Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The most "free" nation or city in FR

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aureus Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 00:24:25
in what nation are the usual people the freest from oppression and law (if less law is a good or a bad thing is not the point in this disscussion)?

Icewind-Dale comes to my mind although life can be very tough and dangerous as the adventures of a certain drow ranger should have prooved it

any other suggestions?
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 03 Dec 2007 : 17:45:20
Silver Marches
Ilztfryn Claddghym Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 23:20:44
Silverymoon on the broad range
IWD also
Mithril Hall for the Dwarves
Sian Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 21:39:38
its rather funny ... i vote on Halruaa since its largely selfpoliced ... (and at the same time i think that the Jordain is the 'least' free)
Korginard Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 18:36:31
Skullport really isn't general anarchy. You cannot do whatever you please for fear of being blasted into dust by floating skulls. "Act in a manner we approve or die" is actualy quite oppresive.
The comunity that is most "Free" is an unnamed, unknown comunity far off the beaten path, and several just like it. These places are away from major trade roads and away from the coast so merchant concerns don't drive anyone here. Most likely there is a local constable who is simply the farmer determined best able to deal with problems. As long as there are no problems, there's no law controling what you can and can't do. Live your life, let your neihbors live thiers, and please don't make that poor constable have to actualy do his job for a change, because that's downright anoying.
These kinds of places are my idea of "Free"
Kajehase Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 15:45:05
Based on the definition used in the starting post I'd say Featherdale (unless I'm confusing it with one of the other dales).
VonRaventheDaring Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 15:40:14
It depends on how your defining free, if free is general anarchy then Skullport. But if free is with some laws and more about freedom of the individual i would say waterdeep or Silverymoon.
Lemernis Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 15:24:09
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Of course, if a place is too "lawless", that often means the average person is more in danger of being oppressed by any number of local bullies.

How true!
WalkerNinja Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 13:25:43
Evermeet
boddynock Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 10:06:55
I would agree with Jorkens and also choose for the Dalelands.
Jorkens Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 08:41:11
I would have to say some of the settlements of the Dalelands myself. Silverymoon would be more about benign laws, as would some of the settlements of the Western Heartlands. Luiren and other hin settlements as well as the gnomish settlements would probably be very free for the inhabitants, but entrusting of outsiders.

You could also include the sylvan races as a whole, although it would be a bit far fetched to call their lands nations.
Ergdusch Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 08:26:02
Now, do we only talk about human cities and settlements? What about elves, dwarves, halflings ect. and their cities? Matter of fact, we know not much about most of those places. However, I would think that the evlen cities on Evermeet are pretty 'free' in that sense. As for the dwarves, Mithril Hall comes to mind. How about the halfling cities in Luiren - any thoughts?

So thinking inside the scope, as for the human cities, Silverymoon comes to mind easily.
Chosen of Bane Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 06:52:50
Narfell
Skeptic Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 03:42:21
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

I'd put Silverymoon down as being a very fair city.

Gah you got there just before me

I'm not sure "free" rythmes with a city magicaly warded agaisn't some evil races.
MerrikCale Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 02:45:58
The Great Dale has little governing going on
Mazrim_Taim Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 02:39:09
I'd put Silverymoon down as being a very fair city.

Gah you got there just before me
scererar Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 02:37:59
silverymoon and the silver marches
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 02:29:55
Of course, if a place is too "lawless", that often means the average person is more in danger of being oppressed by any number of local bullies.
Lemernis Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 00:40:25
Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast describes the Sword Coast as frontier wild lands where anyone capable of fighting off all the monsters can make whatever they wish of the land. There's no real central authority that I could see. There's no royalty. I don't think the city-state of Baldur's Gate (with its elected so-called "Grand Dukes") feels responsibility for any land beyond its most immediate environs, just outside the city walls.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000