Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Distance
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2017 :  15:45:26  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I have my party traveling from Spandeliyon to Cormyr. I need yo figure out if my calculations using the distance program I got from Candlekeep is correct.

So I figured it was about 160 miles, with a movement of 3mph it should take: 40 days 8 hours 20 min

If anyone can double check that I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Aa' lasser en`coialle n`natula brown.

(May the leaves of your life tree never turn brown)

-Elren Wolfsbane

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2017 :  17:58:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are they walking?

Or taking a ship?

Going out now for a few hours - I can check when I return, but I can tell you right now I see a problem - you should be able to cover 30 miles per day, on average (walking).

EDIT: And thinking just a wee bit more on this, 160 sounds WAY too low, even if by sea. Did you mean 1600?

Now I'm off... later taters...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Jan 2017 18:01:52
Go to Top of Page

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2017 :  18:07:16  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, they are taking a ship across the sea. And I measured it the scale on the bottom of the fearun map

Just trying to get my calculations right

-Elren Wolfsbane
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2017 :  23:41:12  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Based upon the FR Atlas it looks to be more like 600 miles.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2017 :  00:18:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are using the 3e map, that scale isn't even accurate unto itself (the colored sections are NOT all the same size).

Suzail: 938 miles (as the crow flies)
Marsember: 906 miles (as the crow flies)

Now, there are 'things' in the way, and its NOT a perfectly straight trip, so adding for that...

Suzail: 945 nautical Miles
Marsember: 915 nautical Miles

So at approx. 80 Miles per day for an average medieval sailing ship -

Suzail: Just shy of 12 days
Marsember: Just shy of 11½ days

EDIT: Although I did avoid landmasses with the second set of numbers, I'm now thinking no sane captain would sail down the center of the pirate isles (unless you want your PCs to have some fun LOL), so I would estimate about about another ½ day to steer far south of them (steering north of them takes you much further out of the way, and also doesn't really help - the pirates are much more active in those waters).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Jan 2017 00:44:55
Go to Top of Page

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2017 :  00:27:21  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I can't believe it's not even up to scalr. Yes I'm using 3e map because they say 5e (after the cataclysm ) would look more like 3e map.

I know they are not going to have a straight trip but I have a npc telling them how long it will take them to get to the Pirate Isle. And it's good to have that calculation for mysel.

Thanks

-Elren Wolfsbane
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2017 :  00:31:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NP

Thats funny - I had edited my above post BECAUSE of the Pirate Isles, before I read your response. The distance from Spandeliyon to the Dragonisle is 325 miles.

Cheers

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Jan 2017 00:33:54
Go to Top of Page

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2017 :  09:36:19  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering what math you're doing to get these results.

And I also need to figure out the exact lunar calander

-Elren Wolfsbane
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2017 :  18:38:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used the FRIA map. I opened up a copy of one in GIMP and then just pasted-in a ruler (literally, a picture of ruler), and then sized the metric side of the ruler so that one cm = 100 miles (using the scale in the FRIA). That means the mm on the ruler = 10 miles.

Then I just move the ruler around to get the numbers I need (when you past it in, you can move it however you like, even rotate it, before anchoring it to a layer... so I just don't anchor it). Although the lines only give me 10 mile increments, I can estimate pretty well when something falls-out between two mm lines (as most stuff does).

I wouldn't bother using the 3e/4e maps because they are inaccurate (since 5e went back to the 1e/2e layout, one can only assume - retroactively - they were inaccurate the entire time). I use the FRIA map, rather then the Fonstad atlas or the 2e map because I can take a snapshot of any part of the world map WITH A SCALE ON IT (and that part is, of course, crucial).

Here is a pic with the ruler pasted-in to that map just so you can see what I am talking about.

You can accomplish the same thing (I used to when I had many physical copies of the maps) by taking that map, printing it out, and then taking a blank piece of white paper and lining the edge of it up with the ruler, and then just copy the little increments (lines) onto the edge of the paper. Then you can just move the piece of paper around the same way I move the ruler in GIMP. If you need me to send you a larger version of the map with the ruler at the very bottom (so its not blocking everything in the center there), let me know. Then you could just print that one and your good to go. In fact, I could probably even use a prettier map for that.

EDIT: As for the lunar calendar, I think there's one somewhere here at Candlekeep - thats not something I really deal with.

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Feb 2017 18:45:29
Go to Top of Page

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2017 :  18:50:12  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. The real question was how far each mm was. I appreciate that

And I'll look up the lunar calander soon

-Elren Wolfsbane
Go to Top of Page

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2017 :  18:54:04  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I found a topic in the forum dealing with the lunar calander

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3019

-Elren Wolfsbane
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000