Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Imbuer
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  07:29:04  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm currently working on a prestige class that focuses on gaining spell-like abilities, and a few supernatural ones, by studying magical creatures. My problem is that I'm unsure what level/how many/uses per day I should grant per level. Also, though the class is an arcane one, many creatures with spell-like abilities have arcane and divine ones. Any advice on how to deal with that?

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.

Edited by - Sourcemaster2 on 02 Apr 2004 05:50:38

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  16:20:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have to be very careful with spell-like abilities. What exactly did you have in mind?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  01:09:02  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm aiming for a PrC that no longer gains spells per day; instead, he acquires spell-like and supernatural abilities. Through his knowledge, various rituals, and even a few wizardly spells, an Imbuer(as I've named the class) mimics the innate magics held by such creatures as dragons, fey, and even demons. The problems I'm faced with are A)Not all (Sp)s and (Su)s are created equal. Some are more useful or powerful than others. Because of this, a value system may be needed-though Supernatural ABs are more balanced than Spell-like. B)Advancement it difficult to place. I don't want to just make a varient sorcerer; I'm trying for a sort of traveling arcane scholar who focuses on magical beings to gain their powers. Some sort of rule system is necessary(obviously)to limit quickly getting high-power spells at the flick of a finger, but I don't want to abandon the basic idea, which is copying innate magic.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  01:15:41  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an outline of the class.

The Imbuer

At some time in their life, all wizards wish for some magic truly their own, powers that don't need study to regain. An Imbuer is a mage that studies magical beings of various kinds to gain powers similar to theirs. By sacrificing the spell advancement they could gain as wizards, they can devote their energies to their unique discipline. Imbuers' lives consist of alternating periods of travel to find the often elusive magical creatures they study, and long stretches of time spent living among or near such beings. They gain spell-like abilities of both arcane and divine nature, as well as several supernatural abilities.

Hit Die d4
Requirements
To qualify to become an imbuer, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Skills: Knowledge(arcana) 15 ranks

Feats: Skill Focus (Knowledge (arcana))

Spells: Able to cast 3rd-level arcane spells

Class Skills
The imbuer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Decipher Script(Int), Search(Int), Sense Motive(Wis), Spot(Wis),

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier

Table: The Imbuer

Level
1st Imbue Magic
2nd Imbue Magic, Greater Gift
3rd Imbue Magic
4th Imbue Magic, Greater Gift
5th Imbue Magic
6th Imbue Magic, Greater Gift
7th Imbue Magic
8th Imbue Magic, Greater Gift
9th Imbue Magic
10th Imbue Magic, Greater Gift

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Imbuers gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spells per Day: When a new Imbuer level is gained, the character does not gain new spells per day.

Imbue Magic: The Imbuer studies magical creatures, and in time gains spell-like abilities like theirs. At every level, an Imbuer can choose one magical creature that he has studied (study requires either extremely extensive academic research or prolonged communication and viewing) whose spell-like abilities to emulate, or gain additional spell-like abilities of a being already studied.

Greater Gift: Through intensive study, an Imbuer gains a supernatural ability of a magical creature he has studied.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  07:22:31  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Sourcemaster2,

I have no idea about any of this, but will make a small suggestion. When it is done, speak to Alaundo, either through mail or by other means, as he is on a crusade to gain realmslore and this might be exactly what he is looking for.

He might not be, but its worth a shot I think. Just thought I would mention it, since he has not been through here yet, heh

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  08:48:37  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MuadDib

Hi Sourcemaster2,

I have no idea about any of this, but will make a small suggestion. When it is done, speak to Alaundo, either through mail or by other means, as he is on a crusade to gain realmslore and this might be exactly what he is looking for.

He might not be, but its worth a shot I think. Just thought I would mention it, since he has not been through here yet, heh

Well met

Indeed, indeed. Any such works are very welcome within the library, at this rate we will have to open up a new room dedicated to holding PrC and Class scrolls

::rubs hands with glee::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  15:23:09  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To start off, Look at it this way, Your class would be played infact post it up here, I think I would like to play it. However I bet you had it in mind to give this class to a magic user. DO NOT DO THAT. Spell like abilities are cancelled out just like magic spells are when it comes to magic resistance and Anti-Magic. Thus, Why not make this class for a Fighter like class, IE they can learn powers that perhaps might have been used on them by others or by other creatures? That right there adds to the spice of the game. It gives the char a reason for even having the Spell like abilities. Not to mention a slightly FF touch. Even better though would be to make this class useable by anyone, Or just make it a CLASS and not a P. Class. Sounds like a better idea to me. However my ideas are not always the best so I thought perhaps you might enjoy an idea or two.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  23:56:07  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did think of making it a class, rather than a PrC, due to the fact that an Imbuer doesn't gain spells per day(as most spellcaster prestige classes do) To counteract the anti-magic factor, maybe I could let an Imbuer choose either an extraordinary or supernatural ability. Since extraordinary abilities function in an anti-magic zone, this would gice the class an added edge. If it became a class, the arcane requirements would of course be abandoned. It could then become a choice for magical scholars who have neither the innate talent for sorcery or the skill for wizardry. If a fighter wanted magical abilities, he or she could choose powers that would aid in battle, such as regeneration, spell resistance, or a few battle-oriented spells.

Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  03:55:36  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For reference, here is a brief description of the kind of powers mentioned above:
Extraordinary Abilities (Ex): Extraordinary abilities are nonmagical. They are, however, not something that just anyone can do or even learn to do without extensive training. Effects or areas that negate or disrupt magic have no effect on extraordinary abilities.
Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): Spell-like abilities, as the name implies, are spells and magical abilities that are very much like spells. Spell-like abilities are subject to spell resistance and dispel magic. They do not function in areas where magic is suppressed or negated (such as an antimagic field).
Supernatural Abilities (Su): Supernatural abilities are magical but not spell-like. Supernatural abilities are not subject to spell resistance and do not function in areas where magic is suppressed or negated (such as an antimagic field). A supernatural ability’s effect cannot be dispelled and is not subject to counterspells.

Whether a class of PrC, the Imbuer gains SUs and EXs. As I said before, not all are equal. I've begun a seperation of supernatural abilities based upon usefulness and raw power implied. They are seperated by level(sound familiar?) Here's what I have so far.

Greater Gifts(Supernatural abilities)

Format: Name(creature posessing it)description

Level 1
Telepathy(many demons, illithids, familiars, pseudodragons)

Level 2
Cloudwalking, Icewalking(Silver and White Dragons, respectively)Walk on clouds(or ice, respectively) as on land

Level 3
Flight(Ogre Mage) Wingless flight at will
Mist Form(Mist Dragon) Gaseous form at will

Level 4
Breath Wepon(Dragon) A breath wepon of some type a certain number of times per day

*note: I'm thinking about limiting the number of abilities of a certain level an Imbuer can have. Suggestions?

If anyone wants to add supernatural abilities, feel free. Please list the creature the power comes from, and if you assign it a level, make sure it matches the general power of the others. I'd appreciate it if, for now at least, everyone limited themselves to official SUs, rather than any homebrewed ones.

Edited by - Sourcemaster2 on 24 Mar 2004 04:01:11
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  05:03:05  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the beginnings of a class chart.

PG: Points Gained: I'm tentatively working on a point system for "buying" spell-like abilities. (point gains to be listed eventually)
*spell level X times per day = point cost

Max Lvl(Sp) is the highest level spell-like ability available at this level.
Max Lvl(Ex or Su) is the highest level extraordinary or supernatural ability available at that level.

*note:The levels that a new Ex/Su are available are the only levels that one can be chosen; at other levels, only Sps are gained.

Level PG Max Lvl(Sp) Max Lvl(Ex or Su)
1-------------1
2------------------------1
3-------------2
4------------------------2
5-------------3
6------------------------3
7-------------4
8------------------------4
9-------------5
10-----------------------5
11------------6
12-----------------------6
13------------7
14-----------------------7
15------------8
16-----------------------8
17------------9
18-----------------------9

Edited by - Sourcemaster2 on 24 Mar 2004 05:17:01
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2004 :  21:30:20  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every level, an Imbuer can choose to either gain new spell-like abilities or to increase the uses per day of one he already has. To do either requires a certain number of "SP Points," which must be spent on attaining a new level. The formula for cost is, as I mentioned before, Spell Level X Uses per day. Thus, a feather fall 1/day would cost 1 point(1 X 1), while a 2/day levitate would cost 4 (2 X 2) The spells an Imbuer has are listed by uses per day, not level. I plan to impose a limit on how many spells per spell level an Imbuer can have, though I'm not sure exactly how to judge what's fair.

note: cantrips/orisons cost 1/2 X uses per day(round down), with a minimum of 1

other note: all spell-like abilities must be chosen from those of an existing or properly created(stats, general info) creature.

Here's the Points Gained table
Level PG
1------4
2------4
3------4
4------6
5------6
6------6
7------8
8------8
9------8
10----10
11----10
12----10
13----12
14----12
15----12
16----14
17----14
18----16
19----16
20----16

Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2004 :  05:22:16  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is dividing the Sus and Exs too complicated? I think that most of the class is fairly balanced, but creating a whole new system of separation could be too much work. As I said before, most such abilities are of more-or-less equal power. Perhaps a set of simple rules could take its place. Also, this sort of totem system I've been tinkering with might be too limiting. It isn't easy to find powerful magical beings, and requiring extensive study of them might be too onerous to tie directly into a class. If anyone wants to offer input, I'm very open to suggestions.

Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2004 :  22:12:37  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally, I think I've finished. Here you go. I'd appreciate any opinions anyone would like to offer.

There are many paths to mastery of magic. Some look to the gods, drawing power from divine sources. Others are born with arcane talents, or study mystic tomes. Another path, only recently discovered, is the magic of the imbuer. Imbuers have a powerful connection with magic. They gain their abilities through study of beings with magical powers, such as dragons, fey, or demons. Even the learned spells of wizards, sorcerers, druids, or clerics can be of interest to them. By gaining a mystical affinity for various kinds of magic, imbuers actually absorb it, giving them certain spell-like abilities. With enough time, an imbuer can even obtain a few supernatural or extraordinary abilities.
The Imbuer

Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d4.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the imbuer.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Imbuers are proficient with the club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, and quarterstaff, but not with any type of armor or shield.

Class Skills
The imbuer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Decipher Script(Int), Search(Int), Sense Motive(Wis), Spot(Wis)

Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

SG(Spells Gained): Every time an Imbuer gains a level, he acquires a certain number of spells per day. These "spell points" can be used to gain either a new spell-like ability or to increase the uses per day of an ability he already possesses. An Imbuer cannot choose spell-like abilities of a level higher than his level allows. The formula for gaining spells is:

*spell level X uses per day = point cost

*orisons or cantrips cost 1/2 the uses per day chosen, with a minimum of 1

Max Lvl(Sp) is the highest level spell-like ability available at this level.

Max Uses: This is the maximum uses per day a spell can be raised to.

*note:The levels that a new Ex/Su are available are the only levels that one can be chosen; at other levels, only (Sp)s are gained.

Level------PG---Max Lvl(Sp)----------Max Uses
1----------4-----1-------------------3
2----------4-------------------------3
3----------4-----2----------(Su)/(Ex)3
4----------6-------------------------4
5----------6-----3-------------------4
6----------6----------------(Su)/(Ex)4
7----------8-----4-------------------5
8----------8-------------------------5
9----------8-----5----------(Su)/(Ex)5
10---------10------------------------6
11---------10----6-------------------6
12---------10---------------(Su)/(Ex)6
13---------12----7-------------------7
14---------12------------------------7
15---------12-----8---------(Su)/(Ex)7
16---------14------------------------8
17---------14-----9------------------8
18---------14---------------(Su)/(Ex)8
19---------16------------------------9
20---------16------------------------9

I think that this method lets a character really define his spellcaster. You can choose enough spells, if you want to, to have quite a versatile list, or you can increase the uses of a particular spell-like ability to gain a steady supply. Either way, you can create a character that blends the wizard's potentially big spell list with the sorcerer's casting per day. This is especially useful for spells that can be vital, but aren't used every day, such as feather fall or locate object.

Edited by - Sourcemaster2 on 01 Apr 2004 04:11:14
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2004 :  00:57:50  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sourcemaster2 stands in the apparently enpty halls of Candlekeep. He strains his ears to hear the barest whisper of the revered scholars. Alas, the silence persists.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2004 :  08:24:11  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry sourcemaster, im not up on 3rd ed rules enough to comment on this, but it does look very interesting and impressive Im sure some of the other scribes will comment on it soon enough (as to where the Sage and Bookwyrm have got to, I have no idea)

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2004 :  18:18:44  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where I've "got to": My computer is down, and I can only get online at the library.

Why I didn't say anything here: I simply don't have anthing to say. I have no way of testing this concept. Sorry.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  03:35:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I apologise for not having commented on your 'Imbuer' PrC Sourcemaster2. Unfortunately, I've been extremely busy with non-Realmslore activities of late, and therefore have had little time to visit Candlekeep.

Although, now that I have a little time to spare and, having looked over the PrC that you have detailed here, it's now apparent that you have put a lot of effort into constructing this class.

If you like, I would be willing to run this class through one of my weekend campaigns (several of my players enjoy play-testing a little too much I think...), and see how it performs in a actual campaign adventure...?

Aside from all of that, have you thought of a different name for the class...? I really not that fond of 'The Imbuer'...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  15:34:17  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The Imbuer" is a little awkward, isn't it? How about the Spellbinder, as he "binds" new magical powers into himself, rather than learning or being given them? Names have never been my specialty, so if anyone wants to suggest one, go ahead.

Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  15:37:36  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About the supernatural and extraordinary abilities, I should mention that no abilities of another class can be chosen. I don't want other classes to lose their unique flavor by giving this one the option of just picking up their powers. The abilities should be chosen from a magical creature of some kind(dragon, fey, demon, ect.) And for the base attack bonus, fort save, I'm sticking with the standard sorerer/wizard, as this class will rely heavily on spells, both arcane and divine(though it is considered an arcane class). And just so everyone is clear, I changed my mind a while ago and made this a class rather than a PrC.

Edited by - Sourcemaster2 on 03 Apr 2004 15:50:20
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  10:01:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Spellbinder' is a little better (although it brings forth to my mind memories of a poorly scripted and inadequately produced adventure show created here in Australia, that deals with magic and demons...). I do believe there is already a 'Spellbinder' PrC listed somewhere though, in a third-party accessory.

I'm curious though, why did you decide to make this an actual core class rather than a PrC? I'm thinking that it may be a little over-powered for a core class.

Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  10:19:05  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I said, I'm terrible with names. If anyone happens to have a good idea, I'll gladly change it. I decided to make it a core class for a truly instinctive magic-user, not one dependent on his type of spellcasting class to define him. In other words, I don't like the arcane-divine spell separation. For clerics it makes sense; they can only have the powers they're given, but there doesn't seem to be a reason(game balance aside) that a wizard can't heal of ressurect like a cleric. After all, he directly manipulates the weave, so why can't he use any spell?!!.....Sourcemaster2 looks around sheepishly as he realizes he's shouting his argument in the sedate halls of Candlekeep.....But I digress. My original idea was to make a wizard PrC who was fascinated with magical creatures, and managed to gain some of their powers through study. After a while, the other way seemed more appropriate, because I liked a class that didn't deal with the standard methods of magic, but instead had a very specialized array of powers. By the way, why do you think the class is overpowered? I'll admit that the Sus and Exs need some modifying rules to keep powergamers from grabbibg huge amounts of advantage, but I think that the spell progression is pretty balanced. You don't get enough spells to blast everything you come across because of the limit of uses per day, and you have to carefully choose new spells because you're stuck with them.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  10:39:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have already identified my concern for the potential abuse of this class by powergamers, so further comment about this on my part is irrelevant.

I'm fascinated though, but the type of thinking that you have employed while constructing this class. In fact, I would like your permission to run it through a few games, just to see how it would handle in a series of different campaign environments (Planescape, Ravenloft, and Dragonlance)?.

Also, I'll ask my group of players to brainstorm a few potential names for this class.

Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  17:31:55  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Feel free, Sage. Especially the part about the name. I'll give the supernatural and extraordinary abilities a bit of tweaking to limit their abuse.

Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  18:18:33  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To prevent too mush powergaming, I divided the Sus and Exs into what can be chosen at what level. Powergaming may still be an issue, but I've tried to give interesting abilities at appropriate levels. It should be noted that a character can choose to take a lower-level ability rather than one of the level he can now access.

Su/Ex 1 (level 3)
Telepathy (Su): A creature with this ability can communicate telepathically with any other creature within 100 feet that has a language. It is possible to address multiple creatures at once telepathically, although maintaining a telepathic conversation with more than one creature at a time is just as difficult as simultaneously speaking and listening to multiple people at the same time.

Low-Light Vision (Ex): A creature with low-light vision can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of shadowy illumination. It retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

Fast Healing 1(Ex): A creature with the fast healing special quality regains hit points at an exceptionally fast rate, usually 1 or more hit points per round, as given in the creature’s entry. Except where noted here, fast healing is just like natural healing. Fast healing does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation, and it does not allow a creature to regrow lost body parts.

Su/Ex 2(level 6)

Gaze (Su): Charm Person, sleep, or command as the spell, useable 3 times per day.

Fast Healing 2(Ex): A creature with the fast healing special quality regains hit points at an exceptionally fast rate, usually 1 or more hit points per round, as given in the creature’s entry. Except where noted here, fast healing is just like natural healing. Fast healing does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation, and it does not allow a creature to regrow lost body parts.

Spell Resistance 2(Ex):A creature with spell resistance can avoid the effects of spells and spell-like abilities that directly affect it.To determine if a spell or spell-like ability works against a creature with spell resistance, the caster must make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level). If the result equals or exceeds the creature’s spell resistance, the spell works normally, although the creature is still allowed a saving throw

Resistance to Energy 2(Ex): A creature with this special quality ignores some damage of the indicated type each time it takes damage of that kind (commonly acid, cold, fire, or electricity). The entry indicates the amount and type of damage ignored.

Disguise Self: A character with this ability can use illusion(as disguise self cast at their class level) to assume another form. This ability lasts for as long as desired, and can be ended at will.

Su/Ex 3(level 9)
Fast Healing 3(see above)

Ray (Su or Sp): This form of special attack works like a ranged attack. Hitting with a ray attack requires a successful ranged touch attack roll, ignoring armor, natural armor, and shield and using the creature’s ranged attack bonus. Ray attacks have no range increment. Maximum range is 30 feet, damage can be 1d8 of fire, cold, or electricity, useable 3+class level times per day

Alternate Form (Su): The character can assume any animal or humanoid form of Medium size or smaller as a standard action three times per day. This ability functions as a polymorph spell cast on itself at its caster level, except that the character does not regain hit points for changing form and can only assume the form of an anirmal or humanoid. The character can remain in its animal or humanoid form until it chooses to assume a new one or return to its natural form.

Su/Ex 4(level 12)

Fast Healing 4(see above)

Water Breathing: A character with this ability can breathe underwater as the spell water breathing, as well as having a speed of 50.

Flight (Su): A creature with this ability can cease or resume flight as a free action. If the ability is supernatural, it becomes ineffective in an antimagic field, and the creature loses its ability to fly for as long as the antimagic effect persists.

Su/Ex 5(level 15)

Regeneration (Ex): A creature with this ability is difficult to kill. Damage dealt to the creature is treated as nonlethal damage. The creature automatically heals nonlethal damage at a 3hp a round. Certain attack forms, typically fire and acid, deal lethal damage to the creature, which doesn’t go away. A regenerating creature that has been rendered unconscious through nonlethal damage can be killed with a coup de grace. The attack cannot be of a type that automatically converts to nonlethal damage.
Attack forms that don’t deal hit point damage ignore regeneration. Regeneration also does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation. Regenerating creatures can regrow lost portions of their bodies and can reattach severed limbs or body parts; details are in the creature’s descriptive text. Severed parts that are not reattached wither and die normally.
A creature must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability.

Su/Ex 6(level 18)
Breath Weapon (Su): A breath weapon attack of an "old" dragon of the character's choice, useable 2+1/4 class level times per day

Edited by - Sourcemaster2 on 04 Apr 2004 19:11:25
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2004 :  13:25:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is definitely an improvement...and it limits the potential for abuse. I like the fact that you've divided the abilities, thus giving the PC a choice into what can be taken at what level. Actually, if nothing else, this alteration has made your design seem more like a core class now, than the PrC it come to represent before...

Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2004 :  20:21:05  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Sage. I was also reviewing the spells gained, and after running through a few levels, I realized that they are too high and rise too quickly. I've since revised it slightly.
Level Spells Gained
1------3
2------3
3------3
4------3
5------5
6------5
7------5
8------5
9------7
10-----7
11-----7
12-----7
13-----9
14-----9
15-----9
16-----9
17-----11
18-----11
19-----11
20-----11

This way, a character can get only a few higher-level spells each level, allowing focus on more versatile magics, rather than just having a host of 1/day blasting spells.

One more revision: The disguise self Su was a little too powerful. I don't want to make it a higher level, so I've decided to make it last 1 hour per class level. It can be dismissed at will, and the time can be divided up however the character wants. This way it's useful, but doesn't give too strong a power at too low a level.

Yet one more revision: The aforementioned Gaze attack will hereafter be called "Forceful Glance" (legalish terms are fun)

Edited by - Sourcemaster2 on 05 Apr 2004 23:51:33
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  20:23:49  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All spellcasting classes have an attribute they are dependent on. Wizards use intelligence, sorcerers/bards charisma, and clerics/druids wisdom. For the (insert good name here) class, the line between arcane and divine doesn't exist, so what would be appropriate? As the class doesn't gain power from a god, I think we can rule out wisdom, and since they don't study their spells, intelligence might not fit either. Charisma seems the best choice. Thoughts, anyone? Besides this issue, I think the (still doesn't have a name) class is just about finished, unless anyone wants to add some abilities to choose from, or, well, a name.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  02:21:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The class is play-testing quite well at the moment Sourcemaster2. So far, there has been little difficulty with incorporating this class into a number of alternate settings.

There's been some ability abuse by some of my players, but that's because they haven't been reading the class abilities properly...

As for names, they haven't come up with anything yet, but I'll provide you with a better round-up of the class once the players reach their next level-up period.

Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  19:18:54  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are two feats for the Nameless Class. Also, Use Magic Device is now a class skill.

Share Ability
Prerequisite: Imbuer level 9
Benefit: This feat allows an Imbuer to extend a supernatural or extrordinary ability with one other being in physical contact with him. This only allows sharing of abilities that affect the Imbuer, such as flight or fast healing.

Imbuer's Gift
Prerequisite: Imbuer level 11
Benefit: This feat enables an Imbuer to grant a being one of his spell-like abilities. Up to one level below tha maximum level he can cast can be gifted, and a creature can only have one Gift at a time.

Edited by - Sourcemaster2 on 09 Apr 2004 21:59:56
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  05:39:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like these feats Sourcemaster2, although don't you think that given the 'great' benefits they bestow, their individual prerequisites should perhaps be a little more strict, say for example, also having a particular ability score requirement? Maybe Charisma for the Share Ability feat, and maybe Constitution (or again maybe Charisma) for the Imbuer's Gift as well.

Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  05:55:26  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That makes sense, Sage. For the Imbuer's Gift, the imbuer must have a Charisma score of at least 17, and the recipient of the ability must have a Charisma score high enough to cast it(11 for 1st, 12 for 2nd, ect.) For the Share Ability feat, the imbuer needs a Charisma score of at least 15.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000