Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New Maps (The Heartlands)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2012 :  04:40:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Western Heartlands Map. Please give feedback. If you see anything at all that looks off, let me know. I am trying a 'softer' look, but I don't want the labels to be too washed-out, so let me know what you think about that as well.
EDIT: Updated version.

This would be considered a 'players Map' - it contains only settlements, geographic features, and other locales that would be considered 'common knowledge'. A DMs Map will be forthcoming. It is almost entirely 1e/2e terrain, but some new roads and settlements (and even a couple of rivers) were given in 3e, and so these were added as well (and I used my best judgement where new features could not be presented precisely the same way on the older map setup). All settlements are canon - if you have any questions please ask.

This is v1.0 - I plan to tidy quite a few things up, but I wanted folks to have something useable in the meantime. I am not sure about labeling roads - hopefully I will be able to fit at least the major ones on the DMs Map (unless I get feedback to the contrary). I am also hoping to get some names for a few things that don't have any, so expect several updates. The final version will include a map key.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Dec 2012 15:34:35

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2012 :  05:20:02  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another awesome map MT! If I owned WotC you would be the man I hired to do my maps!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

PaulBestwick
Seeker

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2012 :  11:02:38  Show Profile Send PaulBestwick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice Markus, looks very good
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2012 :  13:42:49  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks awesome. I'm scanning over it now, but one thing regarding the labeling that I'd like to point out...

It looks like you used transparency for labeling the names of countries. I think it's a bit too transparent. Over all, it's not a problem, but if you look at Luruar the letter "a" is almost completely washed out. Viewing it at 100% you can't really see it.

Most of them look fine, but Luruar really stands out.

You are also missing the labels for some of the mountain ranges in the North. Example: the Sword Mountains (north of Waterdeep), the Star Mountains (in the High Forest), the Spine of the World (south of Icewind Dale), etc.

The Mere of Dead Men (between Leilon and Kheldell on the map) is not labeled. Neither is the Lizard Marsh (south of Daggerford).

Still going over it, but I thought I'd point these out.
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2012 :  13:57:52  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glancing over at the Anauroch Desert - which of course, is only partly shown... I'm curious as to whether or not you have the 2E Anauroch source book? There is a giant map in there that details the desert. It names some of the ranges you have listed, as well as includes features that you don't have.

Additionally, the 3E Silver Marches sourcebook names many of the areas you have unnamed in the region. This map created by someone else names those regions.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2012 :  14:18:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats all the Anauroch locals that showed on that map. The one of the Eastern Heartrlands will show the desert in its entirety with the rest of the locals. Also, I couldn't fit the names 'Moon Lands', 'Cold Vale', etc - too much going on there for a map of this size (there are lots of things there that don't appear on this map that are on my master-map already (like fortresses, ruins, and dungeons). I also still have to figure out how to label the four tributaries to the Delimbyr (they each have a name).

Thanks for pointing-out those Mountains and Marshes/swamps - I'll get on them later. I have to go pick-up $150K right now.

EDIT: Just checked my copy of the posted map (I can see it better) and I realized I still have a 'glow' effect on over the 'A' in Luruar, even though that bit of text is obscured (its a citadel). Unlike PS that allows me to put glow around each label separately. I have to do them by hand with GIMP. I have to switch that effect to the 'DM Glow effect' layer. Only problem is, that means Luruar will be a lot worse on the DMs map (I'll have to figure out a solution... I had considered leaving off the country names altogether, but that would be weird).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Dec 2012 14:26:34
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2012 :  14:59:31  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
150K eh? Congrats on the insurance!

Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2012 :  15:16:03  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem. This is no doubt the most accurate FR map that's ever been created for the region. It pretty much includes everything that I can see.

I'll definitely be using this map.

Congrats on the $150K.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2012 :  21:53:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, not Insurance - still fighting those dweebs.

The money was for the old property. Got way over market value for a tiny plot of land, so I guess some things do work out. The house with the property was probably worth less then $250K, and the Ins. co. already shelled-out 300K for the rebuild, which means I got 450K for a house worth almost half that. I also had to satisfy the remainder of that mortgage, which took a nice bite out of everything (along with a 10% broker's fee!)

Its the contents check I am still fighting over - everything else really just gets applied to the new house and furnishing it. I won't have 'fun money' until that comes in (IF that comes in - they are still saying they don't have to pay for my 'collectibles' because I never had them appraised). At least now I can to go to closing on the house I am in next Thursday - I've been paying rent (with option-to-buy) for the past 9 months. Once thats done, then I can concentrate on proving my case to the Ins. Co. on my contents. I'll be glad when all of this crap is over - its going on TWO years now.

Word of advice - have all your toys appraised.

So I just got home and now I can get back to mapping fantasy worlds, which are so much more fun then the real one.

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Dec 2012 21:53:45
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2012 :  22:10:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Nope, not Insurance - still fighting those dweebs.

The money was for the old property. Got way over market value for a tiny plot of land, so I guess some things do work out. The house with the property was probably worth less then $250K, and the Ins. co. already shelled-out 300K for the rebuild, which means I got 450K for a house worth almost half that. I also had to satisfy the remainder of that mortgage, which took a nice bite out of everything (along with a 10% broker's fee!)

Its the contents check I am still fighting over - everything else really just gets applied to the new house and furnishing it. I won't have 'fun money' until that comes in (IF that comes in - they are still saying they don't have to pay for my 'collectibles' because I never had them appraised). At least now I can to go to closing on the house I am in next Thursday - I've been paying rent (with option-to-buy) for the past 9 months. Once thats done, then I can concentrate on proving my case to the Ins. Co. on my contents. I'll be glad when all of this crap is over - its going on TWO years now.

Word of advice - have all your toys appraised.

So I just got home and now I can get back to mapping fantasy worlds, which are so much more fun then the real one.

My saga was much, much easier than that... Of course, I was also claiming a hell of a lot less! I know that at one point they called, asking about replacing particular manga -- I think the fact that the manga were from Japan and thus not easy to find really threw them!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2012 :  22:35:38  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not spotted anything that looks off, but I did see a typo/misspell: the map has the island of Ruathym spelled Rauthym.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2012 :  23:13:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

My saga was much, much easier than that... Of course, I was also claiming a hell of a lot less! I know that at one point they called, asking about replacing particular manga -- I think the fact that the manga were from Japan and thus not easy to find really threw them!

It is what it is. Like I said, I'll be glad when its all over. I miss my stuff, but I just want to move on.

As for the map... I can't believe I misspelled Ruathym... AGAIN.

On the other hand, I may use that misspelling elsewhere (since there is a range of mountains with that same name for some peculiar reason).

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Dec 2012 04:41:05
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2012 :  23:15:22  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the 'au' combination is pretty common in Realms-names, so it's an understandable mistake by someone who's been poring over the lore.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

daarkknight
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2012 :  02:38:37  Show Profile Send daarkknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The map looks wonderful. And it is extremely well timed, as suddenly my group has decided that they want/need a stronghold "near" Waterdeep.

Near Skull Gorge and the Goblin Marches is the village of Veilstone. However, the peaks nearby are the Veiltone Peaks. I'm going to guess that they should also be the Veilstone Peaks.

"That's it!"
Quote attributed to Talor Stormhammer, paladin of Helm, when fighting a frost giant.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2012 :  04:59:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Veilstone is featured in the module Nightmare Keep. The 'settlement' isn't really a settlement - its a small 'dale' where several tiny settlements exist (much the same way I put 'Ten Towns' to represent the entire region). Some areas were too small and detailed for me to accurately show everything on a map this scale. I plan the same thing for the Valley of Bloodstone.

The mountains were a bit of a misnomer in that early module - the assumption here is that 'Veilstone Peaks' is just the local name for the northern Sunset Peaks. There are two tiny ponds in the area in that valley (Veilstone), and I figure that the two rivers lead to those. The southern pond even shows a river going off the edge of the map. I had to fudge some things right around there to make the history/lore for the region jibe better with the terrain (the gorge needed to be a 'choke point'). How Ladydove survives where it is is beyond me; FR goblins must be pacifists at heart.

The Tunlands is a very well-populated region, apparently. I am still waiting to hear back form BRJ about a couple of places on his 4e Cormyr map - there may even be more before I am through (all the villages in the swamps are on the DMs map, which will come later).

Glad you guys can find it useful - the Eastern Heartlands are up next.

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Dec 2012 05:04:30
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2012 :  20:52:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Updated version.

Added a bunch of stuff I had left off. Hope the country names are a bit easier to see. Keep the feedback coming.

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Dec 2012 21:20:39
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2012 :  23:41:39  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love this map.

Just looking at this map makes me want to run a game.

When I have a bit more free time, I'll try and see if I can find anything else that needs updating.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2012 :  02:30:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words.

quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick

Just looking at this map makes me want to run a game. <snip>
BINGO...

Thats what its all about.

Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2012 :  16:29:55  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
as always a mere thank you doesn't seem enough, great job once again

Bloodstone Lands Sage

Edited by - coach on 09 Dec 2012 16:30:47
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2012 :  17:08:44  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful work!!
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2012 :  20:40:14  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I absolutely cannot wait for the DM map of the Eastern Heartlands.
Should I assume that you lost the map I sent you a long time ago,
and would you like another copy?

Also, I don't know if I can swing it, but would you think about
a not-paid-but-published-mapping gig?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2012 :  15:09:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any maps you have I would appreciate.

If it were for another setting other then FR, I would have to decline for now. When I had Photoshop I was developing my own brushes and styles, which is what I was planning to use for my own setting. Now I will have to start all over with that, but I want to wait until I have PS again because GIMP isn't really robust enough for me to put that much effort into (in other words, I don't want to waste my time developing tools for a piece of software I don't intend to use forever).

Once I have PS again, and those tools built, then I will be open for non-FR projects. What I really want is writing jobs - the maps were just a door-opener.

I realized after I posted that last update that I forgot the three northern passes again {sigh} - Turnstone, Dead Orc, and Fell Pass. I will rectify that on the next update.

Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2012 :  17:43:27  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What, no legend? Just kidding.

I really enjoy how you added all those little hamlets and chalets between all the known settlements. I always wondered if there was anything in between some of those long stretches of road. Good job Markus.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2012 :  20:14:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually have quite a few more I've acquired over the years, both my own and ones I've gotten from other fans. I had considered having yet another map with 'homebrew' locales (to further fill-in some of those empty spots), but decided against thanks to a piece of advice I got at Gencon. Even if I make sure to stipulate it is a non-canon map, it will reappear 'elsewhere' and someone won't realize it and things will get muddled.

The Map Key will appear on the final version.

So this map is all canon (including a couple of locales that haven't yet appeared in canon, but are... trust me). Many other I found in novels, like Rysheos, Asher, Kendil, and Urloth. Often all I have is direction and how long a time it took to travel to get there. Some island names were provided by Ed.

Several clusters of hills were added by me, but in almost every case there was a single hill there in canon, and I thought that odd (since it happened multiple times). My assumpton here is that very little of the The North is truly 'flat' - it is all rolling hills between cluster of foothills (more mountainous type of hills), with hundreds of small valleys and a few large Vales sprinkled in where good farming could occur. Thus, wherever I've added a group of hills the idea is that the normal rolling hills had given way to more rugged terrain. Its is a much subtler shift then the map would make it appear. One example of that is how I did the Hill of Lost Souls - its now in a region of similar rough geography. And in FR, wherever there are hills, there are goblinoids, tombs (with undead), bandits, ruins, lost dwarf delves, hungry monsters, etc, etc... so the more hills the merrier.

The 'DMs Map' really fills in all the blanks. Hopefully I'll have that done soon.

ATM I am very tempted to shrink the south a bit. Not as much as 3e did, but somewhere between the 2e and 3e maps. I'm really fighting that desire, though, because the idea is NOT to 'improve' upon anything (yet). I can't really call a map 'canon' if I've tweaked it more then necessary.

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Dec 2012 20:18:24
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  23:40:13  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty sweet. However I don't see Ulgoth's Beard to the east of Baldur's Gate? Or is that DM only?

Edited by - Razz on 11 Dec 2012 23:43:56
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2012 :  00:01:49  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did your house burn down or something?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2012 :  05:02:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

Did your house burn down or something?
Yup - about 18 months ago.

quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Pretty sweet. However I don't see Ulgoth's Beard to the east of Baldur's Gate? Or is that DM only?
Wow, how could I have missed that?

I probably forgot because its placed differently on the BG-VG map, and I used the VG map to tweak that part of the coast (and except for a small bit of land that stuck out in the bottom left corner that shouldn't have been there, it lined-up pretty decent). So I roughed-in that area, and then tweaked it with the BG map, and then meant to get back to it and I guess I never did. Nice catch - I'll correct that on the next update.

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Dec 2012 05:04:23
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  02:06:36  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL No prob. The only reason I noticed was cause I was just looking at VG to Sword Coast and reading up on Baldur's Gate and finished reading up on Ulgoth's Beard. Saw this map since it will go great with a naval campaign I want to run that will have its beginnings in Baldur's Gate and caught it quick.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  15:40:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was hoping to have something substantial for the holidays for everyone, but I guess I'll just have to wet you appetites -

Eastern Heartlands WIP

The tough part was to get the map in the original (non-FR) Bloodstone project to line-up with the newer maps of Vassa & Damara. If you rotate the regional map in HR1 about 80° counter-clockwise (for North), everything works now (although I had to do a little fudging with the forests, its close-enough IMO for a map of this scale).

The forests in The Vast are also canon (along with everything else). I'd like to thank Lord Bane for pointing me in the direction of the map (pg.145) in the City of Raven's Bluff sourcebook.

This map is FAR from done, so don't bother pointing out missing locales. Not yet, anyway.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Dec 2012 15:42:07
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  16:29:37  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The map is simply amazing!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  17:58:25  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome MT!

As usual you have a great eye for making maps...and this one is going to be one of my all time favorite maps that you have made.

The ONLY thing I would like to see added would be the Quivering Forest north of Phlan.

I hope you have as much fun making these maps as we have using them and simply looking at them!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000