Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Flying enclave

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nicolai Withander Posted - 22 Jan 2010 : 16:26:37
Well met all ye powerful and wise old sages... I have questions for you set in this hall of knowledge.

I was wondering how I, a level 24 wizard, goes about getting a flying enclave like the ones they had during the time of High Netherill?

And on a side note, how do you think people would respond to the sight and idea?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Masked Mage Posted - 26 Jan 2013 : 10:28:35
There is a much easier way, if all you want to do is have a big floating rock with a castle or something... Dragon Magazine 257 had a Wyrm of the North named Valamaradace, "the Dragon Queen."

"The Dragon Queen and her consort Deszeldaryndun dwell in the Floating Mountain. Thisgigantic, hollow, oval rock is kept aloft by the Dragon Queen's magic, which also enshrouds it in mists, and directs it wherever she desires. Usually it hovers low over the woods due west of Everlund, or south of there on the verges of the High Forest. The dragon couple refers to it as "Softwing." "

Later in the article it describes the artifact she uses to do this AND the spells the the artifact that she uses uses to do it. Really its nothing more than a powerful version of levitation and you could throw in a permanency spell and presto you have your very own floating mountain, no mythallar required.

As far as mythallars are concerned, I always figured some survived and could be active. This is how I reasoned out Larloch making his home where his enclave fell and not finding a location that is less accessible to the rabble of the world.
The Sage Posted - 29 Jan 2010 : 23:31:51
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Thats very interesting! So its possible in theory! And the book you mentioned where could they be bought?

NobleKnight has 2 copies :

http://www.nobleknight.com/searchresults.asp?search=secrets+of+the+magister

Dragontrove.com usually has a few reasonably-priced copies floating around on occasion as well.
Brimstone Posted - 29 Jan 2010 : 22:14:37
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Thats very interesting! So its possible in theory! And the book you mentioned where could they be bought?

Thats where I got my near mint copy around 6 months ago.
Brimstone Posted - 29 Jan 2010 : 22:13:27
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Lady K lets you read at night Sage?

Yep. See, she won't let me do "anything" else.

Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 29 Jan 2010 : 20:43:11
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondathafinding a pdf on some file sharing network somewhere.

Which, of course, is totally breaking copyright and illegal and we don't suggest you do it at all!

Edit:Oops, forgot to add the [sarcasm] tags.
The Red Walker Posted - 29 Jan 2010 : 20:42:14
quote:

Hoondatha Posted - 29 Jan 2010 : 20:32:58
Heh. Well, now that's the question. WotC shut down all the legitimate pay-for-download sites, and I'm fairly certain that Secrets of the Magister isn't one of the free downloads on their site. And it's obviously not in print any longer. That leaves ebay, used book stores/FL game stores with old books, or finding a pdf on some file sharing network somewhere.
Nicolai Withander Posted - 29 Jan 2010 : 17:31:02
The Sage Posted - 29 Jan 2010 : 06:07:19
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Yep. See, she won't let me do "anything" else.
Brimstone Posted - 29 Jan 2010 : 04:43:17
The Sage Posted - 29 Jan 2010 : 01:09:54
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

There's a lot more there, I really suggest you track down the book. It's, IMO, one of Ed's best from a pure Realmslore perspective. Not to be confused with FR 4 The Magister, which is a much older book.

There's a lot of good Ed lore in both books.

Yep! There's a reason I purchased two copies [like I did with most 2e Ed-lore sources] back when it was first released. One copy for the gaming table, and one copy for my nightly reading endeavours.
The Sage Posted - 29 Jan 2010 : 01:08:28
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I have ingame spent a year developing a spell that made it possible to cast 10th and 11th lvl spells... You say thats its generelly possible if one knew how??? I was pretty sure she didn't alow it!

She won't necessarily allow your spell to work.

Indeed. Secrets of the Magister talks about what happens if mages [and Magisters and Chosen] try and cast 10th-level spells, as does the Cormanthyr accessory.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Jan 2010 : 00:35:44
quote:

There's a lot more there, I really suggest you track down the book. It's, IMO, one of Ed's best from a pure Realmslore perspective. Not to be confused with FR 4 The Magister, which is a much older book.

There's a lot of good Ed lore in both books.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Jan 2010 : 00:35:14
quote:

I have ingame spent a year developing a spell that made it possible to cast 10th and 11th lvl spells... You say thats its generelly possible if one knew how??? I was pretty sure she didn't alow it!

She won't necessarily allow your spell to work.
Hoondatha Posted - 28 Jan 2010 : 23:32:05
The lore comes from the 2e book Secrets of the Magister, but lore is edition-agnostic. Under the section detailing Forbidden Spells it says the following: "She [Mystra] did this by altering their [10th and 11th level magics] enchantments to make them both inoperative and incomprehensible to the Netherese alive at the time (in other words, all of the recorded incantations could no longer "take hold of the Weave" at all, and hence the spells simply would not work). Mystra also altered a few of the symbols and glyphs of these incantations to make them injurious to the minds of beings attempting to memorize them or read and tinker with them.

"History incorrectly records this as changing humans to make the use of such magic beyond their grasp, or changing the nature of magic to make spells of greater than 9th level unintelligible to humans, because that is what the goddess wanted mortals to believe (to keep strivings after such forbidden spells to a minimum and the waste of spellcasters' lives and efforts small)."

Nicolai Withander Posted - 28 Jan 2010 : 21:02:20
just to be sure... we're talking about 3,5 ed right?

Thats what we are playing so... But you say she altered the machanics of magic and not directly banned 10 and 11 lvl spells???

Hoondatha Posted - 28 Jan 2010 : 19:38:46
It's at least theoretically possible, since we know that Mystra didn't out-right ban 10th and 11th level spells, she just changed the incantations around so that existing version don't work and then broadly "hinted" that they didn't work at all. But I think it would be hideously difficult to figure out how to make mythallars work in the current magical environment, and there's a pretty good chance that the current Mystra would come down hard on the idea.
Nicolai Withander Posted - 28 Jan 2010 : 17:14:56
interesting... If one could find it, one might be able to find a way to "plug" them in agan. That woul make for an interesting epic qeust!
sfdragon Posted - 28 Jan 2010 : 01:57:33
then I would have to wonder about how the one in Negarath maintained its power then...

but hey, as they all say, It your Realms...
Hoondatha Posted - 27 Jan 2010 : 18:01:34
I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of difference whether they blew up or powered down. My own guess would be that they lost power, and then Mystra changed the Weave so that they couldn't access it anymore, turning them into regular stone/crystal in the process. I think there's just too much magical power there; if they blew up they would have taken a significant chunk of the enclaves with them, and explosions of that magnitude weren't recorded. The fact that the populations of the three surviving enclaves were big enough to still form viable nations also seems to argue against the blowing up hypothesis.

A good way to look at it is probably that when Mystra rebooted the Weave, she also changed all the A/C outlets from American to German. The mythallars couldn't plug in, couldn't draw power, and so remained shut down permanently.
sfdragon Posted - 27 Jan 2010 : 14:49:42
quote:

Netheril box set, page 116, in the Magical Items section of the After the Fall chapter. It says:
quote:
"Quasimagical items became virtually useless after the fall, since their source of power—the mythallars— was destroyed."

many thanks for that.....it still leaves me to wonder though what does it mean by destroyed, battery just without power for just long enough for the enclave to hit terminal velocity or destroyed via blowing up..

the one in Negarath survived, sakkors's sentient one survived, Larloch migh event have one...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Jan 2010 : 11:14:01
quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

Of course, your other option is to wait until after the spellplague (wait for it) and exploit the single greatest opportunity every offered by Wizbro: no Mystra = no ban.

10th level spells? No problem.

Not necessarily. If magic itself was changed to make the ban effective, the absence of Mystra won't necessarily change things back. It didn't before, during the ToT.
Sandro Posted - 27 Jan 2010 : 08:09:29
Of course, your other option is to wait until after the spellplague (wait for it) and exploit the single greatest opportunity every offered by Wizbro: no Mystra = no ban.

10th level spells? No problem.
Hoondatha Posted - 27 Jan 2010 : 00:40:30
Netheril box set, page 116, in the Magical Items section of the After the Fall chapter. It says:
quote:
"Quasimagical items became virtually useless after the fall, since their source of power—the mythallars— was destroyed."
sfdragon Posted - 26 Jan 2010 : 23:27:04
umm you know, I'd like to know where it says they were destroyed during the fall?? or is this speculation by the fanbase

they could of survived, the chances not all that great but they could of( the people had no chance)....

and also when the three cities were saved by mystra, did they take the mythallers of those three cities when they abandoned them??
Kilvan Posted - 26 Jan 2010 : 21:09:46
quote:

There aren't mythallars in fallen cities. They were destroyed during the Fall. The only exception is Shade, which technically wasn't present for the Fall. Why Mystra didn't nuke the mythallar the instant the city came back is still mind-boggling.

Sakkors had its Mythallar intact despite the fall, as seen in the twilight war trilogy of Paul Kemp. But then, it was described as a "special" Mythallar, to say the least.
sfdragon Posted - 25 Jan 2010 : 02:37:46
on the otherhand, if you are willing to derive from cannon, you could always stumble across a portal that a carbon copy of the longlost thought destroy Fabled City of Rubies lies within complete with the descendants of the population that was in it from times long past.
They would have a copy of it, might even sell you one.

if that does not fancy you, there is always going to Selunarra at the Gates of the Moon.
sfdragon Posted - 25 Jan 2010 : 02:34:35
yes thats it.
its upside down though....
and a particular creature still lives there, so dont forget yon holy corrosive +5 longsword, and yes must be corrosive.

The Sage Posted - 25 Jan 2010 : 01:14:29
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

but anyway the enclave wwas mentioned in Depths of madness by ERic Scott De Bie....
Negarath, which lies beneath the sands of Anauroch, near the Plain of Standing Stones.
sfdragon Posted - 25 Jan 2010 : 00:43:45
there is a mythaller in one of the fallen cities.
however It state is not well known, and seizing it is an adventure in its own.

but anyway the enclave wwas mentioned in Depths of madness by ERic Scott De Bie....
a well recommended book and read.

that said, you can also go into the underdark and Ioluam himself about it..... he might charge you, he might not.
otherwise, you could also go down to halruaa and ask them..... they might not tell you though.

but yeah it was never mentioned on how to make those, so you'll have to make something up, and outrageous to do it.
like a piece of quartz the size of a human fist....

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000