Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Master and DDi

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jakk Posted - 24 May 2009 : 18:09:06
So... now that we know that Ed will be making regular contributions to content for DDi, how does that affect your willingness to subscribe?

I'm posting this poll out of curiosity:
a] as to how we feel now, a year and a half after the fact, about the demise of the printed magazines, and;
b] as to how we feel now, almost a year after the fact, about the Spellplague and its effects on Toril.

I'm not going to cast the first vote; I'm more interested in what the rest of us have to say. Once there have been a few votes cast, I'll sneak mine in.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gyor Posted - 20 Dec 2014 : 18:02:42
Wow this thread is very out of date, to my knowledge DDI is a 4e musuem piece and is not really relavent tothe 5e realms. Its not getting updates anymore.
The Arcanamach Posted - 18 Dec 2014 : 22:57:46
It would definitely affect my decision, if I had some idea of what will be covered.
idilippy Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 19:56:16
I voted it doesn't because, as much as I'd love to read what Ed has to say, I am not willing to pay for a subscription full of stuff I'll never use so that I can read one article a month. If DDI ever offered a way to buy only specific articles I would probably do that even though I don't use any part of the 4e Realms, but until then all my gaming money is going to Paizo.
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 05:33:15
Generally speaking, yes. But some come with rather interesting plot variations for character/class origins.
The Sage Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 00:58:07
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

I first got into it for the Deities and Demigods articles for 4e, as well as the Codex of Betayal(relating to the nine hells history for Points of Light). I also enjoy the class acts, winning races, and ecology articles, as well as the various sources including new magical items. Some specific issues of Dragon have held no interest for me at all, while others have been treasure troves of information. It's hit and miss.

The "Codex of Betrayal" are definitely worth the read -- especially for planar fans. "Winning Races" articles have their moments, too, as does the "Ecology of ... " series. The "Bazaar of the Bizarre" just doesn't feel the same to me though, and the "Class Acts" focus entirely too much on rules for me to find much use in them.
The Sage Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 00:56:05
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ed's contributions are the only things that interest me about the DDI. If I could get just those, I gladly would.
The combined contributions from the Brothers' James appeals greatly to me, as well. It's just unfortunate that we've not seen much from their virtual quills in some time.
quote:
I always thought that some of his best stuff was when he just picked some minor little corner of the Realms -- like a shrine, or that article that focused on a sword out in the middle of nowhere -- and detailed that. That's the stuff that makes a setting come alive.
That's largely what most of his "Eye on the Realms" articles are like. There are two or three which focus on specific elements, but otherwise the rest simply reflect just how wide and expansive -- and unexplored -- the Realms still remains.
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 20:40:54
Good point.
Asharak Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 20:38:41
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

Eh. Saves trees and delivery costs.

Goblins hate trees...
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 19:26:53
Eh. Saves trees and delivery costs.
Asharak Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 19:18:52
I voted "It doesn't; I refuse to support the demise of the printed magazines."

4E is an heresy for me. No more money for Wizbro.

I still buy 1E and 2E...
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 18:51:09
I especially enjoy articles that give insights into races and cultures in various campaigns; two recent articles involved details on shadar-kai and shifters in the realms, and a while back there was one on warforged in the realms, as well. They were all a big help to my campaign.
Diffan Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 18:32:42
I've already subscribed for over the past year and I haven't been displeased yet. The articles are always interesting even if I don't use them in my current campaign (yet). They make for interesting reading, can provide plot hooks (even in prior editions with just a teenie-weenie bit of work, seriously like 5 min), and often provide a small description of the Realms that just meshes well.

They're not HUGE things that shake anything up but still give a little something to the reader.

Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 18:30:28
I first got into it for the Deities and Demigods articles for 4e, as well as the Codex of Betayal(relating to the nine hells history for Points of Light). I also enjoy the class acts, winning races, and ecology articles, as well as the various sources including new magical items. Some specific issues of Dragon have held no interest for me at all, while others have been treasure troves of information. It's hit and miss.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 18:10:22
Ed's contributions are the only things that interest me about the DDI. If I could get just those, I gladly would.

I always thought that some of his best stuff was when he just picked some minor little corner of the Realms -- like a shrine, or that article that focused on a sword out in the middle of nowhere -- and detailed that. That's the stuff that makes a setting come alive.
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 17:08:00
Already subscribed. Though to be honest, Ed's contributions haven't held much interest for me.
Erdrick Stormedge Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 16:06:50
After having participated in the Living Forgotten Realms Campaign at D$D Experience, I am totally subscribing to DDI.

As I entered the dim conventional hall upon my arrival at the convention, I strode purposefully to the D$D Experience HQ. Then, an elven general from the Armies of Myth Drannor addressed the Battle Interactive participants. These brave men and women, true warriors all, roared in unison, "FOR MYTH DRANNOR!"

I grinned from ear to ear. Over a hundred nerds...er, warriors, proud defenders of Myth Drannor cheering as one!

I then joined their ranks. Fierce battles were fought, staunch alliances were formed, and I made friends on and off the battle-field.

I through in with a father-son team, the boy's (all of eight winters) D$D binder-cover proudly inscribed with a graphite coat-of-arms. His father looking on proudly as he marked and slew their foes.
An elderly bon-vivant and professor of physics...
A restaurant manager who remembered that I was in the doghouse for running home late to my lady love the night before...
And a spelljamming ship...

Aye, the 4e Realms, in convention format, is 'lite' on roleplaying. However, this community should not be abandoned by those who love the Realms most. It will not be abandoned by me.

I plan to be a Dungeon Master for the convention in years to come. I have now embraced the 4e realms... I have games running in 1357 DR, 1368 DR, 1386 DR and now 1481 DR. I will bring the rich Realms to new and old players alike, give them the snippets of mysteries, shrouded in legend, steeped in lore, that I love.

Here's to DDI, the 4e realms, and beyond!

'Till Swords Meet!
Arioch Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 11:33:22
Not voted yet... Still undecided.

If Ed can write about major events, maybe... I can sign up. If his articles can fill the gap of lore between pre and post spellplague realms maybe I can sign up.

Not just a matter of who write (even if I LOVE Ed's writings) but also of the topics.

Brimstone Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 10:59:38
I have really enjoyed Ed's Eye on the Realms articles.

As Sage said, mostly lore. An occasional magic item, maybe an NPC write up. Pretty cool. I am glad that the articles have continued past November.
The Sage Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 08:29:21
quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

Didn't immediately notice that this was a 2 year old thread brought back from the dead. That said, how much FR material did Ed produce for the DDI since that time? A lot? Regular contributions? All of it post-Spellplague or anything useful for previous eras?

Ed's had a regular monthly column feature as part of the DDI since late '09 -- entitled "Eye on the Realms." [See this scroll for details pertaining to each and every article.] And while the content is set in the post-Spellplague Realms, Ed's typical style ensures that fans of both the new and old Realms find something to love in his articles.
Shemmy Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 08:12:36
It'd have to be in print form, and pertain to the pre-4e/pre-Spellplague Realms for me to purchase it. Though if they allowed for the purchase of individual DDI articles, I would strongly consider it if it pertained to pre-Spellplague/pre-4e Realms material. Otherwise, no interest.

Didn't immediately notice that this was a 2 year old thread brought back from the dead. That said, how much FR material did Ed produce for the DDI since that time? A lot? Regular contributions? All of it post-Spellplague or anything useful for previous eras?
The Sage Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 01:19:05
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Did you know that WotC is removing the ability to download the collated magazine issue? It's unclear whether or not you'll be able to download individual articles, but the collated monthly issue is a thing of the past according to their site.
Actually, it is pretty clear. You can still both access and download individual articles. That's largely always been the practice for the DDI. You simply had the option of downloading a compilation of the entire month's worth of articles into a handy PDF at the end of each month. That's the only option that's been removed. Nothing else has changed.
quote:
And they're making it sound like they're doing this because "it's what customers want."
Well, as a subscriber, I'd say they're somewhat accurate with this statement, because that's mostly all I've wanted. And it's also all I've been doing since I first purchased my account back in mid '09. I don't really have much interest in rules-related articles, since the rules-set I use for my campaigns exists, largely, as a hodge-podge of rules and mechanics from across many editions and several different games. So unless there's a particular 4e mechanic that I can incorporate, or lore-specific content featured in a heavily-rules-related offering from the DDI, I won't bother accessing the article. I'm mostly in this for the lore of 4e, and whatever great stuff is going from the quills of Ed, Brian, Bruce, or the other Lore Lords of the 4e Realms.
quote:
Thing is, with printed magazines you actually own them. I still own my magazine collection (yep, the entire run), and I leaf through them quite often. With DDI, the rules of ownership change based on their whim. Soon, you won't own any product, but they've tricked you into paying that monthly fee. What do you have to show for that money at the end of the day? Air.
Not really. I've bound files and notebooks filled to capacity with hard-copy print-outs of all the DDI articles I've purchased, and which I'll always have access to.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 00:31:34
I second that, although I did not know about the change. Shows how often I even VISIT their site- there is simply nothing there for me.....

Which just means my vote of not supporting the demise of the printed mag is justified.
Therise Posted - 29 Jan 2011 : 12:46:21
I didn't subscribe to DDI and now I never will. And it doesn't even have anything to do with how much I detest the 4E Shattered Realms.

Did you know that WotC is removing the ability to download the collated magazine issue? It's unclear whether or not you'll be able to download individual articles, but the collated monthly issue is a thing of the past according to their site.

And they're making it sound like they're doing this because "it's what customers want."

Thing is, with printed magazines you actually own them. I still own my magazine collection (yep, the entire run), and I leaf through them quite often. With DDI, the rules of ownership change based on their whim. Soon, you won't own any product, but they've tricked you into paying that monthly fee. What do you have to show for that money at the end of the day? Air.

A few spotty Realms articles here and there were not enough, even the few bits from Ed. And now that we won't even be able to save a computer archive of magazine issues, there's no way they could get me to buy into DDI.
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 29 Jan 2011 : 08:57:33
"It doesn''t; I refuse to support the demise of the printed magazines."
skychrome Posted - 24 Sep 2009 : 15:51:37
I voted for none of the poll options as this is a really ambivalent issue for me.

If it comes to digital subscription, I prefer print. It is just so much more pleasent to read with paper in hand than a notebook. At least that goes for me.

Regarding 4e and the realms I am kinda stuck in the middle at this moment which also leads to me having slowed down the FR-novel reading in general.
I am utterly FR addicted and sadly there is lots of stuff in the new realms, that I do not like or where I do not see the point/perspective.
I have no problems with 4e rules though and in general I also usually never have problems with changes.
But in this case I have doubts about where this is going to and if it is worth it to delve into 4e FR. I mean, if the future of this setting will truly be based on 4e Core material only and the FR contents mainly via DDI.... I donīt know but for me that is not the way I want ride along this setting.
On the other I usually never stick exclusively to versions that are no longer continued.
I guess I will have to make up my mind on this during the months to come.

In any case at this point of time DDI is no option for me. All I want to do after work is not sit in front of a computer screen again to read, so online content "no" and 4e realms...hm... to be determined at a later stage.
If I however hooked up with 4e realms as I did with the other editions, then I would probably also surrender and subscribe, although I would prefer print.
Arawn76 Posted - 24 Sep 2009 : 12:39:24
For pure flavour you'll never beat the original 1e/2e stuff, particularly for the Forgotten Realms.

That said whilst I generally didn't like the fluff for 3e at all and the core/players book for 4e left me cold I really like some of the articles on DDI. Brian James Cormyr and Moonshae in particular stand out for me.

And if Ed's writing articles it only stands to reason I'll find something I'll enjoy.

As to mechanics personally I like 4e a lot but that's irrelevant to the OP's question and a subjective measure of quality at best. I've used material from Green Ronins Blue Rose and WHFRP in games so saying that an article is no use because of edition or setting is a limit we place on ourselves. That said I certainly wouldn't encourage a long term subscription for someone with no 4e interest, perhaps dip in on months that have something relevant to you.
Dalor Darden Posted - 24 Sep 2009 : 00:54:41
I think I still prefer AD&D over any later releases...just because of the freedom of this particular line from Gygax (may he roll BACK over in his grave); and I paraphrase: "If you don't like a rule, throw it out..." With later releases, if you throw something out (like in 3.5) you might have to make another rule to replace it. When a fighter runs at a gaping maw of a dragon and tries to "slide underneath the dragon to reach the other side where the fallen cleric is so I can..." then I want to be able to simply add that into the story.

I'm tired of dice rolling for everything! And now cards????

Ed pretty much said the same for the Forgotten Realms. If you don't like something, change it.

I'm pretty much of that mind...and ALL of the 4e Realms is not something that will be used in my games I guess; so I really have no further use for these "magazines" in whatever format they are delivered.

Jorkens Posted - 22 Sep 2009 : 15:29:03
I seem to have missed this one.

I really don't like subscribing to anything (even if it is free) and certainly not when it is not printed. I am always interested in Ed's articles, but with me not running newer game editions and not caring much for the changes done it is just not worth it.
silverwizard Posted - 22 Sep 2009 : 14:22:53
Still not touching anything related to 4E.
Kno Posted - 22 Sep 2009 : 07:21:38
I miss the Paizo magazines, reading online is too bothersome.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000