Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Blackstaff: Prologue and Chapters 1 - 9
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  23:51:13  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Blackstaff(Book 1 of The Wizards series), by Steven Schend. Please discuss the prologue and chapters 1 - 9 herein.

Steven Schend will be here to answer any questions and respond to comments

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Lore Seeker
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2006 :  21:11:25  Show Profile  Visit Lore Seeker's Homepage Send Lore Seeker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just picked up a copy yesterday. I am four chapters in and am enjoying it thoroughly. The prologue, specifically, was excellent and exciting! The first few chapters have felt a bit rushed but they get better and better at every page turn. I am anxious to continue reading tonight.

"So let it be written.....that I might read it."
Lore Seeker
Go to Top of Page

Lore Seeker
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  14:23:28  Show Profile  Visit Lore Seeker's Homepage Send Lore Seeker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps I should just edit my first post but alas.....
Now I am up to chapter 8. Things are getting really good. The intrigue and mystery is mounting. I have really enjoyed reading about the secrets and treasures hidden within Blackstaff Tower. Learning a bit about the day to day life for the Archwizard and his apprentices has been very interesting as well. I mentioned the rushed pace of the first few chapters in my previous post, it is just how I felt when reading it and I know the author was just trying to establish the characters early. That is my only negative opinion (and it is a very minor thing, at that). All in all, so far the book is excellent.

Lore Seeker
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  23:02:02  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is just fun. I don't usually have this much fun reading Realms books unless they're written by Ed or Elaine. So far, very well done!

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  00:47:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

This is just fun. I don't usually have this much fun reading Realms books unless they're written by Ed or Elaine. So far, very well done!

Can't wait to read it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  01:15:21  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far the characters are amazing well thought out and dynamic in so many ways. The book is well balanced by not focusing solely on Khelben and thus leaving room for the intrigue. I think Schend really did an excellent job of adding some ritual info concerning the ferret or weasel (I always mix those two up). Plus if you want to know more about Khelben this is the book to read. I am only on Chapter 5 and I am spoiled silly with awesome Realms Lore. Schend's writing is rich and reminicent of Elaine and Ed's writing. Hey, he learned from the best after all. You just got to read this book!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  01:19:16  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can also tell he's spent a good deal of time creating detailed gaming supplements. I'm near the end of the book so I won't write anything specific in this thread, but the sheer number of loose plot threads that are mentioned, manipulated, or grabbed for all they're worth is stunning. My only regret is that he hasn't been able to include Seros, but that's just because Sea of Fallen Stars is my favorite supplement of his.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  01:25:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The anticipation is killing me. I'd better finish up Final Gate...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Lore Seeker
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  13:24:35  Show Profile  Visit Lore Seeker's Homepage Send Lore Seeker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Schend's writing is rich and reminicent of Elaine and Ed's writing.

Indeed. I agree with you 100%.

I just read through the first flashback sequence and I must say WOW! Well done Mr. Schend. Well done.

Lore Seeker
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  13:46:55  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He truly is a master of a damn good story be it a short bit o' lore in a resource book or a novel. I can say novel now. Yay for Writer Schend!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  02:07:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm liking all the little bits of existing Realmslore he assembled... Particularly the reference to Pikar Salibuck's father, who is obviously none other than the late Osco Salibuck! Osco was only around for three pages of one issue of the AD&D comic, and on two of those pages, he was being disintegrated by Xanathar. Still, I've never forgotten that ill-tempered guy, for some reason. 'Twas good to see another reference to the comics.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  16:53:16  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm liking all the little bits of existing Realmslore he assembled... Particularly the reference to Pikar Salibuck's father, who is obviously none other than the late Osco Salibuck! Osco was only around for three pages of one issue of the AD&D comic, and on two of those pages, he was being disintegrated by Xanathar. Still, I've never forgotten that ill-tempered guy, for some reason. 'Twas good to see another reference to the comics.

I knew I knew that name but couldn't place it, thanks Wooly! That was driving me crazy. I have to say I have been pulled into this novel like few I have read, I can't wait to get home and read some more! I find myself thinking about it off and on all day.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  21:38:17  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only read up to chapter 5 of this posting but I have to say that I really enjoyed the look into the life of the students of Blackstaff's tower, that was exactly what I was hoping for from this novel. I can't wait to see where things go from here. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  23:25:05  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"..each family send one or two wizards bearing each of their family's long-dead or long-dormant moonblades."

I just flipped over in my computer chair! That's one way to grab my attention. Hope whatever's going on does further impact Elaine's novel.

Edited by - SirUrza on 14 Jul 2006 23:25:30
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  02:09:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's a sneaky one, that Mr Schend.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  04:03:30  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I just finished chapter 9 and I have to say that I'm pleased thus far. Very easy reading. I know Steven many AD&D Realms supplement but has he ever writen a novel before? This is easy reading, I hope it won't be his last.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  04:15:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Well I just finished chapter 9 and I have to say that I'm pleased thus far. Very easy reading. I know Steven many AD&D Realms supplement but has he ever writen a novel before? This is easy reading, I hope it won't be his last.

It's his first and I said the same thing that you said about him writing another in the Blackstaff novel scroll. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  13:40:46  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jeff and Ed should be proud then. :)

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  00:45:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say I really like this book so far. One of the things I want to say off the bat is that the way that the rogue "villain" is kind of lost in larger events and isn't really intentionally trying to be the source of chaos and destruction is interesting, and in a way, fits thematically with some of the events in City of Splendors. If someone were to read that book, and then this one, and they had no further background in the Realms, it seems to me that they would be pretty impressed at the consistant tone of some aspects of the story regarding Waterdeep.

I have always loved Khelben. He has been my favorite "meddling archmage" over Elminster ever since I firs read Waterdeep and the North. I always liked how Steven presented Waterdeep and its intrigues, and its fun to read something that is entirely story with no "game" element to it. So far, the book really feels solid, and I have to agree with others that have wondered why Steven hasn't written novels before.

One of the things that strikes me about Khelben and Laeral relationship is that it does feel like a real relationship. When Laeral upsets Khelben by saying things in front of the students that he wishes she wouldn't, it imediately puts me in mind of any time that I, as a father, have had to take an authoritarian role and then had my wife make a comment that completely blows the facade. See, just like a real relationship. The other thing that I find interesting is that besides the "real relationship" aspect of the characters, I know that Steven has discussed similarities to Khelben personality and Batman as a character. Laeral seems to serve the "Alfred" role with Khelben (don't read to much into that), in that she agrees with his overall purpose, but she gets concerned when he gets carried away, and tries to act as his "ground" to keep him from going too far out there. And like Alfred, when she sees Khelben's mind made up, she does what she can to aid him and make sure he can accomplish what he is obsessing over.

Tsarra is an interesting character, and it seems fairly apparent that she is going to be nearly as much of a main character as Khelben. Its an interesting (and so far effective) story device to filter what we are finding out about Khelben through the eyes of a less "larger than life" figure than Khelben himself. I have also been intruigued by the familial relashionship between Tsarra and her estranged kin, and it will be interesting to see this play out, and I like the idea that we have gotten some tid bits of elven protocol (in private, you can talk to estranged relatives, but in public, around other elves, you have to remain distant). A tressym for a familiar was a nice touch as well.

Interesting bit of lore about the Church of Oghma using wizards and rogues to "shake loose" secrets that various wizards might want to horde for themselves. An intersting way to show a rogue with a patron of Oghma as well. I like story elements that make sense, but are not easily predicted.

So far, this first section has been very interesting, as well as very well put together. Definately looking forward to diving into the next section of the book. Great work so far Steven.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  21:14:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just cracked this book open, and I quite like it so far. Seems to me like it's written in an "old school" style that I can really get into.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  21:32:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I just cracked this book open, and I quite like it so far. Seems to me like it's written in an "old school" style that I can really get into.

That's what it reminded me of.... the early and mid 2e novels by a few different authors, which are the FR novels I enjoy the most.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  21:34:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

That's what it reminded me of.... the early and mid 2e novels by a few different authors, which are the FR novels I enjoy the most.

I'm starting to think I feel the same way.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  00:55:55  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way it felt to me, it was sort of like halfway between how Ed writes and how Jeff Grubb used to write Realms novels. In fact, since we know what a collaboration between the two of them was like (Cormyr), I have to say its very similar to that, which is a good thing in my book.
Go to Top of Page

msatran
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  02:43:12  Show Profile  Visit msatran's Homepage Send msatran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, actually, I'm not liking this, but not because of events so far. I'm on Chapter 4. I KNOW Mr. Schend can do better than this grammatically. I reread chapter 1 3 times, not because I loved it, but because of all the extra spurious pronouns, I was having trouble figuring out who was who, and who was doing what, and with which, and to whom.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  02:46:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by msatran

Well, actually, I'm not liking this, but not because of events so far. I'm on Chapter 4. I KNOW Mr. Schend can do better than this grammatically. I reread chapter 1 3 times, not because I loved it, but because of all the extra spurious pronouns, I was having trouble figuring out who was who, and who was doing what, and with which, and to whom.

Hmm, you might have a point there. I read the prologue, and it was at times difficult to tell if the author was talking about Arun, or Arun's son. But I don't think it was too big of a deal (at least not yet).

Oh course, the fact that Khelben is at that point nameless--and both men are wizards--doesn't help too much.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 17 Jul 2006 02:47:40
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  02:57:26  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Interesting bit of lore about the Church of Oghma using wizards and rogues to "shake loose" secrets that various wizards might want to horde for themselves. An intersting way to show a rogue with a patron of Oghma as well. I like story elements that make sense, but are not easily predicted.

I know I've read this before, I just forget where it was.

Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  05:44:43  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am near the end of the novel so I must becareful not to spoil anything so I will make general comments. I am really enjoying this novel and I feel that Mr Schend is doing an excellent job. I think I have learned quite a bit more about Waterdeep and Blackstaff as well as Blackstaff tower.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  02:24:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm on Chp 2 now (haven't had much time to read), and I want to confirm my earlier comments. While I am pleased with the feel of the novel and the writing in general, I have to agree that it can be hard to follow what's going on at times, probably because there are so many characters onscreen (Tsarra and seven other apprentices, or more), and a lot of pronoun use.

But I'm having a lot more fun with this book than the last one I read. I even feel like I'm reading it faster, simply because it FEELS like the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  04:50:09  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm on Chp 2 now (haven't had much time to read), and I want to confirm my earlier comments. While I am pleased with the feel of the novel and the writing in general, I have to agree that it can be hard to follow what's going on at times, probably because there are so many characters onscreen (Tsarra and seven other apprentices, or more), and a lot of pronoun use.

But I'm having a lot more fun with this book than the last one I read. I even feel like I'm reading it faster, simply because it FEELS like the Realms.

While I loved the book right from the start, I did get lost a bit right here at the start. Trust me, it gets a lot easier to follow as the book moves forward. There is just a lot to set up, either to introduce those new to all of Steven's ideas, or to remind all of us that read his stuff "back in the day" what was going on, as well as introducing the new characters.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  04:52:26  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, I was remiss in not mentioning in my earlier posts that I absolutely loved the dedication, especially the shout out to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. I did my utmost to picture all of the spells with visable effects manifesting with "Kirby Dots" around them . . .

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 18 Jul 2006 04:52:43
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  05:53:13  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blackstaff is exactly what I expected, and that is a very good thing. The flashbacks, and the link are a perfect way to introduce Khelben's past. It does get a bit confusing at times, but seen through Tsarra's eyes, it needs to be, in a way.
Khelben has always been an interesting character, and I think even the most rabid follower of the Blackstaff is finding out new things.

With a history of gaming materials writing experience, I expected attention to detail on the technical side of the writing, however, I was pleasantly surprised to see the storytelling side of you Steven!

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000