Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Your favorite Forgotten Realms Novel 2005 Poll

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kajehase Posted - 28 Feb 2006 : 21:52:38
We're two months into the year 2006, so I figured it has been long enough to ask this question: Which was your favourite FR-novel originally published last year.

Please keep this scroll positive if you feel like giving your motivation - that is, no author-bashing, focus on what was good about the novel(s) you liked, not what was bad about the novels you didn't like.

Like last year, the poll has one too few slots to fit all new books in it - I left out Best of the Realms Book II: The Stories of Ed Greenwood aka The Best of Eddie, since several of those short stories (but far from all), had been published previously in various Realms of...-anthologies, Dragon Magazine, or on the WoTC website.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
koz Posted - 02 Apr 2007 : 09:41:06
When I voted I had only read three of the choices given. Since that time I have read Master of Chains, Farthest Reach and am in the middle of Promise of the Witch King. My vote still stands, as Ghostwalker completely blew me away but I have to say that this has turned out to be a very, very good year for the Realms. I enjoyed Master of Chains and absolutely loved Farthest Reach and like what I have read in Promise of the Witch King so far. If I had read all of these novels before voting I don't know how I would have made a decision. I still have so many to go too!!!!!
Victor_ograygor Posted - 25 Jan 2007 : 16:00:30
Of all the material on the list, the one thing that made me very happy to read was: The City of Splendours
Kiaransalyn Posted - 25 Jan 2007 : 11:24:16
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

We're two months into the year 2006, so I figured it has been long enough to ask this question: Which was your favourite FR-novel originally published last year.

'Queen of the Depths' by Richard Lee Byers got my vote but 'Maiden of Pain' by Kameron Franklin came a close second.
Jorkens Posted - 25 Jan 2007 : 09:20:06
The City of Splendours. I must admit though, that there are several books here I have not read.
Bocklin Posted - 25 Jan 2007 : 09:03:25
1. Midnight

Paul Kemp is just the best FR author out there. Yep, I know that it is subjective, but still... ;-)

My rest of the podium:

2. Queen of the Depths
3. Farthest Reach
koz Posted - 23 Jan 2007 : 09:57:22
I've only read Maiden of Pain, Whisper of Waves and Ghostwalker but my hands down favorite is Ghostwalker. Very cinematic and dark and moody. Enough twists and turns to keep you guessing. A cool as hell main character. Oh, and the story is great too! Read it!!! You will thank me.
Braveheart Posted - 10 Mar 2006 : 18:51:51
quote:

Seeing as Elfshadow was originally released in 1991, it's not really eligible for a poll about novels released 14 years later

ROFL.. perhaps it finally got to stores in Antarctica, that would count, wouldn't it?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Mar 2006 : 18:02:59
quote:

Seeing as Elfshadow was originally released in 1991, it's not really eligible for a poll about novels released 14 years later

Yup, it just missed the cut-off!
Kajehase Posted - 10 Mar 2006 : 17:38:15
Chosen of Lathander Posted - 10 Mar 2006 : 17:35:12
where is elfshadow??!?!?
Alisttair Posted - 10 Mar 2006 : 13:51:29
Some in there I still need to read but from those I did this is a tough choice. I went with Promise of the Witch King to support evil heroes everywhere
Kajehase Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 16:05:00
Ah...Bugger! I plucked the titles from Wizards' product place (filtering it to be Forgotten Realms-products for 2005), obviously I missed Viper's Kiss, which is annoying since it's one of my favourites too.
Beezy Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 15:14:16
Viper's kiss was indeed out early 2005.
Bluenose Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 13:30:07
quote:
the poll has one too few slots to fit all new books in it - I left out Best of the Realms Book II: The Stories of Ed Greenwood aka The Best of Eddie

I just noticed, where's Viper's Kiss? My copy has a 2005 copyright date and I don't think it was out as a hardback? It's one of my favourites too.
Beezy Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 04:59:13
I also have not read all of the novels listed. I was busy catching up on the early novels I had missed and as a result I missed out on reading mayn of the newer ones but they will be read in the next few months. I have only read four and a half of the novels listed actually. After I finish the house of serpents I plan on reading the last mythal and scions trilgoies but that wont be for another week or so.

I voted for Midnight's Mask though. I really like Kemp's writing style. His characters are very interesting as well as his villians. The trilogy was absolutely wonderful
Alaundo Posted - 02 Mar 2006 : 23:16:43
quote:

I meant the apostrophe in the line of the poll-post. I only wrote one, and yet I see four!!

Well met

This is a glitch in the code. It occurs whenever the post is edited and apostrophe's are wrapped around each other in order to contain the string of text. 'tis nothing to worry about overmuch

A very intriguing poll. Let it be said though, that this IS a very difficult choice to make, and books with fewer votes than others doesn't mean that the book is not a good book...far from it... it's a poll of a favorite book from the selection.
Kajehase Posted - 02 Mar 2006 : 22:53:55
I meant the apostrophe in the line of the poll-post. I only wrote one, and yet I see four!!
SheriffJoe Posted - 02 Mar 2006 : 22:40:11
The apostrophe is used to (I assume) denote ownership. Thus, the mask belongs to Midnight. It is Midnight's mask, an allusion to darkness and shadows putting a different face on what we normally see. Or, as I have not read the books yet, it could describe an artifact of power.

I don't think it is a plurality issue, though.
Kajehase Posted - 02 Mar 2006 : 20:37:03
I like this, no runaway winner like the 2003 poll's Paul S Kemp-contribution Nothing against the Erevis Cale-trilogy, but this is more exciting
(Speaking of Paul S Kemp-contributions, why does the apostrophe in Midnight's Mask multiply? Anyone?)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 02 Mar 2006 : 20:05:27
City of Splendors: A Novel of Waterdeep. More like a novel of splendors: splendid characters, splendid story, splendid descriptions.
VEDSICA Posted - 02 Mar 2006 : 19:04:27
Midnight's Mask and Farthest Reach for me.I really can't choose between the two
Reefy Posted - 02 Mar 2006 : 16:47:45
I went for Farthest Reach. And not just because I've not read any of the others...
khorne Posted - 02 Mar 2006 : 11:04:35
Midnight`s Mask all the way.
Lameth Posted - 01 Mar 2006 : 20:58:19
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

..it's just that I'm a boring, fantasy reader who likes his good guys squeaky clean.

Nice avatar that u have here *g*

I vote for Pauls book *thumbs up*
Skeptic Posted - 01 Mar 2006 : 19:36:34
I have read PotWK, CoS, the Rite and Farthest Reach which I ranked first with no hesitation.

Promise was fun, but I wanted to learn more..

CoS was really not what I expected and this monster cult never worked for me.

I like the Year of the Rogue Dragons trilogy even if I still have problems with the weird party (half-golem, artic dwarf, avariel duelist, etc.) and the "local focus". (What happen with raging dragons elsewhere?)
Jindael Posted - 01 Mar 2006 : 15:53:35
This list makes me very aware of how far behind I am. I have only read three of the books on this list.

I own seven of them though.

Braveheart Posted - 01 Mar 2006 : 15:11:33
I voted for Ghostwalker, mostly because I loved the style and the feel of the book, which was similar to all those old books of the "Harpers"-series *nostalgic sigh*. But to be honest, every book on this poll was great and unique in its own way .
Bluenose Posted - 01 Mar 2006 : 14:36:21
I'm not sure if my vote got counted as I had a database error when I tried to cast it, but Ghostwalker got my vote, just ahead of Midnight's Mask. I suppose I like somewhat ambiguous "heroes" and situations, which both of these had. Third would be The Rite, simply because I like dragons and these were good (as in bad, but well done). I might feel differently if City of Splendours was a paperback, but I'm not willing to spend the extra money on a HB copy. That's one for this year.
Sir Vengeance Posted - 01 Mar 2006 : 12:54:28
I rank Richard Baker's Farthest Reach as the top novel in my list. I enjoyed the descriptions of the fights, wars and plotting in the novel, drags me to read further and further.
Seconding it up would be CoS and Midnight's Mask in my list, both occupy equal attention from me so that's why both in the rank 2 in my list. The CoS is a must read to those who had not read it, I truly enjoyed this marvel.
For Midnight's Mask, one word to describe it: fantastic. Let's hope Shade won't perish in Cale's next trilogy, for it does, another enclave of innocents will go too.
Shadovar Posted - 01 Mar 2006 : 12:18:10
Hmm...so many books but pity that I had not even managed to get them yet. Well, the Rite was dynamic to my tastes so I voted for it. I enjoyed the way Richard Lee Byers portrayed the metal and the chromatic wyrms, especially the chromatic wryms as well as the way he wrote the novel. I liked it.
Elaine's and Ed's work on CoS was undoubtedly excellent and follow it up to my first choice. Midnight's Mask was good, nicely written and the third best novel I had ever read.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000