Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Your reading practices...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  07:11:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This discussion was picked up from pg. 29 of Erik's "Questions" scroll. I've set aside this scroll in order to avoid any further off-topicness and, also, because I find it somewhat interesting.
quote:
Originally posted by D-brane

quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

I am reading a Darth Bane: Rule of Two[i/], and [i]The Third Eye, but I normally read two or three books concurrently anyway. I might pick that one up again.
Can I ask . . . How do you manage to read more than one book at a time? It is a weird question I know, but I have tried to do this myself many times and have often met with defeat.

Any tips for those interested in borrowing such a skill?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  07:12:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I'm not Dags, and the question was posed at him, but I'll answer anyway, 'cuz it's my scroll (nyah!).

Aside from being able to compartmentalize (reserve thoughts about differen subjects for different parts of your conscious mind), I can generally read two or more books at the same time in a certain set of circumstances, not all of which but at least one has to be true:

1) The books are very different, genre-wise/thematically: I can read a sci-fi and a fantasy, or a biography and a spy thriller, but I can't read a Martin book and a Erikson book, for instance, at the same time.

2) I read the books in vastly different locations: One is my work book, to be read on bathroom/coffee/rest breaks (Swords of Dragonfire) and one is to be read at home/before I go to sleep at night (Kavalier and Clay). Also, these books are very different genre-wise (see #1), even if they're both technically fantasy.

3) One is assigned reading: I can always read assigned reading separately from pleasure reading. And usually that makes me read more for pleasure, as pleasure reading is a relaxation.

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  07:12:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

:: Casts Karsus' Avatar, targeted at ESDB's scroll ::

-How do I do it? I don't know. It's not something that I "trained" myself to do, or anything. I started the habit about a month or so ago. My birthday is in October, and for my gifts, I got $100 in total in Barnes & Noble gift cards. In a single trip, I spent most of that, and picked up six or seven books that I was interested in. I began reading one, then, during a trip where I knew I was going to be waiting in the car, I accidentally grabbed another- but started reading it concurrently, of course. And, continue, and there you go.

-It's a habit that I might have picked up during high school, maybe. You know, in English class, you have books that you need to read, as Erik alluded to, and those books are invariably never Forgotten Realms books, so I'd have to read those, plus my Forgotten Realms books, so...

:: Karsus' Avatar ends, and I die. Again. ::

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  07:12:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I tend to do the same thing, though I'm using only reading one novel at a time. Usually I have a single novel that I'm reading, plus at least one magazine or game book. The game books I usually read when I've only got a couple minutes, or when I'm retreating to my "reading room". The novel I read just about any other time.

Right now, I'm reading Heir to the Empire, Warmachine: Superiority, Ptolus, and Love Hina the Novel Volume 2. I'm mostly focused on the first two.

Oh, and though I've fallen out of the habit of late, I also read manga when I'm on my exercise bike.

Now what I thought was weird was what my friend Gino used to do: he'd be reading two different places in the same novel at once! He'd read a chapter or two, put in his bookmark, and then immediately resume reading several chapters later!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  07:14:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

2) I read the books in vastly different locations: One is my work book, to be read on bathroom/coffee/rest breaks (Swords of Dragonfire) and one is to be read at home/before I go to sleep at night (Kavalier and Clay). Also, these books are very different genre-wise (see #1), even if they're both technically fantasy.
This is pretty much the practice I follow as well, though I sometimes exchange the second book for a game book, magazine or graphic novel [or comic series]. In addition, I've usually got a non-fiction text that I'll read on and off when I have time.

My current reading assignments include:- False Gods [from the WH40K "Horus Heresy" series], the Fathom Volume 2 TPB, and Aristotle on Ethics [Routledge Philosophy Guidebook]. I'm also slowly working my way throuh Scum & Villainy -- the latest sourcebook for the SWRPG Saga Edition.

Once, I actually tried getting at least somewhat caught up on my backlog of books so I started a regimental program of reading about 16 books at a time. It lasted about a week. There just aren't enough hours in my daily schedule to allow my reading so many books at any one time.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  09:35:47  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm nearly OCDish about taking notes on anything that I read and am interested in, be it from a book or a web site.

If it's a web site or glossy game book, I usually write the notes down immediately, since it's difficult to simply remember what I've read, what was interesting, where I left off, etc.

If it's a novel or short story, with standard black ink on white paper, I usually leave little shorhand markings in the margin as temporary notes to myself for textual elements that I found interesting. I then continue reading, to minimize the interruption to my flow and train of consciousness. The actual notetaking itself is usually reserved until after I've actually finished reading the book.

Sometimes elements that I had initially thought were interesting turn out not to be so, once I've finished reading, so there's no need to take notes on those elements. Other times, I finish a book and find that I should've marked elements that had seemed innocuous the first time around, but actually turned out to be crucial, in retrospect.

Most of my reading involves public library books, so there is a definite deadline by which the books have to be returned. That means that I have to use an efficient method of reading, analyzing, and notetaking. This is especially so if multiple books that I've reserved all come in at once, from different source libraries, with different deadlines. In order to keep track of all that, I have to devour things both systematicaly and speedily. One book at a time usually works best for me, just to avoid confusing myself during my limited time countdown.

*Cue "24" countdown tone*

All of that said, I can still usually find time to squeeze in a newspaper article or two, a little research into some political or legal topic du jour, e-mail, etc. As others have said, most of us actually compartmentalize and multitask with all sorts of reading materials quite often, even if we don't realize it.

Still, for clarity of thought and notetaking practice, I prefer to go one at a time. I suppose that makes me monobiblous.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  11:25:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

If it's a novel or short story, with standard black ink on white paper, I usually leave little shorhand markings in the margin as temporary notes to myself for textual elements that I found interesting. I then continue reading, to minimize the interruption to my flow and train of consciousness. The actual notetaking itself is usually reserved until after I've actually finished reading the book.
Heh. I tend toward a somewhat similar practice.

I've got stacks of books [and/or comics, game books, non-fiction books] that I've recently read that have all kinds of bookmarks -- napkins, strips of paper, game cards, coins, etc. -- that mark out important passages or references from books that I want to record later for whatever reason.

Unfortunately though, this practice often takes a heavy toll while I'm actually reading a book, so I'll stop, mark out the passages and then start thinking about what I've just marked out... which kinda interrupts my overall reading of the book itself. I really should hold off thinking about all that until after I'm done, because I often find that by the time I've reached the end of the book, I realise that I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I initially would.

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Dec 2008 11:28:29
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  15:10:19  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a problem having several books on the go at the same time (not reading them at the exact same time, of course). I've always done so. Looking at my current batch, it's true that they are spread across several genres - two are professional (related but slightly different topics), one is historical, one is fiction. Plus a couple of gaming products.

I usually read them in different spots and for different occasions, but these occasionally get mixed up (one exception - bedside reading does not include professional - ever). As for note taking - on the pro side, I tend to take notes. Not always extensive, but more along the lines "such-and-such bit: p. xxx of Book YYY"). Fiction - almost never take notes. Non-fiction - depends. I usually take notes only when I think I'll need to be able to get the info in a pinch, which is most often the case for professional reading. For everything else, I can rely on memory, or can afford to look it up.

Memory is quite good, but mostly when reading and/or writing alone. Unfortunate side-effect: people assume you have a good memory for everything, and will refuse to believe any denial or explanation. E.g., the wife refuses to believe that I can remember passages from some article I read a couple of years ago, but forget to bring an additional carton of milk from the store when it's not on the list. *Sigh*

This said - doesn't everybody read several texts in parallel? Even if it's just one book at the same time, you usually read other things in between passages, no? Newspaper or magazine articles, web articles, etc. spring to mind.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  15:43:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For books, I tend to read one from start to finish before moving on to another, unless one of them is boring me or I can't stay interested in it. However, how it doesn't take me long, usually, to read a book, so, as my book journal can show, I usually go read through a book in about two days or less, depending on the topic/book.

That said, I always have a stack of magazines that I have to work through that are for bathroom reading or other places. I usually took one or two with me to class on test days so I could have something to look through after I was finished with my test.

But Thaura is right also, we tend to read web pages/etc.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  16:11:49  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually read 2 or 3 books at one time. If the book is part of a series, I read the series in its entirety again.
Go to Top of Page

sparhawk42
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  16:27:50  Show Profile  Visit sparhawk42's Homepage Send sparhawk42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually stick to one novel at a time and plow through it till I’m done. But I do tend to have several different magazines kept in different places (car, living room, bedroom) that I read a little bit at a time.

You never fail until you stop trying.
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  19:33:16  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have read as many as five books at a time before. Generally I don't have a problem as long as I read each book for a long enough period of time to get into the feel of the book. If I just read about ten pages of one and then move on to another, it is more difficult to keep track of storylines, but if I read a couple of chapters and then switch it doesn't bother me. Sometimes I have a hard time when a book has a lot of ambiguous or minor characters. For example, I had a hard time reading Blackstaff simultaneously with another book because Blackstaff has a lot of minor characters. Oddly, I didn't have that problem with Dragonlance, however, which has probably quite a lot more characters than Blackstaff.
Go to Top of Page

rockyoumonkeys
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  03:45:05  Show Profile  Visit rockyoumonkeys's Homepage Send rockyoumonkeys a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I typically read one book at a time, though I occasionally find myself "quitting" some books halfway through simply out of impatience to begin another. Depending on when I go back to that book, I'll either pick up where I left off or start over. I also tend to read at least a few books of a series or author in a row. Earlier this year I read like ten Joe Haldeman books in a row. Then last month I read the first four Shannara books in a row. Now I'm looking to read at least a few of the Dresden Files books.

I don't read very fast though. I think even if I did, I'd still rather tackle books one at a time. I envy people who can plow through a whole book in a day or two.

Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  04:55:31  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rockyoumonkeys
I don't read very fast though. I think even if I did, I'd still rather tackle books one at a time. I envy people who can plow through a whole book in a day or two.

I used to be able to do that, but I haven't had the time in the past several years to devote a whole day to reading. When I read the Dragonlance Chronicles in 5th grade I plowed through each book in a little over a day, but that was when I actually had time on my hands.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  06:31:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

quote:
Originally posted by rockyoumonkeys

I used to be able to do that, but I haven't had the time in the past several years to devote a whole day to reading. When I read the Dragonlance Chronicles in 5th grade I plowed through each book in a little over a day, but that was when I actually had time on my hands.

Ditto that... The last time I had a chance to read all day long, with no other demands at all on my time, was 2004. The reason was because Hurricane Frances had just come thru, and there was no power anywhere, including my apartment (so no DVDs or internet) and at my workplace. I couldn't do anything but read all day!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  10:01:28  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently juggling one novel and this thread. Thus far I'd say I'm doing a fantastic job multi-tasking :P

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  11:01:40  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually read two or three novels at once - one in bed before going to sleep, one (always a paperback) in the bath, and one if I get some time over, and then I always have one or two non-fiction books that I try to read a bit in at breakfast and dinner.

And yes, I'm single and have a job thats not exactly time-consuming (or well-paid).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Neil Bishop
Learned Scribe

Singapore
100 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  13:14:45  Show Profile  Visit Neil Bishop's Homepage Send Neil Bishop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will normally read 4-6 books at a time with a mix of genres. Despite being a member of this forum I generally don't like fantasy novels that much. I prefer to also read while I eat and also while I watch DVDs (I don't watch TV, per se).

However, if a book grabs me it's no unusual for me to read it straight through even if it means staying up until 4am and starting work late (I'm one of the owners of my companies so time is very flexible).

Regards
NXB
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  05:08:00  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hawkytom

I'm currently juggling one novel and this thread. Thus far I'd say I'm doing a fantastic job multi-tasking :P

-Start low and work your way up.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  09:13:25  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by hawkytom

-Start low and work your way up.

hehe ya, I was sort of being sarcastic...I honestly haven't had a desire to read multiple books at once, but I was easily able to manage and 'excel' through all years of high school/college while reading many different texts/novels(on numerous subjects) and understanding and converting it to memory daily, etc...

I guess I just sort of enjoy taking my time and enjoy the novels :)

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  13:40:15  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also normally need to read one book at a time to avoid mental confusion. However, I am able to read more than one book at a time when they are of different genres, so I always have my FR book that I am currently reading, and for example, yesterday I also read an autobiography. I don't usually do this with more than one long book. The autobiography was quite short and I read it within a few hours.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  14:45:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

For books, I tend to read one from start to finish before moving on to another, unless one of them is boring me or I can't stay interested in it.

Same here.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  22:06:38  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

For books, I tend to read one from start to finish before moving on to another, unless one of them is boring me or I can't stay interested in it.

Same here.

If you don't count trying to finish Great Expectations for over 5 years, then yes, I only read one book at a time as well

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  03:36:15  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I don't get the problem. I don't have a problem reading more than one book time as long as it's a different series. I normally don't bother though as I can read a two-three hundred page novel in ten-twelve hours. I retain it fairly well, well enough to go back and find anything I might want to use. I've always been a massive reader though.

Ionik Knight

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  04:14:40  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-For what it's worth, I am rereading Depths of Madness by request, along with The Third Eye, Darth Bane: Rule of Two, and a new one, The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality. The first and third are thematically similar, while the second and fourth are also thematically similar. Any wagers on what I finish first?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 16 Dec 2008 04:15:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  05:47:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a related topic, what do people use for bookmarks?

I use lami/idol cards. They're little cards, about 2.75 inches by 3.75 inches. They have some image on them -- anime, for all of mine -- and are laminated. I acquired some extras a long time ago, and I've since used them as bookmarks.

For magazines and larger books like game books, I use extra shitajiki. I've got a good collection of those, with some duplicates. The duplicates make good bookmarks for the larger books. Most of my shitajiki are anime-related, too, though there are a couple oddballs, like the Star Wars one or the Harry Potter one.

Thank Lurue my shitajiki weren't in storage -- a lot of the ones I have, I've only seen for sale one time.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  07:08:48  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I use lami/idol cards. They're little cards, about 2.75 inches by 3.75 inches. They have some image on them -- anime, for all of mine -- and are laminated. I acquired some extras a long time ago, and I've since used them as bookmarks.

For magazines and larger books like game books, I use extra shitajiki. I've got a good collection of those, with some duplicates. The duplicates make good bookmarks for the larger books. Most of my shitajiki are anime-related, too, though there are a couple oddballs, like the Star Wars one or the Harry Potter one.

Thank Lurue my shitajiki weren't in storage -- a lot of the ones I have, I've only seen for sale one time.

I use a whole bunch of different things for bookmarks. Nearly every time I go to a bookstore, I buy a new bookmark, usually a simple one with a tassle on it. I also use a lot of free bookmarks from bookstores and comic shops (one of my favorites was a bookmark advertising the Drizzt graphic novels). I will also often use Magic cards or playing cards, my dad's business cards, or a folded scrap of paper. If I'm just temporarily marking my place, sometimes I will use a pencil or any other random object I can get my hands on. There have been some very strange random objects I have used as temporary placeholders, including other books.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  07:39:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookmarks, usually the same one I've had for over 15 years and yes, it's starting to look a little ragged and it's imprinted with black due to ink. :)

But I found two wonderful Bast and Anubis bookmarks at Gencon this year and those two have become two of my favorites.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  11:23:07  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re Booknarks. Lemme see... Pencils, old betting coupons, large stamps, "bookmarks" from various bookstores, old shopping-lists (usually written on the back of unused ballots for the former communist party's municipality-candidates-list ack in 1998[hey, sorting those ballots paid for my tape-recorder]), and ,on one ill-fated occasion, bacon - the last can best be described as a bad, bad idea.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  12:47:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mostly, I use napkins, strips of paper, game cards, coins, or whatever else is handy.

I've got a few "proper" bookmarks too, though they're usually reserved for reading specific tomes and non-fiction books and the like.

I once had this cool "Dr. Strange" bookmark from the 70's that was among my prized possessions. Unfortunately, the Lady K took a sudden liking to it and now uses it regularly as a bookmark for herself.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  13:42:06  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've lost far too many quality bookmarks over the years to bother with good ones anymore. I'm not really sure how, but I think I may keep accidentally forgetting them in my public library books and then turning them in...

So now I use these little white cardboard dividers that come in grocery store boxes of teabags. The teabags come in tidy little rows with 3-4 dividers in between, measuring about 6 x 1 1/2". They work great: firm so they don't tear, but not so thick as to damage the book spines, blank so I can write notes directly onto them if I want, and so plentiful that there's no worry if I lose a bunch of them, which means they're easily replaced.

I stopped leaving pens and pencils in the books as bookmarks because in my experience they tend to either leave indentations in the paper, or to put a lot of stress on the spines/bindings. Because of that concern, when I do place my pencil markings in my copies of library books, I do them very lightly, to minimize the indentation in the paper, and then erase them all before returning the books to the library. And I make those marks in the margins toward the spine, rather than out by the edge where any telltale residual indications could be more easily noticed by other readers down the line.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000