Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Decreased traffic over the past year?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  17:04:45  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It has occurred to me over the last few weeks that I come here less and less frequently, and it's largely due to my mourning the changes in the Forgotten Realms in 4.0.

I'm left with the knowledge that there isn't much more I can learn about the Realms that has already been, and I'm not interested in the Realms that is to be.

I was wondering if there has been a drop in the traffic to the Keep over the past year.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  17:21:33  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anything, I have thought the amount of traffic has increased...not from excitement about what is to come mind you; but instead because of anger.

That is only my personal view.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 19 May 2008 17:22:26
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  18:08:35  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Angry? Who's angry?

Not me, I used to be furious, now I'm rather in the "I don't give a **** about WotC's Realms anymore." mood.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  18:50:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't been here long enough to notice any difference - compared to most boards I frequent this one has always moved rather slow, IMHO.

I do predict a massive wave of activity when the 4e books are released - some with the core next month, and a HUGE amount come August.

Also, WotC has already announced a 'consolidation' of their boards, and are getting rid of the FR ones that exist now. All future posts are to be made in the FR section located on the 4e boards.

Yes... just one forum... for everything.

So expect a vast migration of their old FR members to other boards, including this one. This is one of the reasons I have been WAY more active here, of late. I can see Candlekeep becoming THE place for old-school Realmslore over the next couple of years.

I have nothing against the folks who will play 4e FR BTW, I just don't feel I will be able to contribute to those boards in any sort of positive way.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  18:51:40  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here. And I've been coming here at least as often as before, primarily because this is going to be one of the few places where you can still talk about the old Realms (especially once the WotC boards reoganize into something far worse).

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  19:13:40  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's morphing into something...terrible! Cue Thriller.

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  19:51:59  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I haven't gone to the WoTC boards in months, my only activity has been on the PBP board.

Edit: Odd, it says there are only 3 replies on this thread

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

Edited by - Wenin on 19 May 2008 20:03:35
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  21:09:32  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Candlekeep's been having technical issues on and off for months. Improper reply counts, forums marked unread when they have new posts, multipage threads going to the second to last page instead of the last page, stuff like that. Nothing that can't be worked around. And, of course, script time outs when trying to respond.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  01:03:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Hoondatha is correct. For over a year now, Candlekeep has been experiencing technical problems of the sort that include the now infamous "ASP Scripting Errors." Rest assured Wenin, that we're attempting to deal with the issue. In fact, Alaundo is hopeful that the upgrade to Forum 2 software for Candlekeep will eliminate most, if not all, of the problems we've currently been experiencing.

Until then, we ask you to remain patient.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  01:24:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Also, WotC has already announced a 'consolidation' of their boards, and are getting rid of the FR ones that exist now. All future posts are to be made in the FR section located on the 4e boards.

Yes... just one forum... for everything.

It's happened already, and feels rather cramped.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  03:13:44  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is rather absurd of WotC to do....not that it surprises me or anything though.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  13:31:46  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't speak of actual numbers but I know myself I've been visiting more often lately. Normally, a couple of times a day.

I to have decreased my visits to WotCs boards to nothing, to the point where I didn't know they were merging boards. I visit their front page hoping for a FR article and thats about it.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  14:49:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

It's happened already, and feels rather cramped.

So it has.

@Alaundo - Get these forums updated ASAP! The Exodus is about to begin.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  23:35:29  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the things I like about this forum is its lower traffic than the Wizards boards, much of which is idle chatter,blatantly off-topic, or about aspects of the Realms I'm indifferent to. Their folding in of their Realms and Eberron boards is a consistent consequence of their marginalization of settings, no?

If there's not much more you can learn about the Realms, Wenin, you know a hell of a lot more than the rest of us.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  00:06:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

One of the things I like about this forum is its lower traffic than the Wizards boards, much of which is idle chatter,blatantly off-topic, or about aspects of the Realms I'm indifferent to.

I plead guilty to some of that blatantly off-topic, idle chatter.

I am curious, however (just curious!), about what aspects of the Realms you're indifferent to.

quote:
Their folding in of their Realms and Eberron boards is a consistent consequence of their marginalization of settings, no?

That's what it feels like. I do think that perhaps we didn't need five seperate boards (for example, the Combat, Arms and Armor board didn't get much traffic, as far as I could tell), but one board doesn't feel like enough.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 21 May 2008 00:07:32
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  01:09:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One of the things I like about this forum is its lower traffic than the Wizards boards, much of which is idle chatter,blatantly off-topic, or about aspects of the Realms I'm indifferent to.
To be honest, I've had about enough of that as well. It's one of the reasons why I've been spending less and less time over on the WotC boards. I've even abandoned the SWRPG section, mostly because it's been suffering from much of the same problem. The Wizards Boards have changed a great deal since the early days when I first signed up. And I don't feel like there's actually much of a reason for me to bother continuing my presence there.

At least there's still Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  03:31:00  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Their folding in of their Realms and Eberron boards is a consistent consequence of their marginalization of settings, no?

-Incorrect. Because of WotC's 'Gleemax' venture, the WotC forums have slowly been changing for a good year-and-a-half to two years. Recently, 'Gleemax' was integrated with the rest of the WotC forums, rather than being a seperate but equal entity. As a measure to save bandwith, numerous forums were consolidated and/or eliminated all together.

-Because the Forgotten Realms, as well as Eberron, the "Other" campaign settings, and various other sections, had traffic that resulted in less than 50 active threads in 24 hours, the section was consolidated from six mildly active sections (I counted about 30 in total) to one very active section.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  14:31:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"One very active section"

An understatement.

Now, if you post a question there, you had better check back within 24 hours, else your reply could get pushed back a page or two.

Plus, I can't find my Kara-Tur or Utter East threads - they didn't survive the move, and I never got around to copying it all into a document.

I started to with the Ue thread, but only did a page or two, and now its all gone (or at least, well hidden). I wonder if they will be gleening them for ideas - in the old Maztica thread, I had postulated that Maztica was where the Old Dragon Empires survived the longest, and that the Maztican Gods were REALLY Draconic deities with aliases. Now I see they made Maztica's replacement a place where the old Dragon Empires survived much longer...

In a way, its a good thing, I suppose. Now I won't be tempted to create any new Realmslore again - I can make a clean break...

Except, of course, for those Elven Netbook articles.

Edited by - Markustay on 21 May 2008 19:43:34
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  16:11:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
I plead guilty to some of that blatantly off-topic, idle chatter.
In general, I don't think it's fair (especially to the non-posting majority) for half a dozen people to take over threads with IRC-style chat, though I'm not innocent of it either.
quote:
I am curious, however (just curious!), about what aspects of the Realms you're indifferent to.
For instance, the gods as distinct from their worshippers, all the inauthentic accretions and most of the ongoing timeline, rules quibbling, Karsus and Henson-Netheril, and overall the freaky exceptions (novel characters, weird PC races/classes) out of context from the overall setting.
quote:
I do think that perhaps we didn't need five seperate boards (for example, the Combat, Arms and Armor board didn't get much traffic, as far as I could tell), but one board doesn't feel like enough.
I think there were two many boards there before: I never understood the distinction between 'general' and 'people and places', and the 'arms and armor' board was never more than half on-topic.

Candlekeep has a few too many divisions for my taste, too.
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion
As a measure to save bandwith, numerous forums were consolidated and/or eliminated all together.
Regardless of the literal immediate cause of the decision, which neither of us knows for sure, it certainly is consistent with the near-cancellation of the Realms RPG line and abandonment of the logo/brand.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  18:54:31  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

At least there's still Candlekeep.

Well met

Aye, listen to the Sage No matter what, all previous versions of FR are FULLY supported here at Candlekeep. There will certainly be no chambers closed within these halls!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  18:55:55  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

An understatement.

Now, if you post a question there, you had better check back within 24 hours, else your reply could get pushed back a page or two.

Plus, I can't find my Kara-Tur or Utter East threads - they didn't survive the move, and I never got around to copying it all into a document.
Utter East Campaign + MAP!!!
Kara-Tur: Re-dux
Maztica Re-Dux

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  19:49:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You actually went and searched for them?

I was going to do that when I got home - I've been away for over a week. I figured it was rather pointless to start any 'projects' where I am now (on someone else's computer).

The links I had to those threads were on my Comp, so I just assumed they wouldn't work, since the Forums addresses have all been changed...

what did you use? Their near-useless search function?

Anyhow, thank you very much - I want to cobble all of that stuff into PDF's, even if I never get around to organizing it, at least the info will still be (buried) there.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  21:55:28  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

An understatement.

-Not really, actually. One half, to three quarters of the page are new, and the rest are not, dating back to about 12-24 hours.

quote:
Originally posted by MarkustayPlus, I can't find my Kara-Tur or Utter East threads - they didn't survive the move, and I never got around to copying it all into a document.

-Look in your subscriptions. It's not that hard, come on.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  21:57:11  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FaraerRegardless of the literal immediate cause of the decision, which neither of us knows for sure, it certainly is consistent with the near-cancellation of the Realms RPG line and abandonment of the logo/brand.

-Of course, I do know that what I said is correct, as these were the reasons given, and we have no reason to believe that they were arbitrarily lying (though, they WotC management does do that). Thus...

-And, the last time I checked, the Forgotten Realms were not canceled, nor were they being abandonded. Inherently changed, yes, but the Forgotten Realms are still the Forgotten Realms.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 21 May 2008 22:01:00
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  23:15:11  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You actually went and searched for them?

what did you use? Their near-useless search function?
The world may never know...

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  23:22:31  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion
-Look in your subscriptions. It's not that hard, come on.

That is, of course, assuming that he actually *uses* subscriptions. I certainly don't, and plenty of others don't as well.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  01:44:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting. How would you re-organise the Forum divisions here at Candlekeep?

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  02:00:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
For instance, the gods as distinct from their worshippers, all the inauthentic accretions and most of the ongoing timeline, rules quibbling, Karsus and Henson-Netheril, and overall the freaky exceptions (novel characters, weird PC races/classes) out of context from the overall setting.

*laughs* Understood. I can definitely say that my eyes tend to glaze over when a discussion turns to nitty-gritty rules. Oh well.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  02:02:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm not Faraer, but I was thinking maybe "Realms Events" doesn't need it's own seperate forum?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  02:16:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'd rename a couple of them, myself. I find it confusing, sometimes, having the Chamber of Sages and the Sages of Realmslore sections.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  02:38:05  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

That is, of course, assuming that he actually *uses* subscriptions. I certainly don't, and plenty of others don't as well.

-Anytime you post in a thread, you are automatically "subscribed" to it. That is the 'default'.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page