Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Sunless Citadel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  11:32:17  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, I am trying to convert the regular D&D modules to Forgotten Realms.The Sunless Citadel is the first one I am trying to do. I bought this a looong time ago and haven't used it yet, so I thought I might try to get some use out of it. I never did like it as far as story goes, but that's why I am going to spice it up with Realmyness.

But I do have a few questions to ask if anyone knows them.

1. When did Sammaster create the Cult of The Dragon?
2. Are there any known cult hideouts besides the one mentioned in the FRCS near the Battle of Bones?
3. Where can I get more information about the Cult...Lords of Darnkess?

Okay, that's about all I need. I am pretty sure if no ones knows the second one I can place it around that area. I was thinking about created a dead dragon worshipping cult a lot like the Cult of The Dragon, but they were more focused on balance and study, rather than evil like the current Cult. Samamster, was one of the High Lords of this cult, but he had his own twisted scheme all along. He was very skilled in the arts of Necromancy, and wanted to turn a nearby dragon, Ashardalon, into something he had been researching for some time, a Dracolich.

Of course, this had been his plan all along upon joining the cult. He spent many years rising through the ranks. Whispering in the right ears, planting ideas into like minds, and when he obtained the highest status within the orginization, he had a large following.

Unfortunately for him, the other High Lords found out about his plan, and went to warn Ashardalon, a cocky red dragon, but one who had respected the cult, and their gifts (of course) for quite some time.

The resulting battle between the Citadel and the Dragon was fearsome. He destroyed the Citadel, and layed waste to the surrounding area. Suprisingly enough, Sammaster and most of his followers were not there the night the Citadel was destroyed. Sammaster had convinced Ashardalon to become a Dracolich before he was a High Lord. But he needed more support from the ranks of the orginization, so that when he and his followers dissapeared, the resulting loss on the Citadel's defenses would be enough to allow the Dragon to destroy it.

After that, Sammaster took the new Cult of The Dragon and set up their base somewhere else.

I know, it's kinda lame, but I just thought it up staring at my Sunless Citadel on the shelf. I remember some details about it and that it was based around some Dragon cult. My mind immediately jumped to the Cult in FR. So keep in mind I am only basin this off of

A) What I remembered from when I first got the module and read it
B) What little information is provided about the Cult in FRCS.

It's definitely incomplete. I don't have Lords of Darkness if that mentions anything about the Cult in it. All I am going on is the information in the Campaign setting.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 01 Dec 2005 11:36:52

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  15:05:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have decend dowload speed you might try this link:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/2/fr_downloads/tsr9547.zip

It's the direct link to the download of the 2nd Edition Cult of the Dragon sourcebook.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  15:41:55  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And in addition to the 2nd edition book, the Cult is indeed mentioned in both Lords of Darkness, as well as Champions of Ruin (and most likely in the upcoming Dragons of Faerűn. Furthermore, you may want to check out The Year of Rogue Dragons-trilogy and Queen of the Depths as well.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  22:20:25  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's useful to know, thanks. After reading the downloadable content, I see my story doesn't have much to do with who Sammaster is. Damn I didn't know he was a Chosen of Mystra.

I still want to connect the Citadel to the Cult, just in a different way.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  06:13:08  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Instead of using Sammaster himself, just use a Purple Robe of your own making, maybe one of his first disciples...

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  06:56:45  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Sammaster was too insane when he created the cult now that I read about it. So this disciple, he came to where there was another organization who was formed around the magical study of all dragons, infiltrated it, subverted some of it's members to his views. Then made a deal with the nearby dragon to destroy the Citadel.

I'll probably completely change the adventure though, because I want to put things in it that I don't think 1st level characters could handle

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 02 Dec 2005 06:58:12
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  08:28:06  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

Okay, I am trying to convert the regular D&D modules to Forgotten Realms.The Sunless Citadel is the first one I am trying to do. I bought this a looong time ago and haven't used it yet, so I thought I might try to get some use out of it. I never did like it as far as story goes, but that's why I am going to spice it up with Realmyness.

Well met

I'd be interested to see thy final adjustments to this, Mazrim_Taim as I ran this very module myself a couple of years ago. If I can locate my scribblings, i'll share them with ye.

In addition, if ye do go on to add Realms specifics to the following modules in the series, then please let us know

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly