Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Decreased traffic over the past year?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wenin Posted - 19 May 2008 : 17:04:45
It has occurred to me over the last few weeks that I come here less and less frequently, and it's largely due to my mourning the changes in the Forgotten Realms in 4.0.

I'm left with the knowledge that there isn't much more I can learn about the Realms that has already been, and I'm not interested in the Realms that is to be.

I was wondering if there has been a drop in the traffic to the Keep over the past year.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Varl Posted - 29 May 2008 : 17:11:28
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
And before we talk about Time of Troubles and the people that don't like it.. how much did Time of Troubles actually change? Come on guys, Bane went on vacation for a while, that's all. Mystra was still Mystra. Her Chosen continued to meddle, her alignment changed did nothing and actually impacted little. Sure a couple gods died and Mask got screwed. Can't even blame the shadow weave on her alignment change.. the fact that it survived Spell Plague says to me that it was coming one way or another. But then again the Time of Troubles is a distant memory and I started playing the Realms after it hit the Realms.. so maybe my knowledge is tainted. :)

I don't know what all the hubbub is about. The fact that WotC releases the GHotR should be enough insight to the possibilities of lore intermingling throughout Faerun's timeline that squabbling over when or whether certain historical or future events occurred in one's campaign is completely discretionary to each individual DM. I fully plan on using a myriad of good campaign source material from GHotR in my present day Realms, mostly as reference to why someone or something may still be discovered today.

That said, there are also some elements of the past (but mostly, future) timelines I refuse to even acknowledge. Some of the past and virtually all of the future events that have/will transpire in the Realms simply won't happen in my Realms. And if that prevents me from being able to discuss varying effects of events I've intentionally declined, that's the way it goes. The whole canonical aspect of the Realms has always been a thorn in my side, mainly because of the expectations to conform to official Realms timelines and events in order to be able to say you're playing true to the Realms, but I see every single DM's private campaign events as occurring in their own quiet corner of the Realms.

If another DM decides the ToT happened, the Spellplague will too, and I'm a player in that game, I'll just have to live with his decisions and play along. And while it might not personally appeal to my own preferences for how the Realms "should" be run, the variations from campaign to campaign are what makes this game great.

Snotlord Posted - 28 May 2008 : 17:54:36
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens
If a 4 ed. forum was segregated one could just as well form a "Greenwoods Realms forum" or a "TSR-forum". If things become unmanageable for those using 4ed.this could always be changed at a later date, but separating the 4ed. from start seems to much of an "us and Them" situation for me.

I agree, if I understand correctly. I think the only split that makes sense is Greenwood Realms and Published Realms. All other variants is IMO likely to split the users.

And, to stay on topic, my own participation has dropped considerably the last year for a number of reasons. The monotonous complaints on the same issues is one of them.
Baldwin Stonewood Posted - 28 May 2008 : 17:45:23
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I suppose its a matter of perspective.

The ToT may have seemed horrendous at the time, but in comparison, its small potatoes next to the Spellplague.

I think the biggest difference - and the deal breaker - is the HUGE timejump. The last time, I believe the campaign only moved forward a decade. The same thing this time would have probably kept most of the fan-base intact - even if we hated the changes, we still could use most of our old material.

The timeleap basically stamped 'Garbage' on 90% of our old lore. Sure, its still valid (as many will argue), but its HISTORY... and how useful is FR history in running your games, really?

Its background, thats all. The DM needs it more then the players - they'll listen to whatever he tells them. But when they get to a town and ask you whats the name of the Inn, or the even the Innkeeper (or even his wife, three kids, and dog), we just can't answer those questions anynmore. Unless, of course, we fork over $15 a month in hopes that they will actually provide some of this information (I think me winning Loto has better odds, but whatever).

Personally, I think the time jump was a purely selfish decision on their part - because it obviously wasn't done for US. Now all those 'Creative Geniuses' get to over-write the old lore with all their own 'super cool' ideas.

It reminds of the guy who shows up at a game session, and tells everyone else they are playing wrong (because he knows better). I've seen them at the LGS, conventions, and even when invited to other group's games.

No one likes those gamers. What one group of people think is cool and belongs in their games is completely different from what another group enjoys.

Now, we have a bunch of 'official types' doing exactly that - forcing their own versions down our throats. Note I said 'versions' (plural), because they don't even seem to be on the same page with each other. Sure, they think this campaign is exciting and 'ground-breaking', but in reality, its juts a small group of people who are pleased with themselves...

just like all those individual gaming groups who mistakenly think theirs is the best.

To keep this on topic, I notice the WotC boards are down... AGAIN. Maybe they need us to start sending in that $5 a month so they can keep it running?

Anyway, I really do see traffic here increasing several fold over the next year. Just as Paizo has become the new home of 3e, this forum should become the home of the Realms - as always.

I will admit that I rarely browse WoWC site anymore but I have taken that time and energy and moved it over to Paizo. Although relatively new to this site, I do read it often for ideas, recommendations and comments. I would imagine that this site will pick up even more in few weeks.
The Sage Posted - 28 May 2008 : 17:02:15
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Usually, alternate versions of the Realms have been presented in either the Running the Realms or Adventuring shelves.
But what I am asking for, is that we have an official shelf for those of us (pre- and post-Spellplague) to present our alternate versions of the Realms. Neither of those shelves say to me, "Come here and find out how others present their Realms."
Aye. As it is, I think you can probably just as easily identify your pre- and/or post-Spellplague scrolls by using a special tag in the scroll's title to indicate alternate content. Something like [Pre-Spellplague] "Scroll Title Here" perhaps.

Really, we don't have that many discussions about alternate Realms campaigns that would warrant an entirely new shelf. Regardless of whether an FR campaign is using official content, or something you or your DM has written up especially for your home campaign... it's still all about "running the Realms."

quote:
P.S. Thank you for the CK vernacular for "forum."
You're welcome.
Hawkins Posted - 28 May 2008 : 16:17:26
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Usually, alternate versions of the Realms have been presented in either the Running the Realms or Adventuring shelves.
But what I am asking for, is that we have an official shelf for those of us (pre- and post-Spellplague) to present our alternate versions of the Realms. Neither of those shelves say to me, "Come here and find out how others present their Realms."

P.S. Thank you for the CK vernacular for "forum."
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 28 May 2008 : 15:24:04
quote:

I think the biggest difference - and the deal breaker - is the HUGE timejump. The last time, I believe the campaign only moved forward a decade.

If even that.
Markustay Posted - 28 May 2008 : 15:13:39
I suppose its a matter of perspective.

The ToT may have seemed horrendous at the time, but in comparison, its small potatoes next to the Spellplague.

I think the biggest difference - and the deal breaker - is the HUGE timejump. The last time, I believe the campaign only moved forward a decade. The same thing this time would have probably kept most of the fan-base intact - even if we hated the changes, we still could use most of our old material.

The timeleap basically stamped 'Garbage' on 90% of our old lore. Sure, its still valid (as many will argue), but its HISTORY... and how useful is FR history in running your games, really?

Its background, thats all. The DM needs it more then the players - they'll listen to whatever he tells them. But when they get to a town and ask you whats the name of the Inn, or the even the Innkeeper (or even his wife, three kids, and dog), we just can't answer those questions anynmore. Unless, of course, we fork over $15 a month in hopes that they will actually provide some of this information (I think me winning Loto has better odds, but whatever).

Personally, I think the time jump was a purely selfish decision on their part - because it obviously wasn't done for US. Now all those 'Creative Geniuses' get to over-write the old lore with all their own 'super cool' ideas.

It reminds of the guy who shows up at a game session, and tells everyone else they are playing wrong (because he knows better). I've seen them at the LGS, conventions, and even when invited to other group's games.

No one likes those gamers. What one group of people think is cool and belongs in their games is completely different from what another group enjoys.

Now, we have a bunch of 'official types' doing exactly that - forcing their own versions down our throats. Note I said 'versions' (plural), because they don't even seem to be on the same page with each other. Sure, they think this campaign is exciting and 'ground-breaking', but in reality, its juts a small group of people who are pleased with themselves...

just like all those individual gaming groups who mistakenly think theirs is the best.

To keep this on topic, I notice the WotC boards are down... AGAIN. Maybe they need us to start sending in that $5 a month so they can keep it running?

Anyway, I really do see traffic here increasing several fold over the next year. Just as Paizo has become the new home of 3e, this forum should become the home of the Realms - as always.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 May 2008 : 13:37:24
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

And before we talk about Time of Troubles and the people that don't like it.. how much did Time of Troubles actually change? Come on guys, Bane went on vacation for a while, that's all. Mystra was still Mystra. Her Chosen continued to meddle, her alignment changed did nothing and actually impacted little. Sure a couple gods died and Mask got screwed. Can't even blame the shadow weave on her alignment change.. the fact that it survived Spell Plague says to me that it was coming one way or another. But then again the Time of Troubles is a distant memory and I started playing the Realms after it hit the Realms.. so maybe my knowledge is tainted. :)

You know what? I agree. The ToT, other than the chaos that went on during it, was barely an event. I don't think that the minor shuffling of gods was all that much of a happening... And yet, as I say, there are people that absolutely hate it, and refuse to touch it. So regardless of what you or I may think, these are the feelings of other people we're talking about. We may not agree, but we've got to respect their opinions.
SirUrza Posted - 28 May 2008 : 06:13:27
I'm a day late and a buck short to this discussion but I'm pretty sure I made the suggestion way back when about separating 4E Realms from the rest. The reason or logic to it is simple, ALL THE LORE from pre-4E is useless. Everyone in the AD&D supplements is dead or dying. Locations have changed and monsters in those locations are being changed.

In my opinion nothing can be gained by "the new 4e players" by having 4e lore mingling with lore that's 100 years old. And quite honestly, I'd rather not come here and find myself reading something about 4E realms thinking it's a something else. :P

The Sage Posted - 28 May 2008 : 01:37:39
Jorkens Posted - 27 May 2008 : 17:18:29
quote:

Okay, so what about a forum specifically for various scribes to present their alternate versions of the Realms, where they will not get rolled together with everything else in the General Forgotten Realms Chat. Fans of the 4e Realms are bound to come up with their own alternate timelines/versions of the Realms, as well as previous scribes.

I always post things like that under Running the Realms, but maybe another title would be better, I haven't thought much about it.
Hawkins Posted - 27 May 2008 : 16:59:48
Okay, so what about a forum specifically for various scribes to present their alternate versions of the Realms, where they will not get rolled together with everything else in the General Forgotten Realms Chat. Fans of the 4e Realms are bound to come up with their own alternate timelines/versions of the Realms, as well as previous scribes.
Alaundo Posted - 23 May 2008 : 23:07:01
quote:

WotC will MOST CERTAINLY interpret it as CK taking sides. They have taken enough 'hits' to their structural integrity in the past couple of weeks to make them VERY paranoid - If they see their "#1 Fansite" jumping ship as well...

It could be the straw that broke the camels back, and right now, we NEED CK more then ever....

Well met

Indeed, Markustay. Very well said It is hard times for us all, but Candlekeep is the Library of Forgottn Realms lore, whatever edition it may be.
Markustay Posted - 23 May 2008 : 22:49:26
WotC will MOST CERTAINLY interpret it as CK taking sides. They have taken enough 'hits' to their structural integrity in the past couple of weeks to make them VERY paranoid - If they see their "#1 Fansite" jumping ship as well...

It could be the straw that broke the camels back, and right now, we NEED CK more then ever....
Jorkens Posted - 23 May 2008 : 20:07:33
quote:

quote:

I agree with Wooly, Erik, Sage etc on this one. The number of forums don't matter much to me, but I really don't want to see a separate 4ed. forum. There has always been variations in what Realmslore people prefered and saw as their canon and that will hopefully continue. If a 4 ed. forum was segregated one could just as well form a "Greenwoods Realms forum" or a "TSR-forum". If things become unmanageable for those using 4ed.this could always be changed at a later date, but separating the 4ed. from start seems to much of an "us and Them" situation for me. As long as people specify their questions and answers I dont see much problem with keeping things as it is.
I would suggest, that since it has been proposed that we at CK develop out own alternate time line, and if those involved were serious about it, that we have a separate forum for that. Or at least a forum for people to show/develop/et cetera their own versions of the Realms. Largely because of the percentage of current CK members who are going to ignore 4e all together, but this would also be an outlet for people who decide to ignore the changes made in 2e and 3e as well.

Yes, but people have been doing that for years, its not like this is a united community that all of a sudden finds itself opposing change. There's plenty of lore here that deviates from the "canon" Realms, so why do we all of a sudden need to draw borders all over the place.

Now, a forum for larger works like a timeline is another story. It might be usefully if a large group of people were involved in the shaping of this project. I am still uncomfortable with it being presented as a sort of official Candlekeep timeline though.
Markustay Posted - 23 May 2008 : 19:12:33
I still think that developing an alternate timeline here, which allows people to skip over 4e purchases, may be viewed with hostility by WotC. Nothing says that people can't post their own suggestions to that effect, but by creating a seperate forum for that, it would mean that CK supports the idea - I think neutrality would be best to keep CK 'safe'.

quote:

They'll be back for 5th edition, in about 5 years.

When the 'Classic Realms' gets released, covering that century they have set aside... just in case?

Anyhow, I suppose you guyss are right. Its just that the lore changes are much more massive this time out, so that a majority of questions will now have two seperate answers - Before, when we talked about the Empire of Netheril, we KNEW we were discussing the past. Thats just one of a thousand examples I could think of. Of course, as long as the OP does indeed specify the time period they are looking for information on, then it should all work out.

Like I said, I have nothing against the people who like 4e - they certainly aren't responsible for it. And who knows? Bringing in all of the 'new blood' may prove to be a good thing in the long run.

And I suppose we should wait until we have a problem, before we make allowances for one that doesn't exist yet.
Hawkins Posted - 23 May 2008 : 19:08:33
quote:

I agree with Wooly, Erik, Sage etc on this one. The number of forums don't matter much to me, but I really don't want to see a separate 4ed. forum. There has always been variations in what Realmslore people prefered and saw as their canon and that will hopefully continue. If a 4 ed. forum was segregated one could just as well form a "Greenwoods Realms forum" or a "TSR-forum". If things become unmanageable for those using 4ed.this could always be changed at a later date, but separating the 4ed. from start seems to much of an "us and Them" situation for me. As long as people specify their questions and answers I dont see much problem with keeping things as it is.
I would suggest, that since it has been proposed that we at CK develop out own alternate time line, and if those involved were serious about it, that we have a separate forum for that. Or at least a forum for people to show/develop/et cetera their own versions of the Realms. Largely because of the percentage of current CK members who are going to ignore 4e all together, but this would also be an outlet for people who decide to ignore the changes made in 2e and 3e as well.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 May 2008 : 17:55:56
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

quote:

I'm going to miss the real Realms myself

And which one is that ?

I will still miss supplements, novels set within the appropriate time period, etc etc

They'll be back for 5th edition, in about 5 years.
MerrikCale Posted - 23 May 2008 : 17:14:37
quote:

quote:

And which one is that ?

I will still miss supplements, novels set within the appropriate time period, etc etc
Jorkens Posted - 23 May 2008 : 06:34:25
quote:

And which one is that ?

MerrikCale Posted - 23 May 2008 : 02:30:56
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 23 May 2008 : 02:24:27
If I'm not intruding by offering *my* opinion?

I'm with Wooly on this: it's just the difference between canon and non-canon, and the board is already pretty good at that.

When answering a poster, you say whether the lore is canonical or not--if it's non-Spellplague lore, then you mention it. If it's non-ToT lore, then you mention it. If it doesn't matter, then it doesn't matter.

If a poster asks a specifically "non-SP" question, like "in my campaign, the heroes schooled Cyric and saved Mystra, yays! So how does magic work in the Realms in 1400?", then you answer with non-spellplague lore.

It's up to the poster(s) asking the questions whether they want canon or non-canon lore, as always. You give them lots of answers, other people give lots of answers, they pick what they want.

Cheers
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 May 2008 : 01:43:18
Well, there are still people that dislike the Time of Troubles... But we've not delegated 1E to a separate section. Yeah, a lot of people are pissed about the Sellplague, but it's actually quieted down somewhat, of late. It'll be a few months, but prolly six months or so after the FRCG comes out, people will be resigned to it and will only raise token protests.
Markustay Posted - 23 May 2008 : 01:33:40
Well, I was only kidding about the 'rant' aspect; I was thinking more along the lines of 'Product Reviews', but covering MORE then just the products - it would cover aspects of lore changes made as well, wheather it be spellplague, ToT, or Elminster's tower renovations...whatever. It would just be a place for voicing their discontent... or happiness... with stuff WotC is doing (and 3rd party, if it relates somehow to the Realms, like 3rd party splatbooks or non-Realms Ed lore). We really don't have a specific place for 'discussions' - they just end up happening everywhere.

The only reason why I suggest this is that I see opinions creeping into almost every thread lately, and if we had a seperate place for that, then mods wouldn't feel so 'heavy handed' by admonishing people when doing so elsewhere.

My reasoniong for a seperate 4e Forum is much the same as the one I gave at the WotC boards before quitting them - In a lot of cases, a question being asked may have more then one answer now. Before, if someone asked who the open Lord of waterdeep is, it didn't matter if it was 1e, 2e, or 3e - Now, the edition matters. I can just see someone giving the 'right' answer, and other people (who don't like the changes) disagreeing and saying "this is the way it is in the REAL Realms". With seperate forums, we know exactly where the poster is coming from, and can answer any questions with the appropriate temporal response. It has nothing to do with segragation, and everything to do with efficiency.

I figure, since we can afford to lose a few forums, we can also afford to gain two, just keep everything in its own place.
The Sage Posted - 23 May 2008 : 01:19:47
quote:

quote:

I honestly don't see a need for a separate 4E forum. A lot of us may hate what's being done to the Realms, but whether the lore refers to pre- or post-Sellplague, it's still Realmslore.

But with the mainstream (at least at CK) dislike for the 4e Realms, and the talk of CK developing their own lore that overlaps with the 4e Realms, I think it would be wiser. To be honest, I think that there should be a pre-Spellplague, and then two forums for post-Spellplague; Unofficial and Official. Just because it would get confusing otherwise if we begin to form our own lore and use dates that are already used in the official lore for out unofficial lore. Maybe it is something we should have an Official Candlekeep Poll on (preferably run by Alaundo, rather than just one of use common scribes; or by you or the Sage).

I tend to agree with Wooly. As it stands now, 1e, 2e, and even 3e Realmslore is freely discussed in every section at Candlekeep. To create a separate section for 4e, will generate problems later when scribes want to include 4e lore in a discussion about the 1e, 2e, or 3e Realms.

Besides, there are many who dislike the changes wrought by 3e, but it's still part of the mainstream discussion cycle here at Candlekeep. The post-Spellplague period, and the rest of the 4e Realms shouldn't be isolated because it's perceived that many dislike it. If we do that, it'll likely only increase the amount of anger and alienation some scribes feel towards the 4e Realms. By keeping such 4e discussions in among the rest of the Realmslore chatter here at Candlekeep, we are maintaining the concept that Realmslore of any edition and any type can be freely discussed here. To go against that, is to work against what makes Candlekeep the place we all love and respect.
Faraer Posted - 22 May 2008 : 23:20:52
quote:
And lumping the Sages of Realmslore together with the general would probably be a good idea - a lot of questions get asked in general anyway, and I know I feel a little "full of myself" responding to people under the 'Sages' header.
It seems to me there's a natural division between a news/products board with an out-of-Realms perspective and a Realmslore forum about the world itself. Right now there are three boards serving these two purposes.

The point of a 4E-Realms board would be to actively draw newcomers with space to discuss the new setting, for what it is rather than from the comparative perspective of current discussions. Without this, threads on the 15th-century timeline will be a minority from the start and may never flourish here.
quote:
Anyhow, that will be a forum for opinions about released products or 'setting' trends - not sure about novel opinions though (which could drive our much-beloved authors away). People can discuss their likes and dislikes THERE, and NOWHERE else.
All discussion is informed by likes and dislikes and I don't think it's productive, practical, or necessary at this point to segregate them.
Alaundo Posted - 22 May 2008 : 23:09:08
Well met

Aye the new forum will have a reorganised format and sections will be merged or renamed where appropriate.

I'm certainly open for suggestions (although i'll shout up in due course, as it's not the time place at the moment ).
Hawkins Posted - 22 May 2008 : 22:52:32
quote:

quote:

Also, a 4eFR forum is a must!!!

Despite the fact that most of old-timers hate it, we want the newcomers to feel welcome here, and people will want some of their 4e questions answered... POLITELY. No rants allowed there!

Which brings me to my next point - a 'rant' forum - maybe call it "Mace's Homestead" or something.
I honestly don't see a need for a separate 4E forum. A lot of us may hate what's being done to the Realms, but whether the lore refers to pre- or post-Sellplague, it's still Realmslore.

But with the mainstream (at least at CK) dislike for the 4e Realms, and the talk of CK developing their own lore that overlaps with the 4e Realms, I think it would be wiser. To be honest, I think that there should be a pre-Spellplague, and then two forums for post-Spellplague; Unofficial and Official. Just because it would get confusing otherwise if we begin to form our own lore and use dates that are already used in the official lore for out unofficial lore. Maybe it is something we should have an Official Candlekeep Poll on (preferably run by Alaundo, rather than just one of use common scribes; or by you or the Sage).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 May 2008 : 21:14:52
quote:

Also, a 4eFR forum is a must!!!

Despite the fact that most of old-timers hate it, we want the newcomers to feel welcome here, and people will want some of their 4e questions answered... POLITELY. No rants allowed there!

Which brings me to my next point - a 'rant' forum - maybe call it "Mace's Homestead" or something.

Markustay Posted - 22 May 2008 : 19:07:35
I believe the WotC forums is in truth the Troll Homeland.

And lord knows I was one....

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000