Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Cockleby?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 22 Oct 2005 : 20:40:39
In Sojourn Hephaestus boasts to Drizzt that he is "Destroyer of Cockleby" (with caps, mind you!). Who or what was "Cockleby," pray tell? "Angalander" was presumably a silver dragon, but unless "Ten Thousand Cattle" was also a dragon, "Cockleby" may be a place name.

Anyone?

Anyone?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Nov 2005 : 11:40:55
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

quote:
Originally posted by Crust

I had a similar sense of confusion when I was introduced to the bog bloke in the Hunter's Blade trilogy. What in Faerun is a bog bloke? Some distant cousin of the treant? Are we making up monsters as we go here?

I thought the Bog Bloke was mentioned in the Icewind Dale Trilogy. When the Companions of the Hall are in the Trollmoors and Wulfgar throws his hammer out of sheer instinct and hits one of them and the rest scatter.

Indeed... But I believe the question was: "Where did these critters come from? There's no other mention of them anywhere that I know of."
Drakul Posted - 04 Nov 2005 : 05:56:06
quote:
Originally posted by Crust

I had a similar sense of confusion when I was introduced to the bog bloke in the Hunter's Blade trilogy. What in Faerun is a bog bloke? Some distant cousin of the treant? Are we making up monsters as we go here?

I thought the Bog Bloke was mentioned in the Icewind Dale Trilogy. When the Companions of the Hall are in the Trollmoors and Wulfgar throws his hammer out of sheer instinct and hits one of them and the rest scatter.
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 03 Nov 2005 : 21:47:48
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:

quote:

Uhhh ... does anyone actually know the answer to the question?

RA Salvatore might know, he wrote it. Not sure anyone else does. It does not appear in any other place that I can find. One could try asking at his site or the ask him thread at candlekeep.

He has a scroll here? Where, prithee?

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1889

I have not seen an answer from him recently, but he does have a scroll.

Mercy buckets.
Crust Posted - 30 Oct 2005 : 23:30:33
Kentinal Posted - 26 Oct 2005 : 01:15:18
quote:

quote:

quote:

RA Salvatore might know, he wrote it. Not sure anyone else does. It does not appear in any other place that I can find. One could try asking at his site or the ask him thread at candlekeep.

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1889

I have not seen an answer from him recently, but he does have a scroll.
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 26 Oct 2005 : 01:09:15
quote:

quote:

Kentinal Posted - 26 Oct 2005 : 00:51:17
quote:

Jamallo Kreen Posted - 26 Oct 2005 : 00:39:39
Kentinal Posted - 24 Oct 2005 : 15:34:56
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

I always assumed it was a place name that I'd never heard of because it was destroyed.

Oh it certainly can also be a place, however only one person, the author might knw about it. As far as it goes many places are named after people such as Cockleby Park *grin*.

It clearly was/is not a place and/or person well known in the Realms.
Xysma Posted - 24 Oct 2005 : 15:27:10
I always assumed it was a place name that I'd never heard of because it was destroyed.
Kentinal Posted - 23 Oct 2005 : 18:37:56
Well search appears to indicate very few hits. I suspect the name is a person. There appears to be a Cockleby Park.
Also a breeder name Flecter develped the
"Cockleby Suffolk flock"

An old poem refers to "Cockleby’s Sow"

Off hand I would guess Cockleby’s Sow was used to add to word count. Google gave me 23 hits most refer to sheep.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Oct 2005 : 17:36:45
Anyway, back on topic...
Talanfir Swiftfeet Posted - 23 Oct 2005 : 13:37:21
Cockleby is a funny word. I could keep saying Cockleby forever. Cockleby Cockleby Cockleby . Okay i'm done.
Cockleby Cockleby. I'm soooo nine years old(nine and a half next march).
Thelonius Posted - 22 Oct 2005 : 21:44:22
Yeah, the cockatrice has been my first impression, but about the question itself,... I am not sure what does it refers to...
khorne Posted - 22 Oct 2005 : 20:49:38
quote:

In Sojourn Hephaestus boasts to Drizzt that he is "Destroyer of Cockleby" (with caps, mind you!). Who or what was "Cockleby," pray tell? "Angalander" was presumably a silver dragon, but unless "Ten Thousand Cattle" was also a dragon, "Cockleby" may be a place name.

Anyone?

Anyone?

When I hear cockleby I start thinking about insane chickens for some reason.........though I doubt that is what Hephaestus meant.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000