Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 On "The Ghost King"/Ghosts/Liches, etc. (spoilers)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BEAST Posted - 10 Jan 2010 : 08:13:55
A few points in Bob Salvatore's latest novel The Ghost King have gotten me to wondering about certain aspects of undeath, and how the title (and title character) fit in.

Some have pointed out elsewhere that the label "the Ghost King" had already been assigned to Larloch the super-lich, and that RAS's use of the title for the dracolich Hephaestus gives rise to unnecessary confusion.

Others have asked how exactly Cadderly Bonaduce becomes "the new Ghost King" at the end of this latest novel, since he never becomes a lich, himself.

This makes me wonder: what exactly is a ghost king, anyway? Is it just a powerful ghost?

Or must it be a lich?

My understanding is that a lich is not the same thing as a ghost. A lich is a ghost that has been linked to an undead body of some sort, whereas a ghost does not necessarily need a body at all. For example, the seven beings who crafted the Crystal Shard were once liches, but once their bodies were destroyed in the ritual that forged the artifact, they ceased to be liches anymore, but rather, reverted to just being ghosts/specters/apparitions.

With that in mind, it might've been more apropos to describe Larloch and Hephaestus as "Lich Kings", rather than "Ghost Kings". It's not that the latter is wrong, per sé, but rather that the former is more precise.

And so, it just might be that Cadderly is the one individual (of these three) who most deserves the title "Ghost King", since he ends up as a mere ghost, instead of as a lich.

Thoughts?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BEAST Posted - 11 Jan 2010 : 07:56:33
I'm not trying to out Bob, here--just asking to understand the lingo a little better.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Jan 2010 : 21:45:18
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

That all aside, I for one would hesitate to check rulebooks or like sources for someting that comes out of a RAS novel. No disrespect, but the author writes fantasy novels as he sees fit, whether that be names or creatures or what have you. That he throws rule-stuff (at least in name) in every now and then does not mean that much.

Actually, that pretty much applies to all authors. What makes for a good story doesn't necessarily fit the rules (especially since the rules keep changing), and most authors are working strictly from a story standpoint. I think it's actually pretty rare for WotC writers (and TSR writers before them, and anyone else who writes in a game setting) to stat up their characters first and then do the story.
Zanan Posted - 10 Jan 2010 : 20:50:13
AFAIK, "Ghost King" is a name / title that refers to a "king" (i.e. "powerful chap") that is now a "ghost", not something (ruleswise) "king of ghosts"-sort of thing. There certainly is nothing in the rules about super-powerful ghosts that is denominated as "ghost-king", such like the "master vampire"-PrC in Libris Mortis is.

That all aside, I for one would hesitate to check rulebooks or like sources for someting that comes out of a RAS novel. No disrespect, but the author writes fantasy novels as he sees fit, whether that be names or creatures or what have you. That he throws rule-stuff (at least in name) in every now and then does not mean that much.
dwarvenranger Posted - 10 Jan 2010 : 15:02:52
Lady Saharel of Spellgard, is currently a ghost after her archlich form was destroyed destroying Manshoon. Or was in 3.5, no idea if you're using the time jump.
Lady Fellshot Posted - 10 Jan 2010 : 08:47:32
It depends on which usage of "ghost" you like better. If you like ghost equals spirit better, then I suppose both Hephaestus and Larloch would qualify as "ghost kings." I don't think Cadderly does though. It seems off to call someone the king of one subject.
sfdragon Posted - 10 Jan 2010 : 08:26:05
thought it was lich king as larloch's one of many titles...

cant say I'm overly familiar with the uberliche's titles

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000