Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Your profession in the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jelennet Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 08:36:27
Imagine that you are born in the Realms. What profession would you choose there? And why?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dennis Posted - 08 Nov 2010 : 23:38:24
I heard he does.
Ayrik Posted - 08 Nov 2010 : 12:18:48
I wonder if Elminster uses a PDA.
The Sage Posted - 08 Nov 2010 : 06:08:40
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Even Ao would have a hard time getting to the end of Sage's to-do list...

That's because the space/time-distortion properties of my "To-Do" list extend beyond the bounds of Realmspace.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 08 Nov 2010 : 05:21:48
no worries, Sage- I can take a lot of ribbing. Besides, I never take offense- I take the whole darn yard!!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Nov 2010 : 05:17:55
Even Ao would have a hard time getting to the end of Sage's to-do list...
Dalor Darden Posted - 08 Nov 2010 : 04:13:51
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Hey, as a married female, I RESENT that statement!!! Lol! (Not DENYING it, mind you, but I resent it...)
I apologise for any unintentional offence. It's just I know the Lady K occasionally reads some of the more recent scrolls here while she's at work. I thought I'd try and provoke her into signing-in.
quote:
Aside from being a faithful of the Dark Dancer, I'd like to be a sage, Oops, sorry, Sage, don't mean to take YOUR job!!
Not a problem. In fact, I'd like the help. Imagine how quickly we could work through my "To-Do" list together?

No matter how many people were to try and help you...you can't work through an infinitely long list...
The Sage Posted - 08 Nov 2010 : 03:39:14
quote:

Hey, as a married female, I RESENT that statement!!! Lol! (Not DENYING it, mind you, but I resent it...)
I apologise for any unintentional offence. It's just I know the Lady K occasionally reads some of the more recent scrolls here while she's at work. I thought I'd try and provoke her into signing-in.
quote:
Aside from being a faithful of the Dark Dancer, I'd like to be a sage, Oops, sorry, Sage, don't mean to take YOUR job!!
Not a problem. In fact, I'd like the help. Imagine how quickly we could work through my "To-Do" list together?
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 08 Nov 2010 : 03:11:48

The Sage Posted - 08 Nov 2010 : 00:17:43
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Sorry for the not so subtle manipulation ol' Sage...the meanderings were the real reason for my post.
Not to worry Dalor. Being a married man means I'm all too familiar with "not-so-subtle" manipulation.
Dalor Darden Posted - 07 Nov 2010 : 16:30:03
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Can I ask why speaking of real world religion is frowned upon, but talking about real world filth is not? Just asking...

Because, usually, talking about real-world religions WILL lead to contentious issues and, potentially, rather vicious debates between scribes. It's happened before, after all. Talking real-world professions, on the other hand, rarely leads to such.

Aside from all that, however, we are heading somewhat off-topic, so let's get back to discussing professions in the Realms, eh?

Sorry for the not so subtle manipulation ol' Sage...the meanderings were the real reason for my post.

Back to professions, aside from being a hunter/ranger, I think my second choice would quite possibly be wizard for hire. Not so much a battle-wizard most likely (guessing a short life in that!), but more akin to a "fix it" wizard for hire.
Dennis Posted - 07 Nov 2010 : 03:32:23

I once considered being a druid would be great. But I got overly discouraged upon reading Red Magic.

The Sage Posted - 07 Nov 2010 : 01:33:49
quote:

Can I ask why speaking of real world religion is frowned upon, but talking about real world filth is not? Just asking...

Because, usually, talking about real-world religions WILL lead to contentious issues and, potentially, rather vicious debates between scribes. It's happened before, after all. Talking real-world professions, on the other hand, rarely leads to such.

Aside from all that, however, we are heading somewhat off-topic, so let's get back to discussing professions in the Realms, eh?
Dalor Darden Posted - 07 Nov 2010 : 01:17:32
The Sage Posted - 06 Nov 2010 : 23:32:36
quote:

On a more serious note... Because all people are different, what's best for one person is not best for another. My wife likes being in a customer service position that lets her interact with lots of people. On the flipside, she knows diddly about computers. Me, I'm in IT -- if I could avoid the customer service aspect of it and deal only with broken computers, I'd be just as happy as she is at her job.
Wooly's right on the mark. It's one of the reasons why I'm a programmer in real life. I don't have to deal with too many people.
Dennis Posted - 06 Nov 2010 : 17:11:27
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Is there such thing as THE BEST PROFESSION in the Realms?

Yup. And it's just the same as the best profession in the real world: the profession that makes the individual the happiest.

Some drug lords and robbers are happy with their profession. Let's not encourage them.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Nov 2010 : 16:57:30
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Is there such thing as THE BEST PROFESSION in the Realms?

Yup. And it's just the same as the best profession in the real world: the profession that makes the individual the happiest.

On a more serious note... Because all people are different, what's best for one person is not best for another. My wife likes being in a customer service position that lets her interact with lots of people. On the flipside, she knows diddly about computers. Me, I'm in IT -- if I could avoid the customer service aspect of it and deal only with broken computers, I'd be just as happy as she is at her job. I actually do quite well at customer service, but it's not at all my thing -- I'm all about returning a broken computer to non-broken status.
Dennis Posted - 06 Nov 2010 : 15:38:19
Is there such thing as THE BEST PROFESSION in the Realms? Can you recall a novel that SERIOUSLY says what the best profession is? I want to emphasize the word seriously because not a few characters joke about their jobs. I remember one Harper (though unfortunately not her name; maybe it is Ruha) saying she's got THE best profession in the world because she got to wear rags that passed as dress, cover her body with mud, and beg.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 22 Oct 2010 : 19:12:21
BoEF? What's that one? Not familiar with it. Nymphology was a somewhat tongue-in-cheek look at lust and pleasure in D&D. (d20 OGL book by MGP) I enjoyed it mostly for the spells, feats, items, and PrC's in it (Discreet Courtesan is great for playing a femme fatale!) There wasn't much extra in the way of rules, which is great, because it can be used without a lot of new rules being implemented. A friend of mine downloaded it for me partly as a joke, but after reading through it, I not only got a lot of giggles, but found some stuff that I could actually USE, too. Some of the spells, while a bit unorthodox and risque, are actually not half bad in combat or regular game-use. Some can help lower enemy AC's or with those Cha-based situations. I liked it. And I'll leave it to your imagination what the "Improved Endurance" feat was for.... Not that it wouldn't help on the battlefield, mind you!
Ayrik Posted - 22 Oct 2010 : 18:37:09
Ah, haven't read anything called Nymphology, but I have read Valar's BoEF. To be honest I wasn't especially impressed; the book itself was better quality than a lot of other d20 stuff I've read, and presented some interesting ideas of course ... but BoEF offers to introduce a lot of rules and game mechanics which I think aren't necessary, even ridiculous.

Besides, I'm a dirty old man myself, well at least I plan to be one day, and quite imaginative at times, so such books aren't strictly needed. I don't really want to get my predominantly male D&D group all randied up either. It's already enough of a chore to keep them focussed.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 22 Oct 2010 : 18:24:43
Ooh, I LIKE that idea!! Arik, have you read the Nymphology book? It goes into some of those kinds of uses for divination. Takes the "dirty old man" schlock to a whole new level! And now we know why the Wizard Eye spell was REALLY invented... *snickers* Hmm, free cable.... D'ya think they have "premium channels"?
Ayrik Posted - 22 Oct 2010 : 18:20:36
Most temples would set up barriers and alarms, I agree. I have the sneaky suspicion that other temples (like those of Sharess and Milil?) might actually embrace and encourage onlookers. Perhaps as a part of the expression of their religious tenets, perhaps to recruit new subscribers of the faith. Sort of like free cable, to continue your film analogy.

In fact, it seems obvious that diviners of dubious moral quality would actually offer such entertainments to special clientele, for a premium. No doubt there's always plenty of perverted noblemen who will pay handsomely for such entertainments (and more handsomely still for discretion), whether such occurs in brothels, temples, or in the homes of other nobility.

A less impure career path for diviners would be to commission themselves to the temples, to install the wards against scrying, or test and maintain them. Much like "white-hat hackers" in our modern world.

To be truly devious, a temple of Sharess (as an example) might present purely hedonistic but false imagery to screen from scrying eyes whatever really transpires in secret.
Dennis Posted - 22 Oct 2010 : 18:18:44
quote:

Seriously, though, if the temple knows that people are going to be peeping- er, scrying on their activities like that, they would probably put up some really tough wards. Not something your common diviner could get through.

Oh, but I wouldn't be a common diviner. I'd be a diviner with the combined abilities of Brennus, Zalathorn, and the Zulkir of Divination herself, Yaphyll. Too ambitious, eh?
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 22 Oct 2010 : 18:09:02
That clink together to make music!! LOL! And those can be warded against, too. With a Boot of Smiting +5

Seriously, though, if the temple knows that people are going to be peeping- er, scrying on their activities like that, they would probably put up some really tough wards. Not something your common diviner could get through.
Dennis Posted - 22 Oct 2010 : 18:06:28
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Wards against scrying??? Pah! Serious diviners have crystal balls.

I think only the Chosen (not just Mystra's) and/or the deities' favorites (and perhaps a few temples particularly special to the deities) have impregnable wards against divination. I remember in TW Brennus was able to divine almost anyone, except Elminster, Cale, and Riven. So diviners of decent enough power can pierce whatever weaker wards a temple has.
Ayrik Posted - 22 Oct 2010 : 17:50:28
Wards against scrying??? Pah! Serious diviners have crystal balls.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 22 Oct 2010 : 17:41:30
Yeah, but the action is probably better in the brothels!! (Think- FR "adult films") LOL!! And the temples are probably warded against that, anyway.... *snickers* Guess they'd be out of luck.
Ayrik Posted - 22 Oct 2010 : 17:34:51
Calimport (City of Decadence), Festhall of Eternal Delight (Sharess) ...

I expect the lighting is much better in temples than in brothels.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 22 Oct 2010 : 17:16:17
Odd, I'd have thought they would spend most of their time watching scenes in the brothels....
Ayrik Posted - 22 Oct 2010 : 14:16:38
And so we learn exactly what the diviners spend all their free time watching.
xaviera Posted - 22 Oct 2010 : 07:00:05
I'll opt for a mid-level priestess in Calimport's Festhall of Eternal Delight.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000