Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Pronounciations of things in the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 27 Jan 2004 : 23:01:51
1st off Cyric: is it "Cie rick" or "Ceer rick"?
i thought it was "Cie rick" but i heard it pronounced in BG2 as "Ceer rick"

2nd Baator: is it "Bay ah tor" or "bay tor"
i thought it was "Bay ah tor" but once again i heard it in BG2 by Cespenar as "bay tor"
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 27 Feb 2004 : 14:12:16
This find is a real gem Rad .

I've never been a big fan of the Birthright setting, but I've kept up with the general flow of information regarding the campaign (mainly for general interest or raiding for ideas for my own worlds), from it's early days right up to the current rumors about a possible 3.5e 'official' setting. Still, it's nice to see and hear that most of my pronounciations of most of the places, races, and deities of the world were essentially accurate...

Thanks Rad...
Lord Rad Posted - 27 Feb 2004 : 10:51:53
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

I seem to recall back in the old days of TSR.... not long after the Planescape setting was released, TSR produced a download of WAV files which gave the correct pronounciations....shame that we cant get one of these for FR to clear up matters such as those raised in this discussion. That said, FR products DO have pronounciation guidelines (as per standard dictionaries) for deities, locales etc.

Ooops, I was mistaken. The guide was for the Birthright setting - you can download it here.
Bookwyrm Posted - 27 Feb 2004 : 06:09:33
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

Hmm, I just looked at my Faiths and Pantheons Tome and have been ashamed to say I've been pronouncing a greater deity's name wrong.

Sune is pronounced Soo-nee, not Soon, as I have been saying it. Has anyone else made this mistake?

Yes, I did the same thing until I read the entry in Faiths and Pantheons.

Personally, whenever I do made-up names and words, I write them as close to phonetically as possible. I hate getting confused myself, so I never want to confuse a reader. A few years ago, I would have said it should have been writen Soo'ne or Soo'nee. Of course, then I was puting appostrophes in everything, rather than the accents that normally evolve out of such words. So now, I'd write it as Suné, which looks so much better, and is closer to the original.

Of course, some people might still get it wrong: soo-nay, perhaps, or just "sunny."
The Sage Posted - 26 Feb 2004 : 11:47:44
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

No, what I meant was why do members of the same (non-human, anyway) race speak the same or similar language as everyone else of that race in the setting? And yet there are so many different "human" languages?

Hmmm...you bring up an interesting point. Unfortunately the language sections of the Races of Faerun tome elaborate on this very little.

I don't think there's ever been a proper explanation for why this is so. It's most likely something the original game designers (Ed of the Greenwood) didn't really think about at the time.

This strange thing about this game trait is, that only FR seems to be display it. In nearly every other setting (except Greyhawk), there's as much variation between same race dialects as there is between the human races.
The Cardinal Posted - 26 Feb 2004 : 07:40:07
Soo-Nee? Is this true? We always thought it pronounced Sune as in Sun family, ie. Sun Tzu, Sun Jian, Sun Quan, (and others of that noble heritage and of the Book: Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Recomended reading for anyone interested in historical documents splashed with great amounts of color). Could it be that this is not the case?!?!
Shadowlord Posted - 26 Feb 2004 : 05:08:57
Hmm, I just looked at my Faiths and Pantheons Tome and have been ashamed to say I've been pronouncing a greater deity's name wrong.

Sune is pronounced Soo-nee, not Soon, as I have been saying it. Has anyone else made this mistake?
Sirine Posted - 25 Feb 2004 : 19:16:53
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm not sure I know to what you are referring Sirine...Are you talking about the various racial naming traditions, or the various ways in which each race assigns a name to their young...?

Both would work, actually, if you know.
Bookwyrm Posted - 25 Feb 2004 : 16:33:42
No, what I meant was why do members of the same (non-human, anyway) race speak the same or similar language as everyone else of that race in the setting? And yet there are so many different "human" languages?
The Sage Posted - 25 Feb 2004 : 03:00:16
I'm not sure I know to what you are referring Sirine...Are you talking about the various racial naming traditions, or the various ways in which each race assigns a name to their young...?
Sirine Posted - 24 Feb 2004 : 14:28:16
I dunno if this is the right place to post this question, but does anyone have any thoughts about how the racial nametraits came about?
The Sage Posted - 24 Feb 2004 : 03:06:54
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Yes, of course. I do appologise.

Just to jump-start it, why aren't there different dialects of racial (elven, halfling, gnomish, etc.) languages? At the very least, you'd think the green elves would speak differently than their city-dwelling cousins. As it is, though, I can only find mention of a different language for sea elves, and that's only in a novel.

Yes, Shadowlord is right. I also believe there are at least three (two of which are not in current usage) differing forms of the gnomish racial dialect.

One of the earlier 2e FR adventures mentioned that fact, although I've not read anything about it in 3e. IIRC there was a stone language, strict in form, with very many different combinations. There was also a symbolic/runic form which had a symbol for nearly every word in the gnomish vocabulary, and the third is the ever evolving current gnomish tongue which I believe is mentioned in the Races of Faerun tome in regards to the gem-hunting ancestors of the gnomes.
Shadowlord Posted - 23 Feb 2004 : 22:25:09
There is. You'll find in the Return of the Archwizards Trilogy that the wood elves speak a bit differently from the golds and the moons, but not overly indistinguisable.
Bookwyrm Posted - 23 Feb 2004 : 16:41:53
Yes, of course. I do appologise.

Just to jump-start it, why aren't there different dialects of racial (elven, halfling, gnomish, etc.) languages? At the very least, you'd think the green elves would speak differently than their city-dwelling cousins. As it is, though, I can only find mention of a different language for sea elves, and that's only in a novel.
Alaundo Posted - 23 Feb 2004 : 09:29:36
Well met

AHEM! If we could all kindly get back to pronounciations of the Realms?!

Thank ye
Shadowlord Posted - 23 Feb 2004 : 00:30:02
Haha! Excellent movies, Bookwyrm! Really brought out his good side.....
Bookwyrm Posted - 22 Feb 2004 : 23:30:26
You might like this, then. And this also has a few as well -- especially the last one.
Shadowlord Posted - 22 Feb 2004 : 18:01:56
Was it only me, or did anyone else see the movie clip with Erwin's son in his hands while "The Crocodile Hunter" was feeding a live crocodile? Doesn't that count as some violation of law???
The Sage Posted - 22 Feb 2004 : 13:20:55
Be glad you live in the US and you only have to see him momentarily. It's bad enough having his face pasted over nearly all forms of media here in Australia...I can't help but think..."That smile can't be real..."
Bookwyrm Posted - 22 Feb 2004 : 02:58:39
Dundee wasn't that bad. He was supposed to be from Nowhere, Australia. Earwig -- er, I mean Erwin -- has no such excuse.

Besides, no one should be that cheerful all the time.
Darth KTrava Posted - 22 Feb 2004 : 00:55:28
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Lina

Here's a tip for you all... pronounce it as you like coz in the end does it really matter? DOES IT REALLY?

Take for example the English language. It's just one language right? Wrong! There's heaps of people that speak the english language differently according to the country of origin. There's Aussie slang & accent, American slang & accent, British accent... well you get the picture. The same goes with names in Faerun. You might say "TO-MA-TO" and me "TO-MAE-TO" but it still means the same thing.

Oh, don't get me started on 'Aussie slang/accent' . It's one of the most embarassing qualities our society here in Australia has, at least to me. It annoys me a great deal when international visitors first impression of Australia comes from a thong-wearing, bear-drinking, slang-talking 'Aussie' whose first words are "G'day mate..."...Just what exactly does that mean...

Can't help it if we got ruined by "Crocodile Dundee"..... And I won't even go in Steve Irwin.

Shadowlord Posted - 19 Feb 2004 : 00:51:06
Ah, I'm Shocked! I thought all you did was throw prawns on the barby...... (No offense meant. Just humor.)
Lina Posted - 15 Feb 2004 : 03:44:11
Yeah Sage, I know what you mean. When others think that all Aussies are laid back, slobs it's frustrating. Not that it worries me too much since I'm a converted Aussie. But we Aussies are a hard working lot aren't we Sage. You'd be surprised how people react to that last statement.
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 14 Feb 2004 : 16:33:30
aye thank u scribes 4 the assistance and the finger pointed 2 the WotC site 4 the sound files
The Sage Posted - 14 Feb 2004 : 07:11:55
Yes, it is so very frustrating Lina, and it seems to be coming more and more apparent with each passing year...
Lina Posted - 14 Feb 2004 : 02:10:43
If your interested in all the small details Dracandos... good for you. But as Cult_Leader put it "I could care less." There is no right way, there is not wrong way, there's only my way.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you Sage about what outsiders perceive to be the typical Aussie. They seem to think were all like Crocodile Dundee or something like that.
RogueAssassin Posted - 13 Feb 2004 : 22:28:22
Yeah but the people that say tom-ah-toe are wrong...

-Rogue
The Sage Posted - 13 Feb 2004 : 01:32:07
I'm curious...Why would you say something like that Cult-Leader...?
Cult_Leader Posted - 11 Feb 2004 : 16:44:37
Meh I could care less when it comes to things like that.
The Sage Posted - 11 Feb 2004 : 12:16:24
Yes, the Bookwyrm's right Dracandos. Visit the WotC site for those files, I'd provide a link, but I'm not at home at the moment, and therefore don't have access to my web bookmarks...
Bookwyrm Posted - 11 Feb 2004 : 03:21:17
Just go to Wizards'; they have them there.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000