Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Lies of Light: Chapters 34 - 44
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  17:54:33  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Lies of Light, book 2 of The Watercourse Trilogy, by Philip Athans. Please discuss chapters 34-44 herein:

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2006 :  01:43:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting to see that one of the senators is on the Zhentarim payroll, and she is the link to the banelar attack. I also liked the discussion on human thought between the alchemist and Hrothgar.

The speech that the new Ransar gives is interesting, especially given that he throws in Mask and his wisdom. I do like how he doesn't just worship these gods, but takes on aspects of their worship, i.e. when he was a Shar worshiper, he kept it secret. The "trial" of Ivar was an interesting thing and it brings to mind some things about the characters we have been following.

At first I was thinking of Ivar and Willem as opposites, but they really aren't. Willem doesn't really fight for what he really wants, and Ivar doesn't fight until he is pressed into a corner, even when he can see that he is being set upon. They are actually more alike than I first thought. I still think that if they gained some traits from the other, they might be better off. As it is, while both are interesting, neither is really a complete person. Ivar has a hard time showing passion and focusing on anything other than his work, and Willem will throw away everything on his passion, and has no problem with promoting himself even when it has nothing to do with his actual skill or talent.

While Ivar is more sympathetic, he is still flawed, and it makes for an interesting contrast to Willem and some of the other characters.

And finally, Pristoleph returns to the story. He had such a major build up in the begining of the first book, then just kind of dropped out as a factor until now. Interesting to see him back.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  20:07:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

They are actually more alike than I first thought. I still think that if they gained some traits from the other, they might be better off. As it is, while both are interesting, neither is really a complete person.

A very insightful point, and one I am definitely inclined to agree with.

I wouldn't say Ivar is truly flawed though (except in the sense that he doesn't seem like a complete human). I'd find him a lot more interesting if he had some actual (real) human flaws. For example, Athans didn't need to make him a "warrior savant", as you sometimes put it--someone can be a genius at architechture and still run away screaming in fright when a monster shows up to try to kill him.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  21:19:35  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the points I reached in this series was that I enjoyed it much more once I could convince myself that I didn't have to like the protagonists, or even always want them to succeed, I just had to be interested in what was going to happen to them, even if, at times, its almost like watching a train wreck.

I don't mean that in a bad way, I honestly think that this whole series has been set up that way, with a lot of really bad decisions drawing you from scene to scene.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  21:20:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

For example, Athans didn't need to make him a "warrior savant", as you sometimes put it--

Hm, maybe I could copyright that term . . .
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  21:54:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

One of the points I reached in this series was that I enjoyed it much more once I could convince myself that I didn't have to like the protagonists, or even always want them to succeed, I just had to be interested in what was going to happen to them, even if, at times, its almost like watching a train wreck.

I don't mean that in a bad way, I honestly think that this whole series has been set up that way, with a lot of really bad decisions drawing you from scene to scene.

Good point. Trouble is, I'd enjoy this novel (and series) more if I could convince myself that what certain characters do don't have to make sense. Sadly, I cannot, and do not want to, get to that point.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  18:47:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's difficult to like what's happening without liking the characters, as the characters themselves are the movers/cause of whatever's happening. This series has always been in my list of least liked books.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000