Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Pools of Darkness
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  17:53:28  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
After a month break, I'm about to get back into our campaign. So, I'm starting a new thread to build up my story for a re-envisioned Pools of Darkness.

In 1340 Tyranthraxus was able to activate the pool in Phlan and actually used it to get to Myth Drannor. This did two things: It alerted Bane to the presence of the pools being active and it also alerted him to Tyranthraxus' presence. It's all fine and good having your subjugated demipowers showing back up, but that's only if you can keep them in check.

So, he summons Marcus (who knows both Yarash and Dracandros). He puts Marcus into the process of learning how the pools work. Marcus is told that once the cities are brought out of the prime material the people will recognize Bane's power and serve him. Once this is complete, Marcus will draw more and more cities into the web.

In 1347 Hulburg gets all but destroyed and Marcus is then able to slip in unnoticed and begin ritual to activate the pools open them and relocate them to another plane. This involves using artifacts as anchors and tying the magic through the pool across another plane, through another pool and to another artifact. After a short duration the pools contract around the cord and people are not able to pass through them.

The next link is to be Verdigris where there is a pool that Bane learned about through Eldamar (from Secret of the Silver Blades) the Dreadlord. "The artifacts are going to be vulnerable ...," Bane tells Marcus. He has Marcus summon the devil Tanetal, but something goes amiss and he accidentally summons Gothmenes the Balor.

Gothmenes interested in the artifacts, the pools, and the opportunity for chaos and such, appoints Kalistes, a Glabrezu and Thorne the Red Dragon to impersonate devils and a green dragon. This fools Marcus, but not Bane. Bane chooses not to tell Marcus, since he is ... well, he's Bane. I need to name the Glabrezu.

After Hulburg, Verdigris, Phlan, and Melvaunt are pulled into the ritual Bane sends Marcus to Tanetal in Phlan. The Glabrezu is to guard Verdigris, and Kalistes is to guard Hulburg, and Thorne is to guard Melvaunt. Now, Bane sends through a more trustworthy servant through to Verdigris to acquire something before the portals collapse. Oswulf, one of the original silver blades who faced Eldamar the first time wielded a magical longsword dedicated to Lathander that could be very useful later.

This is where things go a little wrong. Elminster, as he often does, notices things, and Fzoul Chembryl on a ship set for Hulburg is enough of an oddity that he tracks him through the pool. He sees him pass into an icy cave through the pool (Verdigris), but before he can follow, the nexus starts to tie off. He uses silver fire to hold it open and looks about at the other portals in hopes of a reasonably good idea.

He is already aware that adventures sought to stop Tyranthraxus ten years ago and he gave them some minor assistance. He knows that through some means a heavy amount of magic turned them all to mithral and extensive spell research would be needed to reverse that. He also knows that the wizard hired by Lord Valjevo is actually the lich Akempus from Northkeep using the portal to Phlan to get there.

He provides Akempus with the inspiration to use the pool as the needed energy source for the spell. He provides only partial information to him and makes sure that the ritual would not work without his involvement from the other side of the pool. After they're restored to mortal forms, he can summon the PCs through the portal to aid him.

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  18:07:07  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Areas of the Campaign:

1) The Nexus

This area is roughly a 15-foot radius ball with a pseudo gravity at the walls. In the center of the ball is Elminster, hovering between the four portals, channeling silver fire into four portals spaced somewhat evenly about the nexus. It is black and gray swirling energy looking place.

2a) Phlan

Phlan is linked to the nexus through its pool of darkness (radiance), beneath Valjevo Castle. It has been separated from the moonsea portal network and placed in the abyss.

2b) Gothmenes Lair

Both Marcus and Gothmenes are held up here protecting [an artifact] that holds Phlan in place. Gothmenes is a balor masquerading as a pit fiend.

3a) Hulburg

Hulburg is linked to the nexus through its pool of darkness. The city is in ruins, having been sacked in 1347, but what's left of it is in the abyss. Various small groups are hulled up in fortifications. This should include the various nobles as well as pirates and some monsters. The nobles having to hole up together would probably bring some "renewed unity" to them that might help Hulburg rebuild, so it can exist in 4e.

3b) Kalistes Lair

Kalistes has drawn in her drow followers to her to protect herself and [an artifact] the holds Hulburg in place. She'll be playing up the spider theme, naturally. Kalistes is a Marilith masquerading as a Cornugon.

4a) Verdigris

Verdigris is linked to the nexus through its well of knowledge. The city is encased within a glacier and only inhabited by monsters, ghosts, and its guardian. The party should be able to find the excavated remains of Oswulf the Paladin (with his sword missing). They would also find a wand with very few remaining charges of some sort of fire-based clerical spell (for melting through the ice to get to the sword) and evidence that Oswulf was a Paladin of Lathander.

4b) Glabrezu Lair

Less well guarded than the other areas, since it is primarily uninhabited. The Glabrezu should appear to be a Gelugon, but also be shivering constantly.

5a) Melvaunt

Better populated than Phlan and the other cities. Melvaunt has been transplanted to Abyss, tethered through its magical pool.

5b) Thorne's Lair

Thorne is masquerading as a green dragon. The artifact may be harder to find here, as it would be amongst his horde. Hopefully, this will be the third place they visit allowing them to find a large amount of treasure before the final battle in Phlan.

4b)

Edited by - Rhewtani on 05 Oct 2010 21:12:42
Go to Top of Page

Xevo
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  01:53:25  Show Profile Send Xevo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other than a name for the Glabrezu (which I have a few), what sort of help do you need? Sounds pretty good to me so far.
Glabrezu names:
Mastema, Melchai Dael, Asmodai, Harangula, Malphaes, Fafnael, Nyrandros, Pruflas, Metzengerstein, Barclayt, Sahaquiel, Sasziel, Cassiel, Agrais, Bloathwait, Une-Zaad, Bazbir, Vergabestur.
I could keep giving more but I figured this was a good start.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
-Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  16:38:21  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Xevo. I'm looking for gaps in logic, areas that will need expanding or explanation, and any advice for things to throw in from the book and the video game. Most of the real intuitive leaps (demons v. devils, because of the discrepancy between the video game and the book) will be lost on my players, but I like to know I did my best to really handle everything.

Any ideas for things to link it forward to Curse of the Azure Bonds, back to Secret of the Silver Blades, and other realmsian drapings that I can do, would be great.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  05:09:03  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

Areas of the Campaign:

3a) Hulburg

Hulburg is linked to the nexus through its pool of darkness. The city is in ruins, having been sacked in 1347, but what's left of it is in the abyss. Various small groups are hulled up in fortifications. This should include the various nobles as well as pirates and some monsters. The nobles having to hole up together would probably bring some "renewed unity" to them that might help Hulburg rebuild, so it can exist in 4e.

I really like your take on how the forced unity of the nobles will allow Hulburg to rebuild.

My only question is this: aren't most of the denizens of all the cities somewhat mind-blanked at the end of the Pools of Darkness? So that they feel most of what transpired was only a "dream" of sorts?

Personally, while I love the Pools of Radiance...I use them a bit differently (well, explain them a bit differently) in my games now.

To me, they are originally places in which magic "pooled" in the world...and were tied by Ley Lines later by the LeShay (I prefer to just call them Fey) or whatever they were.

Specifically, my reading and talks with others have pointed me to a particular place from which much of this Magical Energy (Meighbhal?; can't remember how that word is spelled right now) originates in the Moonsea area.

The Falls of Ixce.

It seems that at one point, Tyranthraxus (I call him Tyrant Hraxus) was defeated and put in the waters of Lake Longreach to be "imprisoned" within a glass vial...lousy prison if you ask me!

Well, that put ol' T in reach of Both Verdigris via the river called Razack's Tears...as well as the Falls of Ixce.

It was my thought that by utilizing these sources of pooled magical energy called Pools of Radiance, he was then able to also enter any of the others via Ley Lines of magical energy. "Luckily" for Tyrant Hraxus he was somewhat empowered by discovering this after his so called prison was probably broken.

I'm kinda going on and on here...but to me it is of crucial importance that it seems that Lake Longreach could also have an underground exit of water that eventually erupts south of the Dragonspine Mountains into the Stojanow River...right into both Phlan and then the Moonsea!

Phlan has a Pool of Radiance we know...and as Ley Lines of magical energy are said to follow the "life-blood" of the world (as in its rivers) more heavily because of the rivers being the life carrying medium on land...it would seem that the Pools of Radiance are all tied together via these Fey Ley-Lines...

Fey "back roads" are also most likely tied into these Ley-Lines as well as other less noticed powerful markers such as Mountain Chains, great forests and etc.

The "Way of the Powrie" as has been mentioned by others and accepted by me is most likely a left-over term of a literal Way of the Fey (as Powrie are a type of Faerie/Sprite sort)...or a Fey Road.

So in truth, I think the Pools of Radiance make perfect fits with a theory that they are great pools of magical power that most are unaware of how to control...but could function as magical conduits/terminals for Fey Roads and as sources of great power (obviously).

If I had any suggestion to you at all it would be to read up on a section of a book called Magic of Faerun (3.0 book); the section being Chapter Four (Places of Power) that an old acquaintance of mine named Angel McCoy (awesome writer...wish she had been able to do more) was primarily responsible for where Fey matters are concerned.

There you will find some AWESOME ideas that tie in heavily with Pools and such.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2010 :  15:19:38  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was good to refresh myself with Magic of Faerun. I often try to look there for magic items, too. To make sure I'm not just giving out whatever I can roll up in the MIC.

So, the guardians need to be protecting artifacts, and I intend to use MINOR artifacts for this, since the PCs could end up with 4 of them.

So, Gothmenes/Tanetal has the talisman of bane, Kalistes is protecting a crystal ring of some sort, Thorne has the horn of doom/storms, and Xenovael has, I think, the beacon of true faith (from the Pathfinder APG). I would like to figure out powers for the first three that will make them memorable enough. I do intend for them to be used against the PCs and used by them later. However, it's doubtful anyone will invoke the Talisman of Bane.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2010 :  16:39:33  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Verdigris only detailed in Monument of the Ancients?
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  22:19:24  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Time to get myself back on page 1. I did a basic write-up for Verdigris to email my players and that worked pretty well. I actually queued up a blurb on each of the main towns in the campaign to be received by them each morning. They liked that.

I'm thinking of making the crystal ring a ring of wizardy 1 with an eschew materials/focus ability. I'm also going to give it charges that can mitigate material components of gp values with 1,000/charge spent. Overall, that might actually be too weak for an artifact, though. Is it?

I'm thinking of making the "talisman of bane" into the "hand of bane" being some sort of relic that will have some "hand of vecna" like connotations and also possibly turn the "wearer" into a baneguard or banedead or somesuch. I figured it'll just burn up into ash when ToT comes.

I think regardless of the powers to the horn of storms has, it'll cause the user to burn out their voice for a full day - no verbal components, no command word item usage, no breath weapons. Thus, since Thorne has been using it, his lack of access to his breath weapon will knock him down a notch CR-wise.

I'm going to use the Malhavoc product "Dead Gods" or whatever it's called to flesh out (he he) the corpse of Moander. I have Phlan floating in the astral sea with Moander's corpse within view (I keep telling them it's "about a mile away"). I have run into the problem that they think they should help Phlan first and head directly to the floating "rock" in the sky. I'm hoping soundly rebuffing them when if they make an attempt will push them in other directions. I had hoped they'd just want to use Phlan as a staging ground and clear out the other towns first. Gothmenes should be able to kill them, if they show up there first.

Running Elminster was a little sketchy for me, I got a "methinks" and a bunch of "aye" and "lad" into the dialogue, but not really enough to make me proud of it. I'll keep working on it.

I forgot to have them roll saves for magic items as they used the portals, so I came up with the logic that it'll only happen when they close a portal. I figure the backlash will surge right through the nexus, but they can try leaving one person behind with no magic items to carry the artifact through while they go ahead and enter a different portal. But, if they do that, then one of those times, the "last man through" is gonna get attacked.
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  19:19:22  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is Verdigris only detailed in Monument of the Ancients?

There and the old SSI computer game "The Silver Blades." I beleive I had posted history of New Verdigris here. BTW, I never have found the town description of New Verdigris that I mention in that scroll. I fear that it may be on a 5.25" disc, rather than a 3.5" disc, and I have no method of reading those any more. Perhaps after my next surgery, I'll have the time to recreate the material.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2010 :  00:10:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm thinking of making the "talisman of bane" into the "hand of bane" being some sort of relic that will have some "hand of vecna" like connotations and also possibly turn the "wearer" into a baneguard or banedead or somesuch. I figured it'll just burn up into ash when ToT comes.

We do have a Hand of Bane in canon... It was nearly used to bring him back to life.

I'd go for something similar in theme, though... Maybe the Imperceptor's Gauntlet, a gauntlet worn by the first High Imperceptor of Bane. You have to wear it to draw on any of its many powers, but once it's on, it's not coming back off... And for it's powers, I'd start with something like it giving the abilities of a banelich, and go from there.

I just made this up, so it's something you can use without being bound by canon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2010 :  01:34:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Minor off-topic - Can anybody briefly list all the canon sources and novels which relate to the pools?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2010 :  17:26:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AFAIK, the Pools were only mentioned in the three(?) novels, and whatever VG's came out about them (which I never played). However, just because I don't remember them from a source book doesn't mean they aren't in one. The only novel I read was Pool of Twilight, which was kinda bland except for some wee-bit of Evermeet lore tucked away there.

In my HB I've connected the pools to Moonwells, and also at least one pool (pond, really) sacred to Eldath. In the before-time, when the Primordials were building the world, they needed a convenient way to access 'the heavens' (outer planes) and draw energy from there. For the Primordials they also functioned as a combination portal & scrying pool; one that they could cast spells through. They allowed certain 'servants' (mortal beings they elevated to the rank of Exarch) to tap into these pools as well, and draw 'divine energies' from them.

After the world was fashioned and it was seeded with the Creator Races the Pools were to be closed-off, but many gods (primordials and deities alike) choose to turn them to other purposes. They still function as conduits to the Outer Planes, from whence powerful energies can be drawn. However, the energies are drawn from whatever plane the pool is attuned to, and the pool must first be attuned by a being of divine status (demi-power or higher). This means that in almost every case, the being will attune the pool to its own home plane (which could cause taint, corruption, or any number of unsavory side-effects).

That's all HomeBrew though - I try to rid the world of redundancy by tying stuff together whenever possible.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Oct 2010 17:30:35
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2010 :  17:42:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know of the Ruins of Adventure module based on the Pool of Radiance CRPG and novel; the Pools of Darkness CRPG and novel; the Pool of Twilight novel. I'm not sure how Curse of the Azure Bonds and Secret of the Silver Blades fit in since I never read the Finder's Stone trilogy or played FRC2 or any of the CRPGs. I don't know if Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor is even related. There might be other references to the pools I don't know about.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 23 Oct 2010 17:46:11
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  16:25:50  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The novel for curse doesn't tie in, but the adventure does - since Tyranthraxus is part the group behind the bonds. So, you end up facing off against T, while he's standing in a PoR.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  18:43:01  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
We do have a Hand of Bane in canon... It was nearly used to bring him back to life.

I'd go for something similar in theme, though... Maybe the Imperceptor's Gauntlet, a gauntlet worn by the first High Imperceptor of Bane. You have to wear it to draw on any of its many powers, but once it's on, it's not coming back off... And for it's powers, I'd start with something like it giving the abilities of a banelich, and go from there.

I just made this up, so it's something you can use without being bound by canon.

Where can I learn about the hand of bane? I like the imperceptor's gauntlet idea - I'm probably going with that, but I want to wrap my head around the hand of bane, as well.

Heh, I'm never bound by canon, I just wrap myself in its warm embrace. :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  04:40:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Where can I learn about the hand of bane? I like the imperceptor's gauntlet idea - I'm probably going with that, but I want to wrap my head around the hand of bane, as well.

Heh, I'm never bound by canon, I just wrap myself in its warm embrace. :)

It was in the novel Finder's Bane. I'm pretty sure it was intro'ed for that book.

Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  15:25:35  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I found a wiki entry for Finders Bane. The ending seems really bad considering ... Bane does reawaken shortly after.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  15:30:11  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
My only question is this: aren't most of the denizens of all the cities somewhat mind-blanked at the end of the Pools of Darkness? So that they feel most of what transpired was only a "dream" of sorts?

I'm still thinking about that one. Supposedly Tyr blanks everyone's mind except for the heroes and El. However, since there is no Adon and the Hammer of Tyr has already been stolen by Bane, I'm not sure I see a great reason for Tyr's direct involvement.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  04:30:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok, so I found a wiki entry for Finders Bane. The ending seems really bad considering ... Bane does reawaken shortly after.

Well, when the book was written, I'm sure the authors didn't know the designers were planning on bringing him back. It prolly wasn't even in the works, then -- Finder's Bane was published in 1997.

Besides which, there were a lot of little hints here and there in 3E lore that make me thing Bane didn't come back -- I think Iyachtu Xvim decided to fake the whole thing, to cash in on Daddy's rep. We do have numerous instances in Realmslore of deities pretending to be other deities.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  17:51:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's really all the same thing, which I covered in another thread (several, probably).

There really is very little difference between the offspring of a deity and an Avatar. In most cases, an Avatar is created by the god alone, but their are exceptions (as is the case of tripatriate deities, for example). Normally, by the same token, an offspring is created by a deity with another being, but their are exceptions to that as well (in mythology). In both cases, a small bit of 'divine energy' is used for procreation, and that bit is passed onto the newly created being. Ergo, a divine offspring is little more then a Manifestation (a self-willed avatar).

However, once self-will is given, the created individual is just that - an INDIVIDUAL. This means that it could develop its own agenda quite different from its parent-deity. In some cases, this Will can be strong-enough to create a separate branch of the church, and if enough power is thereby gained, the Manifestation could theoretically absorb its parent if it becomes more powerful.

So we don't really know what exactly happened in that instance - it could be the Xvim became strong-enough to subsume whatever godly essence Bane had left. Either way, at the end of the day, we were left with the same result. A splitting of energy, and then a re-merging at a later time.

Very similar to what happened when the Pharonic Pantheon was finally allowed into Realmspace, and re-absorbed its 'wayward' Manifestations.

This is why I tend to think of "all things divine" like a 'cosmic lavalamp' - in the beginning there was one great, big ball of energy, and as it drifted around it split and re-split and created hundreds of smaller 'droplets', some of which merged together, some of which split even further, and some were re-absorbed back into the larger mass. In the end, everything is but a part of the greater whole.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Oct 2010 20:23:06
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  19:54:06  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, when the book was written, I'm sure the authors didn't know the designers were planning on bringing him back. It prolly wasn't even in the works, then -- Finder's Bane was published in 1997.
That'd be my take as well.

Bane's return was debated amongst the designers working on the FRCS. A vote was taken and the majority voted for his return, but that would have been around 1999 or 2000.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Besides which, there were a lot of little hints here and there in 3E lore that make me thing Bane didn't come back -- I think Iyachtu Xvim decided to fake the whole thing, to cash in on Daddy's rep. We do have numerous instances in Realmslore of deities pretending to be other deities.
If you were to ask a designer right after the FRCS was released, "Is that really Bane?" you'd not get a sly or evasive answer. You'd get, "Yep, that's Bane. He's back. And no, they're not going to write a novel about his return."

However things certainly do change in the Realms, especially since one designer's/editors intent can be altered by their successors as new products are released.

Edited by - Mr_Miscellany on 28 Oct 2010 19:54:32
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  01:10:49  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, the party just freed New Verdigris from the web of cities trapped in the astral sea. Instead of returning to Phlan as I assumed they would they headed to the larger city - to Melvaunt. So, I had to decide where the pool was that was being used. I placed it in a chamber in the temple of loviatar. The priestess there had summoned a kyton to torture someone who was chained to a column.

They dispatched the two guards, the priestess ... and we left off there. I did also have them hear the door get secured from the other side.

So, I'm not too sure where to go from there. They were asking about the torture victim, and I really didn't have anything prepared for him.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  01:51:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there's your jumping-off point right there. Where do you want them to go? Whatever/wherever it is, that torture victim should be the key. If he is alive, he could have information leading to {drumroll please...} 'the big, important thing'!

Which could be anything your heart desires - a damsel in distress, a 'lost treasure', a den of evil, his kid's teddy bear (that was actually used in the Diablo video game), etc...

If he is dead, then you need to leave something behind - perhaps the priestess was writing down information on a scrap of parchment, or there was a locket, or a badly-scrawled map, etc...

Or you could go the over-used (but still cool) dramatic route, and have him die in their arms as he was trying to say something which they only half heard, like "Beware! Beware the Klargott! don't go into the cellarrrr..... ugh"

Cheesy, I know, but fun.

Or maybe they just examine his body and find a map tattooed to it, or even carved into it (depends on how gruesome you like your fantasy). Or you could do both - have the map cut into him, and have some strange symbol tattooed onto him somewhere else. you don't even need to really flesh-it out right now - it could all build on it's own momentum.

Just keep in mind that it has to have been something Loviatar's clergy (or at least that one priestess) is interested in.

Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  20:48:06  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, of course, the situation has sort of solved itself. My brother-in-law is joining the group and possibly playing a Paladin. So, who is the guy lashed to two columns in chapel? Well - that guy.

Now, one of my players is out, so I need to remove his two characters - the divine powerhouse of the group an Inquisitor of Waukeen and a Cleric of Moradin.

The party is currently locked in a basement within the temple of Loviatar in Melvaunt. Melvaunt, as indicated above is locked somewhere on the astral plane anchored there by an artifact that is tethered through their pool of darkness.

The Priests of Loviatar have sealed off the pool from their side, believing nothing would be able to come through, but in actuality they sealed in such a way that nothing could leave through it. So, the PCs are soon to find that they are trapped in the room.

My thought is for the Temple of Loviatar to negotiate travel terms with the party: that they may venture into Melvaunt only for the purpose of returning the city to Toril. The Temple will hold two of their number hostage, replacing them with two of their "own."

This will end up being the priestess they slew (who will be resurrected) and Chris' paladin of whoever. He's new to FR, but has plenty of experience with dnd. He had asked to worship an equivalent to St. Cuthbert, which I need to figure out. I know there's an adventure that uses Hoar? I'm thinking he's looking for something along the lines of Tempus, Torm, or Helm.

From here the adventure revolves aroune Thorne, a red dragon masquerading as a green dragon. He has the horn of doom which I need to develop minor artifact level powers for. In the VG it caused storms "all over the realms," though I think this is going to be linked to being used in a specific place.

On a side note, for kicks, I threw in a link to Curse of the Azure Bonds. In Verdigris they found out that some blonde hair man in blackened armor had come through and stolen the "Sword of Lathander" from the crypt of one of the silver blades. Hee hee.

So, I'm thinking Thorne will have taken residence somewhere within Melvaunt, itself, maybe having done severe damage to the structure that'll be something to reference back to in the future.

I don't know much more than that. I need to give some Melvaunt flavor to the adventure, because one of my goals with this mini-campaign is a tour of various cities (Verdigris, Hulburg, Melvaunt, and of course - Phlan, 10 years later than their last experience).
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  20:57:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Markustay
"Beware! Beware the Klargott! don't go into the cellarrrr..... ugh"
What's a Klargott? Swedish for "clear good"? "ready best"? Something seems to be lost in translation, what does it mean?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  21:03:19  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he was just making up a word that would sound ominous coming from a dying man.

Problem, of course, for me is that they dropped two positive energy channelings very early on, so the guy couldn't actually be dying.

Unless he was poisoned ... ! :)

Just found out the new Paladin is a Paladin of Tymora. So, also looking for why a Paladin of Tymora would be locked in the basement of the Temple being tortured by Loviatar worshippers and a kyton.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  21:31:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loviatar and Beshaba might be temporarily allied in some obscurely dark goal, maybe something to do with chaining Tyranthraxus or twisting the magic of the pool. Champions of Tymora (odd choice for a paladin) might naturally be drawn to this conflict so they could wave their lucky swords around to keep things balanced. Your paladin might only be part of the first wave of serious Tymoran involvement.

Poison (or poisoned energy channelings?) is always a passable deus ex sort of prop to explain inconvenient mysterious deaths. A curse or Geas (or magical sniper) are equally likely and any of these could hint at greater gears of villainy driving the story machinery along a predetermined plot.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  12:21:38  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought so, too. But, I figured it'd be interesting. However, it turns out he made a Rogue 2 / Cavalier 6. Still, dedicated to Tymora. I still need to figure out what he could have done in Melvaunt (either before or after it got city-napped), that would drop him in the basement.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  18:40:01  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't say I've ever heard of a paladin who won his Holy Avenger in a card game. Or runs his holy warhorse on the racetracks.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  19:22:26  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yet. You haven't heard of a paladin who did those things ... yet.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  16:02:42  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, my layout for the next game is basically this:

The party will determine that they cannot make it back through the portal without assistance. The High Priest of Loviatar will come down and offer to negotiate. After hearing the situation from the party, they will recess in order to discuss and return later to give terms:

-The party's two priests must remain behind as collateral (this player has to skip the game).
-In their stead, two others will be sent.
--The slain priestess of Loviatar (who will be seeking revenge on the party). This will be Suzildara Sharranen (later to become High Whipmistress).
--The prisoner they found being tortured.
-They are to limit their interaction with the people of Melvaunt and stick strictly to their mission, returning immediately after.
-One representative of the group must also submit to a geas binding them individually to the terms of the arrangement.

From there they will be informed that a green dragon (it's actually red, but there's an illusion up on it, like the glabrezu/gelugon from Verdigris). It has taken up residence in Nanther Keep (Apparently Nanther's gardens are used to grow exotic spell components. So, I think they'll be able to profit off of the dragon corpse that'll be left there at the end of this adventure. It helps tie into Nanther's rising power in the later 1350s).

During this meeting they'll also see, but not actually interact with, a priest of Beshaba. I still need to work out why a Cavalier and follower of Tymora from Baldur's Gate has been captured by Priests of Loviatar, but I'm sure I'll need a Beshaban priest as a link.

The priestess will take them to the city center, first to Blackalbuck's Sales & Swap. If they seek to purchase healing potions (which they should, they're out of them), he'll actually give them mislabeled ones that are stronger - assuming he finds out why they're here.

From there it's assault on Nather Keep. The High Priest of Loviatar will have arranged for catapult fire upon Nanther Keep to commense shortly before the party arrives. This will lead to a wall breach, but also draw the attention of the dragon and his cohorts. Thorne will first send several half-dragon spawnlings he has. I'm going to look for some sort of dragon/tanari cross-breeds.

He has the "Horn of Doom" or the "Horm of Storms" which, I think will be in the hands of a minion for the battle. Part of the horn's power is tied to Melvaunt, itself, then there is also the superior level it operates on before it passes through the pool of darkess and the inferior way it operates after.

Lord Nanther and his men will make sure to arrive "just a little late" to move in after the dragon dies. The dragon hoard will be a special issue.
1) IF they move quick they can get some things stowed before Lord Nanther arrives.
2) IF they have saved the Priestess' life during the battle or shown her tolerance or kindness, she will not tell Lord Nanther and will not also demand a tithe from what they have taken.
3) IF they are kind, but don't have that really special moment with her, then she will just demand tithe on their way out.
4) IF they mistreat her, she will argue with them when they try to take from the hoard and will alert Lord Nanther if needed.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000