Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Cockleby?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  20:40:39  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In Sojourn Hephaestus boasts to Drizzt that he is "Destroyer of Cockleby" (with caps, mind you!). Who or what was "Cockleby," pray tell? "Angalander" was presumably a silver dragon, but unless "Ten Thousand Cattle" was also a dragon, "Cockleby" may be a place name.

Anyone?

Anyone?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  20:49:38  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

In Sojourn Hephaestus boasts to Drizzt that he is "Destroyer of Cockleby" (with caps, mind you!). Who or what was "Cockleby," pray tell? "Angalander" was presumably a silver dragon, but unless "Ten Thousand Cattle" was also a dragon, "Cockleby" may be a place name.

Anyone?

Anyone?

When I hear cockleby I start thinking about insane chickens for some reason.........though I doubt that is what Hephaestus meant.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  21:44:22  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the cockatrice has been my first impression, but about the question itself,... I am not sure what does it refers to...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2005 :  13:37:21  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cockleby is a funny word. I could keep saying Cockleby forever. Cockleby Cockleby Cockleby . Okay i'm done.
Cockleby Cockleby. I'm soooo nine years old(nine and a half next march).

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2005 :  17:36:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyway, back on topic...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2005 :  18:37:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well search appears to indicate very few hits. I suspect the name is a person. There appears to be a Cockleby Park.
Also a breeder name Flecter develped the
"Cockleby Suffolk flock"

An old poem refers to "Cockleby’s Sow"

Off hand I would guess Cockleby’s Sow was used to add to word count. Google gave me 23 hits most refer to sheep.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  15:27:10  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always assumed it was a place name that I'd never heard of because it was destroyed.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  15:34:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

I always assumed it was a place name that I'd never heard of because it was destroyed.

Oh it certainly can also be a place, however only one person, the author might knw about it. As far as it goes many places are named after people such as Cockleby Park *grin*.

It clearly was/is not a place and/or person well known in the Realms.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  00:39:39  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uhhh ... does anyone actually know the answer to the question?

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  00:51:17  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

RA Salvatore might know, he wrote it. Not sure anyone else does. It does not appear in any other place that I can find. One could try asking at his site or the ask him thread at candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  01:09:15  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

RA Salvatore might know, he wrote it. Not sure anyone else does. It does not appear in any other place that I can find. One could try asking at his site or the ask him thread at candlekeep.

He has a scroll here? Where, prithee?

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  01:15:18  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1889

I have not seen an answer from him recently, but he does have a scroll.

Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2005 :  23:30:33  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a similar sense of confusion when I was introduced to the bog bloke in the Hunter's Blade trilogy. What in Faerun is a bog bloke? Some distant cousin of the treant? Are we making up monsters as we go here?

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Crust on 30 Oct 2005 23:30:57
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  21:47:48  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1889

I have not seen an answer from him recently, but he does have a scroll.

Mercy buckets.

Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  05:56:06  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crust

I had a similar sense of confusion when I was introduced to the bog bloke in the Hunter's Blade trilogy. What in Faerun is a bog bloke? Some distant cousin of the treant? Are we making up monsters as we go here?

I thought the Bog Bloke was mentioned in the Icewind Dale Trilogy. When the Companions of the Hall are in the Trollmoors and Wulfgar throws his hammer out of sheer instinct and hits one of them and the rest scatter.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  11:40:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

quote:
Originally posted by Crust

I thought the Bog Bloke was mentioned in the Icewind Dale Trilogy. When the Companions of the Hall are in the Trollmoors and Wulfgar throws his hammer out of sheer instinct and hits one of them and the rest scatter.

Indeed... But I believe the question was: "Where did these critters come from? There's no other mention of them anywhere that I know of."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000