Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Smoking in the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
malchor7 Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 17:50:49
I'm sure this question has been asked and answered elsewhere, but do people smoke in the Realms?

What? How?

Is there a cigarette equivalent, or is everything done with pipes?

m
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 14:23:55
And Ed's talked about both in the past in his replies here at Candlekeep. Just check the compiled reply archives.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 14:19:46
quote:
Originally posted by Genis

ah...the splendor of candlekeep, discussing the finer parts of the Forgotten Realms...lol next subject, is there crack cocaine and hookers in the realms?

Prostitutes, yes. Crack, no, but there are other drugs.
Genis Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 08:46:51
ah...the splendor of candlekeep, discussing the finer parts of the Forgotten Realms...lol next subject, is there crack cocaine and hookers in the realms?
Brimstone Posted - 13 Nov 2008 : 19:39:13
-Hey I work at a great one so, here is the # (555)-123-4567.

BRIMSTONE
Razz Posted - 13 Nov 2008 : 16:31:09
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Great Ceaser's Ghost!

Now it all makes sense... 4e is really just El on a really bad trip.

I heard he even traded in his twisted tower for a giant mushroom and now just hangs out in the woods dispensing advice to little girls who eat and drink things they really shouldn't.

Now we just have to wonder when he'll go in for detoxification and rehab so we can all get back to normal?
Markustay Posted - 10 Nov 2008 : 03:34:18
Great Ceaser's Ghost!

Now it all makes sense... 4e is really just El on a really bad trip.

I heard he even traded in his twisted tower for a giant mushroom and now just hangs out in the woods dispensing advice to little girls who eat and drink things they really shouldn't.
The Sage Posted - 09 Nov 2008 : 23:49:47
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I understand he traded his pipe in for a Bong in 4e.

It's still magical, though.

So does that mean the Spellplague may simply be the Realms version of a "Magical Mystery Tour?"
The Sage Posted - 09 Nov 2008 : 23:46:57
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

'Pipeweed' is also grown in Tethyr.

I was just about to mention that. There's a county in Tethyr run by a halfling noble and a large halfling population resides there.
You mean County Vintar?
quote:
The Purple Hills I believe it's called. Their main commodity is vast farms of "pipeweed".
Don't forget the wine and cider as well.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Nov 2008 : 23:17:57
quote:

It's still magical, though.
Markustay Posted - 09 Nov 2008 : 18:50:47

Brimstone Posted - 09 Nov 2008 : 18:31:42
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Yeah, I've heard of this guy called Elminster who has an enchanted pipe, so I'm pretty sure smoking happens :-)

-Now I know why he hears voices in his head now.

BRIMSTONE
Razz Posted - 09 Nov 2008 : 18:20:22
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I was just about to mention that. There's a county in Tethyr run by a halfling noble and a large halfling population resides there. The Purple Hills I believe it's called. Their main commodity is vast farms of "pipeweed".
Thumb Posted - 09 Nov 2008 : 15:30:50
Miscellaneous Items (Tobacco/Pipeweed of the Realms)

Here is a list of tobacco/pipeweed I found online a number of years ago. I looked online to find the web address but it seems to have disappeared long ago.

List nation of origin, it’s common name, and price in gold pieces.

Maztica
~Money~
50 gram pouch (80 gp)
Zahekarin (Dwarven variety)
~Axe~
50 gram pouch (1 gp)

West Fennet (Cormyr)
~Afterburn~
50 gram pouch (6 sp)

Neblin (Deep Gnome variety)
N/A
50 gram pouch (5 gp)

Selterian (Halruaa)
~Shards~
50 gram pouch (3 gp)

Bree (Liuren)
~Breeze~
50 gram pouch (100 gp)

Silfarindrin (Elvish variety)
~Evereskan~
50 gram pouch (10 gp)

Makepeace Pipe (Mastercraftworks) (30 gp) high quality item
Note: Pipe 13-15 inches in length made entirely of clay. Each pieces if fired in the magical kiln of the master potter llvn Makepeace of Corm Orp.

(*) similiar to the Churchwardens of Tolkien's Fellowship of the Rings novels

Thumb
sleyvas Posted - 11 May 2007 : 16:41:45
Yeah, I've heard of this guy called Elminster who has an enchanted pipe, so I'm pretty sure smoking happens :-)
Kuje Posted - 11 May 2007 : 03:52:16
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Well met all,

One of Ed's replies inteh Chamber of Sages this year had a reply that had to do with cigars...can't seem to locate the post though =(

There's a April 20th reply of this year with a NPC that chews tobacco or unlit cigars.

If that isn't the post you mean, then I'm not sure. It's the only post for this year that has cigar in it....
AlorinDawn Posted - 11 May 2007 : 03:46:14
Well met all,

One of Ed's replies inteh Chamber of Sages this year had a reply that had to do with cigars...can't seem to locate the post though =(
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 09 Mar 2007 : 03:50:14
I think the FRCS mercantile section (the map showing the flow of goods) would indicate the lands where tobacco grows. I'll check and get back to you...
MaxKaladin Posted - 08 Mar 2007 : 18:15:15
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

and Swords of Eveningstar as mentioned above (though I don't recall it).
I'm not sure how to describe it further without the book in front of me and without spoilers, but it's in the last half of the book. The smoker in question is a Purple Dragon with one of those ranks I can never remember.
ShadezofDis Posted - 08 Mar 2007 : 13:35:19
Rollies wouldn't be unreasonable but I wouldn't ever have prepackaged cigarettes with filter and all, although that begs the question, is the Realms able to produce a rolling paper?

If so then it's no real problem including rollies, if not then you might just have to stick with pipes and cigars (perhaps cigarillos but I'm unsure of what they are "wrapped" with *g*)

And it's unlikely that you'll see any new official FR material about it, otherwise concerned parents will revoke their childrens adventuring privilages because D&D promotes smoking! ;D
Faraer Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 23:56:04
There is. Cigars are mentioned in, for instance, City of Splendors: Adventurer's Guide to the City p. 60, The City of Ravens Bluff p. 58, Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue p. 132, and Swords of Eveningstar as mentioned above (though I don't recall it).

No references to cigarettes or cigarillos that I've read.
Victor_ograygor Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 23:48:44
We were talking in my group about cigars and cigarettes, and I would really be happy if there was some FR official material about those existing in FR.
The Sage Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 23:20:30
And we usually see that the pipe is by far the most traditional, or actually... common, way of smoking in the Realms. This means that a significant range of plants are utilised or rather smoked, some which perhaps lead to different psychogenic and medicinal effects. We know, for example, that Elminster smokes phaelder and thalander rather than regular tobacco -- which is extensively available, and actually referred to more often as tobacco than pipeweed though there may actually be a Realms alternative term for it that has yet to be utilised in any novels or accessories.
The Sage Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 23:17:59
thom Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 22:07:33
quote:
Originally posted by MaxKaladin

As it happens, I was reading Swords of Eveningstar at lunch today and came across a reference to a character smoking a cigar (which is noted as being quite expensive even on his salary). I think these books are set in the 1340s -- certainly before the discovery of Maztica.

Well, that's good enough for me! So I'll just take my tobacco price list and extrapolate cigars (and snuff) from that!
MaxKaladin Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 21:53:11
As it happens, I was reading Swords of Eveningstar at lunch today and came across a reference to a character smoking a cigar (which is noted as being quite expensive even on his salary). I think these books are set in the 1340s -- certainly before the discovery of Maztica.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 21:51:41
Aurora and her business were mentioned in other products, specifically 2E ones dealing with Undermountain and Waterdeep. That's canon enough for me.
Faraer Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 21:30:34
Tobacco is mentioned in sources set before the 'discovery' of Maztica -- it's common and widespread, not a rare and expensive import. There may well be Maztican tobacco as well, maybe a different species or variety, but Aurora's (and Demihumans of the Realms) are in error when they suggest Maztica as tobacco's sole origin.

The quality of Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue is mixed -- no surprise given its several authors. Few outright errors, but it's not a reliable primary source.

Snuff definitely exists in the Realms. I don't know how hard is it to prepare.
thom Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 20:40:56
Hmmm...is Aurora's guide considered "good" canon? Because I remember Maztican "tabacco" and I thought Maztican cigars were in it as well.

Since we're on this subject, one of my players wants to become a snuff addict. I was thinking of taking the cost of tobacco and tripling it to come up with a fair cost for snuff. How does that sound to y'all?

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 18:44:04
*grins* I have a character who is a heavy smoker, and she uses all kinds of methods: pipes, waterpipes, cigars, and cigarettes. And she doesn't only smoke tobacco.

Also, I distinctly recall that on the new Waterdeep map in the City of Splendors sourcebook, there was a tobacconist shop, so I'd guess that smoking isn't all that uncommon (at least not in Waterdeep).
Faraer Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 18:19:53
Clay pipes are by far the most popular way to smoke, both tobacco and other psychoactive and medicinal herbs (such as the thalander and phaelder flower that Elminster smokes). Cigars are known, as are hookahs in places like Thay. Water pipes (bongs) may also be used -- they might not have seen print if so.

Tobacco is grown in Faerūn: it's not just a Maztican import as some have assumed. The word 'pipeweed', far less common in Realmslore than 'tobacco', seems to be a general term for weed smoked in pipes, though I suspect it hasn't been used consistently.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000