Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Sunless Citadel

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mazrim_Taim Posted - 01 Dec 2005 : 11:32:17
Okay, I am trying to convert the regular D&D modules to Forgotten Realms.The Sunless Citadel is the first one I am trying to do. I bought this a looong time ago and haven't used it yet, so I thought I might try to get some use out of it. I never did like it as far as story goes, but that's why I am going to spice it up with Realmyness.

But I do have a few questions to ask if anyone knows them.

1. When did Sammaster create the Cult of The Dragon?
2. Are there any known cult hideouts besides the one mentioned in the FRCS near the Battle of Bones?
3. Where can I get more information about the Cult...Lords of Darnkess?

Okay, that's about all I need. I am pretty sure if no ones knows the second one I can place it around that area. I was thinking about created a dead dragon worshipping cult a lot like the Cult of The Dragon, but they were more focused on balance and study, rather than evil like the current Cult. Samamster, was one of the High Lords of this cult, but he had his own twisted scheme all along. He was very skilled in the arts of Necromancy, and wanted to turn a nearby dragon, Ashardalon, into something he had been researching for some time, a Dracolich.

Of course, this had been his plan all along upon joining the cult. He spent many years rising through the ranks. Whispering in the right ears, planting ideas into like minds, and when he obtained the highest status within the orginization, he had a large following.

Unfortunately for him, the other High Lords found out about his plan, and went to warn Ashardalon, a cocky red dragon, but one who had respected the cult, and their gifts (of course) for quite some time.

The resulting battle between the Citadel and the Dragon was fearsome. He destroyed the Citadel, and layed waste to the surrounding area. Suprisingly enough, Sammaster and most of his followers were not there the night the Citadel was destroyed. Sammaster had convinced Ashardalon to become a Dracolich before he was a High Lord. But he needed more support from the ranks of the orginization, so that when he and his followers dissapeared, the resulting loss on the Citadel's defenses would be enough to allow the Dragon to destroy it.

After that, Sammaster took the new Cult of The Dragon and set up their base somewhere else.

I know, it's kinda lame, but I just thought it up staring at my Sunless Citadel on the shelf. I remember some details about it and that it was based around some Dragon cult. My mind immediately jumped to the Cult in FR. So keep in mind I am only basin this off of

A) What I remembered from when I first got the module and read it
B) What little information is provided about the Cult in FRCS.

It's definitely incomplete. I don't have Lords of Darkness if that mentions anything about the Cult in it. All I am going on is the information in the Campaign setting.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alaundo Posted - 02 Dec 2005 : 08:28:06
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

Okay, I am trying to convert the regular D&D modules to Forgotten Realms.The Sunless Citadel is the first one I am trying to do. I bought this a looong time ago and haven't used it yet, so I thought I might try to get some use out of it. I never did like it as far as story goes, but that's why I am going to spice it up with Realmyness.

Well met

I'd be interested to see thy final adjustments to this, Mazrim_Taim as I ran this very module myself a couple of years ago. If I can locate my scribblings, i'll share them with ye.

In addition, if ye do go on to add Realms specifics to the following modules in the series, then please let us know
Mazrim_Taim Posted - 02 Dec 2005 : 06:56:45
Yeah, Sammaster was too insane when he created the cult now that I read about it. So this disciple, he came to where there was another organization who was formed around the magical study of all dragons, infiltrated it, subverted some of it's members to his views. Then made a deal with the nearby dragon to destroy the Citadel.

I'll probably completely change the adventure though, because I want to put things in it that I don't think 1st level characters could handle
warlockco Posted - 02 Dec 2005 : 06:13:08
Instead of using Sammaster himself, just use a Purple Robe of your own making, maybe one of his first disciples...
Mazrim_Taim Posted - 01 Dec 2005 : 22:20:25
That's useful to know, thanks. After reading the downloadable content, I see my story doesn't have much to do with who Sammaster is. Damn I didn't know he was a Chosen of Mystra.

I still want to connect the Citadel to the Cult, just in a different way.
Kajehase Posted - 01 Dec 2005 : 15:41:55
And in addition to the 2nd edition book, the Cult is indeed mentioned in both Lords of Darkness, as well as Champions of Ruin (and most likely in the upcoming Dragons of Faerūn. Furthermore, you may want to check out The Year of Rogue Dragons-trilogy and Queen of the Depths as well.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 01 Dec 2005 : 15:05:32
If you have decend dowload speed you might try this link:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/2/fr_downloads/tsr9547.zip

It's the direct link to the download of the 2nd Edition Cult of the Dragon sourcebook.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000