Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Pronounciations of things in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  23:01:51  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
1st off Cyric: is it "Cie rick" or "Ceer rick"?
i thought it was "Cie rick" but i heard it pronounced in BG2 as "Ceer rick"

2nd Baator: is it "Bay ah tor" or "bay tor"
i thought it was "Bay ah tor" but once again i heard it in BG2 by Cespenar as "bay tor"

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  00:45:13  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of all, its Ceer-ick, and its also pronounced Bay-ah-tor.
Let me know if that helped.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  03:16:06  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok i guess i was wrong about Cyric but right about Baator. and it seems BG2 was right about Cyric but not about Baator...interesting

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  05:24:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you look at the download page at the WotC site, you can find pronounciation sound files for some names and places, though it chiefly has to do with the old Planescape setting. For Realms deities, there's a fonetik -- er, phonetic -- spelling after each entry in Faiths and Pantheons.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

RogueAssassin
Learned Scribe

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  19:46:45  Show Profile  Visit RogueAssassin's Homepage Send RogueAssassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Drizzts cat's name pronounced "gwyn-hyvaar" or "gwyn-hyveer"?]

-The Rogue

"Spirit. Its a Heros strength, a mothers resiliance, and the poor mans armor. It cannot be broken and it cannot be taken away. This i must belive"---Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  20:36:46  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RogueAssassin

Is Drizzts cat's name pronounced "gwyn-hyvaar" or "gwyn-hyveer"?]

i believe its "gwyn-hyvaar"

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  21:31:08  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Guenhwyvar' is just the original non-anglicized form of 'Guinevere' and is pronounced the same, as Bob has said plenty of times.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  02:25:54  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what r u talking about Faraer?

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  02:32:56  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IT IS PRONOUNCED GWEN-IH-VERE! I believe you should listen to Faerar, for he is wise in such matters.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  14:10:29  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always pronounced it GWEN-hwy-var, or GWEN-eh-var. GWEN-i-veer? I can't stomach that. I don't want to envision Guinevere everytime I read about Drizzt's cat.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  22:21:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I side with Shadowlord here. I always thought it was a nice Celtic touch.

I think this has been discussed before, though. At the very least, there are other "pronounciation" scrolls here.

Might I suggest the scrying room be used more often? An Alaundo Foundation study has proven it to lessen the number of foot-in-mouth accidents . . . .

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  23:36:34  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
remember Bookwyrm i was not the 1 that asked the ? about Guenhwyvar

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  23:46:10  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Paraphrased from Dracandos the Spellsage

Remember, Bookwyrm, I was not the one that asked the question about Guenhwyvar.

That's okay, because I wasn't talking to you on that one. You at least had a question that hadn't been asked before, though I did think of telling you when you started this.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  01:27:55  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

<Snip>
I side with Shadowlord here. I always thought it was a nice Celtic touch.
<Snip>

Finally!!!!

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  06:42:08  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't get used to it. We've still got a lot of differences, little drow.

Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  00:47:46  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
here is another: mithril
is it "mith rill", "mith reel" "meeth rill", or "meeth reel"

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  01:05:16  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Don't get used to it. We've still got a lot of differences, little drow.

Little?!?! Just because you are a mithril (Hey, its Dracandos' question) dragon does not mean I will bow down to you......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  05:21:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be hard to bow "down" to someone of my size, anyway.

And mithril is spelled and pronounced differently by different people. (I think Salvatore mispelled it as mithral, right?) Don't worry about that one. But if you want to know, I personally pronounce it "mith-rill."

I'm sure there's a master pronounciation of it in Tolkein's writings someplace. He created the "silver-steel," after all.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  05:27:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Salvatore on 'Mithral', yes, you're right about that one Bookwyrm...

As for 'a master pronounciation of it in Tolkein's writings someplace', I believe my first edition copy of the extended Unfinished Tales included a base pronounciation guide. I'll look through it when I get home...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  06:50:44  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I don't have one of those.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  14:32:41  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Checking Appendix E of LR, Tolkien's word has stress on the first syllable, i is pronounced as in 'machine'. But quite likely the is are short in its Realms use. But it's 'mithral' in more recent sources.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  16:26:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What, people are mispelling "mithril" in Tolkein's books? Wait'll my friends hear this! Finally, something that they can't blame on Peter Jackson!

Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  01:59:19  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i believe in the LotR, it is pronounced "meeth reel" isnt it, isnt that how it was said in the movies?

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  05:44:41  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Gimli pronounced it like that, but remember, they gave dwarves a Scottish-like accent (which I thought was fitting, considering certain Celtic legends . . .) and Gimli was speaking in a tone of awe. As such, it wasn't out of place.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  09:23:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually the reference in the extended Unfinished Tales is just a basic guide to pronounciations. It doesn't detail any facts about where and when the references are taken from the books. I assume that's research the reader will have to do for him/herself.

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2004 :  10:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a tip for you all... pronounce it as you like coz in the end does it really matter? DOES IT REALLY?

Take for example the English language. It's just one language right? Wrong! There's heaps of people that speak the english language differently according to the country of origin. There's Aussie slang & accent, American slang & accent, British accent... well you get the picture. The same goes with names in Faerun. You might say "TO-MA-TO" and me "TO-MAE-TO" but it still means the same thing.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2004 :  17:08:59  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i was simply interested in the correct pronounciation of words in the Realms Lina. as 2 be able 2 be more wise of the Realms

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2004 :  13:00:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

Here's a tip for you all... pronounce it as you like coz in the end does it really matter? DOES IT REALLY?

Take for example the English language. It's just one language right? Wrong! There's heaps of people that speak the english language differently according to the country of origin. There's Aussie slang & accent, American slang & accent, British accent... well you get the picture. The same goes with names in Faerun. You might say "TO-MA-TO" and me "TO-MAE-TO" but it still means the same thing.

Oh, don't get me started on 'Aussie slang/accent' . It's one of the most embarassing qualities our society here in Australia has, at least to me. It annoys me a great deal when international visitors first impression of Australia comes from a thong-wearing, bear-drinking, slang-talking 'Aussie' whose first words are "G'day mate..."...Just what exactly does that mean...

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2004 :  14:46:46  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Oh, don't get me started on 'Aussie slang/accent' . It's one of the most embarassing qualities our society here in Australia has, at least to me. It annoys me a great deal when international visitors first impression of Australia comes from a thong-wearing, bear-drinking, slang-talking 'Aussie' whose first words are "G'day mate..."...Just what exactly does that mean...

hehehehe Yeah, throw another shrimp on the bar-bee, Bruce. Surf's up!

I seem to recall back in the old days of TSR.... not long after the Planescape setting was released, TSR produced a download of WAV files which gave the correct pronounciations....shame that we cant get one of these for FR to clear up matters such as those raised in this discussion. That said, FR products DO have pronounciation guidelines (as per standard dictionaries) for deities, locales etc.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2004 :  15:03:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, I remember those WAV files, although I haven't used them recently .

As for WAV files based on Realms pronounciation...maybe the collective knowledge and can-do spirit of the scribes here at Candlekeep could work on putting our own WAV files together, dealing with our own accepted interpretations on Realms pronounciation...

What do you all think...?

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2004 :  16:40:10  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ah yes, I remember those WAV files, although I haven't used them recently .

As for WAV files based on Realms pronounciation...maybe the collective knowledge and can-do spirit of the scribes here at Candlekeep could work on putting our own WAV files together, dealing with our own accepted interpretations on Realms pronounciation...

What do you all think...?

Sounds like a great idea to me, Sage! Try and quash that Aussie accent though

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page