any repercussions of this as of yet.

They came upon a ruined structure guarded by drow and were well on their way to handling them when Kalistes appeared, undisguised, and began choosing her targets. She used a mix of throwing knives and blade barriers, only facing off with slams and weapons when the fighter charged.

Now, if given the chance, the 10th level fighter can dish out about 100 points of damage in a round. However, his AC is 19 and he has somewhere in the range of 150 hp, so he tried, but cannot face her 1 on 1.

The fight actually ended with them dealing with the drow for the most part, but having done absoutely no damage to Kalistes. She left, which gives them a breather, but will also allow her to set herself up to better reduce their numbers.

In the meantime, I did realize that a particularly good use for 4-5 of her attacks is sundering excess magic weapons the group has accumulated through various personnel changes.

I'm a little bit anxious, because I know the party is overmatched to face a CR 12 creature or even 2 CR 10s, but a CR 17 could TPK them.

This fight is supposed to be more even, as I knew a marilith was pretty silly to throw agaisnt them, but that's really what's supposed to guard the crystal ring. So, I had a 10th level fighter and a beholder that would have assisted them had they investigated one of the torch-lit structures they passed. He's the commander of a Zhent patrol sent by magic to investigate the actions of a "rogue" mage who performed the ritual causing the pools of darkness adventure. Of course, he's actually more there to eliminate evidence of Fzoul's involvement and to assist the PCs in ending the quest.

But, it's frustrating not being able to find an encounter sweet-spot.
Rhewtani Posted - 03 Dec 2010 : 15:14:44
Yeah, I have Tarl being turned into a vampire (but in a shrine of moander, so as above ... he's basically a flood-creature from halo now). Instead, Anton (who was unconcious through the entire novel) survived, and is in actuality Anton Cormaeril (a PC).

They found Ren's dagger's on the goblin leader in Kuto's Well. I don't think they ever found his corpse.

One of the PCs was a previous apprentice of Ranthor and he knew Ranthor had an apprentice named Shal, but he never did find her. I did put together a session where they explored Denlor's Tower and found Ranthor and Denlor's remains. Presumably, Shal was killed at some point prior.

These basic little changes are the core of my campaign (which I'm hoping will just last until I die in 40-50 years). Everything outside of it is "assumed canon." So, as a result of their actions in Phlan - they end up being the heroes of Pools of Darkness and will also suffer Tyranthraxus' vengeance in several years by enduring the azure bonds.
Ayrik Posted - 03 Dec 2010 : 01:24:12
Ah, Councilman Cadorna. Despicable snivelling little spineless snake. No redeeming traits at all beyond tons of money and unbridled selfish ambition; reminiscing about him brings a fond smile to my face. He had a hostile relationship with my players right from the outset, and it only degraded over time, they ended up accidentally murdering the little scumbag before he could fulfil his treacherous destiny and I was forced to fill the sudden vacancy with a Zhent doppelganger. Quite the merry chase around the Moonsea, then Sembia, before the players managed to put Tyranthraxus into a bottle.

Shal, Ren, and Tarl played no part at all in my Realms. Beyond being the presumed identities of a trio of zombies animated from the corpses of some unfortunate (and incompetent) adventurers who fell at Sokol Keep.
Rhewtani Posted - 02 Dec 2010 : 20:59:26
So, in the meanwhile, the player who is out of town managed to convince a mage to retrieve Cadorna (alive but turned to mithral) and a gnoll from the collapsed ruins of the castle. She pressed the gnoll into her service and then privately confronted Cadorna. He explained away that while he did not stop him, for the most part Gensor (his house mage) was behind the attacks that took place upon her in the past. He's currently nothing more than Lucius Malfoy at the end of book 7 of Harry Potter.

Which, I guess, beats him coming back as a lich and trying to marry Shal Bal.

The earth elemental that recovered him from the rubble came back heavily damaged. She has not yet put together that there is some sort of rotting plant creature underneath Phlan.

The rotting plant creature is a spawn of Moander that was created when Tarl Desanae was turned into a vampire while in a shrine of the Old Moldy. While the group faced the creature in earlier forms, it has persistently returned and it has since captured the Hammer of Tyr, which Tyranthraxus had managed to secure within his horde.

Rhewtani Posted - 02 Dec 2010 : 20:57:54
So, in the meanwhile, the player who is out of town managed to convince a mage to retrieve Cadorna (alive but turned to mithral) and a gnoll from the collapsed ruins of the castle. She pressed the gnoll into her service and then privately confronted Cadorna. He explained away that while he did not stop him, for the most part Gensor (his house mage) was behind the attacks that took place upon her in the past. He's currently nothing more than Lucius Malfoy at the end of book 7 of Harry Potter.

Which, I guess, beats him coming back as a lich and trying to marry Shal Bal.

The earth elemental that recovered him from the rubble came back heavily damaged. She has not yet put together that there is some sort of rotting plant creature underneath Phlan.

The rotting plant creature is a spawn of Moander that was created when Tarl Desanae was turned into a vampire while in a shrine of the Old Moldy. While the group faced the creature in earlier forms, it has persistently returned and it has since captured the Hammer of Tyr, which Tyranthraxus had managed to secure within his horde.

Rhewtani Posted - 30 Nov 2010 : 16:19:59
So, the red dragon got away. He had time to either find a hiding place in the city or he's been left on the astral sea. If he stays in the city he'll be able to retrieve some of his horde. If he goes out into the astral sea, he can reconnect with his his fellow cabal member Gothmenes/Tanetal on Moander's corpse and seek vengeance on the party (also reclaiming several of his magical treasures from their corpses).

The party did destroy three of his spawnlings - two half-dragon dire tigers and a half-dragon half demon creature. So, thoughts? What should a red dragon value most?

The party did learn "just because she tortures people for fun doesn't mean she's always an awful person" in their encounter with the priestess of Loviatar.

Next up, I believe, is Hulburg. This was intended to be their 1st or 2nd encounter. However, with time having passed, I feel okay bumping it up being a challenge. They will be facing Kaliste, some drow, and hopefully some pirates!

Yar!
Rhewtani Posted - 22 Nov 2010 : 16:02:42
So, my layout for the next game is basically this:

The party will determine that they cannot make it back through the portal without assistance. The High Priest of Loviatar will come down and offer to negotiate. After hearing the situation from the party, they will recess in order to discuss and return later to give terms:

-The party's two priests must remain behind as collateral (this player has to skip the game).
-In their stead, two others will be sent.
--The slain priestess of Loviatar (who will be seeking revenge on the party). This will be Suzildara Sharranen (later to become High Whipmistress).
--The prisoner they found being tortured.
-They are to limit their interaction with the people of Melvaunt and stick strictly to their mission, returning immediately after.
-One representative of the group must also submit to a geas binding them individually to the terms of the arrangement.

From there they will be informed that a green dragon (it's actually red, but there's an illusion up on it, like the glabrezu/gelugon from Verdigris). It has taken up residence in Nanther Keep (Apparently Nanther's gardens are used to grow exotic spell components. So, I think they'll be able to profit off of the dragon corpse that'll be left there at the end of this adventure. It helps tie into Nanther's rising power in the later 1350s).

During this meeting they'll also see, but not actually interact with, a priest of Beshaba. I still need to work out why a Cavalier and follower of Tymora from Baldur's Gate has been captured by Priests of Loviatar, but I'm sure I'll need a Beshaban priest as a link.

The priestess will take them to the city center, first to Blackalbuck's Sales & Swap. If they seek to purchase healing potions (which they should, they're out of them), he'll actually give them mislabeled ones that are stronger - assuming he finds out why they're here.

From there it's assault on Nather Keep. The High Priest of Loviatar will have arranged for catapult fire upon Nanther Keep to commense shortly before the party arrives. This will lead to a wall breach, but also draw the attention of the dragon and his cohorts. Thorne will first send several half-dragon spawnlings he has. I'm going to look for some sort of dragon/tanari cross-breeds.

He has the "Horn of Doom" or the "Horm of Storms" which, I think will be in the hands of a minion for the battle. Part of the horn's power is tied to Melvaunt, itself, then there is also the superior level it operates on before it passes through the pool of darkess and the inferior way it operates after.

Lord Nanther and his men will make sure to arrive "just a little late" to move in after the dragon dies. The dragon hoard will be a special issue.
1) IF they move quick they can get some things stowed before Lord Nanther arrives.
2) IF they have saved the Priestess' life during the battle or shown her tolerance or kindness, she will not tell Lord Nanther and will not also demand a tithe from what they have taken.
3) IF they are kind, but don't have that really special moment with her, then she will just demand tithe on their way out.
4) IF they mistreat her, she will argue with them when they try to take from the hoard and will alert Lord Nanther if needed.

Rhewtani Posted - 19 Nov 2010 : 19:22:26
Yet. You haven't heard of a paladin who did those things ... yet.
Ayrik Posted - 19 Nov 2010 : 18:40:01
Can't say I've ever heard of a paladin who won his Holy Avenger in a card game. Or runs his holy warhorse on the racetracks.
Rhewtani Posted - 19 Nov 2010 : 12:21:38
I thought so, too. But, I figured it'd be interesting. However, it turns out he made a Rogue 2 / Cavalier 6. Still, dedicated to Tymora. I still need to figure out what he could have done in Melvaunt (either before or after it got city-napped), that would drop him in the basement.
Ayrik Posted - 18 Nov 2010 : 21:31:08
Loviatar and Beshaba might be temporarily allied in some obscurely dark goal, maybe something to do with chaining Tyranthraxus or twisting the magic of the pool. Champions of Tymora (odd choice for a paladin) might naturally be drawn to this conflict so they could wave their lucky swords around to keep things balanced. Your paladin might only be part of the first wave of serious Tymoran involvement.

Poison (or poisoned energy channelings?) is always a passable deus ex sort of prop to explain inconvenient mysterious deaths. A curse or Geas (or magical sniper) are equally likely and any of these could hint at greater gears of villainy driving the story machinery along a predetermined plot.
Rhewtani Posted - 18 Nov 2010 : 21:03:19
I think he was just making up a word that would sound ominous coming from a dying man.

Problem, of course, for me is that they dropped two positive energy channelings very early on, so the guy couldn't actually be dying.

Unless he was poisoned ... ! :)

Just found out the new Paladin is a Paladin of Tymora. So, also looking for why a Paladin of Tymora would be locked in the basement of the Temple being tortured by Loviatar worshippers and a kyton.
Ayrik Posted - 18 Nov 2010 : 20:57:08
quote:
Markustay
"Beware! Beware the Klargott! don't go into the cellarrrr..... ugh"
What's a Klargott? Swedish for "clear good"? "ready best"? Something seems to be lost in translation, what does it mean?
Rhewtani Posted - 18 Nov 2010 : 20:48:06
So, of course, the situation has sort of solved itself. My brother-in-law is joining the group and possibly playing a Paladin. So, who is the guy lashed to two columns in chapel? Well - that guy.

Now, one of my players is out, so I need to remove his two characters - the divine powerhouse of the group an Inquisitor of Waukeen and a Cleric of Moradin.

The party is currently locked in a basement within the temple of Loviatar in Melvaunt. Melvaunt, as indicated above is locked somewhere on the astral plane anchored there by an artifact that is tethered through their pool of darkness.

The Priests of Loviatar have sealed off the pool from their side, believing nothing would be able to come through, but in actuality they sealed in such a way that nothing could leave through it. So, the PCs are soon to find that they are trapped in the room.

My thought is for the Temple of Loviatar to negotiate travel terms with the party: that they may venture into Melvaunt only for the purpose of returning the city to Toril. The Temple will hold two of their number hostage, replacing them with two of their "own."

This will end up being the priestess they slew (who will be resurrected) and Chris' paladin of whoever. He's new to FR, but has plenty of experience with dnd. He had asked to worship an equivalent to St. Cuthbert, which I need to figure out. I know there's an adventure that uses Hoar? I'm thinking he's looking for something along the lines of Tempus, Torm, or Helm.

From here the adventure revolves aroune Thorne, a red dragon masquerading as a green dragon. He has the horn of doom which I need to develop minor artifact level powers for. In the VG it caused storms "all over the realms," though I think this is going to be linked to being used in a specific place.

On a side note, for kicks, I threw in a link to Curse of the Azure Bonds. In Verdigris they found out that some blonde hair man in blackened armor had come through and stolen the "Sword of Lathander" from the crypt of one of the silver blades. Hee hee.

So, I'm thinking Thorne will have taken residence somewhere within Melvaunt, itself, maybe having done severe damage to the structure that'll be something to reference back to in the future.

I don't know much more than that. I need to give some Melvaunt flavor to the adventure, because one of my goals with this mini-campaign is a tour of various cities (Verdigris, Hulburg, Melvaunt, and of course - Phlan, 10 years later than their last experience).
Markustay Posted - 11 Nov 2010 : 01:51:43
Well, there's your jumping-off point right there. Where do you want them to go? Whatever/wherever it is, that torture victim should be the key. If he is alive, he could have information leading to {drumroll please...} 'the big, important thing'!

Which could be anything your heart desires - a damsel in distress, a 'lost treasure', a den of evil, his kid's teddy bear (that was actually used in the Diablo video game), etc...

If he is dead, then you need to leave something behind - perhaps the priestess was writing down information on a scrap of parchment, or there was a locket, or a badly-scrawled map, etc...

Or you could go the over-used (but still cool) dramatic route, and have him die in their arms as he was trying to say something which they only half heard, like "Beware! Beware the Klargott! don't go into the cellarrrr..... ugh"

Cheesy, I know, but fun.

Or maybe they just examine his body and find a map tattooed to it, or even carved into it (depends on how gruesome you like your fantasy). Or you could do both - have the map cut into him, and have some strange symbol tattooed onto him somewhere else. you don't even need to really flesh-it out right now - it could all build on it's own momentum.

Just keep in mind that it has to have been something Loviatar's clergy (or at least that one priestess) is interested in.
Rhewtani Posted - 11 Nov 2010 : 01:10:49
So, the party just freed New Verdigris from the web of cities trapped in the astral sea. Instead of returning to Phlan as I assumed they would they headed to the larger city - to Melvaunt. So, I had to decide where the pool was that was being used. I placed it in a chamber in the temple of loviatar. The priestess there had summoned a kyton to torture someone who was chained to a column.

They dispatched the two guards, the priestess ... and we left off there. I did also have them hear the door get secured from the other side.

So, I'm not too sure where to go from there. They were asking about the torture victim, and I really didn't have anything prepared for him.
Mr_Miscellany Posted - 28 Oct 2010 : 19:54:06
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, when the book was written, I'm sure the authors didn't know the designers were planning on bringing him back. It prolly wasn't even in the works, then -- Finder's Bane was published in 1997.
That'd be my take as well.

Bane's return was debated amongst the designers working on the FRCS. A vote was taken and the majority voted for his return, but that would have been around 1999 or 2000.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Besides which, there were a lot of little hints here and there in 3E lore that make me thing Bane didn't come back -- I think Iyachtu Xvim decided to fake the whole thing, to cash in on Daddy's rep. We do have numerous instances in Realmslore of deities pretending to be other deities.
If you were to ask a designer right after the FRCS was released, "Is that really Bane?" you'd not get a sly or evasive answer. You'd get, "Yep, that's Bane. He's back. And no, they're not going to write a novel about his return."

However things certainly do change in the Realms, especially since one designer's/editors intent can be altered by their successors as new products are released.
Markustay Posted - 28 Oct 2010 : 17:51:06
It's really all the same thing, which I covered in another thread (several, probably).

There really is very little difference between the offspring of a deity and an Avatar. In most cases, an Avatar is created by the god alone, but their are exceptions (as is the case of tripatriate deities, for example). Normally, by the same token, an offspring is created by a deity with another being, but their are exceptions to that as well (in mythology). In both cases, a small bit of 'divine energy' is used for procreation, and that bit is passed onto the newly created being. Ergo, a divine offspring is little more then a Manifestation (a self-willed avatar).

However, once self-will is given, the created individual is just that - an INDIVIDUAL. This means that it could develop its own agenda quite different from its parent-deity. In some cases, this Will can be strong-enough to create a separate branch of the church, and if enough power is thereby gained, the Manifestation could theoretically absorb its parent if it becomes more powerful.

So we don't really know what exactly happened in that instance - it could be the Xvim became strong-enough to subsume whatever godly essence Bane had left. Either way, at the end of the day, we were left with the same result. A splitting of energy, and then a re-merging at a later time.

Very similar to what happened when the Pharonic Pantheon was finally allowed into Realmspace, and re-absorbed its 'wayward' Manifestations.

This is why I tend to think of "all things divine" like a 'cosmic lavalamp' - in the beginning there was one great, big ball of energy, and as it drifted around it split and re-split and created hundreds of smaller 'droplets', some of which merged together, some of which split even further, and some were re-absorbed back into the larger mass. In the end, everything is but a part of the greater whole.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Oct 2010 : 04:30:43
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

Ok, so I found a wiki entry for Finders Bane. The ending seems really bad considering ... Bane does reawaken shortly after.

Well, when the book was written, I'm sure the authors didn't know the designers were planning on bringing him back. It prolly wasn't even in the works, then -- Finder's Bane was published in 1997.

Besides which, there were a lot of little hints here and there in 3E lore that make me thing Bane didn't come back -- I think Iyachtu Xvim decided to fake the whole thing, to cash in on Daddy's rep. We do have numerous instances in Realmslore of deities pretending to be other deities.
Rhewtani Posted - 26 Oct 2010 : 15:30:11
quote:
My only question is this: aren't most of the denizens of all the cities somewhat mind-blanked at the end of the Pools of Darkness? So that they feel most of what transpired was only a "dream" of sorts?

I'm still thinking about that one. Supposedly Tyr blanks everyone's mind except for the heroes and El. However, since there is no Adon and the Hammer of Tyr has already been stolen by Bane, I'm not sure I see a great reason for Tyr's direct involvement.
Rhewtani Posted - 26 Oct 2010 : 15:25:35
Ok, so I found a wiki entry for Finders Bane. The ending seems really bad considering ... Bane does reawaken shortly after.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Oct 2010 : 04:40:35
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

quote:
We do have a Hand of Bane in canon... It was nearly used to bring him back to life.

I'd go for something similar in theme, though... Maybe the Imperceptor's Gauntlet, a gauntlet worn by the first High Imperceptor of Bane. You have to wear it to draw on any of its many powers, but once it's on, it's not coming back off... And for it's powers, I'd start with something like it giving the abilities of a banelich, and go from there.

I just made this up, so it's something you can use without being bound by canon.

Where can I learn about the hand of bane? I like the imperceptor's gauntlet idea - I'm probably going with that, but I want to wrap my head around the hand of bane, as well.

Heh, I'm never bound by canon, I just wrap myself in its warm embrace. :)

It was in the novel Finder's Bane. I'm pretty sure it was intro'ed for that book.
Rhewtani Posted - 25 Oct 2010 : 18:43:01
quote:
We do have a Hand of Bane in canon... It was nearly used to bring him back to life.

I'd go for something similar in theme, though... Maybe the Imperceptor's Gauntlet, a gauntlet worn by the first High Imperceptor of Bane. You have to wear it to draw on any of its many powers, but once it's on, it's not coming back off... And for it's powers, I'd start with something like it giving the abilities of a banelich, and go from there.

I just made this up, so it's something you can use without being bound by canon.

Where can I learn about the hand of bane? I like the imperceptor's gauntlet idea - I'm probably going with that, but I want to wrap my head around the hand of bane, as well.

Heh, I'm never bound by canon, I just wrap myself in its warm embrace. :)
Rhewtani Posted - 25 Oct 2010 : 16:25:50
The novel for curse doesn't tie in, but the adventure does - since Tyranthraxus is part the group behind the bonds. So, you end up facing off against T, while he's standing in a PoR.
Ayrik Posted - 23 Oct 2010 : 17:42:53
I know of the Ruins of Adventure module based on the Pool of Radiance CRPG and novel; the Pools of Darkness CRPG and novel; the Pool of Twilight novel. I'm not sure how Curse of the Azure Bonds and Secret of the Silver Blades fit in since I never read the Finder's Stone trilogy or played FRC2 or any of the CRPGs. I don't know if Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor is even related. There might be other references to the pools I don't know about.
Markustay Posted - 23 Oct 2010 : 17:26:13
AFAIK, the Pools were only mentioned in the three(?) novels, and whatever VG's came out about them (which I never played). However, just because I don't remember them from a source book doesn't mean they aren't in one. The only novel I read was Pool of Twilight, which was kinda bland except for some wee-bit of Evermeet lore tucked away there.

In my HB I've connected the pools to Moonwells, and also at least one pool (pond, really) sacred to Eldath. In the before-time, when the Primordials were building the world, they needed a convenient way to access 'the heavens' (outer planes) and draw energy from there. For the Primordials they also functioned as a combination portal & scrying pool; one that they could cast spells through. They allowed certain 'servants' (mortal beings they elevated to the rank of Exarch) to tap into these pools as well, and draw 'divine energies' from them.

After the world was fashioned and it was seeded with the Creator Races the Pools were to be closed-off, but many gods (primordials and deities alike) choose to turn them to other purposes. They still function as conduits to the Outer Planes, from whence powerful energies can be drawn. However, the energies are drawn from whatever plane the pool is attuned to, and the pool must first be attuned by a being of divine status (demi-power or higher). This means that in almost every case, the being will attune the pool to its own home plane (which could cause taint, corruption, or any number of unsavory side-effects).

That's all HomeBrew though - I try to rid the world of redundancy by tying stuff together whenever possible.
Ayrik Posted - 23 Oct 2010 : 01:34:46
Minor off-topic - Can anybody briefly list all the canon sources and novels which relate to the pools?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000