Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 On "The Ghost King"/Ghosts/Liches, etc. (spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  08:13:55  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A few points in Bob Salvatore's latest novel The Ghost King have gotten me to wondering about certain aspects of undeath, and how the title (and title character) fit in.

Some have pointed out elsewhere that the label "the Ghost King" had already been assigned to Larloch the super-lich, and that RAS's use of the title for the dracolich Hephaestus gives rise to unnecessary confusion.

Others have asked how exactly Cadderly Bonaduce becomes "the new Ghost King" at the end of this latest novel, since he never becomes a lich, himself.

This makes me wonder: what exactly is a ghost king, anyway? Is it just a powerful ghost?

Or must it be a lich?

My understanding is that a lich is not the same thing as a ghost. A lich is a ghost that has been linked to an undead body of some sort, whereas a ghost does not necessarily need a body at all. For example, the seven beings who crafted the Crystal Shard were once liches, but once their bodies were destroyed in the ritual that forged the artifact, they ceased to be liches anymore, but rather, reverted to just being ghosts/specters/apparitions.

With that in mind, it might've been more apropos to describe Larloch and Hephaestus as "Lich Kings", rather than "Ghost Kings". It's not that the latter is wrong, per sé, but rather that the former is more precise.

And so, it just might be that Cadderly is the one individual (of these three) who most deserves the title "Ghost King", since he ends up as a mere ghost, instead of as a lich.

Thoughts?

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 10 Jan 2010 08:15:22

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  08:26:05  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thought it was lich king as larloch's one of many titles...

cant say I'm overly familiar with the uberliche's titles

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  08:47:32  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on which usage of "ghost" you like better. If you like ghost equals spirit better, then I suppose both Hephaestus and Larloch would qualify as "ghost kings." I don't think Cadderly does though. It seems off to call someone the king of one subject.

Edited by - Lady Fellshot on 10 Jan 2010 08:49:28
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  15:02:52  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lady Saharel of Spellgard, is currently a ghost after her archlich form was destroyed destroying Manshoon. Or was in 3.5, no idea if you're using the time jump.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  20:50:13  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AFAIK, "Ghost King" is a name / title that refers to a "king" (i.e. "powerful chap") that is now a "ghost", not something (ruleswise) "king of ghosts"-sort of thing. There certainly is nothing in the rules about super-powerful ghosts that is denominated as "ghost-king", such like the "master vampire"-PrC in Libris Mortis is.

That all aside, I for one would hesitate to check rulebooks or like sources for someting that comes out of a RAS novel. No disrespect, but the author writes fantasy novels as he sees fit, whether that be names or creatures or what have you. That he throws rule-stuff (at least in name) in every now and then does not mean that much.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 10 Jan 2010 20:52:45
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  21:45:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

That all aside, I for one would hesitate to check rulebooks or like sources for someting that comes out of a RAS novel. No disrespect, but the author writes fantasy novels as he sees fit, whether that be names or creatures or what have you. That he throws rule-stuff (at least in name) in every now and then does not mean that much.

Actually, that pretty much applies to all authors. What makes for a good story doesn't necessarily fit the rules (especially since the rules keep changing), and most authors are working strictly from a story standpoint. I think it's actually pretty rare for WotC writers (and TSR writers before them, and anyone else who writes in a game setting) to stat up their characters first and then do the story.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2010 :  07:56:33  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not trying to out Bob, here--just asking to understand the lingo a little better.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000