Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Computer Games
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

XNedra
Acolyte

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  15:50:00  Show Profile Send XNedra a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am new to playing games on the computer except poker and was wondering what is the best game to start with. Any suggestions as to what to start with. I was told Baldur's Gate but then was told by someone else it might be hard for me as I am not used to playing on the computer. Thanks

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  16:50:34  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The list is hugh!!

But it all depends on how much "Game Play" you want and what type of game play?

Hack 'n Slash
Role play "party control turn based"
Role Play "single person real time"

I always return to my old favorites Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds by SSI. yes they are basic but they are more like actual sit down and play D&D than a generic computer game.

You can buy these in a collection on ebay for about £9.99 + postage

here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORGOTTEN-REALMS-14-Classic-Game-Collection-NEW_W0QQitemZ320084155482QQihZ011QQcategoryZ11050QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

INCLUDES
Eye of the Beholder I
Eye of the Beholder II
Eye of the Beholder III
Hillsfar - Gateway to the Savage Frontier
Treasures of the Savage Frontier
Pool Of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Secret of the Silver Blades
Pools of Darkness

Warning Windows 95/98 needed....

I still play these there great.

I should get some of these sets for MY shop

apart from these the newer Pool of radiance is OK. or Icewind Dale or Baldurs Gate i or II seem popular.

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

XNedra
Acolyte

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  17:52:58  Show Profile Send XNedra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking for a d and d game to play so will look at the ones you suggested thanks again del.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  17:56:04  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd suggest something turn-based as it takes the pressure off making quick decisions.

You might like Temple of Elemental Evil, and it's reasonably new, has 3E rules (maybe 3.5?), and fairly simple
Go to Top of Page

XNedra
Acolyte

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  17:58:30  Show Profile Send XNedra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks will look into that one too.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  19:04:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not like ToEE...but if you want to look into it, go right ahead.

Also, try Neverwinter Nights--you can get endless games from it just by downloading stuff off Neverwinter Vault, or paying a small sum for Bioware's Premium modules.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

XNedra
Acolyte

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  21:11:02  Show Profile Send XNedra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks will take a peek, that is probably better till I get the hang of it.

Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  22:01:07  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by XNedra

I was looking for a d and d game to play so will look at the ones you suggested thanks again del.

anytime

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  02:48:12  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the set won't work on windows XP? Aww..
Go to Top of Page

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  02:49:50  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should by the way, try Neverwinter Nights. Great game. Lots of add ons, and a online world. Lots of 'em too. Some what like MMORPGs with less people :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  03:59:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nokom

So the set won't work on windows XP? Aww..

Yeah, but if you've the time to set it up, you could always set up a dual-boot option... I actually had DOS 6.22, Windows 3.11, and Windows XP all installed on a computer when I was going to school to learn the stuff.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  21:12:01  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So tell me, how does one go about doing that
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  21:38:20  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

isn't it drive partitioning? though with Duo Core Procs now you should be able to multi op quite easily

God windows 3.11 was easier! oh Dos i miss you.
sorry I went prehistoric for a mo

Sorry this is not a techy help desk, I stoped tech support with 95! and were seriously off thread!

Nokom only jesting

Delz

I'm Back!

Edited by - Delzounblood on 22 Feb 2007 21:38:58
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2007 :  14:50:23  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You should by the way, try Neverwinter Nights. Great game. Lots of add ons, and a online world. Lots of 'em too. Some what like MMORPGs with less people :)

The great thing about NWN (both 1&2) is that it provides a toolset and for creative types to build their worlds that players can join for free. The 'DM Client' feature of the game allows for a DM to guide players through campaigns. Such privately hosted "persistent worlds" offer smaller, more closely knit communities, and much stronger DM attention, as opposed to paying a monthly fee to a truly Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game such as Everquest, World of Warcaft, etc. And depending on the NWN server, there can be a much stronger emphasis on roleplaying. There are lots of NWN1 and 2 roleplay-intensive persistent worlds (the later now just emerging, NWN2 is new and building a PW takes time). Naturally, in these PWs there are plenty of monsters to encounter. But the overall emphasis remains squarely on story, character development, and articulating the setting. I've never played a MMORPG, but from what I understand they are geared primarily toward powergaming, and there's typically quite a rift between the 'powergamer' and 'role-player' groups that frequent them.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2007 :  16:35:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember though that there are tons of great single player modules for NWN out there, too. Plenty of people like PWs and multiplayer games, but that isn't the only option.

Just mentioning this because it's often overlooked.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2007 :  17:29:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

quote:

isn't it drive partitioning?

Yup. Partition the drive, put one OS on one partition, and another OS on another partition. Keep in mind that you need enough room for both, and unless you want to sacrifice the contents of the hard drive you're working with, you're better off starting with an empty hard drive.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2007 :  23:03:35  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

quote:

isn't it drive partitioning?

Yup. Partition the drive, put one OS on one partition, and another OS on another partition. Keep in mind that you need enough room for both, and unless you want to sacrifice the contents of the hard drive you're working with, you're better off starting with an empty hard drive.

Aye I thought it was, But it's ben 10 years since I was a Tech Support chained to a desk... It's amazing how much you forget stuff like that!!!

Now Microsoft should build a patch in to Win XP / Vista to make this thing not required so we can easily play older games, face it some are classics!

Mind you trying to bkwds compat XP to BBC Basic might be a stretch! Anyone remember Revs!

But getting back to the point of the thread.... the SSI games I listed above are great for a "near to rolling a dice" game!

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2007 :  15:40:30  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For Microsoft stuff you have virtual machine, if you want to do it the hard way, though VDMS and Dosbox are easier.

There's also Blood & Magic, which is the first FR/D&D strategy game, regardless of what Dragonshard claims.
Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2007 :  16:36:20  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Remember though that there are tons of great single player modules for NWN out there, too. Plenty of people like PWs and multiplayer games, but that isn't the only option.

Just mentioning this because it's often overlooked.

Indeed. I am really enjoying 'Darkness Over Daggerford' at the moment. Its implementation of a world map system, plus the massive amount of quests available really remind me of 'Balder's Gate II'. Definitely worth checking out and, as with a lot of NWN mods, it's actually more engaging and involving than the official campaign.

That said, I play on a PW and that's great too. The fantastic thing with NWN is that there's something for everyone.

All the best!

JDD

"How content that young woman looks, don't you think? How content, and yet how flammable." - Lemony Snicket, The Unauthorized Autobiography
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2007 :  22:34:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J D Dunsany
'Darkness Over Daggerford' at the moment. Its implementation of a world map system, plus the massive amount of quests available really remind me of 'Balder's Gate II'. Definitely worth checking out and, as with a lot of NWN mods, it's actually more engaging and involving than the official campaign.

Oh, definitely! I've played that too, and I can attest to the comparison with Baldur's Gate. Also, I'm sure computer gamers here would enjoy trying out "Wyvern Crown of Cormyr". It's a premium module, so you have to pay for it, but I found it fun, rich in Realmslore and worth the price.

Go to Top of Page

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  06:00:03  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i would try neverwinter nights. the single player aspect of the game is long... very long... but, it's a good game.

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  14:24:42  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baldur's Gate 2. That game was, and is, the most awesome computer game I've ever played.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000