Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Ghostwalker: Prelude & Chapters 1 - 3

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 28 Nov 2005 : 22:56:13
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Ghostwalker, book 2 of the Fighters series, by Erik Scott de Bie. Please discuss the Prelude and chapters 1-3 herein:
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 11 Mar 2011 : 20:57:39
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I just realized, Ghostwalker is 5 years old!?
Wow...what a great read!
Five years old, and still in print.

Good day.

Cheers
The Red Walker Posted - 21 Jan 2011 : 19:36:35
I just realized, Ghostwalker is 5 years old!?

Wow...what a great read!
The Red Walker Posted - 25 Feb 2009 : 18:24:17
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

de Bie style of narrative, concerning the fights, are simply amazing.

Well said!

Thats one of the things I love about it, the cinematic fights.
Alisttair Posted - 25 Feb 2009 : 17:58:58
quote:

Well said!
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 25 Feb 2009 : 17:09:53
Alisttair Posted - 25 Feb 2009 : 14:32:06
So far this novel is excellent. I like how Drizzt gets a mention in the novel (while not being used), reinforcing the fact that it is a shared world. Lots of fighting, which keeps my attention when done well (ala Salvatore)...great work so far...I look forward to the rest of this novel, finding out just who Walker really is.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 19 Jun 2008 : 16:21:50
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

The words are a touch on the small side . . .
Try a thesauras

I mean the FONT silly.

And not the font of the narrative text, but the font of the listing of my name and the title on alternating pages.

Cheers
The Red Walker Posted - 19 Jun 2008 : 13:39:31
quote:

Ok, I give up--you're all my biggest fans! There's enough of me to go around. I'm tall. And I write a lot of words.

Point of interest: I think Ghostwalker is also among the *longest* Realms novels published in that particular format (the 320ish page mass-market trade paperback).
Compensating eh???
quote:
The words are a touch on the small side . . .
Try a thesauras
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 18 Jun 2008 : 18:07:09
Ok, I give up--you're all my biggest fans! There's enough of me to go around. I'm tall. And I write a lot of words.

Point of interest: I think Ghostwalker is also among the *longest* Realms novels published in that particular format (the 320ish page mass-market trade paperback). The words are a touch on the small side . . . which was because it was just a long story. I'm glad WotC allowed me to cram that much in--it was just what the story required.

Cheers
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 18 Jun 2008 : 17:29:19
quote:

Thanks! TRW, truly you are my biggest fan.

I could swear that this is because I´m a dwarf.

Well, Red Walker is right! Ghostwalker is the best Realms novel published. I´m going to the 4th re-read, and I´m still surprised by the pure quality of the book.
riot the outsider Posted - 18 Jun 2008 : 17:29:01
Yes,thats what I was trying to say thank you Erik and your welcome Erik,and from your post I'm guessing I was right in the way I'm taking this book. And so you did write it the way I discribe up above and the way you explain yes? even if thats not it Still great job I await your other novels to come realms or not.
The Red Walker Posted - 18 Jun 2008 : 16:31:45
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Do we have a problem #2???

No sir! I apologise for my momentary lapse. Please forgive me.
Hopefully you are coming to the Indy and I can "encourage" another lapse by buying you a pint!!
quote:

P.S. Lots of love, Sage--you're more like Twilight's biggest fan.
quote:
I can live with that.

and I hear that 'light is very appreciative of your affections Sage

P.S. To stay on topic....Read this book already!
The Sage Posted - 18 Jun 2008 : 16:21:53
quote:

No sir! I apologise for my momentary lapse. Please forgive me.
quote:

I can live with that.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 18 Jun 2008 : 15:52:38
So basically Riot, you're saying that the book was complex and the lessons woven delicately throughout and not blaringly obvious, nor did they distract at all from the raw plot?

Those sound like compliments to me. Thanks! Glad you enjoyed.

And I will say no, I don't think you're reading too much into it. The father figure is an extremely important character, even though he doesn't speak, to the theme and meaning in the novel.

Cheers

The Red Walker Posted - 18 Jun 2008 : 15:38:19
quote:

(And I'm not calling you fat, by the way. )
Thank you as I am very fit! But I have been called Phat!!

P.S. my local B&N are still moving copies of GW out the door, Huzzah!

The Red Walker Posted - 18 Jun 2008 : 15:36:04
quote:

quote:

Hmmph! Well, I guess I'll just go and stand over there then.

riot the outsider Posted - 18 Jun 2008 : 05:59:53
I final bought a copy and its really good. It should have been tweaked a little in the writting and structsure.But I'm betting that can be blamed on the editor.But still very enjoyable. Great job EriK keep writting.I love walker,everything from the leather armor,his eyes and his character and sword,and the weather he brings with him rain,ice,cold,dark clouds,heavy rain and thunder and lighting. But he has to learn the lessons that his fathers trying to tell him even though his father says nothing to him his fathers body language says alot but thats what the books kind of about I'm guessing that was your intention of the story (or moral/morals).I won't post any of my thoughts about what I mean, I think you will understand what I'm trying to say,I won't post them cause I don't want to spoil anything for anyone else.But read this book with care to get the real since of this book.Though the lessons and morals aren't really showin, they resanate and come out of the writting in a certent (its almost as if the lesson/s are of a very deep thinking spirital level)its like you are symbolizes by walker and his father is trying to teach you lessons about what you really should and shouldn't be doing such as what walkers doing taking revenge when really he shouldn't ect. Way that most probably won't understand or get,its hard to explain either you see and understand the hidden message/messages and morals within the writting, I got it,its showin the way words are used within the writting its self if anyone gets what I just said you'll undersatnd what I mean.ok I'm we all have some what of a movie type image in our minds playing out all the sence we are reading yes? well take the example of a movie with many lessons and morals and do to this story what you would to the movie to get the idea of what the movie was really trying to relate to you but only did it through images and word play ( example fight club the book as well )and than take a part this novel just like the movie and than you should get what I mean about this book. And get the full blow of this novel.I could just be reading in to it to much.
The Sage Posted - 18 Jun 2008 : 01:50:28
quote:

Hmmph! Well, I guess I'll just go and stand over there then.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 18 Jun 2008 : 01:35:14

(And I'm not calling you fat, by the way. )

Cheers

P.S. And I don't know if it was ever guessed (there was a thread about it), but the most disturbing scene I have ever written (at least to me) is the prelude of GW.
The Red Walker Posted - 17 Jun 2008 : 19:09:53
Gave this a quick re-read a bit back.

Just in case anyone, anywhere or in anytime has not read this novel.....

It is the best FR novel, especiallt if you like a little darkness with your merriment!!

Go on!!!

Read it!!!!

What are you wasting time reading this for?

read it already!
Arkhaedun Posted - 16 Aug 2007 : 23:58:47
Let's keep in mind that the book club threads are specifically for discussing the novels as we read them, shall we?

Thanks.
unknown warrior Posted - 16 Aug 2007 : 21:38:26
erik i know your favor character in final fantasy 7 its vincent right hes one of my favorites too, but i like cloud the best and tifa ect.i'm going to write all there names.its one of the greats games every made.i also like devil may cry alot too.again same ff7 one of the greats,but so is the whole series. anyway i was wondering if u could tell me what was said about drizzt my favorite realms character,and there will probably be others to i'm just starting to read them, and noi havn't read ghostwalker yet but i plan to with all the good things i've heard about it.
unknown warrior Posted - 16 Aug 2007 : 07:07:34
does anyone die it the book. details. thats awsome that drizzt is mention in the book his my favorite charactor in the realms novels.what is said about him.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 12 Sep 2006 : 16:02:02
quote:

Well, you give life to Quaervarr, and the way that you tie little tidbits of lore in the tale is very touching. The comments about Drizzt, Elminster, the sembians, the way that rule mechanics and realms lore stay well united is amazing.

Thank you! That's high praise.

quote:
quote:
It was hard to write, as well. I mean, it's basically a scene of domestic violence / child abuse, torturing a kid to death. Very grueling for me.

I see. I suffer with domestic violence when I was a child, so Rhyn suffering have a personal hook with me.

That's happened with a number of readers, and I think what you bring in your own mind to a book is just as important as what's down on the page. You, sir, relate to this scene in a way not everyone can.

quote:
Actually, my group was discover this in a not distant future. The sorcerer that help the group in his adventures (and is the girlfriend of the group wizard) is a Thrall of Grazzt!

Ha ha! Excellent.

I personally like the "assassin-in-the-party" trick. Where they're going all along on the quest, they brave the dungeon, fight the dragon, rescue the princess, and the traitor steps out from behind and caps her. The looks on their faces are just hilarious. Especially when it's one of the PCs, sometimes a PC who *thought* that's what they were supposed to do.

(On that note, it's fun to have some of the PCs think their mission has a particular goal, and the others to think it has an opposite goal. You might try it, in an adventure, at some point.)

quote:
And it´s good to read listening Rammstein, or Midnight Syndicate Project.

I've heard that. Have to check out those bands.

Cheers
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 12 Sep 2006 : 14:27:39
quote:

Welcome, sir! Put up your boots. Would you like an ale, or do you prefer mead?

Firewine, please.And toasted rothé, with spiced potatoes.

quote:
Much thanks! I very much appreciate the realmslore compliment as well. While I feel I did more research into the Realms than I did adding to them, I am very pleased if you think of my work as a touch more lore.

Well, you give life to Quaervarr, and the way that you tie little tidbits of lore in the tale is very touching. The comments about Drizzt, Elminster, the sembians, the way that rule mechanics and realms lore stay well united is amazing.

quote:
It was hard to write, as well. I mean, it's basically a scene of domestic violence / child abuse, torturing a kid to death. Very grueling for me.

I see. I suffer with domestic violence when I was a child, so Rhyn suffering have a personal hook with me.

quote:
I'm glad you thought so! Let me know if you find any later parts cinematographic as well.

Walker arriving in Quaervarr (pages 34-35). It remember me of Vampire Hunter D

quote:
Indeed -- because not every Neutral Evil PC gets the chop at the end of a long career.

Actually, my group was discover this in a not distant future. The sorcerer that help the group in his adventures (and is the girlfriend of the group wizard) is a Thrall of Grazzt!

quote:
The weather is important to the story, and will continue to be.

And it´s good to read listening Rammstein, or Midnight Syndicate Project.

quote:
Cool, cool. I'm interested to see what you think of Greyt by the end of the book.

He is growing as antagonist. It´s good to see more of the bad guys in a novel than only the "basic reasons for the heroes kick him out".

quote:
Of all the scenes in the book, this was the most heavily debated in the de Bie household -- as to the implication of sexual violence, which isn't really necessary to the plot. Well, that and one that I heavily edited later.

Cheers

Well, the implication isn´t necessary, but it´s good for me to know exactly how evil Meris and Greyt can be.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 11 Sep 2006 : 20:54:28
quote:

Well, after a long delay, finally that dwarven here put his feet in the Book Club.

Welcome, sir! Put up your boots. Would you like an ale, or do you prefer mead?

quote:
First of all, I´m enjoying much the book. A great piece of realmslore, one of the best, IMHO (and in my possession, of course).

Much thanks! I very much appreciate the realmslore compliment as well. While I feel I did more research into the Realms than I did adding to them, I am very pleased if you think of my work as a touch more lore.

quote:
The Prelude was a dificult one. The suffering of Rhyn touch me deeply, and the cruelty of Greyt and the others hit me like a punch in my face. Page 4, and Greyt have gained my anger. When the prelude finished, I sighed in relief. This is a good point to you, because you awake my feelings very easy.

quote:
Chapter 1 - Erik, you catch me with this begining. The passage with the courier (Chandra) was so vivid in my mind as any movie that I see. I find that part very cinematographic!

I'm glad you thought so! Let me know if you find any later parts cinematographic as well.

quote:
I liked of the Greyt moment in the "spotlight" - it´s diferent to see the bad guys retired, and well. Anyway, Greyt showed what a bard can achieve, with his abilities.

Indeed -- because not every Neutral Evil PC gets the chop at the end of a long career.

quote:
And the duel of Drex and Walker was simply amazing. If this is the tone of your battles, I think that I will be a very pleased dwarf in the end of the tome.

Hmm. Well, I shall definitely say that some of my battles are *longer,* at least. As for whether the tone stays constant, I'll let you read.

quote:
Chapter 2 - again, that damned weather of the Marches. I want to go back hooome! (speak of one of my players - a calishite monk ). Nice touch, to continue to display the weather (that mantains the mood of the tale).

The weather is important to the story, and will continue to be.

quote:
I liked of the mention of Drizzt in the dialogue between Greyt and Stonar.

Ha ha! I figured, "Hey, you're writing in the Realms, Erik, why not?"

quote:
Bars and Derst, with all that banter, remind me of the companions of Joana D´arc (in the movie by Luc Besson) And the comment about the sembians give a good laughter here. The incident with Morgan was well made, too. Nothing better to use with a problematic drunken that the old "sleep spell", as my barbarian could say

quote:
At this point of the book, I continue to want to see Greyt pay for the suffering of Rhyn, but now, the Lord Singer have growed more: he is not only the antagonist, he is a very well developed character. I´m starting to , how can I say, "like" of the bard.

Cool, cool. I'm interested to see what you think of Greyt by the end of the book.

quote:
But Meris is despicable! Send him to the dwarves, and we will teach him something about good behaviour.

Sure, you say that NOW.

Ha! Indeed. Maybe I'll give him to the ghosts, instead.

quote:
Poor Tillee.

Indeed. Of all the scenes in the book, this was the most heavily debated in the de Bie household -- as to the implication of sexual violence, which isn't really necessary to the plot. Well, that and one that I heavily edited later.

Cheers
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 11 Sep 2006 : 20:15:28
Well, after a long delay, finally that dwarven here put his feet in the Book Club.

First of all, I´m enjoying much the book. A great piece of realmslore, one of the best, IMHO (and in my possession, of course). But, let´s talk about the book.

The Prelude was a dificult one. The suffering of Rhyn touch me deeply, and the cruelty of Greyt and the others hit me like a punch in my face. Page 4, and Greyt have gained my anger. When the prelude finished, I sighed in relief. This is a good point to you, because you awake my feelings very easy.

Chapter 1 - Erik, you catch me with this begining. The passage with the courier (Chandra) was so vivid in my mind as any movie that I see. I find that part very cinematographic! I liked of the Greyt moment in the "spotlight" - it´s diferent to see the bad guys retired, and well. Anyway, Greyt showed what a bard can achieve, with his abilities. The history of Quaervarr and the region that was shared in Greyt´s songs was interesting, and the weather in the Marches, as always, appears as a protagonist in the North (my players could say something about this, too ).

Walker have a clever idea to invade Drex home. Risk, but clever. And the duel of Drex and Walker was simply amazing. If this is the tone of your battles, I think that I will be a very pleased dwarf in the end of the tome.

Chapter 2 - again, that damned weather of the Marches. I want to go back hooome! (speak of one of my players - a calishite monk ). Nice touch, to continue to display the weather (that mantains the mood of the tale). I liked of the mention of Drizzt in the dialogue between Greyt and Stonar.

Bars and Derst, with all that banter, remind me of the companions of Joana D´arc (in the movie by Luc Besson) And the comment about the sembians give a good laughter here. The incident with Morgan was well made, too. Nothing better to use with a problematic drunken that the old "sleep spell", as my barbarian could say

Chapter 3 - The opening of the chapter, the description of Walker arriving match the description of the prestige class in the Sword and Fist supplement. Nice touch! And we have something more of Greyt and Meris. At this point of the book, I continue to want to see Greyt pay for the suffering of Rhyn, but now, the Lord Singer have growed more: he is not only the antagonist, he is a very well developed character. I´m starting to , how can I say, "like" of the bard.

But Meris is despicable! Send him to the dwarves, and we will teach him something about good behaviour.
Poor Tillee.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 28 Aug 2006 : 22:18:24
quote:

1) Had just watched Desperado (for the fifth time);

Only 5th time? I've seen that movie dozens of time so far...same goes with lethal weapon...no wonder my characters are either wise-cracking tough guys, or manic violence ridden psychos...
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 28 Aug 2006 : 21:37:17
quote:

I was curious as to what inspired Walker's "creation" and what drove the tone of the prologue. Or is this just a way that is comfortable to you?

Walker is based, more or less, on a character "type" I used to play in D&D (heck, still do, really): the dark, mysterious, shadowy warrior (TM). There are a number of sources that inform Walker's creation, but I think it might be informative to note what I was up to in and around the the time I dreamed him up (which was 2003 or so):

1) Had just watched Desperado (for the fifth time);
2) Had just finished Final Fantasy 7 (also, for the fifth time -- I'll bet you can guess who my favorite character is);
3) Was in the midst of Devil May Cry (the first one, obviously);
4) Kill Bill;
5) Lots and lots of A Perfect Circle's Mer de Noms album (Thirteenth Step, which is so intricately tied in with the writing, would appear in September);
6) Was sweating over the prospect of the Matrix Reloaded;
7) Three things: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

So, there ye go.

As for the prologue, I just wanted something dark and intense to set the mood. You'll notice GW lightens a bit and slows down, so you can catch your breath, but it speeds back up in short order.

Cheers
The Red Walker Posted - 28 Aug 2006 : 20:56:10
I was curious as to what inspired Walker's "creation" and what drove the tone of the prologue. Or is this just a way that is comfortable to you?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000