Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Map of Toril - 3.5E

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Patrakis Posted - 06 Jul 2008 : 01:37:18
Hi all,

I'm in the process (have been for a while when i have time) of remaking the map of all Toril while blending the new map of Faerun with the old map of the planet. All the scribes here know that the scales and dimensions of the 3.5e version of Faerun were completely changed compared to the 1e/2e era. That always buged me and i decided to unified the two.

I completed the contour of the continents and some major changes were necessary at the frontier of Kara-Tur and Faerun. I don't know if this is of any interest to my fellow scribes but i offer it as a work in progress and will keep you posted on my work. My hope is to complete the planet at some point and i'm really looking foreward to what Mr. Greenwood will produce in the new FRCS for 4E.

Anyway, here is the link to a big PDF map (12 megs) of the contour lines of Toril with my changes. I blended the 3.5e version of Faerun with 1e/2e version of the rest of Toril.

http://patoumonde.com/picturepro//albums/userpics/10001/Toril_Topo_3.pdf

Pat
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Patrakis Posted - 25 Jul 2012 : 04:37:00
Even though i don't work on the map anymore, it's still available on my site at this link.

http://www.patoumonde.com/world-maps.html

I'm hope i can come back to it someday.

Pat
edappel Posted - 24 Jul 2012 : 14:49:28
Broken links..... That's sad.
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 02 Oct 2009 : 20:55:48
Hi, Patrakis.

This is a follow up to my earlier post about a tributary of the Ashaba river branching off to head north into the Dagger Hills in Daggerdale.

I just got the City of Waterdeep Trail Map and it too shows a tributary branching north, but this map shows it going along the western edge of the dagger hills.

Cheers,
Patrakis Posted - 02 Oct 2009 : 20:05:15
Hi,

There were so many dead links from me in this thread that i went back and corrected them all so they point to the current location of the map. Which will be permanent from now on. I hope it's ok with the moderators.

Oh and for those that migh be interested in more maps. I just uploaded the new version of my site and i'm happy to say the site is almost all bilingual in english and french. I still have many articles to translate but i'm getting there. I wanted to do this for a long time. I'm sure the translations are far from perfect but i wanted to reach my fellow gamers on the english side of the world.

The map section can be found here: http://www.patoumonde.com/maps.html

I still have some finishing up tasks to do, not the smalest being spell checking :)

Thanks

Pat
Patrakis Posted - 02 Oct 2009 : 19:36:31
Thank you for these pointers guyz. I will work on the map in the next couple of days so i'll look this up make corrections where it's due.

Meanwhile, the location has chaged yet again. So here is the final link.

http://patoumonde.com/picturepro//albums/userpics/10001/Toril_Topo_3.pdf

Pat
Snowblood Posted - 03 Sep 2009 : 08:49:53
Just a little note Patrice...the High Moor is a Karst Plateau like the one near venice in Italy...but much larger
bladeinAmn Posted - 02 Sep 2009 : 03:27:53
I love the cartography of the 3E map, but I use the 2E scales (from the 2e FRCG and 2e FR Atlas) for it on my printed out copy.

Hot damn! Something special about this map that Ed gave us! All the floodgates of inspiration for stories juss come out while looking at it!
Patrakis Posted - 02 Sep 2009 : 02:17:20
I've considered that fact for a very long time before deciding to use the changes introduced in the maps of 3E. I was very frustrated at the changes in scale they made. But since i started the project more than 3 years ago and it was obvious at the time that they would never touch any other continents, i decided to make the adjustments.

Had i known that they would drop the realms a year later, i would never have bothered with the changes. Even today i think about doing it all over again and go back to pre 3E realms cartography.

Pat
Jakk Posted - 31 Aug 2009 : 17:14:08
Just to contribute my 2 coppers regarding distortion and difficulty...

If I were to take on this project of mapping Toril for myself (which I can't see happening any time soon; I would need things like mapping skills first), I would probably (now that I have my old maps from 1E/2E, including the Kara-Tur Trail Map) do the entire world according to 1E/2E geography, which I prefer overall anyway (I prefer the cartographic style of 3E, but I don't like everything being chopped out; after all, Wizbro chopped out all the unexplored spaces, then said "we don't have any unexplored areas any more; let's blow it all up" and that was unbelievable; it's almost like the 3E geographical changes were deliberately planned to lead to 4E world-breaking.
Patrakis Posted - 31 Aug 2009 : 00:31:52
Hi Afetbinttuzani,

Sorry but i hadn't notice your post. I'll be sure to look your observation over.

I'll have to say though, that the region you mention was a bit tricky to draw because of the many distorion between the 2E version and the 3E version. The great glacier and the desert are very different between the 2 eras.

But i will check it over and come back to you on this.

Thanks,

Pat

quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

Hi, Patrakis. Your topo map is gorgeous.

One small comment: I noticed that there is no indication of the Dagger Hills in Daggerdale. Also, the Ashaba River or a tributary of the Ashaba comes down out of the Dagger Hills. The 2E Daggerdale supplement and Volo's Guide to the Dalelands (p. 79) are confusing at best, but both show the Ashaba forking, with one branch heading into the Desertsmouth mountains to the west and the other going north into the Dagger Hills.

Jakk Posted - 30 Aug 2009 : 23:02:25
Thanks for the reply, Pat.

Part of why I posted was because of the islands I mentioned in my PM to you.

I totally understand that projects like this get completed on their own schedule; I have a rules-related project that I began for 2nd Edition that has been completely abandoned, and another for 3.5 that has completely changed focus thanks to Pathfinder. On top of that, I have at least three Realmslore projects in the works right now: a Spellplague-alternative timeline, a history and family tree for the family of two of my first Realms PCs, and a divine-origins project that may never see completion thanks to NDAs and my desire to adhere to canon as much as possible.
Patrakis Posted - 30 Aug 2009 : 22:50:28
Hi JAKK,

Well yes, i'm still around. of course. I'm not know as a very active participant because my language barrier but i do come everyday.

As for the map, it's a labor of love that that is shared by many different necessities of life i'm affraid. 2 kids under 4 years of age, a job, a sick mother, gaming, etc. I would love to spend more time mapping but it's a very slow process for me and seeing that people are interested in what i do is doubly hard to not deliver.

I wish i had a new version to show but frankly, not much work has been done to it. but i will finish it somehow, i have every intention to do it. I promise.

Time is what i need and i will make a post as soon as a new version is showable :)

I envy Markus and the time he can spend on mapping. Maybe someday :)

Thanks for your interest by the way. It's very important to me and in no way my post was written to stop you from asking progress report. I'm very flattered when someone shows interest in my maps :)

Thanks

Pat
Jakk Posted - 30 Aug 2009 : 20:20:12
Patrakis? Are you still around? I was looking at my download of your gorgeous topographical map of Toril, and wondering if it was still being worked on...
Jakk Posted - 25 Jul 2009 : 01:26:44
quote:
Originally posted by Patrakis

Chaining myself to the chair right now :)

Well, don't do that... it makes things like eating rather difficult, and you need to keep your strength up. Not to mention the possibility of injury to your arms depending on how you chain yourself up, and such an injury could impair your ability to work on the map...
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 23 Jul 2009 : 17:01:37
Hi, Patrakis. Your topo map is gorgeous.

One small comment: I noticed that there is no indication of the Dagger Hills in Daggerdale. Also, the Ashaba River or a tributary of the Ashaba comes down out of the Dagger Hills. The 2E Daggerdale supplement and Volo's Guide to the Dalelands (p. 79) are confusing at best, but both show the Ashaba forking, with one branch heading into the Desertsmouth mountains to the west and the other going north into the Dagger Hills.
Patrakis Posted - 23 Jul 2009 : 03:37:14
Chaining myself to the chair right now :)
Jakk Posted - 22 Jul 2009 : 23:57:25
Actually, I like having all the topography done first; it looks more "natural" in some way... I assume you will be placing names, cities, etc. in separate layers? Anyway, enough chatter by me; you (and a certain someone else) have maps to work on...
Patrakis Posted - 22 Jul 2009 : 19:31:04
Hi Jakk,

I did receive a link some time ago about a map of Osse with topological information but i didn't know the source of the information so i dug a little deeper to find some info. And i found some.

Where i found it is on the FR interactive Atlas produced by Profantasy a while back.

Do you remember the little rotating planet we had in this program? Well that little rotating planet stopped working for me around the time window 98 came out and it kept no functionning through the millenium era and the XP era. Not until last year, for a reason i still can't understand, the thing started working after a reinstall of windows XP on my computer. Thats where i found some topographic information about the terra incognita of Toril. On that planet gizmo, there is very limited information about mountain placement on those continent and i used that info to place mountains on my map. That is about as close to canon as i could get. Everything else is derived from that info. The placement of lakes and rivers is totally me.

Anyway. I will keep on working on the map and looking foreward to present something more pleasing to the eye than a bunch of contour lines :) But it had to be done to build the rest.

Pat
Jakk Posted - 22 Jul 2009 : 18:02:21
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

<chop>
Someone over at the WotC site thought that Toril was flat (because the map is flat!), so I wanted to show him your wonderful spinning globe... but it's gone. Maybe you could just re-post that somewhere as well... I should have 'grebbed' a copy when I had the chance.
<snip>

Hey... in 4E, Toril *is* flat... in an abstract, "what's it like to be here" kind of way... apart from Laerakond, of course, which actually fits quite well into the 3.x Realms. (Sorry; couldn't resist that one.) [/4Ebash]

Edit: Re: Earlier posts: I had no problems downloading the map or globe, and I'm using IE7.
Jakk Posted - 22 Jul 2009 : 17:57:10
Just catching up with this scroll after a long absence... good to hear you're feeling better; I have my share of chronic health issues myself, but fortunately (or not?) they aren't enough to keep me from working.

The map looks great; the 'unknown' continents look great, but I'm curious as to sources for the topography. Some time ago I found a map with basic topography for Osse that I passed along to Markustay; I thought I sent you the same link as well. Maybe not; Mark had been specifically looking for sources for Osse geography at the time, and I may not have been aware of your project at the time.

Anyway, I love what you've done with the place, and AFAIK there is no canon topology for Toril outside the big continent with the exception of Maztica.

Anyway, enough from me; you have better things to do than read this... like, um, working on the map. I'm slowly learning to be more patient; certain 20-year-old NDAs have helped this process greatly.
Green Giant Posted - 21 Jul 2009 : 19:18:18
I will accept it. Nice map!
Markustay Posted - 21 Jul 2009 : 14:37:24
Very cool.

I like what you did with the 'Unknowns'.
Patrakis Posted - 21 Jul 2009 : 05:37:35
Hi folks,

An update on my map of Toril and i'm happy to say that the contour lines are almost finished. There are still some islands i need to do.

There's no locations yet, no treatment of any sort. Just the topological information.

The rivers on the Osse continent are not adjusted yet.

Now i'm curious if the community will accept this version of the map but since there is no other complete topological map of Faerun in circulation (to my knowledge), i hope it will be.

Until the next update.

Here's the link http://patoumonde.com/picturepro//albums/userpics/10001/Toril_Topo_3.pdf

Pat
Eye of Horus-Re Posted - 22 Apr 2009 : 21:16:38
I got it no problem.
Markustay Posted - 12 Apr 2009 : 15:21:58
Tried IE and Firefox again - still saying page does not exist.

I even tried a few tricks I know (like breaking apart the URL), but nada.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Apr 2009 : 07:42:44
I couldn't get to it, either. I just got a blank IE page that said "Continue" at the top.

Never mind... On a whim, I tried opening the link in Chrome, and it worked. Maybe it's some weird IE thing getting in the way.
Patrakis Posted - 12 Apr 2009 : 06:23:03
What version of Acrobat reader do you have? Maybe i converted with a too recent version of it?

PAt

PS: Anyone else having problems with it?
Markustay Posted - 12 Apr 2009 : 02:47:14
With IE, it just says "Page not found"

I just switched to Firefox, and still had the problem.

The link brings me to your page, but the download-links aren't working for me.
Patrakis Posted - 11 Apr 2009 : 21:22:22
That's strange. It's a simple PDF file. When you click the link you are brought to my windows skydive public space. Just click on the file once there and the pdf opens. At least for me it does.
Markustay Posted - 11 Apr 2009 : 15:21:57
Glad to hear you're feeling better.

I can't download the maps for some reason.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000