Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Your reading practices...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 13 Dec 2008 : 07:11:55
This discussion was picked up from pg. 29 of Erik's "Questions" scroll. I've set aside this scroll in order to avoid any further off-topicness and, also, because I find it somewhat interesting.
quote:
Originally posted by D-brane

quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

I am reading a Darth Bane: Rule of Two[i/], and [i]The Third Eye, but I normally read two or three books concurrently anyway. I might pick that one up again.
Can I ask . . . How do you manage to read more than one book at a time? It is a weird question I know, but I have tried to do this myself many times and have often met with defeat.

Any tips for those interested in borrowing such a skill?

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BEAST Posted - 23 Dec 2008 : 19:20:24
I'm more "quality" instead of "quantity".

At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

More precisely, I prefer to go into more depth and detail on any given topic of interest to me, rather than to try to get a whole bunch of different topics of interest going all at once. Too many fish in the frying pan, and something's bound either to get burnt, undercooked, or unevenly cooked.

If that makes me pedestrian, then fine. I have lots of comfy running shoes!
Fingal Posted - 23 Dec 2008 : 18:55:39
With my own books I will happilly turn over pages, write in the margin and generally treat them badly. I like books to look worn, used and broken-in in every conceivable way - as long as it's only paperbacks. with hardbacks and other peoples books I'm a lot more careful. When it comes to bookmarks I'll use whatever comes to hand. I absolutely refuse to shell out money for something I can make myself out of receipts or half a cigarette packet...

Now, as for the original question about reading more than one book at a time, i have to say it's nothing i've ever really thought about before. I've always had a bunch of books on the go at once: at the moment I'm reading Thomas Mann's 'the Magic Mountain,' Waugh's 'Put out more flags,' a huge book about the diaspora of German and Austrian artists and writers in the Nazi era called 'Weimar in exile,' an archaeological guide to Rome, Harpo Marx's autobiography, 'Sacred Causes,' by the wonderful Michael Burleigh and Elminster in Myth Drannor. I've also got another couple I'm dipping into when the mood takes me just now. I find it strange to only have one or two books on the go. I just can't do it. In an average night I'll read three or four different books. I've been doing it since I was about 8. If I'm not totally saturated with words by the time I go to bed I tend to feel a little restless.
yargarth Posted - 23 Dec 2008 : 07:40:03
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

quote:
Originally posted by yargarth

i am also very ocd about my books. the first 100 pages falling out was a one time deal. when i see kids in my class dog ear the books i want to slap them.

Wow! You actually have kids in your class who read? I think I could forgive a little dog-earring if I could get some of my students to enjoy reading a book enough to want to know what page they're on....

well your right. i usually end up spending the first few minutes of class explaining to the people around me what happened but there are a few kids that do read but they end up destroying the book in the process.
The Sage Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 23:56:16
Oh, I'll guiltily admit that the Lady K understands there are ways she can easily circumvent this ruling and/or employ "measures" that will temporarily make me bend the rules somewhat. In fact, the ruling is bent more times than its upheld.

But I think it's best to leave what those measures could be to our imaginations, rather than enter into more intimate details here.
Brynweir Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 23:54:42
"Damn Oghmanytes!"
Lord Karsus Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 23:52:27
-Eh, people who I have romantic feelings tend to "slip through" the rules. Good for you, for sticking to 'em, though.
The Sage Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 23:37:29
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Heh. I've made it a requirement now if she wants to borrow any books from my self. No bookmark, no book.

-You'd do that to your Lady K?

Oh, yes.

At home, a modified version of Candlekeep's one absolute rule reigns supreme: "Those who would damage knowledge somewhat, with spine-breaking, dog-earring, or inappropriate bookmarks, are those who are barred from the home library." Here, books are more valuable than people.
Lord Karsus Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 19:19:47
quote:

Heh. I've made it a requirement now if she wants to borrow any books from my self. No bookmark, no book.

-You'd do that to your Lady K?
Alisttair Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 17:23:40
Yeah I have a few multi copies of books that I need to sell on Ebay or Amazon.

I also hate to have my books ruined, be it corner fold, a minor rip or anything. I try to keep everything in pristine condition
Brynweir Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 14:44:57
Awesome use of technology Wooly! Now I just need a website... and a cell phone .
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 14:38:19
quote:

Sometimes my husband forgets "the list" when he goes to the used book store and he buys copies of books I already own (he wants me to say this rarely happens ).

I've actually done this multiple times, meself. Once, I bought the first book of a trilogy, thinking I didn't have it... I got home and discovered I did have it. So I took it back and exchanged it for book 2... which I discovered on the shelf when I got home, sitting next to book 1! So this time I checked, and then took back the duplicate to exchange it for book 3.

Now... Our cellphones have internet access. I got a free website, and I put up on there the lists of manga, CDs, DVDs, books, and game stuff that I own. Now whenever I'm looking at something in the store, I pull out my phone and make sure I don't have it before I buy it.
The Sage Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 13:36:30
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Never would have guessed Lady K would be into dog-earring pages -- doesn't she use bookmarks?
Brynweir Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 13:28:29
quote:
Originally posted by yargarth

i am also very ocd about my books. the first 100 pages falling out was a one time deal. when i see kids in my class dog ear the books i want to slap them.

Wow! You actually have kids in your class who read? I think I could forgive a little dog-earring if I could get some of my students to enjoy reading a book enough to want to know what page they're on....

I think I have a bit of a different take on my books. My books are there to be enjoyed- by everyone. I've even loaned some of my personal books out to students in the hopes that they might enjoy them as much as I do. It's lead to some cool discussions. Sometimes my husband forgets "the list" when he goes to the used book store and he buys copies of books I already own (he wants me to say this rarely happens ). I keep which ever copy is in better condition and give the other copy away to a kid who shows interest. I'd rather they be enjoyed than preserved. YES - I'd prefer both, but ya gotta pick your battles.
Kuje Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 13:23:04
Indeed, I'd be livid if anyone did that to my books, the cracking the spine is bad enough but ruining the pages. Oh man. Grumble!
Lord Karsus Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 13:16:49
-Ugh..."Dog earing" is just as bad as spine breaking... :: Shudder ::
Asgetrion Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 13:01:49
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I don't have OCD, I don't think, but none of my 1k+ books have cracked spines. It really saddens me when people snap the spines, which is why I don't loan out my books.
*Sigh* That's not really an option for me. As the Lady K is a spine-bender, and a fan of dog-earring pages in books too.

It's a habit I've had to help her break... especially if she wants to continue borrowing from my library instead of buying her own!

Never would have guessed Lady K would be into dog-earring pages -- doesn't she use bookmarks?

Me and my friends loan books to each other, but there's one rule: if the owner is not satisfied with the condition of his book upon return, you must buy him a new one. It really works, although there have been cases in which someone actually had to purchase a new copy (e.g. because of cracking the spine).
rockyoumonkeys Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 12:21:10
I'm much less concerned about books that are easily replaced. If it's the kind of book that'll be in print forever (i.e. the Harry Potter books), then I'm perfectly willing to loan them out, with the expectation that I can always buy a new copy if it comes back destroyed.

Books like the FR books, though, which stay in print for about a week after they're released....I won't be lending them out to anyone.
Lord Karsus Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 07:12:12
quote:

I don't have OCD, I don't think, but none of my 1k+ books have cracked spines. It really saddens me when people snap the spines, which is why I don't loan out my books.

-Agreed. There are only a very small and special group of people I'd be willing to lend a book to.

-Oh, G-d, reminds me of this time where I accidentally left The Sorcerer at my fathers house. When I saw him next, he brought it with me, to return it, but it was in his computer bag (or whatever it was), and it got drenched. The pages are all "poofy" now, and it doesn't fit that great on my bookshelf.
yargarth Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 06:01:33
ranger_of_the_unicorn_run Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 03:17:43
My dad is really OCD about his books. He is pretty much like all of you guys who have been talking about how you don't even crack the spine. I'm not as OCD about books, but the one thing that I really hate is water damage. One of the few damaged books my dad owns, Darkwalker on Moonshae has a water-damaged cover and it bothers me to look at it. It was even worse when I was reading it.
Brynweir Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 02:01:07
I may not be as careful of my covers as some of the others, but I draw the line at mice. I have to say that, although it would pain me greatly , mice gnawed books and all their germy vileness would have to go.
dwarvenranger Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 01:39:38
Heh, you all would probably go nuts around some of my books then with your OCDness. When I first joined the Navy, I got deployed of course, and left my books with my parents who stowed them in the attic. So I get then a few years later, and now I have a bunch of paperbacks that have mice-eaten covers around the edges .
The Sage Posted - 21 Dec 2008 : 22:52:17
quote:

*Sigh* That's not really an option for me. As the Lady K is a spine-bender, and a fan of dog-earring pages in books too.

It's a habit I've had to help her break... especially if she wants to continue borrowing from my library instead of buying her own!
Brynweir Posted - 21 Dec 2008 : 22:27:23
I hope I didn't offend with the OCD comment. I sort of have one myself. I only buy paperback editions because they have to all line up on the shelves .

I completely understand the desire to keep your books in good condition. I just don't feel that same need to keep them in "mint" condition. When I get into a book, there's no way I can avoid cracking the spine as I simply refuse to put it down regardless of what else I may be doing.
rockyoumonkeys Posted - 21 Dec 2008 : 22:07:37
I definitely have OCD, and am pretty obsessive about the condition of my books. I only buy them new if I can (obviously I had to settle for used for a lot of Forgotten Realms books, and I still have some that I'll need to replace because they just weren't good enough. I bought Thornhold like five times on Ebay, and I'm still not happy with what I have.)

Even when I buy them new, they still have to be in the best condition possible; even some new books get banged up a bit, and I'll usually skip those. And yes, when I'm done reading a book, it still appears new, except for the ink-stain along the edge of the pages.

As for buying them used...I can tolerate a bit of spine creasing as long as the binding is still tight, but I can't stand it when the spine is cocked.
Asgetrion Posted - 21 Dec 2008 : 21:34:18
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Most of my reading involves public library books, so there is a definite deadline by which the books have to be returned. That means that I have to use an efficient method of reading, analyzing, and notetaking. This is especially so if multiple books that I've reserved all come in at once, from different source libraries, with different deadlines. In order to keep track of all that, I have to devour things both systematicaly and speedily. One book at a time usually works best for me, just to avoid confusing myself during my limited time countdown.

*Cue "24" countdown tone*

All of that said, I can still usually find time to squeeze in a newspaper article or two, a little research into some political or legal topic du jour, e-mail, etc. As others have said, most of us actually compartmentalize and multitask with all sorts of reading materials quite often, even if we don't realize it.

Still, for clarity of thought and notetaking practice, I prefer to go one at a time. I suppose that makes me monobiblous.

I, too, read mostly books I've borrowed at work, and I've usually got stacks of them at home. Some of them are "required reading" -- for example, because they're books every librarian around here are expected to read (e.g. novels from award-winning novels), or, occasionally, for booktalking.

I pretty much use the same method Erik does, i.e. I read different types of books (fiction and non-fiction, different genres, etc.) at the same time. For example, at the moment one of the books I'm reading is 'Cosa Nostra' by John Dickie, which is very different from Christopher Hart's manga drawing guides and the fiction books I'm reading. And one of the fiction books is a story about a boy who dreamed his whole life of becoming a cosmonaut in the Soviet Union -- which is very different from Poe's and Lovecraft's works, or 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Housseini. And so on.

Also, I do a lot of "speed reading", especially if I'm not
particularly interested in the book. Sometimes I even skip whole chapters and only try to concentrate on the "relevant" parts (this is how you might manage to read three books, or about 1000 pages, per day).

For entertainment, I read graphic novels (manga titles included) and fantasy. At the moment I'm enjoying Ed's 'The Sword Never Sleeps', Lovecraft's various short stories, and Susan Cooper's 'The Dark is Rising'.

All in all I've counted that on average I read about 600-1000 titles per year (depending on how busy I'm with RPGs and posting on the forums, of course! ).
Kuje Posted - 21 Dec 2008 : 18:05:34

I've had a few destroyed like that and I made my friends buy me new copies. I didn't hand them a book in that condition and I expect it returned to me in the same condition that it was in when they borrowed it.

quote:

I have a friend who is so OCD over his books that he only buys them new, and he doesn't even open them far enough to crack the spine. His books all appear as if they've never been read. I made the mistake of borrowing one- once- and felt so bad when I made a crease in the spine that I bought him a new copy before returning it .

(Shhhh... I don't think he knows about that.)

Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Dec 2008 : 16:34:00
I bought used books for a long time, but then I started going only with new books... And then I lost all the books I had. Which meant that to replace a great many of them, my only choice was used books.

I also made a point of getting the original versions of Spellfire and The Crystal Shard. I had the original versions the first time around, I'm having them the second time. Those are the versions I'm familiar with.

I try not the crack the spine on new books.
Lord Karsus Posted - 21 Dec 2008 : 16:19:31
quote:

I have a friend who is so OCD over his books that he only buys them new, and he doesn't even open them far enough to crack the spine. His books all appear as if they've never been read.

-I do the same exact thing. Not cracking the spine, anyway. I don't mind buying used older books that are harder to find.
Brynweir Posted - 21 Dec 2008 : 12:54:59
Since I buy so many books, I often get them used, and some of them are rather beat up when I get them. However, I must say that I've never had one where the pages fall out unless my kids got ahold of it .

I have a friend who is so OCD over his books that he only buys them new, and he doesn't even open them far enough to crack the spine. His books all appear as if they've never been read. I made the mistake of borrowing one- once- and felt so bad when I made a crease in the spine that I bought him a new copy before returning it .

(Shhhh... I don't think he knows about that.)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000