Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Realms of the Elves: "The Greater Treasure"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 30 Jan 2006 : 14:02:02
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for the short story entitled "The Greater Treasure", by Erik Scott de Bie, from the Realms of the Elves anthology.

Please discuss herein.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 24 Mar 2008 : 13:44:56
As would I.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Mar 2008 : 01:02:41
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I guess we'll have to see, Lady K! :)

I wonder if a writeup of my Ghostwalker characters would be fun . . . hmm . . .

Cheers

I'd like to see that.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 24 Mar 2008 : 00:56:00
I guess we'll have to see, Lady K! :)

I wonder if a writeup of my Ghostwalker characters would be fun . . . hmm . . .

Cheers
Lady Kazandra Posted - 22 Mar 2008 : 05:01:44
quote:

And here we are:

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/lore.htm

Down at the bottom of the page, you'll find a writeup of Yldar and Cythara, updated to 1375.

You'll notice Yldar varies quite a bit from how I've described him. This is because, well, this build fits him better and is just, well, all around better. :D

Cheers

I'm impressed. This is good work. Thanks to Tom and Erik.

Now, what else can we expect from you both?
The Sage Posted - 20 Mar 2008 : 05:17:44
Great work guys! I especially love all the little tidbits about Graz'zt and the Cult. I'll definitely be looking out for any opportunities to use this material in my campaigns.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 20 Mar 2008 : 03:42:24
You guys are very welcome, indeed.

Thanks also to Tom, without whose mechanical wiles this project would not have been possible.

Cheers
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 20 Mar 2008 : 00:10:51
I loved reading the backstory for the Nathalan siblings. Thanks for sharing!
Ergdusch Posted - 19 Mar 2008 : 17:30:41
Now if this ain't an easter egg if ever there was one, turely! And in a positive sense that is, of course!

Thanks for sharing this lore with us, Erik!
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 19 Mar 2008 : 14:03:36
And here we are:

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/lore.htm

Down at the bottom of the page, you'll find a writeup of Yldar and Cythara, updated to 1375.

You'll notice Yldar varies quite a bit from how I've described him. This is because, well, this build fits him better and is just, well, all around better. :D

Cheers
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 10 Mar 2008 : 00:34:02
quote:

For all who are interested in this story--in particular how its elements relate to potential adventures--keep your eyes peeled!

More soon.

Cheers

Consider me intrigued.
The Sage Posted - 09 Mar 2008 : 23:43:15
Oooh! A gift? And I didn't bring you anything.

You've piqued my interest Erik. Consider me already hooked.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 09 Mar 2008 : 22:09:15
For all who are interested in this story--in particular how its elements relate to potential adventures--keep your eyes peeled!

More soon.

Cheers
riot the outsider Posted - 03 Jan 2008 : 19:33:42
Well that just my idea but I'm sure you'll pull it off Eric.I just thought Ylder would make a good anti-hero/demon and undead/wizard/acult hunter so to speak. From your other books I'm told you keep it well not so dark, as dim in your stories so I thought my idea would interst you. I have more to the story but I won't ramble. Looking forward to your next book and your other not Realms stuff too.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 03 Jan 2008 : 15:21:13
quote:
Originally posted by riot the outsider

I always liked the idea of Ylder roming the dark halls of towers and dungeons trying to find his sister and trying as he will to get his sister back from the demon that she joined. she blows him off shattering his innocence of her. Than being lost figures out that he doesn't need her and than becomes (because of his fighter and rogueness)becomes a hero of sorts and kills his sister.Well I think you know were I'm going with this.

That would indeed be a great tragedy. Mmm . . . Erik like tragedy . . .

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Sounds like it'd be a sad tale.

That it does . . . making it just that much more possible for a writer like me!

And I do, actually, already have a plan for what goes on in the lives of each of my characters. Subject to change, of course, but a plan nonetheless!

Cheers
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 27 Dec 2007 : 14:22:42
Sounds like it'd be a sad tale.
riot the outsider Posted - 27 Dec 2007 : 04:56:04
I always liked the idea of Ylder roming the dark halls of towers and dungeons trying to find his sister and trying as he will to get his sister back from the demon that she joined. she blows him off shattering his innocence of her. Than being lost figures out that he doesn't need her and than becomes (because of his fighter and rogueness)becomes a hero of sorts and kills his sister.Well I think you know were I'm going with this.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 15 Dec 2007 : 00:58:34
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Ylder again, to see what he's learned in all this time, and if he's changed for the better (that is, become wiser).

Well, he *does* get a +1 ability boost every four levels that could conceivably go to Wisdom.*

I just . . . I just don't know if I can justify it based on his character build. I mean, fighter/wizard/rogue. Not a lot of wisdom-based skills/abilities there. WIS would basically be his dump-stat, followed closely by CHA.

And thus, we have your in-game reason as to why he's such a chump.

Cheers

*That is, at least until 4e FR, which might be a totally different system which will leave him in the lurch. So let's just hope he levels up a bunch before the changeover.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 12 Dec 2007 : 14:00:09
I actually wouldn't mind seeing Ylder again, to see what he's learned in all this time, and if he's changed for the better (that is, become wiser).
The Sage Posted - 12 Dec 2007 : 07:25:47
Davoren is a character from Erik's Depths of Madness novel. He serves as an intriguing conception of the "Warlock" character-class in the Realmslore.

Additionally, there is a writeup of Davoren on the Wizards' site -- it could be considered a spoiler of sorts, so you might not want to read it until after you're done with the novel:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070314
Akeri Rualuavain Posted - 12 Dec 2007 : 07:06:59
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Perhaps Cythara, seeing as how she is digging the dark side, could come across Davoren?

Well, that is entirely possible. Davoren is still kicking around somewhere. And we know it would be at least 12 years separating tGT and a crossover. Who knows what Cythara might have learned of the fiendish in that time?

Cheers

I'm gonna look like an incult, but who is Davoren.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 12 Dec 2007 : 03:47:36
quote:

Perhaps Cythara, seeing as how she is digging the dark side, could come across Davoren?

Well, that is entirely possible. Davoren is still kicking around somewhere. And we know it would be at least 12 years separating tGT and a crossover. Who knows what Cythara might have learned of the fiendish in that time?

Cheers
The Red Walker Posted - 12 Dec 2007 : 00:12:37
quote:

I think you guys would be/will be very pleased to see where Twilight goes next (that is, assuming, etc, etc). I appreciate all the discourse, and your ideas are very helpful.

I do hope to tell the Gargan/Twilight story one day. Who knows! Maybe some of your predictions/theories will come true.

And speaking of tGT tie-ins, there's also quite a bit of potential for continuation of the Yldar/Cythara story. They might meet one another again, somewhere down the road. Who knows! Sky's the limit.

Cheers

riot the outsider Posted - 11 Dec 2007 : 23:13:35
That would be a great idea the continuation of tgt.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 10 Dec 2007 : 21:19:32
I think you guys would be/will be very pleased to see where Twilight goes next (that is, assuming, etc, etc). I appreciate all the discourse, and your ideas are very helpful.

I do hope to tell the Gargan/Twilight story one day. Who knows! Maybe some of your predictions/theories will come true.

And speaking of tGT tie-ins, there's also quite a bit of potential for continuation of the Yldar/Cythara story. They might meet one another again, somewhere down the road. Who knows! Sky's the limit.

Cheers
The Sage Posted - 06 Dec 2007 : 14:44:14
quote:

I like Gargan, but the more I think about it I would love to see Twilight ditch him.
The funny thing about this is, I don't think Twilight would actually just "ditch" Gargan. Granted, Twilight has spent a lifetime building walls around herself. But then Liet came along and touched something in her. And I don't believe she'd just willingly deny what happened. Twilight would want Gargan around to help her nurture these feelings. Even if it amounts to nothing more than just making it easier for her to dismiss them later. Even if it makes it easier for her to retreat back behind her walls.
quote:
I just don't get the feeling that Twilight is a character who should be healed. Her best actions and thoughts occur because she is so emotionaly disjointed.
Coming to accept certain feelings about the people now in her life, doesn't necessarily equate with emotional healing. As I said above, Twilight's spent most of her life building her psychological walls. They aren't likely to crumble overnight. It's going to take trust, love, and focus for Twilight to even approach any pathway of healing. And that's assuming she'll want to head down that path when she gets there. How the relationship develops between Twilight and Gargan, may only end up making things worse for her. Twilight may not be ready to confront the type of life that comes with breaking down those emotional walls. She could just as easily end up walking away. What it could come down to is, whether she really wants to confront these feelings and what Liet helped her to discover. Or bury it deeper down. So deep, that not even Gargan can help her to find it.
quote:
I just cannot see myself enjoying reading her journey of healing.
Myself, I'd like to see just the journey itself. Even if she comes so far, only to turn away from it at the end. What a wonderful way to truly underline the tragedy that's inherent in Twilight's character.
quote:
I want to be shocked and a bit ticked at her for what she does next!
Regardless of what path Twilight takes, I get the feeling she'll still find new ways to shock just about everyone!
quote:
I could see what Liet "kindled" in her actually make her withdrawl even more and widen the "crack" in her psyche. Not everony can be saved, and I don't think 'Light should be.
This is an interesting perspective. And it's what I was alluding to above. Even if Twilight does start to nurture what she felt for Liet, and it does make her come out of her shell just a bit... it doesn't necessarily mean she'll want to stay this way. From what we've read about Twilight, she definitely appears warm and comfortable in her shell. It's a psychological embrace that Twilight will probably never be able to properly tear herself away from. It'll always be there... waiting, in the dark, and in those moments when she doubts her new emotionally healthy life. When she feels like she's lying to herself and those around her. Whereupon we, as the readers, will be forced to ask the question... was she ever really saved? Maybe Twilight just found a stronger mortar to use for those emotional walls she thought had been shattered.
The Red Walker Posted - 05 Dec 2007 : 21:41:04
I like Gargan, but the more I think about it I would love to see Twilight ditch him.

I just don't get the feeling that Twilight is a character who should be healed. Her best actions and thoughts occur because she is so emotionaly disjointed.

I just cannot see myself enjoying reading her journey of healing.

I want to be shocked and a bit ticked at her for what she does next!

I could see what Liet "kindled" in her actually make her withdrawl even more and widen the "crack" in her psyche. Not everony can be saved, and I don't think 'Light should be.
The Sage Posted - 30 Nov 2007 : 06:38:22
quote:

But I should warn you that mortal/divine interactions are generally quite a bit more complicated . . . I think you'll be very interested (or, that is, *would be* very interested) when you see how it all works out.
Aye. 'Tis more than likely that Twilight herself doesn't even truly realise the depth of her relationship with Erevan. And given his divine proclivity for trickery... it wouldn't at all surprise me to learn that he's often manipulated Twilight to produce a desired response from her -- probably without her even realising it.

In fact, going back to my earlier speculations about Twilight's mother, I suspect it may even be that Erevan had been watching over her family for a time long before her actual birth. Could her birth and unusual childhood [that we've speculated about previously] have also been the result of Erevan's divine interaction? 'Tis a curious situation to think about.
quote:
Yay! And that only makes it sadder, doesn't it?
Indeed. Which is why her relationship with Gargan will likely be something she'll want to nurture -- in her own way of course. Liet managed to form a breach in her "armor of isolation." And it'll be Gargan's heart and spirit, rather than his physical strength, that she'll be reaching for to help fortify it and keep it open.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 29 Nov 2007 : 17:25:26
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

And . . . it's very rare that someone comes into Twilight's life who is able to cut through her defenses and show her the truth about herself.

Note my use of the word "rare," rather than "unheard of."
One of the theories I mentioned above suggests the possibility that Erevan himself may have been among the first to "cut through Twilight's defenses" and teach her about herself. And that may be why she's partly resentful of the relationship she has with him. She didn't like what she saw, and is frustrated by the fact that there's little she can do to escape from the truth. So she hides from it instead. But Erevan's always there to remind her, however.

Very insightful!

But I should warn you that mortal/divine interactions are generally quite a bit more complicated . . . I think you'll be very interested (or, that is, *would be* very interested) when you see how it all works out.

quote:
I almost felt like Liet may have succeeded somewhat, as well. Especially given [spoiler--highlight to read] Twilight's reaction to his death at the end of Depths. As it is, he obviously reached through to *something* in her.

Yay! And that only makes it sadder, doesn't it?

quote:
And, perhaps, Gargan will eventually succeed in reaching further, or finishing what Liet started:- helping Twilight to trust enough when building relationship with others.

I guess we'll just have to see.

Cheers
The Sage Posted - 29 Nov 2007 : 06:19:18
quote:

And . . . it's very rare that someone comes into Twilight's life who is able to cut through her defenses and show her the truth about herself.

One of the theories I mentioned above suggests the possibility that Erevan himself may have been among the first to "cut through Twilight's defenses" and teach her about herself. And that may be why she's partly resentful of the relationship she has with him. She didn't like what she saw, and is frustrated by the fact that there's little she can do to escape from the truth. So she hides from it instead. But Erevan's always there to remind her, however.

I almost felt like Liet may have succeeded somewhat, as well. Especially given [spoiler--highlight to read] Twilight's reaction to his death at the end of Depths. As it is, he obviously reached through to *something* in her. And, perhaps, Gargan will eventually succeed in reaching further, or finishing what Liet started:- helping Twilight to trust enough when building relationship with others.
The Red Walker Posted - 28 Nov 2007 : 20:51:43
quote:

Cheers

About as rare as a Goliath traversing the realms with an enigmatic, confused elf rare eh?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000