Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 A Grand History of the Realms (product)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bocklin Posted - 02 Feb 2007 : 12:33:11
Brand new from the product listings over at WotC: "A Grand History of the Realms".

quote:
The Grand History of the Realms chronicles the rich history of the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, presenting a detailed timeline accompanied by essays from Elminster of Shadowdale and other Realmslore experts. Although not a game supplement, it serves as a handy reference guide for players and Dungeon Masters seeking information on specific historical events. In addition, the book features an exclusive Forgotten Realms short story by best-selling author R.A. Salvatore and new revelations for Realmslore aficionados.

BRIAN R. JAMES is a senior usability engineer in the software industry. In the evenings, he is an active member of the Forgotten Realms online community and an eager student of Realmslore. Brian lives in Montana with his high school sweetheart Toni and their four children.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/fracc/9780786947317

Not a RPG product, not a novel. What is it and who will buy it? Hum...

Bocklin
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Faraer Posted - 10 Oct 2008 : 18:16:39
For instance, its origin as a compilation means it's heavily biased (as other fan timelines are) to events already given specific dates.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 10 Oct 2008 : 15:56:45
quote:
Originally posted by Thielan

Yes, I bought the book in hardcover, and spent a bit searching for the date Baldur's Gate was founded. I couldn't find one, which I found a bit odd, considering they had most other main cities....

The GHotR is a great resource, but it's still selective rather than exhaustive (I'm not knocking the book, just stating a fact).
Thielan Posted - 10 Oct 2008 : 02:31:34
Yes, I bought the book in hardcover, and spent a bit searching for the date Baldur's Gate was founded. I couldn't find one, which I found a bit odd, considering they had most other main cities....
Markustay Posted - 02 Oct 2008 : 20:03:00
Besides, I already named it over a year ago.

Although something tells me the "Empire of Evil Monkeys" will never become canon.
George Krashos Posted - 28 Sep 2008 : 01:30:35
Thanks for the recommendation Jakk, but I don't see WotC naming any continents after me in the forseeable future. Anyway, I'm happy with being a dragon.

-- George Krashos
*who just sent off his first Dragon submission query for the 4E Realms*
Jakk Posted - 27 Sep 2008 : 18:27:00
Actually, I lied in my earlier post. There are *lots* of things that Wizards could publish that I *would* buy:

3.5 ruleset, 1375DR-effective, lore-heavy regional books for:
- The Moonsea and the Bloodstone Lands;
- Impiltur and The Vast;
- Cormyr, Sembia, the Dalelands, and Cormanthor;
- Lands of Intrigue (Amn, Tethyr, Calimshan);
- The Vilhon Reach (Turmish, Chondath, Chessenta);
- Purple Dust and Golden Waters (Murghom, Semphar, Veldorn, Durpar, Estagund, Var, Yaimunnahar);
- The Land of Fate (Zakhara);
- Kara-Tur;
- Anchorome;
- Katashaka;
- whatever that continent is to the SE of Kara-Tur... because of its positioning, I would be inclined to name it after Krash in recognition of his contribution to the lore, which is what *really* makes the Realms what it is, even if the Wizbro bean-counters don't get it.
(all books at least 192 pages, *including* poster maps for Zakhara, the Hordelands/etc, and Kara-Tur, done to proper scale to fit with my existing FRCS map, preferably with the cartography freelanced to Markustay; he deserves to get some more tangible recognition for his efforts)
Anyway, it's a pipe dream, I know, but those are the only Realms products I don't have that really interest me at this point. If someone who still has an account on the Wizbro boards could quote me there, it would be appreciated; I'm not touching those boards again unless and until 4E Realms gets retconned out of existence. My group and I are more than happy to play 3.5 with "whole-cloth" lore past 1375, which is where we are anyway; our campaign is set in the 1390's (the PC's are the next generation of adventurers from my old 2E campaign, which wrapped up in 1372).
Anyway, that's as close to a rant as I'm getting here. Enjoy what you like with whatever rules you choose to use... just don't try to $ellplague me.
Ayunken-vanzan Posted - 27 Sep 2008 : 07:15:53
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Of course, the answer to that one is simple... we wouldn't have Eberron trying to pass itself off as the Realms.

Hmm ... the Eberrealms ... I like that.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Jakk Posted - 27 Sep 2008 : 01:18:04
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm still waiting for the extended, leather-bound edition with all the 'cut material' put back in.

Sort of like a Platinum-edition 'director's cut' version.

How about it Brian? You got to push those guys into giving us just a wee-bit more 3e love.

Oh... and NEW art... I'd pay $49.99 for that.

Yeah... include the cut info on the Moonshaes and more about the ascension trials of the Dark Three, and of course maps of Toril...
before the Sundering
before/after the fall of Isstosseffifil (sp?)
before/after the fall of Imaskar
before/after the fall of Netheril

Some hypothesizing might be in order for the new edition too: "what if people who actually liked the setting had been allowed to do what they wanted to do with it for 4th edition?" Of course, the answer to that one is simple... we wouldn't have Eberron trying to pass itself off as the Realms.

Sorry... I actually took a few days off from the forum to try to "de-rant" my posts... but it's not going to happen. Not any time soon, at any rate. Anyway, I second Markustay's motion for a deluxe edition, and I'd totally buy it. It's probably the only thing Wizards could publish at this point that I *would* buy, in fact.
Garen Thal Posted - 22 Aug 2008 : 23:51:53
quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat
Thanks, George! I empathize with RL limitations of time and creativity.

I'd jump up and down for a few millenia worth of Mulhorandi pharoahs. (Gilgaem made it simpler figuring out Unther's list. )

Thanks again for explaining!
Oh, poor, long-suffering George has no excuses any more, given the present I left in his e-mailbox (not a euphemism, folks) before heading off to Indianapolis.

And now we wait... ;)
George Krashos Posted - 22 Aug 2008 : 07:28:37
Oh, and I've had a bit of a play with the rulers of Mulhorand too. Steven Schend had done an "in recent past" list that didn't make the editorial cut for 'Sea of Fallen Stars' that mine is based on. That one is actually quite easy and I probably don't have that many excuses not to get that one done! But like I said, where and how to showcase them is another matter entirely.

-- George Krashos

EDIT: I'm off work all of next week so I might just see what I can come up with.
monknwildcat Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 14:52:59
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

As I was responsible for the ruler tables, I can only say that doing the Shoon in isolation didn't appeal to the completist in me. I have a mock up of all of the Ages/Dynasties/Rulers of Calimshan that have been noted in the extant realmslore but there are big, big holes. I'll get onto finishing it one day but how, when and where it will see the light of day is another question. There are a few more dynasties or lists of rulers I'm keen to look at. A listing of all the zulkirs of Thay would be pretty cool. Oh, I've also started tables/lists on the elven and dwarven realms but again the gaps are significant - requiring lots of 'whole cloth' fill by me and as with all creative endeavours, unlikely to rock everyone's world. I'll keep at it and decide in the future how to disseminate the information.

After seeing some of Garen Thal's more recent work on Cormyr before GEN-CON I was more than a little inspired.

-- George Krashos

Thanks, George! I empathize with RL limitations of time and creativity.

I'd jump up and down for a few millenia worth of Mulhorandi pharoahs. (Gilgaem made it simpler figuring out Unther's list. )

Thanks again for explaining!
George Krashos Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 08:43:12
As I was responsible for the ruler tables, I can only say that doing the Shoon in isolation didn't appeal to the completist in me. I have a mock up of all of the Ages/Dynasties/Rulers of Calimshan that have been noted in the extant realmslore but there are big, big holes. I'll get onto finishing it one day but how, when and where it will see the light of day is another question. There are a few more dynasties or lists of rulers I'm keen to look at. A listing of all the zulkirs of Thay would be pretty cool. Oh, I've also started tables/lists on the elven and dwarven realms but again the gaps are significant - requiring lots of 'whole cloth' fill by me and as with all creative endeavours, unlikely to rock everyone's world. I'll keep at it and decide in the future how to disseminate the information.

After seeing some of Garen Thal's more recent work on Cormyr before GEN-CON I was more than a little inspired.

-- George Krashos
monknwildcat Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 02:58:05
I've really enjoyed this tome! Last night I finished a first complete (prolly 10th partial) read-through! Which leads to my question!

Why were the Shoon of the Shoon Imperium omitted from the tables of human rulers? I'm curious if the Shoon did not qualify (i.e. were not humans), although the tables included the half-human Aglarondan and Narfelli monarchs.

I'll have more questions, but this one's sparked my curiosity!
Khaelieth Posted - 08 Jul 2008 : 12:14:33
Ordered mine now. IMO, the most anticipated book for Realmsians.
Markustay Posted - 03 Jul 2008 : 19:51:50
I'm still waiting for the extended, leather-bound edition with all the 'cut material' put back in.

Sort of like a Platinum-edition 'director's cut' version.

How about it Brian? You got to push those guys into giving us just a wee-bit more 3e love.

Oh... and NEW art... I'd pay $49.99 for that.
Brian R. James Posted - 02 Jul 2008 : 03:19:44
I appreciate the sentiment folks. It certainly would have been great to win an Origins Award, but I really cannot say enough great things about Hobby Games: 100 Best. I highly recommend it. Still, it’s always nice to hear that people enjoy your work. Thanks!
Ayunken-vanzan Posted - 01 Jul 2008 : 22:05:54
A pity that it didn't win. It would have been deserved.
Mkhaiwati Posted - 01 Jul 2008 : 21:44:41
I just found out from another site that this tome was in the running for best Non-Fiction Publication of the year at Origins. It lost to Jim Lowder's Hobby Games: The 100 Best.

With all of the ruckus over 4e, it is easy to forget how good this book was. Congrats to Brian.
Nevorick Posted - 23 Mar 2008 : 02:19:38
I shall ask Ed. I thought to ask here first, as to not burden the already overworked Sage.

My thanks.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 22 Mar 2008 : 23:25:45
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Information exists. You'll have to find out from someone in the know as to whether it remains NDA given the impending transition to 4E FR.

-- George Krashos

Someone like Ed Greenwood?
George Krashos Posted - 22 Mar 2008 : 22:57:12
Information exists. You'll have to find out from someone in the know as to whether it remains NDA given the impending transition to 4E FR.

-- George Krashos
Nevorick Posted - 22 Mar 2008 : 00:34:41
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Originally posted by Nevorick

Ok. Perhaps more errata? Sagrannon 1st son of Belmuth is born in 324. Imbrus I the 2nd son of Belmuth is born in 322. Slight discrepancy, yes? Anyone with canon knowledge care to answer this?

According to my records, Imbrus is, in fact, an older son (the dates listed are correct).

The discrepancy here is that Imbrus was a bastard son of Belmuth, while Sagrannon was legitimate.

A lot of the records from this dark time in Cormyr's history have been lost, altered, destroyed or willfully hidden. There's a reason this period is called the Thronestrife, after all.

Ok. That explains the discrepancy. I had noticed that the list was listing which figures were illegitimate. I guess this one was left off for spacing reasons or such.

Do you know if any details exist anywhere regarding Gorauna? I know that this was (or still is?!? ) NDA. Do you know if such information is still off-limits?
Markustay Posted - 22 Mar 2008 : 00:12:11
So, does that mean 'First Son' and 'Second Son' are like titles?

Or was there another bastard that pre-dated Imbrus?

Which means the Sagrannon reference should have read 'first legitimate son'.
Garen Thal Posted - 21 Mar 2008 : 20:23:40
quote:

Ok. Perhaps more errata? Sagrannon 1st son of Belmuth is born in 324. Imbrus I the 2nd son of Belmuth is born in 322. Slight discrepancy, yes? Anyone with canon knowledge care to answer this?

According to my records, Imbrus is, in fact, an older son (the dates listed are correct).

The discrepancy here is that Imbrus was a bastard son of Belmuth, while Sagrannon was legitimate.

A lot of the records from this dark time in Cormyr's history have been lost, altered, destroyed or willfully hidden. There's a reason this period is called the Thronestrife, after all.
Garen Thal Posted - 21 Mar 2008 : 20:16:30
quote:

I would like to clarify if Gorauna and Goarauna are the same person. The names are in The Obarskyr Royal Line on page 76 and 77. Is this a typo? Is this the same person or not?
Gorauna and Goarauna are the same person. The name is misspelled (adding an "a" after the "o") in the entry for Arathra.
Brian R. James Posted - 21 Mar 2008 : 19:12:36
I believe Garen Thal or George Krashos will have to answer your lineage questions Nevorick.
Nevorick Posted - 20 Mar 2008 : 01:04:23
Nevorick Posted - 20 Mar 2008 : 00:09:25
I would like to clarify if Gorauna and Goarauna are the same person. The names are in The Obarskyr Royal Line on page 76 and 77. Is this a typo? Is this the same person or not?
Fatherdonz Posted - 27 Feb 2008 : 20:32:34
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

This download should be free for those who actually bought the book...

Well, to some of us who bought it(and those of us who didn't)in hardback, it will be a free .pdf

Ask James Lowder if he knows how to get it free. I know he knows

Cheers,

Fatherdonz
scererar Posted - 12 Jan 2008 : 02:22:49
there was a blurb about grand history of the realms on WOTC, with an addition that covers the Moonshaes timeline

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080110

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000