Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ultear Milkovich [Mage of Time]

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dennis Posted - 11 Nov 2011 : 04:48:31

From Fairy Tail Wiki:

Ultear Milkovich is a female Mage and a former member of the Grimoire Heart Guild. She was the eldest of the Seven Kin of Purgatory, the strongest team in her guild.

Ultear's branch of specialty is to manipulate the "time" of an object or a living thing but not a human. She can fast forward an object's "time" into the future, making it decay rapidly or rush to attack her opponent. She can even stop an object's "time" by freezing it in midair. She can also rewind a damaged object's "time" to restore it to its original state. She can produce 'bubbles' of time that show the various potential things that the item could do and then pick one of the timelines whenever she wants to. Ultear learnt this magic that was said to defeat molding magic mages to kill her mother, Ur.

To see further details about this character, click here.

------

Is there a wizard or sorcerer in the Realms who can rewind, stop, and fast forward time at will? Or send something back to the past or far into the future? I recall only Karsus, who "plucked" the star, Candlemas, and Sunbright from the past. [And Mask, who sent Vara and her unborn child to the future. But he's no mage. And I guess all gods have that inherent ability.]

Ultear's most powerful casting [so far] involved fast forwarding the time of the Council's Palace, making it decay into dusts.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Thauranil Posted - 11 Aug 2012 : 17:11:12
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

In an episode of Fairy Tail, a new dimension of Ultear's power was shown. Her Time Ark appeared to be quite versatile. It could focus on something [a rock, in the new episode] that continuously reset its own time so that it appeared like it's absorbing the enemy's power. A foe's magical energy hit the rock, but the rock did not shatter as the Time Ark reset it to its original state.

Her powers are a bit similar to Orihime Inoue from Bleach. though i believe her actual power is not time manipulation as was originally thought but the god like ability to reject certain phenomena and events that she did not approve of and restore them to their former or even their future states.
Does anyone in the realms have have similar powers I wonder?

I'm not familiar with her. I loved the latest Bleach film. But I haven't watched the series yet. 300+ episodes...That's daunting.

Yeah though I myself love bleach, i still havent finished watching the entire series, but i,ve managed to get 3/4 of it done.
I haven't seen all the films but she is definitely in the earlier ones, an orange haired, lively and innocentish friend of Ichigos?
Anyway I think its one of my all time favorite series. Check it out, a lot of the episodes are fillers and can be skipped if you want though i generally don't as they are usually worth watching.
Quale Posted - 11 Aug 2012 : 13:52:30
that makes no sense
Dennis Posted - 11 Aug 2012 : 11:15:11
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Um... Maybe the discussion of Szassy should go to its own dedicated topic, and not continue diverting this one.

It's not a diversion. I touched on Szass Tam when I conjectured that he might have dabbled in chronomancy; and that his Dread Rings' purpose might be to reset time instead of destroying Toril and its gods.

We have no idea what this 'new' (old?) Sundering might be, but it will be revealed in a week. If Szass Tam was going for a 'reset' rather then a change, then what he was attempting was to revert the Realms back to the world it might have been. Basically, he'd 'un-do' the Elven Sundering (or Ao's), which would change everything (Elaine's Evermeet novel said that some 'peoples' were wiped off the face of Toril, "as if they never existed").

It's even possible that each Dread Ring is specifically programmed to do individual tasks. The first sucks all forms of life in the world and transfers the acquired energy to the second, which in turn destroys all the planes of existence. The third obliterates the gods. And the fourth to the nth 'recreate' everything.
Dennis Posted - 11 Aug 2012 : 11:02:11
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

In an episode of Fairy Tail, a new dimension of Ultear's power was shown. Her Time Ark appeared to be quite versatile. It could focus on something [a rock, in the new episode] that continuously reset its own time so that it appeared like it's absorbing the enemy's power. A foe's magical energy hit the rock, but the rock did not shatter as the Time Ark reset it to its original state.

Her powers are a bit similar to Orihime Inoue from Bleach. though i believe her actual power is not time manipulation as was originally thought but the god like ability to reject certain phenomena and events that she did not approve of and restore them to their former or even their future states.

I'm not familiar with her. I loved the latest Bleach film. But I haven't watched the series yet. 300+ episodes...That's daunting.

Markustay Posted - 10 Aug 2012 : 19:32:14
quote:

quote:

Um... Maybe the discussion of Szassy should go to its own dedicated topic, and not continue diverting this one.

It's not a diversion. I touched on Szass Tam when I conjectured that he might have dabbled in chronomancy; and that his Dread Rings' purpose might be to reset time instead of destroying Toril and its gods.

Hmmmm... it may be serendipitous (second time I used that word this week... POINTS FOR ME!) that Thauranil just dredged this topic up.

We have no idea what this 'new' (old?) Sundering might be, but it will be revealed in a week. If Szass Tam was going for a 'reset' rather then a change, then what he was attempting was to revert the Realms back to the world it might have been. Basically, he'd 'un-do' the Elven Sundering (or Ao's), which would change everything (Elaine's Evermeet novel said that some 'peoples' were wiped off the face of Toril, "as if they never existed").

Just more food for thought.
Thauranil Posted - 10 Aug 2012 : 11:48:52
quote:

Alystra Illianniis Posted - 10 Aug 2012 : 00:22:24
Doubtful. As I understand spellfire (and silverfire is merely a variation of this) that is not one of its effects or abilities. Certain members of her Chosen can use spells that affect or manipulate time in various ways (I recall Elminster using a spell in "Making of a Mage" that did something like this) but not time-travel. Also, El was stuck in some sort of temporal stasis for several centuries, as well. That's the only thing I can think of that even applies to any them regarding "time-travel".
Dennis Posted - 21 Nov 2011 : 14:11:29
No, Ayrik. I don't feel that way about Szass Tam. I only feel that way for Larloch and Vosthym. [Is it just me or there's really something about those statements that don't sound right?]

---

Does silverfire enable all of Mystra's Chosen to time-travel at will?
Markustay Posted - 19 Nov 2011 : 20:24:58
Chuck Norris could kick Szass Tam's butt... while sleeping... with his hands tied behind his back... from another dimension...

EDIT: And so that I don't get in trouble, I think Chuck Norris could kick Dr. Who's but too, AND Immortus. Chuck Norris is not constrained by time, he constrains IT.

Ayrik Posted - 18 Nov 2011 : 22:23:45
Distraction and false dichotomy. Weak premise, conclusion of questionable validity.

"Isn't it conceivable, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, that OJ Simpson is completely innocent of this crime because - bear with me on this - secret terrorist cells with an anti-NFL agenda have planted all this evidence to incite discontent and uncertainty? Can you dismiss the possibility that OJ is not the criminal but is instead the victim of this crime? Yes, I admit it's an improbable-seeming plot, but can you pronounce him guilty with absolute certainty, knowing that a plot such as the one I described could exist? Knowing, indeed, that in our troubled world such a plot must surely exist? Can you disprove such a plot?"

C'mon, Dennis, admit it. You feel Szass's mastery of magic is mighty beyond comparison, that (with the sole exception - perhaps - of Larloch) his skills at magic reign supreme and unchallenged. Master of necromancy he is, perhaps the most potent in the Realms, competent at other magics he is as well, a mage of the highest echelon. But he almost certainly is no chronomancer, not in published fiction, not in published stats across all D&D editions - if time was his to command then he would've wielded it along with every other tool in his magical arsenal. Instead, he was thwarted and even maimed, he lost decades or perhaps centuries of effort, without ever once resorting to any kind of secret weapon manipulating time. (And yes, it's true that magic wasn't really working out all that well for him during the Spellplague crisis, but my point is that Szass didn't implement any kind of temporal magic, he never even bothered trying, he never even mused upon and dismissed the possibility, while on the other hand his preparations and contingencies in every other conceivable regard were inhumanly systematic, efficient, and perfect.)

In terms of D&D rules, chronomancy is quite optional and obscure and (aside from name) little known to most people. In terms of Realms setting, chronomancy is just another interesting name for another obscure kind of magic and (aside from name) little known to any but the most esoteric wizards and sages. Many can cast spells like haste, slow, and time stop without understanding the finer workings of chronomancy (and how many wizards can tell you where their spell formulae originally came from?). Few indeed can comprehend or are even aware of the Demiplane of Time, fewer still have dared to explore or manipulate it, and precious few of those have ever returned to tell the tale.
Dennis Posted - 18 Nov 2011 : 18:05:29

I understand that chronomancy is a totally different school of magic. However, chronomancers also practice the art of [some, if not all] the eight 'more common' schools. But of the eight, which are they strongest in? Illusion? And which are they weakest in? Conjuration? Also, does chronomancy prevents its practitioners from dabbling in any of the eight other schools?

Wielders of shadow magic are specially powerful in the schools of Enchantment, Illusion and Necromancy, while weak in the schools of Evocation and Transmutation. Does similar division of expertise [strengths and weaknesses] apply to chronomancers?
Dennis Posted - 18 Nov 2011 : 17:59:29
quote:

quote:

quote:

When we're discussing a specific character, and wind up speculating on the plans/abilities of another, yeah, that's a diversion of the topic.

Not when said speculations/conjectures bear some weight.

You might want to review my OP. I asked if there's any wizard in Toril whose ability is similar to Ultear's. It appears like there's no definite answer to it. Hence, speculations, supported by whatever available information, are pretty much welcome. Now, if one says Riven's dogs are chronomancers, then that's clearly a diversion.

I'm done with Szass Tam in this thread, anyway. So I don't know why I'm explaining myself.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Nov 2011 : 17:27:30
quote:

quote:

When we're discussing a specific character, and wind up speculating on the plans/abilities of another, yeah, that's a diversion of the topic.
Dennis Posted - 18 Nov 2011 : 15:53:55
quote:

Ayrik Posted - 18 Nov 2011 : 09:10:16
The relationship between evil overlords and their offspring (children, clones, AI cyborgs, etc) is complex. The parent wishes for their child to be successful yet (being an overlord) absolutely cannot tolerate any challenge to their power. Family virtues such as treachery, ambition, and ruthlessness are carefully cultivated - yet one must always be careful to ensure such things are always kept in check and underlings are punished for challenging your authority. Nepotism is expected, and yet the parent will also attempt to assassinate his offspring on a regular basis, secretly taking some pride (and worrying for his own life) whenever the child prevails. Such children usually become redundant and belligerent threats when evil research breakthroughs in nanotechnology or brain serum present more immediate methods for achieving immortality.
The Sage Posted - 18 Nov 2011 : 03:39:20
quote:

Didn't all three of those guys - Doom, Manshoon, and Vader - all go after their own offspring and try to kill them? (sometimes successfully).
Doom's focus on his "children" hasn't always been as clear cut as that of other famous villains, like Darth Vader for example. At odd times, Doom has both loved and hated his children. In fact, he owes the return of his current powerful status, largely, to his "spiritual daughter"... Valeria Richards.
Markustay Posted - 18 Nov 2011 : 03:15:21
Which is odd, because I started to become a fan in 2e.

However, I didn't really get into the setting until 3e. Seeing how excellent it was presented in FRCS (and the complete lack of almost any GH products for 3e), I went back through all the 2e products and read them thoroughly (as opposed to my previous perusal for 'juicy bits' I could borrow). Ergo, I was visually 'enchanted' by 3e, and those are the images that stuck with me.

As an aside, I do not feel I am doing Ed or his wonderful Realms a disservice... quite the contrary. Doctor Doom is an excellent villain, whereas Manshoon - as presented in most stories - came off as the leader of the 'keystone cops' (popular misconception, but not without merit). I realize the sourcebooks NEVER gave us this impression, but other sources did make them appear completely incompetent. I would prefer to think of Manshoon as Doom, then the alternative most people seem to fall back on; I realize Ed's Zhents were a real threat, and serious contenders for villainy. Using Doom as a model is doing them justice, IMHO.

Didn't all three of those guys - Doom, Manshoon, and Vader - all go after their own offspring and try to kill them? (sometimes successfully). I am not sure about Manshoon - I know he did in his own family, IIRC, but I'm not sure if he ever had any kids (that he knew of). Doom had that clone... like 'Mini-Me' LOL

Anyhow, I am just not seeing any FR Mage tinkering much with time, considering Mystra's Chosen (policing Toril itself), and outsiders and/or powerful clandestine groups that monitor the timestream and temporal tinkerers. Some limited stuff, sure, but nothing major.
Dennis Posted - 18 Nov 2011 : 03:13:09
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

Since this is my thread, I'm entitled to relate it to anything I want.

Seriously, though, I wish more will be revealed about the Dread Rings. Come to think of it, shouldn't Richard have written a short story in Realms of the Dead featuring Fastrin and his first dabbling with the Dread Rings?

I would have enjoyed that more than the Baeris story

As would I. Though that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy Serpentsong---because I certainly did. And you don't have to say you didn't enjoy it at all, because I know you never like bards in the first place.

lol i even go so far as to slay all of the bards i find in Skyrim. after i save my game of course

Ha! Milil will send his avatars to hunt you down!

On topic, I wonder, has Larloch ever dabbled in chronomancy?

I brought this question to Ed's scroll. And he said no. Doing so would have stripped him of most of his defenses and contingies. Too much risk, too little gain.

Which led me to another question: Is there any prominent archwizard in Toril who dabbled in chronomancy at some point in their long [or short] existence? Or who still does? [Other than Jeriah, of course.]
The Sage Posted - 18 Nov 2011 : 00:47:18
quote:

A dude who pretty much lives in his armor - sorry, that was my first impression of him when I first read about him, and it stuck. It doesn't matter what I have learned since then, I will always think of him as the Realm's Dr. Doom.
I think this is, partly, a mindset a great many folk hold because of the "newer" imagery of Manshoon wearing a mask in some 3e art.

But that's just artistic license. As Ed has said in the past:- " ... the gorget (which of course by its name should be a throat collar, and not any sort of mask) is okay as a distinctive look for ONE of the clones."
Markustay Posted - 17 Nov 2011 : 23:55:07
A dude who pretty much lives in his armor - sorry, that was my first impression of him when I first read about him, and it stuck. It doesn't matter what I have learned since then, I will always think of him as the Realm's Dr. Doom. Most folk who 'do magic' do not even wear armor, so finding Mages who practically live in theirs is rare enough for me to identify them together. Also, the whole "I want to rule because I know can do it better then anyone else" is the kernal of both of their personalities. They do not think they are evil - they think they should be in-charge. They are megalomaniacs.

I don't have a hard time seeing them as the same guy; I have a hard time seeing the differences.

Please - even their enemies look alike (Khelben/Doctor Strange).

Here you go, compare - Doctor Doom with Manshoon. You can even throw this guy into the mix just for fun.

"Oh no! It's a helmeted dude with mystical powers! It's Darth Mandoom!"

Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Nov 2011 : 19:06:01
quote:

The fact that Manshoon looks like a Doctor Doom knock-off (who wears armor AND casts magic, BTW),

Since when does Manshoon look anything like Doom?
Markustay Posted - 17 Nov 2011 : 18:40:19
The fact that Manshoon looks like a Doctor Doom knock-off (who wears armor AND casts magic, BTW), and that Kang the Conqueror is a descendant of Doom, and that Kangs from multiple timestreams banded together to form the Council of cross-time Kangs, and that Immortus - THE Timnelord (of Marvel comics) is the 'ultimate' Kang, just brings this entire discussion full-circle.

I decided that Manshoon might be the Torillian Kang - he just doesn't know it. If he did dabble in time, he would probably be stopped by the council (of other Kangs), so as to STOP creating more divergent time-streams. The Kangs don't want more Kangs, and even within their group there are sub-groups trying to eliminate the others. I distinctly remember Immortus and others 'fixing' time discrepancies to eliminate other kangs popping up.

Then again, Manshoon is more likely Toril's Doom, so some descendant of his would be a Kang (I theorized a daughter in 4e, awhile back on the WotC forums).

Falling back on my 'One World' theory, which is based in-part on Michael Moorcock's own Eternal Champion concept, each being has a counterpart on other worlds, even though on many of those worlds that counterpart may not exist, for whatever reason. It may be that Manshoon is trying to 'seed' other realities with himself, to build his power base. In fact, this may not even be the first time a Faerûnian attempted this - Manshoon may have gotten the idea from Bane (they have similar points of origin - the Moonsea north).

More trans-universal theories of mine - do with them what you will.
The Sage Posted - 17 Nov 2011 : 00:48:57
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Or we could ask how many Manshoons are capable of temporal manipulation or psionics - although that's just needlessly trollish lol.

In all seriousness, this is a topic I've tinkered around with -- mainly from the temporal perspective. I like the idea of a Manshoon clone seeking to manipulate the timestream in an effort to eliminate potential rivals. I mean, that's what the Manshoon Wars were about... "kill all the other clones!"

I've been fleshing out a more specific plotline, following Steven and Ed's thoughts on the subject. Specifically, from Ed:-

quote:
"The multiple clones, hidden all over the Realms (El has threatened Manshoon in published Realmslore that he knows where they all are), each have the levels, memories, etc. they had when created . . . so some of them are of FAR less power than 'more modern' Manshoons (so killing Manshoon DOES harm him). Manshoon adds new clones from time to time, but what happened with the Manshoon Wars was that all (or almost all) of the clones were awakened at once.
In this instance, I've played up the fact that Manshoon had been generating new clones. Then I've shifted a number of them to various crystal spheres [thinking, "the Realms isn't big enough for all these Manshoons"], with one popping up among the Black Robes on Krynn, another disguised as a Guvner of the Fraternity of Order in Sigil, and, several others masquerading elsewhere across the multiverse. Most are focused primarily on becoming "the one true Manshoon" of Realmspace and, thus, plot and scheme accordingly. However, events in other crystal spheres, like the Second Catalcysm on Krynn and the Faction War in Sigil somewhat disrupted the plans of those clones, so I've had to plot alternate pathways of scheming and conquest for them.

That's about as far as I've taken it, but it needs more work.
Ayrik Posted - 16 Nov 2011 : 23:48:13
Or we could ask how many Manshoons are capable of temporal manipulation or psionics - although that's just needlessly trollish lol.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 16 Nov 2011 : 20:12:59
quote:

We could be discussing paladins and Dennis would find a way to squeeze Szass Tam into the thread
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Nov 2011 : 19:12:48
Dennis Posted - 16 Nov 2011 : 16:02:57

Incorrect. He still used Weave-based magic. The Weave wasn't obliterated; it simply unraveled upon the death of its guardian goddess. Magic still worked within the hundred years after the SP. Only, a wizard had to work around certain rules and certain limitations to be able to cast spells. It was this knowledge that Bane gave to the lich. The casting took longer than usual, but it did work. And that's the same knowledge that Szass Tam "shared" with his mind-linked Red Wizard lackeys so they could win and put an end to the 110-year Civil War.
Markustay Posted - 16 Nov 2011 : 15:47:54
Szass Tam also was able to do magic normally when the rest of the world could no longer do so, THUS, he must have found a different way of casting spells then he previously used. Arcane magic no longer worked - whatever deal he made with Bane must have tapped into something else. There is no way possible he was still using Weave-based magic.

You are applying pre-4e rules to a post-spellplague situation.

EDIT: However, I have to admit I know next to nothing about the true situation, so he may have been dabbling with the rings before his (Weave-based) magic failed.

Either way, normal magic-users were ALWAYS able to use shadow magic, way before anyone ever heard of the Shadoweave, and even after it it was created in 3e (from a meta-gaming perspective). You DO NOT have to be a shadow-caster to use shadow magic; that is a common misconception. Necromancers don't even need to know about the Shadoweave for their spells to work.
Dennis Posted - 16 Nov 2011 : 04:52:16
quote:

quote:

I’m reminded of the Dread Rings. Perhaps the purpose of such bastions of power is not exactly to destroy/unmake the world, but to rewind Toril’s [or most likely the entire Crystal Sphere’s] timeframe so that it goes back to the time when no one yet inhabited it, when there were no gods around yet.

Not knowing anything about the Dread Rings, my highly uniformed best-guess would that it taps into the Shadowfel (which I DO misspell intentionally) and stores Umbral (shadow) energy.

That's very unlikely. Szass Tam didn't dabble in shadow magic. Hence, he could not create bastions/wells of power that tap on a kind of magic he does not understand.

When the Spellplague hit Thay and rendered him practically vulnerable, he cast a world window that enable him to see the condition of both the Weave and the Shadow Weave. He once considered studying shadow magic, but upon seeing that both weaves suffered the same fate, he banished the thought, and instead summoned the Black Hand.

If the Dread Rings do tap magic, I would say it's anywhere other than Shadowfell or the planes of existence where shadow magic is predominantly present. Perhaps all the Elemental Planes---the concentrated, combined energies from them would grant him more than enough nukes to obliterate the world/s and the gods. However, I'm still inclined to think that one possible purpose of the Dread Rings is to reset Time. Or, create a whole new ALTERNATE UNIVERSE where the caster [Szass Tam] becomes the overgod. Which would also imply that Szass Tam himself is a chronomancer.
The Sage Posted - 16 Nov 2011 : 00:25:29
quote:

I mentioned that the Chronomancer is like a Time-Lord, but what if he was THE Timelord? Like Immortus from Marvel Comics? Perhaps their is even a council or an entire race that monitors time itself and keeps things 'on-track' (otherwise alternate realities would constantly be born, which would could possibly put a strain on the multiverse).

I no longer own the Chronomancer tome, but wasn't there a group like that? Isn't there also some sort of outsider who goes after people who mess with time? I would also think the Modrons might have something to do with keeping things 'in order'.
You're referring to the Guardians.

They have pledged to preserve the Temporal Prime and the timestreams in that order.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000