Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Depths of Madness: Prologue & Chapters 1 - 7

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 28 Feb 2007 : 21:06:21
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Depths of Madness(Book 1 of The Dungeons series), by Erik Scott de Bie. Please discuss the prologue and chapters 1 - 7 ("The Gathering") herein:
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Apr 2009 : 16:59:10
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

As I recall, I had just read Races of Stone and--finding the "Throw Ally" feat particularly amusing and full of neat visual potential--decided that heck, might as well.

I made much use of that feat in a Blood Bowl league, years back. Give the ball to the Catcher, have the Treeman hurl him down the field, and then run for the touchdown.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 01 Apr 2009 : 16:14:42
Indeed!

And I'm glad I discovered Goliaths. I recall initially I thought the name silly and said "oh no, not another stone giant-like creature," but upon a little delving determined that goliaths were really quite fascinating and fit perfectly with that I wanted for DoM. (Even made up a few more goliath phrases--I have a small Gol-kaa dictionary somewhere on my computer.)

I won't say which (as this is the Book Club thread for the first chapters in the book and I wouldn't want to spoil the rest of the novel for any new readers), but some of the scenes utilizing Gargan and goliath culture were among the first I visualized for the book, and of which I am very proud.

Cheers
skychrome Posted - 01 Apr 2009 : 15:59:03
quote:
As I recall, I had just read Races of Stone and--finding the "Throw Ally" feat particularly amusing and full of neat visual potential--decided that heck, might as well.

Hahaaa! Too true! This feature brings to mind inmediatley dwarfes in full mail being propelled into the midst of enemies approaching through a narrow tunnel.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 01 Apr 2009 : 15:28:53
I think Gargan was initially a mechanical decision.

As I recall, I had just read Races of Stone and--finding the "Throw Ally" feat particularly amusing and full of neat visual potential--decided that heck, might as well. I needed some serious muscle for the group and a sort of companion/counter for Slip.

As it turned out, Gargan worked better as a foil for Twilight--he is basically her opposite in most ways. (He is strong where she is weak, slow where she is fast, wise where she is smart, etc.)

Cheers
skychrome Posted - 01 Apr 2009 : 15:05:38
Thank you for the answers Erik!

quote:
Interestingly, Gargan was kind of a throw-away character at first . . . but pretty quickly I realized he was just so awesome that he was going to be important.

And how did you come about the goliaths and a goliath as a band member? I am curious, how this developed!

-
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 01 Apr 2009 : 06:22:29
It's definitely one I'd be pleased to write for. At one time, I was working on the then-Ravenloft editor (no schmoozing involved--she was quite cool), but she didn't have any room for me at the time.

Well, hope springs eternal, right? (Except in the land of mists, of course, where it dies a slow and agonizing death.)

I guess we'll see what happens.

Cheers

P.S. Off-topic from Depths, I think Downshadow is a little lighter. Don't get me wrong--there's plenty of dark in this book, but it's maybe a little more balanced. (Probably some of my lighter influences.) I'm quite happy with how it turned out, and I hope readers will be too.
The Sage Posted - 01 Apr 2009 : 05:16:41
quote:

Well, I'm also a big Ravenloft fan, so I'm familiar with dark.
Now there's an excellent idea. If there is ever to be any new RAVENLOFT fiction from WotC that's set in the old Demiplane of Dread, it's one setting that I'd love to see you write for, Erik.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 01 Apr 2009 : 05:12:44
I get the Cube question a lot, actually, and no, I have never seen it.

When I designed it, I had seen (fairly recently) The Thing and Saw/Saw II, and I took some inspiration from those films. That's probably the best "where did your ideas come from?" answer I can give on this one.

Well, I'm also a big Ravenloft fan, so I'm familiar with dark. I like putting characters through the emotional ringer and seeing what comes out the other side.

Twilight was pretty much the hero I wanted (not your typical fantasy heroine, and not the typical main character of this kind of story), and I pretty much got Davoren instantly (having just read through Complete Arcane). The other characters . . . I don't know, just kind of manifested.

Interestingly, Gargan was kind of a throw-away character at first . . . but pretty quickly I realized he was just so awesome that he was going to be important.

Cheers
skychrome Posted - 01 Apr 2009 : 04:19:42
Erik, I got a question regarding your first ideas for the book.

I think the book is very original and also a bit "out of the FR box" in the sense of "this is far from being a typical dungeon".

So when WoTC asked you to write a Dungeons novel, what were your initial thoughts on what you wanted to do? How long did it take you to shape the dungeon, the characters and the story line in your mind?

Is there a specific "why" it occured to you to write the book the way you did?

Did you by the way see the movie "The Cube" (must be from 2000) or something like that, where a very mixed group of characters wakes up in some kind of cube prison and must work together to survive?

-
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 13 Mar 2009 : 04:25:04
Thanks SLD, and let me know if you have any questions. I won't spoil the book, obviously, but any side info you might be interested in . . .

Cheers
Sith_Lord_Drizzt Posted - 13 Mar 2009 : 02:44:47
A great start! This novel already seems to have it all....Humor, Mystery, Horror, and much more. I really like the tension between the characters. I'm looking forward to how they progress. Twilight was a great character in "The Greater Treasure" and she's just as interesting and enjoyable to read in this novel. Now I better stop commenting and start reading again!
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 10 Mar 2009 : 04:07:28
Thanks for the vote of confidence--I hope not to disappoint.

Cheers
Sith_Lord_Drizzt Posted - 09 Mar 2009 : 19:23:21
This is the next book in my list to read. I just picked up a copy. I read about Twilight in "The Greater Treasure" and was hoping that she'd show up in another book. I'm really looking forward to this one as I enjoy Erik's writing.
Alisttair Posted - 09 Mar 2009 : 13:39:10
I just read chapter one and HAD to say that I made a fool of myself laughing so loud in my office during my break as a few people looked at me funny. All because of that darn Twilight making a fool out of that Troll. Great stuff
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 07 Jul 2007 : 00:35:14
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

While I would have had the best of intentions by quoting some of your comments, some potential purchasers of Depths, while reading the review, may not have initially seen it that way, and would then likely consider my review to be somewhat biased by your own opinions.

My concern as well. I'd hate to have your thoughts overshadowed or dismissed out of misinterpretation. (Huh . . . I wonder if that's something all writers deal with?)

quote:
'Tis indeed a rare occasion for me to enjoy a particularly new character, introduced in the more recent Realms fiction, on so many levels as I've done with Twilight, of late.

I am honored, good sir!

quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

Davoren is a poor, poor bully boy. And to think, if he dies, he'll be at the mercy of whatever demonic/devilish pact he signed to gain his powers. Ag, shame! (as they say in Sef Efrican colloqual english)

Indeed, indeed!

quote:
Like RF, I really liked the fact that characters need to relieve themselves, sleep, eat and drink.

I'm glad you appreciate that as well!

quote:
I don't think I liked the "phat lewt" they all got at the start, but it might just be a plot device. I think it lulls both them and the reader into a false sense of security -- I won't say more about that here, but will take this up in the next section's thread.

I think your suspicions might be . . . whoop! Next section.

quote:
And Master de Bie, you had to have sewers didn't you. Reminds me too much of It, my all time most scariest book like eva.

Gah! Clowns. GAH!!!

quote:
Nasty book, but good book!

I’m glad you’re enjoying.

Cheers
Kyrene Posted - 06 Jul 2007 : 08:23:03
quote:

quote:

I would probably be able to read the rest of this thread by the weekend, as I manage about 15 pages a day currently. Very poor performance I know, but I blame Obsidian Entertainment for that.

No worries about the threads--but feel free to ask me any more questions that come up!

Well, I actually surprised myself last night. There simply was no urge to slog through Highcliff Castle with Nita the Half-Drow and companions, so I managed about 90 pages more.

Davoren is a poor, poor bully boy. And to think, if he dies, he'll be at the mercy of whatever demonic/devilish pact he signed to gain his powers. Ag, shame! (as they say in Sef Efrican colloqual english)

Like RF, I really liked the fact that characters need to relieve themselves, sleep, eat and drink.

I don't think I liked the "phat lewt" they all got at the start, but it might just be a plot device. I think it lulls both them and the reader into a false sense of security -- I won't say more about that here, but will take this up in the next section's thread.

I don't trust any of the companions except maybe Taslin (sp. and/or name totally wrong) and Assom (sp.), but since I can't remember where a certain purple people eater occurs, I also won't say more about that here. I know, my memory is a shoddy thing, I like only read it last night like you know...

And Master de Bie, you had to have sewers didn't you. Reminds me too much of It, my all time most scariest book like eva.

I'll leave the rest of what I want to say for the next section, as I am at Chapter 13 now, and it would be safer that way with my memory and spoilers and random thoughts and such...

Nasty book, but good book!
The Sage Posted - 06 Jul 2007 : 04:16:43
quote:

If you feel the need, sure, though you seem more than articulate on the subject without my rambles!
Heh. I was actually beginning to wonder whether I was being *too* thorough in my explorations of Twilight's character...
quote:
If you want my opinion, I think I'd prefer you review it based on your own analysis and extrapolations, rooted in the text, and not in our extracurricular discussion. Only because I worry that it would take away from your own voice and opinion! I don't want it to seem that I'm feeding you these ideas, which you yourself have come up with and just *happen* to be dead-on.
Actually, I started considering this, as I began writing my review. I've been content enough to borrow from some of my own ramblings here, but when it came to my including tidbits from your own discussions at Candlekeep, I started feeling a little uncertain. While I would have had the best of intentions by quoting some of your comments, some potential purchasers of Depths, while reading the review, may not have initially seen it that way, and would then likely consider my review to be somewhat biased by your own opinions.
quote:
(For the record, I do consider you to have started this exploration of Twilight's character and to have stumbled upon these intentions of your own volition, without any coaching from me! That you happen to have arrived exactly where I wanted you--mwahahaha!--I take as a high compliment. )
As you should. 'Tis indeed a rare occasion for me to enjoy a particularly new character, introduced in the more recent Realms fiction, on so many levels as I've done with Twilight, of late.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 06 Jul 2007 : 03:52:38
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

"Depths of Retardedness"? That's...strange (I saw it myself). And it wasn't a review.

Agreed. Sometimes I wonder if these reviewers are reading the same book as I wrote. Meh.

quote:

Is it okay if I quote you in some parts, though?

If you feel the need, sure, though you seem more than articulate on the subject without my rambles!

If you want my opinion, I think I'd prefer you review it based on your own analysis and extrapolations, rooted in the text, and not in our extracurricular discussion. Only because I worry that it would take away from your own voice and opinion! I don't want it to seem that I'm feeding you these ideas, which you yourself have come up with and just *happen* to be dead-on.

(For the record, I do consider you to have started this exploration of Twilight's character and to have stumbled upon these intentions of your own volition, without any coaching from me! That you happen to have arrived exactly where I wanted you--mwahahaha!--I take as a high compliment. )

So, to wit: Your own (apt) judgment!

Cheers
The Sage Posted - 06 Jul 2007 : 00:36:37
quote:

P.S. I don't suppose you'd consider writing a review for Amazon and including some of these thoughts? I think they definitely add a depth of meaning (heh! pun not intended) that enhances the book and is, notably, exactly what I was going for.
Sure thing!

Is it okay if I quote you in some parts, though?
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 05 Jul 2007 : 23:19:47
quote:
I think of the two characters as opposites in many ways, particularly in core motivation: Cale's priority seems to be controlling his own destiny, whereas Twilight is deathly afraid of taking responsibility for her own actions (hence constant fleeing).

That certainly makes sense--in your novel, she never seemed to want to take charge, even though she eventually does it grudgingly.

"Depths of Retardedness"? That's...strange (I saw it myself). And it wasn't a review.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 05 Jul 2007 : 19:16:34
quote:

I think that's what I've found to be one of Twilight's more attractive features as a character. It's not so much about making you immediately want to know more about her. Rather, it is a character trait that suggests, even when we do learn a little about Twilight... we're presented with one or two new and extra questions about her, raised at the same time. It prompts us, as readers, to look even deeper... to find what Twilight and all her trials mean to us, as we experience her journey.

Absolutely! Absolutely!

Not to mention, of course, that she's hot.

Cheers

P.S. I don't suppose you'd consider writing a review for Amazon and including some of these thoughts? I think they definitely add a depth of meaning (heh! pun not intended) that enhances the book and is, notably, exactly what I was going for.

Plus, you'd get to read the weird criticisms posted, i.e. "Depths of Retardness."
The Sage Posted - 05 Jul 2007 : 17:13:46
quote:

What's been going on with the timeouts, lately? I've noticed that as well.
Alaundo's been trying his hardest in an attempt to track the source of these recent problems, as was noted in this scroll.

quote:
Your analysis and theories are spot-on . . . Twilight isn't entirely honest in the face she shows to the world, and her bravado and self-aggrandizement are, to an extent, her version of coping with her own very real fears about, well, *living*.
I think that's what I've found to be one of Twilight's more attractive features as a character. It's not so much about making you immediately want to know more about her. Rather, it is a character trait that suggests, even when we do learn a little about Twilight... we're presented with one or two new and extra questions about her, raised at the same time. It prompts us, as readers, to look even deeper... to find what Twilight and all her trials mean to us, as we experience her journey.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 05 Jul 2007 : 16:38:37
quote:

I have to say this as a preamble: I have purposely not read anything in this thread so as not to SPOIL myself. My questions may have already been addressed therefore, but...

I'm exactly halfway into this section of the book, and quite frankly I'm a little confused. Should the warlock not have recognized Twilight when they "meet again" in the prison? Or has the prologue got nothing to do with the rest of the book?

Well--how to answer this question without spoiling you . . .

The addition of Davoren's name into the prologue kinda gives this away, but yes, Twilight and Davoren *do* recognize one another in the first chapter. Davoren appears to be about to name her when she cuts him off.

You're kinda supposed to be wondering what's up with them.

Good catch!

quote:
Also, did the party not ascend the stairs after the "manhole" with swords drawn? Yet, straight after Lien -- lucky bastard -- gets off (no pun intended) from 'Light after the green-gout-of-flame-trap, the party draws weapons to again attempt ascending the stairs...

You know, I think you're right. In my defense, I believe I didn't intend that everyone would have weapons drawn as they climbed--only Gargan and Taslin. And that's not really accurate anyway, since Liet, Taslin, and Twilight are the only ones with swords anyway.

Confusing text. Sorry about that!

quote:
Those two inconsistencies aside, what a deliciously grim tale thusfar. In my misspent youth I was a great fan of Steven King's earlier work, and Master de Bie, you've captured that "horror anticipation feeling" perfectly. At any moment the troll could wake up. At any moment the "owners" of the broken teeth could menace the party. At any moment a trap could be missed, despite racial bonii to Search and Spot.

Why thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

quote:
Best scene thusfar: obsidian griffon - 500gp, rusted chain - 5sp, two days of bludgeoning damage to break free - priceless.

Heheheh! You got it.

quote:
I would probably be able to read the rest of this thread by the weekend, as I manage about 15 pages a day currently. Very poor performance I know, but I blame Obsidian Entertainment for that.

No worries about the threads--but feel free to ask me any more questions that come up!

quote:

Sorry Erik, but with the recent ASP timeouts, I didn't see this reply earlier.

Hey, no worries! What's been going on with the timeouts, lately? I've noticed that as well.

Your analysis and theories are spot-on . . . Twilight isn't entirely honest in the face she shows to the world, and her bravado and self-aggrandizement are, to an extent, her version of coping with her own very real fears about, well, *living*.

quote:
I think, maybe, I'm starting to read far too deeply into this...

Oh no, you aren't. You're just plumbing to the depths of my intentionality. Now whether that's more than this novel can pull off, well . . . I suppose we'll see if your suppositions turn out to be right, if Twilight ever returns in another piece.

Cheers
The Sage Posted - 05 Jul 2007 : 14:51:56
Sorry Erik, but with the recent ASP timeouts, I didn't see this reply earlier.

quote:

...whereas Twilight is deathly afraid of taking responsibility for her own actions (hence constant fleeing).
Indeed. I noticed that Twilight often didn't limit this particular attitude to just physical encounters either. She often displayed a tendancy to also remove herself from situations dealing with personal issues as well. It almost felt, at times, that Twilight was seizing every opportunity she could manage to avoid elaborating on direct questions posed to her about herself, her place in the world and, sometimes, even how she felt.

Seemingly, I think Twilight was sometimes trying to avoid the "big questions" on purpose -- perhaps, due to the fact that she was either afraid, or maybe just unsure, about what answers she would uncover when forced to face these particular aspects about herself. Or maybe she has the answers, regardless of whether she wanted them or not, but she has yet to face them completely. There's psychological security in deliberate ignorance, after all.

So much so... that the Twilight we see and know, may be nothing more than a means for her to keep the outside world at bay -- forcing the Realms around her to relate to "this" Twilight, rather than her true self -- whatever that may be.

I think, maybe, I'm starting to read far too deeply into this...
Kyrene Posted - 05 Jul 2007 : 09:14:05
I have to say this as a preamble: I have purposely not read anything in this thread so as not to SPOIL myself. My questions may have already been addressed therefore, but...

I'm exactly halfway into this section of the book, and quite frankly I'm a little confused. Should the warlock not have recognized Twilight when they "meet again" in the prison? Or has the prologue got nothing to do with the rest of the book?

Also, did the party not ascend the stairs after the "manhole" with swords drawn? Yet, straight after Lien -- lucky bastard -- gets off (no pun intended) from 'Light after the green-gout-of-flame-trap, the party draws weapons to again attempt ascending the stairs...

Those two inconsistencies aside, what a deliciously grim tale thusfar. In my misspent youth I was a great fan of Steven King's earlier work, and Master de Bie, you've captured that "horror anticipation feeling" perfectly. At any moment the troll could wake up. At any moment the "owners" of the broken teeth could menace the party. At any moment a trap could be missed, despite racial bonii to Search and Spot.

Best scene thusfar: obsidian griffon - 500gp, rusted chain - 5sp, two days of bludgeoning damage to break free - priceless.

Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 02 Jul 2007 : 18:36:14
If I might lift a couple somethings from Sage's wonderful observations:

quote:

Erevan's faithful can probably never be too sure with just how, or even whether, they're actually serving Erevan's interests in the way he intended, or not.

Heh. That hits on a particularly important aspect of serving a trickster deity--whether your actions, even if they're meant to disrupt the deity's desires, aren't in the end serving the deity.

Erevis Cale, in his relationship with Mask, is similar, in a sense--try as he might, he seems to be helping Mask as much as hindering him.

I think of the two characters as opposites in many ways, particularly in core motivation: Cale's priority seems to be controlling his own destiny, whereas Twilight is deathly afraid of taking responsibility for her own actions (hence constant fleeing).

quote:
Therefore, it's difficult for outsiders to ascertain just who they are dealing with when they encounter a member of Erevan's church.

Not to mention, of course, that many of them would regularly be in disguises, perhaps two or three layers deep, either subtle or opaque, the better to go about their tricksy deeds.

quote:
Thus, we can indeed see why Twilight's overall status in the church of Erevan is just as perplexing to us, as it probably is to other members of the church, and also, to people who aren't part of the clergy.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Cheers
The Sage Posted - 15 Jun 2007 : 00:58:28
quote:

It should be noted that the remainder of Erevan's faithful is probably just as hard to fathom (if not harder) as Twilight herself is. So she may be a hero or mighty figure to some, and others may not know her at all, or she may want nothing to do with Erevan's faithful.
I think that has a lot to do with the overall nature of Erevan himself -- as a finicky and unpredictable deity. A great many elves and/or lay worshippers of other races may find successfully serving most of the Trickster's mortal interests, difficult to attend to. Erevan's faithful can probably never be too sure with just how, or even whether, they're actually serving Erevan's interests in the way he intended, or not. Therefore, it's difficult for outsiders to ascertain just who they are dealing with when they encounter a member of Erevan's church.

Add to this, the rather loosely structured church itself, comprised of significant numbers of rogues and pranksters [character types who personify "hard to fathom" aspects in the Realms]. Thus, we can indeed see why Twilight's overall status in the church of Erevan is just as perplexing to us, as it probably is to other members of the church, and also, to people who aren't part of the clergy.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 14 Jun 2007 : 21:33:23
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

I really enjoyed the book! The Mad Sharn, the Goliaths, Davoren Hellsheart (warlocks rock!), and of course Twilight herself, the mystery lady...

Welcome, and I'm glad you enjoyed! It was a very fun book for me to write as well.

Did you have a particular favorite scene or character? Sounds like Davoren was a hit.

quote:
Just one question about Fox-at-Twilight: is she Erevan's Chosen, as strongly implied, or just a thief devoted to the elven trickster deity?

Ah, one of the big questions. And one which I will not and cannot answer. My apologies!

I would happily point out, however, that as a divine seeker, she derives certain divine powers from Erevan (whether she really accepts them or not), so it's clear she isn't just any old thief.

(Speaking strictly on a hypothetical basis, we do realize that her Chosen/non-Chosen status would absolutely be NDA territory, were I to publish more about Twilight, yes? . . . Not that I'll say whether or not she's going to reappear.)

quote:
As I see it, Twilight's status has yet to be "fully and officially" confirmed completely in canon -- in other words, it's not actually something stated in the novel or in sourcebooks. For now, it's just an interpretation the reader picks up from Twilight's published appearances so far.

Yup, yup--that's the dealy. I think Sage has definitely hit upon what I intended all along.

quote:
In some of the Candlekeep Book Club [or was it in Erik's 'Questions' scroll] discussions regarding Twilight's status, Erik tell us that he established a pretty strong connection for the "special" relationship that exists between Twilight and Erevan through several passages in Depths of Madness. And that's mostly what I thought when I read through them myself.

It's certainly not your cut-and-dried, worshipper-god relationship. Twilight has made certain outrageous claims regarding their relationship, specifically its "intimate" nature (see "The Greater Treasure"). But then, there's that dream in Depths . . .

Who knows.

(Except me. And I'm not telling. )

quote:
That's enough for me to believe that Twilight does in fact enjoy a unique status of sorts among Erevan's faithful...

It should be noted that the remainder of Erevan's faithful is probably just as hard to fathom (if not harder) as Twilight herself is. So she may be a hero or mighty figure to some, and others may not know her at all, or she may want nothing to do with Erevan's faithful.

To answer Lyrna:

quote:
And I also give Erik credit for putting Twilight through the ringer. Same goes for Everis Cale--I don't mind that he's a "Chosen" of Mask because that doesn't seem to make Cale's life any easier--in fact, his life is harder because of it.

Nothing about Twilight's interaction with Erevan's church (or any of the various forces allied with him) has made her life easier. Perhaps a little more interesting, perhaps richer, but not easier. Definitely not.

Cheers
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 13 Jun 2007 : 23:55:42
quote:

And, to be honest, I actually prefer the "vagueness" regarding Twilight's status as a Chosen. Maybe she is, and maybe she isn't. It adds a new level of mystery to her character... a level that I'd prefer not to receive a great deal of attention in the possible future books to come.

It reflects my overall attitude regarding how most of the non-Mystran Chosen should actually be handled in the fiction. These characters should really just occupy a special, yet not completely defined, place in the faith of their god, not necessarily a Chosen, nor a mere mortal worshipper either.

I agree on both counts. And I also give Erik credit for putting Twilight through the ringer. Same goes for Everis Cale--I don't mind that he's a "Chosen" of Mask because that doesn't seem to make Cale's life any easier--in fact, his life is harder because of it.
The Sage Posted - 13 Jun 2007 : 00:57:32
And, to be honest, I actually prefer the "vagueness" regarding Twilight's status as a Chosen. Maybe she is, and maybe she isn't. It adds a new level of mystery to her character... a level that I'd prefer not to receive a great deal of attention in the possible future books to come.

It reflects my overall attitude regarding how most of the non-Mystran Chosen should actually be handled in the fiction. These characters should really just occupy a special, yet not completely defined, place in the faith of their god, not necessarily a Chosen, nor a mere mortal worshipper either.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000