Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Smoking in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  17:50:49  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm sure this question has been asked and answered elsewhere, but do people smoke in the Realms?

What? How?

Is there a cigarette equivalent, or is everything done with pipes?

m

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  18:08:09  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Off the top of my head, Erevis Cale and Jak, from Paul S. Kemp's novels, smoke pipes, using "pipeweed".
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  18:11:05  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know of canon but My character Delzounblood smokes!

He smokes roll-ups with no filter! I took inspiration from Terry Pratchett's Disk World books where ALL wizards smoke rollies.

Somehow a Battlerager smoking a clay pipe just didn't fit!

I use imported tabacco from a little Gnome Merchant in my game.

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  18:19:53  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clay pipes are by far the most popular way to smoke, both tobacco and other psychoactive and medicinal herbs (such as the thalander and phaelder flower that Elminster smokes). Cigars are known, as are hookahs in places like Thay. Water pipes (bongs) may also be used -- they might not have seen print if so.

Tobacco is grown in Faerûn: it's not just a Maztican import as some have assumed. The word 'pipeweed', far less common in Realmslore than 'tobacco', seems to be a general term for weed smoked in pipes, though I suspect it hasn't been used consistently.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  18:44:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*grins* I have a character who is a heavy smoker, and she uses all kinds of methods: pipes, waterpipes, cigars, and cigarettes. And she doesn't only smoke tobacco.

Also, I distinctly recall that on the new Waterdeep map in the City of Splendors sourcebook, there was a tobacconist shop, so I'd guess that smoking isn't all that uncommon (at least not in Waterdeep).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 07 Mar 2007 18:46:18
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  20:40:56  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...is Aurora's guide considered "good" canon? Because I remember Maztican "tabacco" and I thought Maztican cigars were in it as well.

Since we're on this subject, one of my players wants to become a snuff addict. I was thinking of taking the cost of tobacco and tripling it to come up with a fair cost for snuff. How does that sound to y'all?

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  21:30:34  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tobacco is mentioned in sources set before the 'discovery' of Maztica -- it's common and widespread, not a rare and expensive import. There may well be Maztican tobacco as well, maybe a different species or variety, but Aurora's (and Demihumans of the Realms) are in error when they suggest Maztica as tobacco's sole origin.

The quality of Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue is mixed -- no surprise given its several authors. Few outright errors, but it's not a reliable primary source.

Snuff definitely exists in the Realms. I don't know how hard is it to prepare.

Edited by - Faraer on 07 Mar 2007 21:37:17
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  21:51:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aurora and her business were mentioned in other products, specifically 2E ones dealing with Undermountain and Waterdeep. That's canon enough for me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  21:53:11  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As it happens, I was reading Swords of Eveningstar at lunch today and came across a reference to a character smoking a cigar (which is noted as being quite expensive even on his salary). I think these books are set in the 1340s -- certainly before the discovery of Maztica.

Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  22:07:33  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MaxKaladin

As it happens, I was reading Swords of Eveningstar at lunch today and came across a reference to a character smoking a cigar (which is noted as being quite expensive even on his salary). I think these books are set in the 1340s -- certainly before the discovery of Maztica.

Well, that's good enough for me! So I'll just take my tobacco price list and extrapolate cigars (and snuff) from that!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  23:17:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Pipeweed' is also grown in Tethyr.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  23:20:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And we usually see that the pipe is by far the most traditional, or actually... common, way of smoking in the Realms. This means that a significant range of plants are utilised or rather smoked, some which perhaps lead to different psychogenic and medicinal effects. We know, for example, that Elminster smokes phaelder and thalander rather than regular tobacco -- which is extensively available, and actually referred to more often as tobacco than pipeweed though there may actually be a Realms alternative term for it that has yet to be utilised in any novels or accessories.

Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  23:48:44  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We were talking in my group about cigars and cigarettes, and I would really be happy if there was some FR official material about those existing in FR.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  23:56:04  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is. Cigars are mentioned in, for instance, City of Splendors: Adventurer's Guide to the City p. 60, The City of Ravens Bluff p. 58, Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue p. 132, and Swords of Eveningstar as mentioned above (though I don't recall it).

No references to cigarettes or cigarillos that I've read.
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  13:35:19  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rollies wouldn't be unreasonable but I wouldn't ever have prepackaged cigarettes with filter and all, although that begs the question, is the Realms able to produce a rolling paper?

If so then it's no real problem including rollies, if not then you might just have to stick with pipes and cigars (perhaps cigarillos but I'm unsure of what they are "wrapped" with *g*)

And it's unlikely that you'll see any new official FR material about it, otherwise concerned parents will revoke their childrens adventuring privilages because D&D promotes smoking! ;D
Go to Top of Page

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  18:15:15  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

and Swords of Eveningstar as mentioned above (though I don't recall it).
I'm not sure how to describe it further without the book in front of me and without spoilers, but it's in the last half of the book. The smoker in question is a Purple Dragon with one of those ranks I can never remember.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2007 :  03:50:14  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the FRCS mercantile section (the map showing the flow of goods) would indicate the lands where tobacco grows. I'll check and get back to you...
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2007 :  03:46:14  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met all,

One of Ed's replies inteh Chamber of Sages this year had a reply that had to do with cigars...can't seem to locate the post though =(
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2007 :  03:52:16  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Well met all,

One of Ed's replies inteh Chamber of Sages this year had a reply that had to do with cigars...can't seem to locate the post though =(

There's a April 20th reply of this year with a NPC that chews tobacco or unlit cigars.

If that isn't the post you mean, then I'm not sure. It's the only post for this year that has cigar in it....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2007 :  16:41:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I've heard of this guy called Elminster who has an enchanted pipe, so I'm pretty sure smoking happens :-)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Thumb
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  15:30:50  Show Profile  Visit Thumb's Homepage Send Thumb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Miscellaneous Items (Tobacco/Pipeweed of the Realms)

Here is a list of tobacco/pipeweed I found online a number of years ago. I looked online to find the web address but it seems to have disappeared long ago.

List nation of origin, it’s common name, and price in gold pieces.

Maztica
~Money~
50 gram pouch (80 gp)
Zahekarin (Dwarven variety)
~Axe~
50 gram pouch (1 gp)

West Fennet (Cormyr)
~Afterburn~
50 gram pouch (6 sp)

Neblin (Deep Gnome variety)
N/A
50 gram pouch (5 gp)

Selterian (Halruaa)
~Shards~
50 gram pouch (3 gp)

Bree (Liuren)
~Breeze~
50 gram pouch (100 gp)

Silfarindrin (Elvish variety)
~Evereskan~
50 gram pouch (10 gp)

Makepeace Pipe (Mastercraftworks) (30 gp) high quality item
Note: Pipe 13-15 inches in length made entirely of clay. Each pieces if fired in the magical kiln of the master potter llvn Makepeace of Corm Orp.

(*) similiar to the Churchwardens of Tolkien's Fellowship of the Rings novels

Thumb
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  18:20:22  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I was just about to mention that. There's a county in Tethyr run by a halfling noble and a large halfling population resides there. The Purple Hills I believe it's called. Their main commodity is vast farms of "pipeweed".
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  18:31:42  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Yeah, I've heard of this guy called Elminster who has an enchanted pipe, so I'm pretty sure smoking happens :-)

-Now I know why he hears voices in his head now.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  18:50:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand he traded his pipe in for a Bong in 4e.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  23:17:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

It's still magical, though.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  23:46:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I was just about to mention that. There's a county in Tethyr run by a halfling noble and a large halfling population resides there.
You mean County Vintar?
quote:
The Purple Hills I believe it's called. Their main commodity is vast farms of "pipeweed".
Don't forget the wine and cider as well.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  23:49:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

It's still magical, though.

So does that mean the Spellplague may simply be the Realms version of a "Magical Mystery Tour?"

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Nov 2008 23:51:37
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  03:34:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Ceaser's Ghost!

Now it all makes sense... 4e is really just El on a really bad trip.

I heard he even traded in his twisted tower for a giant mushroom and now just hangs out in the woods dispensing advice to little girls who eat and drink things they really shouldn't.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  16:31:09  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Great Ceaser's Ghost!

Now it all makes sense... 4e is really just El on a really bad trip.

I heard he even traded in his twisted tower for a giant mushroom and now just hangs out in the woods dispensing advice to little girls who eat and drink things they really shouldn't.

Now we just have to wonder when he'll go in for detoxification and rehab so we can all get back to normal?
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  19:39:13  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Hey I work at a great one so, here is the # (555)-123-4567.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 13 Nov 2008 19:39:40
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  08:46:51  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ah...the splendor of candlekeep, discussing the finer parts of the Forgotten Realms...lol next subject, is there crack cocaine and hookers in the realms?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000