Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Ed's CASTLEMOURN Discussion Scroll

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 24 Jan 2007 : 23:31:09
Now that Castlemourn appears to be ready for shipping, there's likely going to be some chatter between those of us who've been wanting to get our hands on another of Ed's master works.

As such, I thought it would be appropriate to assign a special place in these halls for discussions surrounding Castlemourn. Though the setting doesn't immediately relate to the Realms, both Big Al and myself felt that the D&D Products shelf is actually more likely place for such discussion.

All scribes interested in discussing the setting, should take note of this strict ruling:- ALL Castlemourn discussion should be confined to this one particular scroll. And to keep it up-to-date, I'll be making it a "sticky" for the time being.

Now, let's begin...

Mod Edit: *Casts Dissolve Sticky*
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Brimstone Posted - 05 Apr 2010 : 09:47:22
I would still like a map to Falconfar...

Strangly enough, yet again I have been browsing through this nugget of goodness yet again.
Jakk Posted - 27 Aug 2009 : 04:11:42
Update: Copied from Ed's answer to my query in his scroll, both to update this scroll and to inform those who might have missed this post in the pages and pages of Ed's 2009 scroll:

quote:
Words of Ed Greenwood, originally posted by The Hooded One:
Hi, Jakk. Regarding CASTLEMOURN, my honest answer is: right now, I don't know about its future. I have to chat with Jamie Chambers and Margaret Weis and see what their take on things is/are; I still have (eventual, future) plans for novels set in Castlemourn, with or without MWP involvement. I'd like to see Brian Gute and Jenn Brozek (plus three other writers who must remain secret for now, two because I haven't fully discussed this with them yet, and the other because of the uncertainty and his situation) get a chance to spread their wings and do Castlemourn fiction, probably a line of novels. However, I do want you to know that as far as I'm concerned, Castlemourn is NOT dead, and I retain rights to the setting.
And then there's Embersea . . .

Reason for optimism on several fronts, methinks...
Brimstone Posted - 19 Aug 2009 : 08:21:15
Strangely enough I have been reading up on it lately.
The Sage Posted - 19 Aug 2009 : 07:44:50
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Hrm... five months since Sage's post... the site is accessible now, but there's no sign of Castlemourn on it. If MWP has dropped the setting, maybe Paizo will pick it up? Has anyone else heard anything?
This is probably one for Ed, as he's likely to have access to more specific details re: MWP's status with CASTLEMOURN.
Jakk Posted - 19 Aug 2009 : 06:58:16
As for the relationship between the Fall and Karsus' Folly... that's something that will have to wait for its inhabitants' discovery, right?

The Castlemourn deities are as described, and are unknown to the rest of Toril. Since I'm importing the majority of the Greyhawk pantheon to Osse, having a third separate pantheon in my Realms isn't a big deal... fifth, if you count the Zakharan pantheon and the Celestial Bureaucracy...
Jakk Posted - 19 Aug 2009 : 06:40:18
Hrm... five months since Sage's post... the site is accessible now, but there's no sign of Castlemourn on it. If MWP has dropped the setting, maybe Paizo will pick it up? Has anyone else heard anything?

I picked up the hardcover and the Player's Guide from Noble Knight Games three months ago, and I'm integrating it into the Realms, with some changes to the backstory... the ruins are older (as Wooly and I agree they should be), and the Fall happened simultaneously with the collapse of Netheril (in the Year of Sundered Webs according to the Faerunian Roll of Years, or about 1700 years ago as of 1375 DR). As to where I placed Castlemourn in the Realms, have a look at the shape of the coastline on the Castlemourn map, then look at the northeast coastline of Anchorome. Scale may need to change on the Castlemourn map, but otherwise it fits beautifully.
The Sage Posted - 23 Mar 2009 : 01:05:37
I'm not sure what's going on with the site. I was able to access it late last week. But it was awfully slow and had multiple errors. Weis, on the dragonlance.com boards, did say they were intending on performing some system/server maintenance in the weeks to come though. So maybe that's it.
crazedventurers Posted - 23 Mar 2009 : 00:39:50
Is the MWP site down ? (or has the site closed?).

Just wondering what is happening with the Castlemourn licence? (is this the 'yet to be announced' anouncement that THO said was hopefully forthcoming?)

Just wondering

Damian
Markustay Posted - 10 Mar 2009 : 18:08:08
Well, make your wishes known now.

You never know whats going to happen.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Mar 2009 : 16:07:44
There were a lot of elements from the setting that I liked, but the Fall of the Castles was way too recent for my liking. In my opinion, it would have worked better having been a bit further back -- maybe a thousand years.
Quale Posted - 10 Mar 2009 : 14:08:39
my favorites from Castlemourn are the dwarves, cause of the philosophy, kinda Planescapey

and thaele, used them in Erlkazar
Markustay Posted - 10 Mar 2009 : 04:53:51
So THO....

Anything new you'd like to share?
MerrikCale Posted - 13 Jul 2008 : 03:47:51
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Hey Delta.

Yeah, when I have the time to give this book a really good look, I'll share my thoughts.

OK, you. Its been a couple of months now......
Cam Posted - 09 Jul 2008 : 16:38:34
We wanted to show off the Cortex System's flexibility for Free RPG Day 2008, so we took a great adventure by content author Clark Valentine, written for Ed Greenwood's Castlemourn setting, and adapted it to our favorite rules system. Download it right here to get an adventure, pre-generated characters, and all the rules you need to start playing. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Cam
Cam Posted - 24 Jun 2008 : 17:54:39
IceTroll:

I'm sorry you've been frustrated by all of this! Margaret forwarded me your e-mail, and you should be hearing from us soon. In the meantime, I do want to point out to folks that the Free RPG Day Castlemourn Cortex quickstart was kind of a bonus freebie extended to our Cortex and Castlemourn fans, not an indication that we have definite plans to go ahead with a Cortex version of the setting. We do have many irons in the fire over here at MWP with various licenses, but I can't go into anything at this stage.

We're very excited by Castlemourn and don't want to see it languish, so once there's more we can give you in the way of future plans, I'll be sure to stop in here and let you know.

Cheers,
Cam
IceTroll Posted - 18 Jun 2008 : 08:33:10
Well, I got my answer a lot sooner than I expected, although I think that had more to do with the legal ramifications, if anything.

Here's the answer I got from Mr. Greenwood over in the Chamber of Sages.

Ed replies:

Hmm. I’m not sure how best to answer this, other than to hint that Castlemourn isn’t “done with,” as far as Margaret Weis Productions is concerned (meaning: don’t be surprised if they’re busy with the same sort of work you’re contemplating, and might release it officially in time to come). Being as they’ve bought the exclusive right to do this, I’m left not being able to legally encourage you or look over what you’ve done. It’s out of my hands right now, and in the capable grasp of Jamie Chambers. Sorry.

I'm sorry, too. The last I had read on Castlemourn was that MWP was going to make it a setting for their Cortex System and were offering a free booklet for it on Free RPG Day. There hadn't been any suggestions that they were working on a 4th Edition version of Castlemourn anywhere, so I am surprised, actually. I even went so far as to send Margaret Weis herself an email on June 9th about it, of which I have yet to receive a reply.

I realize that one could say that MWP doesn't want the Castlemourn Campaign Setting out there with a competing ruleset, but if that's so, then why are they creating it for the Cortex System after they had created it for D&D 3.X

While it saddens me to abandon all the work I have put into this project before it's even got off the ground, and also makes me wonder about all the fan-related conversions that are being maintained on websites throughout the internet at this time, I'm not going to continue without Mr. Greenwood's blessing. I'll cease my work and hope that Jamie Chambers in fact does release a Castlemourn book for 4th Edition. However, given how long we had to wait for the Castlemourn Campaign Setting to come out the first time, and that the upcoming Cortex version which will come out prior to that is nowhere in sight, I won't hold my breath.

Until that day comes, it looks like I won't be able to run a Castlemourn game on D&D Insider now. Even though I purchased the book, if I'm not allowed to convert it, then it's useless to me over there. I wish I could trade it in for the 4th Edition version, as I already bought the book once.
IceTroll Posted - 15 Jun 2008 : 05:37:46
Alright, you talked me into it. I posted over there. Guess we'll see what happens now.

I got the Golaunt up. Working on the Thaele right now.

I'm trying to be careful to not put up too much from the book. I don't want to get sued. If anybody has a problem with it, I'll be happy to take it down. I just figured it might help people get into the setting.
Kuje Posted - 14 Jun 2008 : 17:29:14
Oh man, crashes suck. :( So sorry!

But still go ask him, he'll reply and just because he's answering stuff from Jan doesn't mean anything. He has dozens, and dozens, and dozens of replies to answer going back to 2006 or so. He skips around so the date doesn't really mean much. Next week he could answer a post that came yesterday. :)

quote:
Originally posted by IceTroll

Thanks. Unfortunately, my word processor crashed and I lost all of my work.

I'm so frustrated right now. I had finished the golaunt, the thaele, the gnome racial feats, and was almost done with the buccaneer.

Guess I better start over while it's still fresh in my head.

You better believe I'm going to back my stuff up this time.

Edit: Ack! He's right now answering questions from January. I guess I'll forget about asking him about it and just do the best job I can.

I decided to backup my stuff on Blogger, as I've given up trying to access my Gleemax and EN World accounts. I'll include it in my info in case anyone's interested. Heck, maybe Mr. Greenwood can check it out in a couple days and get back to me around Christmas.

IceTroll Posted - 14 Jun 2008 : 08:46:35
Thanks. Unfortunately, my word processor crashed and I lost all of my work.

I'm so frustrated right now. I had finished the golaunt, the thaele, the gnome racial feats, and was almost done with the buccaneer.

Guess I better start over while it's still fresh in my head.

You better believe I'm going to back my stuff up this time.

Edit: Ack! He's right now answering questions from January. I guess I'll forget about asking him about it and just do the best job I can.

I decided to backup my stuff on Blogger, as I've given up trying to access my Gleemax and EN World accounts. I'll include it in my info in case anyone's interested. Heck, maybe Mr. Greenwood can check it out in a couple days and get back to me around Christmas.
Kuje Posted - 14 Jun 2008 : 00:23:18
You could go ask him, through THO, in his thread over in the Chambers of Sages part of these boards, since that is where the game designers/authors have their own threads.

quote:
Originally posted by IceTroll

Hi. I'm new here, and I read that Ed Greenwood sometimes reads what's here.

I just wanted to say that I'm currently working on converting Castlemourn to 4th Edition. I'm also hoping to run a Castlemourn campaign on D&D Insider when it goes live.

I'd like to send some of my work to Mr. Greenwood for his advice, so if anyone knows a way I can do that, I'd appreciate it.

IceTroll Posted - 13 Jun 2008 : 02:58:07
Hi. I'm new here, and I read that Ed Greenwood sometimes reads what's here.

I just wanted to say that I'm currently working on converting Castlemourn to 4th Edition. I'm also hoping to run a Castlemourn campaign on D&D Insider when it goes live.

I'd like to send some of my work to Mr. Greenwood for his advice, so if anyone knows a way I can do that, I'd appreciate it.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 22 May 2008 : 15:33:43
Hey Delta.

Yeah, when I have the time to give this book a really good look, I'll share my thoughts.
Brimstone Posted - 22 May 2008 : 11:38:44
-I picked it up about a week ago. Haven't really looked at it, been busy. I did like the Humans in the Book. And that Skull guy was cool, but then again I like skull type villains.

BRIMSTONE
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 10 May 2008 : 21:47:43
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ahem. A little bird told me that Castlemourn is decidedly "not dead," but also said nothing more specific can be said for awhile. So . . .

Hang in there, Castlemourn fans!
love to all,
THO

I had the feeling it wasn't "dead" so much as put on the back-burner, but I'm happy to hear that news, regardless.
The Hooded One Posted - 09 May 2008 : 23:19:27
Ahem. A little bird told me that Castlemourn is decidedly "not dead," but also said nothing more specific can be said for awhile. So . . .

Hang in there, Castlemourn fans!
love to all,
THO
The Sage Posted - 09 May 2008 : 17:12:35
Good. I'm eager to re-start some active chatter about CASTLEMOURN again.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 09 May 2008 : 16:42:11
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Cool, when you receive it and read through the book, tell us what you think. :)

Will do!
Kuje Posted - 09 May 2008 : 16:36:39
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I recently purchased the Castlemourn sourcebook by pre-ordering it at one of my local bookstores. I can't wait to look through it.

Cool, when you receive it and read through the book, tell us what you think. :)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 09 May 2008 : 16:19:31
I recently purchased the Castlemourn sourcebook by pre-ordering it at one of my local bookstores. I can't wait to look through it.
imis999 Posted - 12 Jan 2008 : 05:45:50
Is Ed still allowed to develop Castlemourn? I ask because if 4th edition FR is basically a large scale Castlemourn, I'd rather just go with the original Castlemourn that Ed controls.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000