Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Ghostwalker: Prelude & Chapters 1 - 3
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  22:56:13  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Ghostwalker, book 2 of the Fighters series, by Erik Scott de Bie. Please discuss the Prelude and chapters 1-3 herein:

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  15:53:36  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it looks like I will be kicking this one off. I hope that there will be more of you out there joining in on this discussion.

The prologue was very obscure. You didn't know how the boy got to be in the situation he was in with his attackers, and what he had done to deserve his fate. It added a nice layer of mystery about the book from the very start.

The opening chapters were almost as vague, but again not in a bad way. I enjoyed the introduction of Greyt, and I have recently have a newfound appreciation of bards. I loved the part where he was distracted in his tale...and had to make a quick exit.

When Walker comes around in the alleyway it mentions that he has a similar silver ring on his hand, keeping him from death. I take it this cannot be the same ring which was mentioned in the prologue, as I thought that was taken from him.

These are the things I am hoping are revealed as the story goes on.

Nice description of Walker slipping into the ethereal too. Initially I imagined it to be like some kind of maelstrom-like existence, not unlike when Frodo slips on the ring in Lord of the Rings.

His confrontation with Drex was amazing, and had me turning those pages. And the last line in that chapter just made me shiver - as he dissapeard at the strike of lightning!

As a big fan of Ravenloft, this is a book that I think matches that tone, and would work perfectly in that setting. Nevertheless, it is great right where it is!

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  16:56:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you're liking it so far.

quote:
Originally posted by Malarick

When Walker comes around in the alleyway it mentions that he has a similar silver ring on his hand, keeping him from death. I take it this cannot be the same ring which was mentioned in the prologue, as I thought that was taken from him.

Hmm. I think there's one line in the prologue that explains a possible connection. . . Very subtle. :)

Then again, who says the boy in the prologue was even Walker?

quote:
Nice description of Walker slipping into the ethereal too. Initially I imagined it to be like some kind of maelstrom-like existence, not unlike when Frodo slips on the ring in Lord of the Rings.

Ooh! I'm glad you liked that bit. Trust me -- 'twill happen more.

quote:
His confrontation with Drex was amazing, and had me turning those pages. And the last line in that chapter just made me shiver - as he dissapeard at the strike of lightning!

And that was such a QUICK fight, too. Look for extended duels in future chapters.

quote:
As a big fan of Ravenloft, this is a book that I think matches that tone, and would work perfectly in that setting. Nevertheless, it is great right where it is!

Oh, that's a great compliment. I'm quite the Domains of Dread fan myself. Cheers!

db

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  17:45:03  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought that the introduction of the Knights in Silver was excellent. One of the things that stands out for me is the way you write the dialogue for different characters.

The knights for example had a bit of spit and polish about them, that put them above the usual commoner. The way the dialogue trips off their tongues in an Olde English manner. It is cool to see an american writing thinking this way!

The same applies to Dharan, but no so much to his son and his rabble of merry men!

The scene with at the end of chapter 3 was a bit of a shocker too. You really start to see how ruthless this Greyt family can be. I really felt sorry for the half-elf maiden, who had really just fallen in with the wrong man, at the wrong time!

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2005 :  07:01:16  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

And that was such a QUICK fight, too. Look for extended duels in future chapters.

I notice that throughout the novel there are many fight scenes, and you seem to relish these moments.

I know from other conversations in the past you are a big fan of R.A.Salvatore, and I wonder if this is some kind of homage to his battles?

I know some people who are put off reading fights in novels, but I think there is enough variety here for the reader to never get bored. Each one is calculated and different and against a different set of foes.

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2005 :  23:05:51  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I learned to write fight scenes by reading books by RAS and Gemmell, so it's safe to say there's a little bit of homage to them. My feeling is, if you don't like action, fantasy is probably NOT the genre to be getting into.

That said, I don't write action for action's sake -- it happens when it's logical, and my premise (a dark, gritty revenge tale where the protagonist has to fight his way through several foes in one-on-one duels) happens to make action logical fairly often. ;)

There's a pair of lines that is a more direct homage to RAS in, I think, chapter two. Did you catch them? :)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2005 :  23:27:38  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There's a pair of lines that is a more direct homage to RAS in, I think, chapter two. Did you catch them? :)

Not really, as I am not such a RAS fan. I have read all the Drizzt books to date, but I cannot recall little details.

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  05:10:04  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, I finished this particular section of the book. I have to say Erik, this is a pretty smoothly written piece of work so far. I have a few questions about some continuity issues, but I'll hold off until later because at this stage in the game its entirely possible that all my questions will be answered with a little patience.

I have noticed that I am a sucker for the brutes that most people take for granted, so I must say right off the bat that I am a Bars fan. Not to mention the two maces thing is about as far away from traditional two weapon fighting cliche as you can get. The banter between Bars and Derst reminds me of Torm and Rathan from the Knights of Myth Drannor.

There is a lot up in the air right now, but I have to say its all compelling. Abou the only character that I haven't really felt any curiosity about is Bilgren. So much for my gravitation toward big lummoxes . . .

I liked the reference to the Drizzt ballad that Greyt wrote. It reminds me of a discussion my friend and I had over just how famous and well known Drizzt would actually be and in what regions.

And to think, the other day I was just thinking that I wished more FR books took place in the Silver Marches.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  07:44:43  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the ballad was what I was referring to as the homage to RAS. I thought that would be a totally reasonable thing for the character.

Glad you guys like Bars (and, to a lesser extent, Derst). On the gaming side, his style comes, sort of, from Complete Warrior -- it's the Lightning Mace style.

They kind of appeared in my head, not really being based on anyone in particular. Parallels can definitely be drawn with Torm and Rathan, and Silk and ... um, name escapes me at the moment, from Eddings.

If you ever have any questions, go ahead and ask. I'm itching. ;)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

CreepyBastard
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  20:57:38  Show Profile  Visit CreepyBastard's Homepage Send CreepyBastard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric

I picked up Ghostwalker the day it hit the store. I just found time to get into it.

I will post my comments in a few days.

Looking forward to reading Wayfarer...
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  22:21:00  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CreepyBastard

I will post my comments in a few days.

Hey Creepy, good to see you here and I look forward to your posts and discussion!

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  23:11:41  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i'm back and with Ghostwalker in hand

First impressions.....fantastic!! Very well written and packed with atmosphere and flavor. I agree with Malarick, whereby it does have a dark Ravenloft style to the writing and the setting, whilst still containing many Realms aspects and elements. Quaervaar is a great location and it's nice to read a novel set in the Silver Marches.

Erik, did you take your information soley from the Silver Marches book or do you have other sources? Is there a map of Quaervaar anywhere? I'd love to see the place mapped out I love the feeling you've given it... it really has that small self-important feel and a haven for adventurers, rangers and people of the wilderness. A good rustic feel. I was convinced I was say drinking in the Whistling Stag whilst reading the book

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  23:17:19  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So on with my thoughts...

Great start with the prologue. It reminded me a little of the start of The Shadow Stone, but on a much darker and more brutal level. I was shocked by this scene, I never expected the "bullies" to go that far, it made me whince. And with the ring to keep him alive...Ooooh nasty! The last sentance sent a shiver up my spine too.

Into chapter one and the scene with the woman traveler (Chandra?) is also very eerie and continues the very dark edge to the book. I also liked how she felt the "cold finger down her cheek", just as in the prologue.

One nice touch I noticed in this chapter, is how many of the sections within the chapter ended with describing the rain and bad weather. A unique idea of wrapping up the section and giving the grim scene a little extra atmosphere

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  23:29:52  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very clever how Walker enticed the guards and got run through to be dumped in the alley. A bit risky though with the ring to ensure he survived.

Whoah, spine-tingle again when Drex said "you're going to die now, boy", being what he said to Watcher all those years ago from the prologue.

Great dialog with Stonar and Greyt. I got a lot of flavor from this and really enjoyed the whole scene. It's things like this that really bring the Forgotten Realms to life for me.

As KnightErrantJR said, I quite liked the mention of Drizzt. It goes to show that his name is famous around those parts, and even viewed as a mere legend by some.

Also here was a nice few passages of the history and background of Quaervaar, which gave yet more flavor into the pot

I chuckled at the discussion with Grayt when he (or Stonar) mentioned people within the village: Malarites, Zhents... "or worse, even Sembians" Seems like Sembian reputation stretches into the far reaches of the Silver Marches too

The introduction of Bars and Derst was great. It felt quite cinematic to focus initally on Arya and then kind of pan back to the two knights behind. I've really got to like these two as well, they add a little humor to a dark book. Arya revealing herself from beneath the helm was a nice surprise too.

Love the Whistling Stag... my kind of tavern Not sure about Morgan though....he had a distinct Scottish accent from how I read it. Nice scene anyway. I had to chuckle again when Derst went on about Bars' weight.

Well things were going well with Grayt and Meris during the discussions with Tillee (I think that was the maids name), and I thought they were quite nice guys afterall. I was shocked when Meris killed her before she screamed. Excellent!

Lord Rad

Edited by - Malarick on 07 Dec 2005 18:21:56
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  23:45:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lord Rad -- thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you're enjoying it thus far.

Creepy, I'm glad you could make it! I look forward to hearing what you think. . . and hoping I can still walk, after. ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Erik, did you take your information soley from the Silver Marches book or do you have other sources?

My info on Quaervarr and its populace comes from the FRCS and Silver Marches. I tried to make this as fully researched as I could. There are many characters that are statted in the books, but also many new ones.

quote:
Is there a map of Quaervaar anywhere? I'd love to see the place mapped out

Funny story -- there was GOING to be one in the book, but it fell through late in the game.

Ok, that wasn't really that funny. ;)

Actually, it's probably a good thing there was no preexisting map (at least that I could find) since it gave me wiggle room to create Greyt's manor, the old and newer halves, the Dark Woods to the west, etc. Basically, Quaervarr was hardly statted at all -- you just have a bit in the SM book and a paragraph in the FRCS.

'Tis a great deal heartier (fleshed out) now.

quote:
I love the feeling you've given it... it really has that small self-important feel and a haven for adventurers, rangers and people of the wilderness. A good rustic feel. I was convinced I was say drinking in the Whistling Stag whilst reading the book

Many thanks. I wrote some of the scenes while drinking in pubs in London and Wales, you know. ;)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  23:50:16  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Funny story -- there was GOING to be one in the book, but it fell through late in the game.

Ok, that wasn't really that funny. ;)

Actually, it's probably a good thing there was no preexisting map (at least that I could find) since it gave me wiggle room to create Greyt's manor, the old and newer halves, the Dark Woods to the west, etc. Basically, Quaervarr was hardly statted at all -- you just have a bit in the SM book and a paragraph in the FRCS.

'Tis a great deal heartier (fleshed out) now.

Well that's a shame. I love maps Are you able to say why the map for the novel fell through?

I guess not having an official map and being permitted to create the village for your own means is quite a good feeling you sort of get to claim it as your own.

Now there's a thought... any chance you could sketch us a quick map? I'm sure Alaundo would display it up in Candlekeep for you

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  23:52:41  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

The banter between Bars and Derst reminds me of Torm and Rathan from the Knights of Myth Drannor.

Uncanny. I'm just reading through posts in more detail from others about this book after posting my own comments, and mentioned Bars reminding me of Torm I couldn't remember the name of his partner in crime, so thanks KnightErrantJR.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  00:14:24  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Well that's a shame. I love maps Are you able to say why the map for the novel fell through?

Nope. But only because I don't know. My editor didn't really say. ;)

quote:
Now there's a thought... any chance you could sketch us a quick map? I'm sure Alaundo would display it up in Candlekeep for you

Oh goddess -- me? Art? Surely you jest. :)

But -- hypothetically -- if someone (yourself, for instance) were to draw up a map, I could look over it and give it the unofficial thumbs up or thumbs down. :)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  15:33:51  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Art? Rad? Surely YOU jest

I would like to see a map of the town though!

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2005 :  22:13:51  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But -- hypothetically -- if someone (yourself, for instance) were to draw up a map, I could look over it and give it the unofficial thumbs up or thumbs down. :)

Well i simple sketch would do. I didn't expect a high-quality map done with CC2 or Dundjinni or whatever I just wondered how big the place was and where the buildings and features were in relation to one another.

But then again, I am overly obsessed with having locations mapped out

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

CreepyBastard
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  14:24:41  Show Profile  Visit CreepyBastard's Homepage Send CreepyBastard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have much to add yet... still trying to find time to get into it. Since this is the only book I have on the go, I am hoping to get into it very soon.

A few comments:

Derst and Bars... I can see the potential for some serious damage. What confused me (and mind you, I am only at the part where Arya walks upstairs to take a bath...) is the reason why two capable knights would 'bully' a single drunk. Two on one?

I am assuming there is more to these 'knights' as the book unfolds.

I do like the idea of the retired adventurers being not-so-nice.

The writing style is excellent.

Question for you:

When you did your research on ghosts for this book... how indepth did you go?

I hope to have more to add after the weekend.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  16:22:29  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CreepyBastard

Derst and Bars... I can see the potential for some serious damage. What confused me (and mind you, I am only at the part where Arya walks upstairs to take a bath...) is the reason why two capable knights would 'bully' a single drunk. Two on one?

They are defending Arya, is the idea. Remember, at first it was only Derst shutting Morgan up in his somewhat extreme way ("pardon, 'tmust have slipped my hand"). Then Morgan insulted both and drew. Basically, the knights were just defending themselves, and managing to teach Morgan a little bit of a lesson -- they didn't seriously injure him, just knocked him out.

quote:
I am assuming there is more to these 'knights' as the book unfolds.

Oh yes. Bars is actually the most "knightly" of the bunch. Derst definitely the least.

quote:
I do like the idea of the retired adventurers being not-so-nice.

Hey -- not all N/NE adventurers get killed, you know?

quote:
The writing style is excellent.

Why thank you.

quote:
When you did your research on ghosts for this book... how indepth did you go?

Hardly any, honestly. It was all personal knowledge accumulated from years of reading and watching horror-type movies, plus a few books I read on how it works in the game (MM, DMG for incorporeality notes as well, Ravenloft's Van Richten's Guide to Ghosts). I might have read the Ghostwalk product, but I didn't realize it existed until after I had written the book.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  00:45:42  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Erik!

I'm about one third of the way into the book, and I am very much enjoying it so far. Like many of the others here, it's nice to read about a story set in the Silver Marches, which surprisingly has not be featured in that many novels. The idea of retired, settled-down adventurers who are actually the bad guys is also refreshing; usually the town guard, town bard, etc. are the people who try to help the heroes, not work against them. ;)

I do very much like Greyt. I love bards in general (I like good ones better though ), and whatever one thinks of this miscreant, one has to admit that he is interesting. So far, the scenes featuring him are my favorites. An "honorable mention" would be that gold elf ghost (forgot how to spell the name), because I like both gold elves and the character concept.

Finally, I was happy that the knights did not seriously hurt that drunken man, and that both Arya and the barkeeper were concerned about her. I have read plenty of stories where supposedly "noble heroes" not only engage in decidedly unheroic behaviour, but do so without consequences. I'm happy you didn't fall into that trap.

--RF

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  17:42:44  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RF,

I'm glad you're liking it! I hope you continue to do so. ;)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2005 :  17:32:48  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like Ghostwalker so far. The flow is easy, the characters are vivid, and the action is realistic. From the beginning the mood is dark, and as was mentioned, so is the weather. I know I really have to pay attention to certain things you mention, Erik. I know you like to leave subtle clues that come back later in the story. Please, let us know more as we get closer to the end of the month so we can go back and look for more of them. Right now I am going to go reread the intro to see what the deal is with the ring, and read the mention of Drizzt.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  18:09:21  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Well - just yesterday - I managed to get through the end of chapter 3.

I plan on coming here to each section - as I finish the associated chapters - so that nothing gets spoiled - and that its fresher in my mind.

Also - I'd like to point out - that I am a manager - in a retail store - so right now - my reading time is a LOT less than normal - so I'm progressing a bit slowly. I think it took 10-14 days to get through this much so far.

I am not one to have been involved with much to do with Ravenloft - and am not familiar with it. However - if some of the writing of those novels is similiar - I may end up checking them out. I am pretty pleased with the books so far.

When you first introduced the Knights, approaching the town on horseback - I found their dialoge interesting - but I had a small level of difficulty keeping track of who was saying what - since (as I recall) you interspersed the use of first and last names when referring to them. Of course - it could be just that I'm crazy-busy at work these days too.

I recall also re-reading a couple of places - not for not understanding - but for making sure I read things correctly. Mainly in a couple of places where we begin to find out how nice Greyt really is.

I am intrigued at the appearance of Walker - and interesting character - and was already wondering if it was the leader that Greyt was arguing with in the prologue. Seems like maybe even the ring was returned to him - to lay next to his eye.... who knows for sure though! I was thinking maybe it was some agent Greyt was working with/for who decided he 'wanted' the boy for some reason. Maybe Walker is that agent - taking revenge on the gang for denying him the boy for killing him.... speculation, pure speculation.

All-in-all - I am quite happy so far. Unfortunately - I can't let it become a "Stay up another hour to finish the next chapter" kind of read - as I need my sleep so desperately this time of year! It will be over soon! (*Retail season of Insanity, that is.*)

I must also say - this will be a totally new experience for me. Normally - I dont even have anyone to talk to about the books that I know - while a lot of my friends are avid readers - not many of them read a lot of the FR books (*Which might change if they like the game I am planning!*). ALso - above being able to discuss the book with friends - which in my familiarity - mainly occurs after both parties have finished the book - breaking it down further will force/cause (*not a bad thing*) me to look a little deeper at what was written - and remember more. I doubt many people would remember the brief mention Of Drizzt by the end of the book (*unless - of course - it keeps happening*) from this early in the book - but it IS a worthwhile point - because it starts to play a role of Lore - as we begin to get a firm idea of how known he is - at least in this area - and I think I've read similar things in other books/stories too.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  18:41:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Dhomal!

Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to coorespond with us. You are quite welcome.

I would say that Ghostwalker is definitely a Realms novel, but it has a number of Ravenloft elements. It shares a similar darkness and has that same sort of thriller-mystery aspect. I'd definitely recommend Ravenloft if you like Ghostwalker. Let me know, and I'll recommend a couple novels (or so will Malarick).

Yes, who is Walker? Why is he doing all this? Hmm. . .

I'm glad you're a little uncertain of Greyt's dialogue. He really does talk all nice, but there's an undercurrent of contempt in everything he says.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  03:08:06  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't believe I have not started this book before now! I remember buying it when it came out, bringing it home and putting it in the shelf...then we got a unexpected offer on our house, found a new one packed up and...I guess it was lost in the move I have seen Ghostwalker discussed in various scrolls in my time here and I just assumed I had read it!

So lucky for Erik I ran out and bought a second copy today and started it!(anything to help that royalty check grow)

I am finding this to be a very engrossing and satisfying read. So different in tone than any other Realms book I have read.

The only equivalent I can find would be to say that it gives me the same feel as I got when I was 9 years old(24 yrs ago) and started reading Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's - The Hound of the Baskervilles. A very palpable, chilling to the bone feeling that ........reaches out and....GRABS YOU!! (not sure Hound was that scary, but hey I was 9)

I love the little details, maybe because I miss so many the first time, and the line "Something small and metal, like a tear, fell against his left cheek and rested next to his eye." Very nice work I must say. I thought at the end of that "OH My God, they are going to heal him just to do it all over again" Sent a shiver to my core.

On a happy note, I laughed out loud at the banter between Bars and Derst. I felt that you were "channeling" Tolkien at his best when I put the names Derst Goldtook and Bars Hartwine together with their humor. I thought hmmm...Goldtook, Took....ok, hartwine...aha Hart as in stag or buck, and wine as in brandy. That was quite a clever homage on your part.

Can't wait to read more!

Pip pip old chap!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  15:38:59  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, you're the first reader to point out the "Took" and "Wine" parallel. Well caught!

To be mentioned in the same post as Sir Canon Doyle is quite an honor.

I hope you enjoy! If you have any questions / want clarification on anything, you've but to ask.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 28 Aug 2006 15:39:36
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  18:46:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know, you're the first reader to point out the "Took" and "Wine" parallel. Well caught!

I was curious if when you "doff your cap" at other Authors/Works within your writing, is this always intentional or does it just happen? i.e. was this parallel intentional?
quote:

To be mentioned in the same post as Sir Canon Doyle is quite an honor.

Nothing like a little pressure(But, I will say I believe all here at Candlekeep have high hopes for you, what with all the potential you have already shown)
quote:

I hope you enjoy! If you have any questions / want clarification on anything, you've but to ask.

Cheers

Thank you for being so open and accomidating to your fans.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  20:10:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I was curious if when you "doff your cap" at other Authors/Works within your writing, is this always intentional or does it just happen? i.e. was this parallel intentional?

A'times, 'tis intentional, a'times serendipitous, a'times subconscious.

For my part, I just pretend it's always intentional, so as to seem unfathomably clever.

quote:
Nothing like a little pressure(But, I will say I believe all here at Candlekeep have high hopes for you, what with all the potential you have already shown)

Thank you most highly for that praise! It's been great interacting with the folks here, and I love entertaining.

quote:
Thank you for being so open and accomidating to your fans.

Absolutely! I love feedback, opinions, and plumbing my work. I especially like these "Director's Commentary" forums, where I can talk all about the histories/personalities of characters I didn't otherwise get a chance to develop.

Also over email: I've interacted a great deal with one reader about the psychological histories of various characters and answered a few questions about the plot I had answered but didn't answer overtly in the book itself. (Indirectly, obviously, but not always directly.) My philosophy is that if people want to better understand something, that's my obligation.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000