Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Advice: Is this item able to be made?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MaginX
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  05:19:37  Show Profile Send MaginX a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have a character that I want to throw cards as damaging.
There is a 0 Level spell called Launch bolt.

What I want is Gloves that can make a card then aid in giving me the ability to throw it with enough speed to do damage similar to a Xbow bolt.

I know this can be homebrew so any ideas will be helpful.

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  15:49:47  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would the cards be "metallic" and is the shape of the flexible? I could easily see something that would fling a square or hexagonal metallic "card"

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  16:03:09  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would use the spell magic stone as your template, substituting "cards" for "pebbles." Each use would enchant 3 cards. For at will, the cost would be about 2,000 gp (1,000 gp to craft).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 27 Mar 2013 16:03:28
Go to Top of Page

MaginX
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  16:09:57  Show Profile Send MaginX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I could use Magic Stone and Minor creation on a Deck of cards. I will keep this in thought. Its a 3.5 game so it be nice if this was one of his main forms of attack for ranged.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  16:48:33  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MaginX

So I could use Magic Stone and Minor creation on a Deck of cards. I will keep this in thought. Its a 3.5 game so it be nice if this was one of his main forms of attack for ranged.

You might rename magic stone something else, like maybe casting cards. You might want to choose a different creature type that they do more damage to (check the bane magic weapon property for ideas), or just ignore that bit as well. It strikes me as something that would be a level 1 spell on the Bard and Sorcerer/Wizard spell lists. Unless you do not have a deck of cards on hand, I do not know why you would need the minor creation spell.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

MaginX
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  17:04:13  Show Profile Send MaginX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The minor creation spell would create the cards or replace them. I also would need a way to boost it to more than just 3 a day.
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  17:10:48  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are looking for a card based class/kit/what have you, you might also consider Pathfinder's 'Harrower' prestige class as a model for other things your card based character might someday do.

Here's the summary: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/harrower

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  17:13:41  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For damage are you looking at shurikens as a base to work from?

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  17:21:38  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The minor creation spell would create the cards or replace them. I also would need a way to boost it to more than just 3 a day.

something like Jarlaxle's endless supply of daggers from his bracers?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  17:34:06  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A character of mine build with pathfinder can throw anything and add arcane damage to it with his current feat selection and arcane spells. Carrying a pouch with sling bullets allows him to draw ammuntion as a free action, "charge" it with magic as a swift action and full attack with them by throwing them at his enemies.

Drawing a card from a deck of cards might be a tad more tricky, and could concievably cost a move action to do. Taking quick draw could help in that case. But I'd allow drawing of cards as a free action.

A plain playing card would count as a dimintive object, doing 1 damage and would be unable to confer extra damage from ranged attacks by characters with high strength. Smaller cards would be unable to do damage by themselves (fine objects dont do damage when thrown against anyhting). The magic charge could allow these cards to do 2 (up to to 6 at 20th caster level) damage per hit.

Not an effective strategy, but if you want a Gambit build, this comes very close.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

MaginX
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  19:19:31  Show Profile Send MaginX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a full hand of 5 thrown out dealing 1d4+1 (5 cards at least 2 always hit).
I m not trying to do a full fledged gambit. He is a entertainer that uses cards in his show and also when he cast spells. as part of the hand movements he flashes a card and makes it disappear when he cast the spell. He is on the path of Mystra so I think he would have her symbol on his cards. He has Craft Scribe for card making and Craft metalworking for other reasons.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  20:01:44  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He'd better have levels in rogue, a staff and a french accent
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  21:01:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another idea is that he has cards that are essentially use-activated magic items. Throwing them activates them, thus causing a certain magic effect. That magic effect may be to cast a magic missile, fire off a ray of frost, create an acid splash, cast color spray, etc... Then have it that his glove basically summons the card to hand from the special pouch built on the back side of the glove (similar to how a quiver of Ehlonna can automatically bring to hand whatever you need). This would be like a somewhat modified glove of storing, in that it would say hold a maximum of a deck of cards, but you can call whichever card you want to hand. These gloves would also thereby be useful for a cheater as well.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

MaginX
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  23:11:52  Show Profile Send MaginX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooo I like the card glove. The character already can create illusion cards of what ever he see or wants. It was a built in mechanic for a Homebrew game. special ability just for my illusionist.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  16:52:07  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What I proposed above would be 3 cards per use unlimited uses per day. Minor creation would need to be incorporated if you wanted to have an unlimited amount of cards.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:

Edited by - Hawkins on 28 Mar 2013 16:54:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000