Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 City model of Waterdeep?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wandering_mage Posted - 03 Nov 2006 : 00:35:09
I recently borrowed the 2nd edition box set for Waterdeep from a friend, and the box set was complete with all the books and maps. I got really excited and started flipping through the map of the city when I realized I was looking at something much like a model.

1. Did some one make a scaled model of Waterdeep to make the city map?
2. If so, does it still exist?
3. Why does it seem that the focus of 2nd edition products compared to 3rd edition products vary so much? (Reading through the box set books I realized that there was strong emphasis on dopplgangers in Waterdeep... Yeah, I had no idea. And I feel dumb now. )
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Asgetrion Posted - 09 Nov 2006 : 00:00:22
I think there was also an "aerial/artistic map" of Waterdeep (drawn by Valerie Valusek) in one of the boxed sets or the City System. It was in fact quite accurate, and gave a good picture of what the City of Splendors might look like...
Talanfir Swiftfeet Posted - 08 Nov 2006 : 08:34:14
I know it won't be the same, but maybe someone should try to make it on a computer. Neverwinter nights 2 just came out, and you can build your own modules quite easily with it (although it may not have enough different buildings for a city as big as Waterdeep).

If someone will do Waterdeep in real life I think printing parts of it from Faerun Interactive Atlas might help a lot (though it will use a huge amount of paper and ink to print it completely).
KnightErrantJR Posted - 06 Nov 2006 : 15:50:46
I was worn out when I made tactical maps of the Jaelre compound in Lords of Darkness using Dundjinni. Look pretty cool though, but it wasn't 3-D. Waterdeep is a project that could suck a significant portion of your life away, methinks.
Ergdusch Posted - 06 Nov 2006 : 09:44:06
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

would be a project though - building a Waterdeep model

(like they built model railroad layout miniature of german cities like Hamburg and Berlin).

Man, that would be a huge undertaking, even in Z scale! What scale was it?

It was built in H0 (1:87). At the moment the Model of Hamburg has a size of about 900 sqmtrs. It is very impressive to look at, really. If anyone likes to get the link - I am happy to share it with you (if not too far off topic )
Wandering_mage Posted - 04 Nov 2006 : 22:11:55
Awesome Steve! That was exactly what I was looking for.

PS-I will be a voting myself on Tuesday. May Tyr watch over us on that day.
Steven Schend Posted - 04 Nov 2006 : 04:05:15
Yes, Dennis Kauth of the TSR mapping department made a 25mm (well, closer to 30mm scale) map of the Adventurers' Quarter of Waterdeep. Don't rightly remember why he wanted to (other than perhaps merely that), but I wasn't about to stop him. You should be able to guess the scale, as there's 25mm minis within the photos on the poster map.

So far as I know, it still exists; I happened to be out sick the day they auctioned that model off, so I believe Anne Brown bought it (and the proceeds for that auction, along with so many other things, went to charity around 1996 or so).

City System was the first box, but that's a collection of dozens of maps to fit together the map of Waterdeep in scale with Ed's sketch maps. The closest TSR came to ever producing a bigger city map was if you'd collected every Marvel Super Heroes game product and pieced together the generic cityscape maps.

As for building a scale model of the city, there lies madness. Remember that even at 25mm scale, to fit MOunt Waterdeep and the Castle and Piergeiron's Palace, you'd be looking at models similar in scale to what WETA built for the Lord of the Rings movies.

Steven
who hopes those of you Americans eligible to do so are registered to vote next Tuesday
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 03 Nov 2006 : 14:26:34
Plausible? Why? Admittedly, the Realms are well known, but what use would a model have from a marketing POV? GenCon is about events, what kind of event would a model of Waterdeep have aside from being an attraction for a few hundred Realmsian? Although I haven't been to GenCon since 2000 and basically hung out with the same crowd, other things are more important.

Even if they did build it, would they want to market it? Who would buy a big-ass scaled model of a city that takes up space and cannot be used?

being overly critical again...cheers
Wandering_mage Posted - 03 Nov 2006 : 14:10:09
Thanks for the info fellow scribes. Now I guess we need to petition for WotC to build Waterdeep....in life like scale! Mwhahahahaha!!! Seriously though, at any of the past GENCON's did they build a model of Waterdeep? It seems so plausible. Doesn't it? I would love to look down on the City of Splendors as Ao... I mean a bird does.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 03 Nov 2006 : 13:45:59
I doubt a room with 100 m square would not be enough... a to scale model usable for 25mm minis...muahahaha
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Nov 2006 : 13:19:37
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

(like they built model railroad layout miniature of german cities like Hamburg and Berlin).

Man, that would be a huge undertaking, even in Z scale! What scale was it?
Ergdusch Posted - 03 Nov 2006 : 12:42:13

Zimme Posted - 03 Nov 2006 : 08:28:06
Aye, that set was of extreme use to my waterdeep campaigns, and still is. a question of conversion to 3e.
Alaundo Posted - 03 Nov 2006 : 08:16:46
Well met

Indeed, I assume Wandering_mage to be refering to the City of Splendors box set, as this contains a complete section for the Adventurer's Quarter, which was shown as a constructed model.
Alexander Heppe Posted - 03 Nov 2006 : 06:58:35
Kuje is right, of course. But as I read the question of Wandering_Mage, he is inquiring about the Box "City of Splendors", which was published much later than "Forgotten Realms City System".

In this box, one would find top-down photographies of a city scale model, complete with miniatures and such. But iirc they only built the so called "Adventurers Quarter" in South Ward, not the city as a whole (which would prove quite "filling", I think, when spaking of regularly sized basements...)

As to the wherabouts of that model... Maybe you should ask Steven or Ed in one of the "ask the author" threads?
Kuje Posted - 03 Nov 2006 : 01:38:12
City System box set allowed you to build a replica of Waterdeep. :) Or at least parts of it. Also, that box set rocked because of the booklet of Waterdeep street scenes. There's gotta be 200+ street scenes in that booklet, broken down by ward.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000