Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Forgotten Realms under nonD&D Rules?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  22:20:47  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been toying with the idea of running Forgotten Realms under a different ruleset; particularly Mongoose's "Legend", which is a spinoff of Runequest.

Has anyone on here attempted anything like that before?

How did it go?

Do you have any advice?

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  23:07:32  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've run the Forgotten Realms for about eight years using the GURPS 4e system.

My experience is that the D&D rule-set is not a good fit for the majority of Realms fiction and in order to make it work with Ed Greenwood's original conception of the Realms, a GM must be essentially willing to formally or informally* create a new gaming system on top of it. While later incarnations of D&D did address many of the lacunae in the first edition AD&D rules, they also removed the focus of game-play further and further away from the complex intrigues, deep sense of place and 'mortal-scale'** adventuring of the original Realms.

It is my experience that GURPS, being an adaptable and setting agnostic system of considerable elegance, with the guiding principle of benchmarking against reality but providing customisable mechanisms for any kind of supernatural feats, is well able to handle any kind of Realms feeling for which one might be striving. I am very happy with it.

It is very possible that other setting-agnostic systems out there might also fit your purposes. I don't know 'Legend', specifically, but Runequest ought to be a decent fit, though depending on your needs, some Realms-specific characters, careers or monsters might not translate well or easily.

My advice is to avoid direct system-to-system numeric conversions. Systems provide an imperfect model of a hypothetical ideal which is the reality within the game setting. They are languages for describing something you would no more translate one into the another directly than you'd translate Shakespeare from Swahili into Japanese by running it through a program substituting each word of Swahili for the most common Japanese equivalent.

Instead, mentally translate the statistics in D&D terms into a description that makes sense in setting terms and real-world, i.e. define the character, creature or other element in terms that an inhabitant of the setting would recognise and that tells you its capabilities relative to common things within the setting or in real life. Then use the system you want to use to build such a character or creature.

To take an example of a character, when deciding something simple like an ability score, decide how much stronger (faster, agile, smarter, etc.) than an average man he is, based on the D&D stats, and then assign a number that represents this in the game system you want to use.

*By ad hoc adjudication of each specific situation.
**Such as the original short stories and novels about Conan, the Newhon adventures of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser and even the SF adventures of Nicholas van Rijn.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  03:37:21  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am looking at adapting Castle and Crusaders, it is similar enough that a lot of the iconic second edition spells can be converted over easily. The rule set appears to be pretty light allowing for a great focus on the action of the story and less book diving to settle rules disputes.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  04:00:09  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Icelander's analogy is perfect, an RPG system is basically a language which describes a pseudo-reality, and accurately translating elements or settings between them can be something of a fine art.

It could be said that every gaming table is a unique RPG in itself, a unique language, filled with homebrewed rules, mechanisms, checks and balances. Playing the Realms through an entirely different RPG engine is easily possible, every DM and every author already does something of the sort. True, most of these RPGs are basically just minor variations of by-the-book D&D, but anything is possible - it really just depends on how much time and effort you want to dedicate to the translation task.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 21 Feb 2012 04:01:32
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

187 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  05:27:09  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

I am looking at adapting Castle and Crusaders, it is similar enough that a lot of the iconic second edition spells can be converted over easily. The rule set appears to be pretty light allowing for a great focus on the action of the story and less book diving to settle rules disputes.

Castles & Crusades is almost identical to AD&D as far as spells and whatnot go. A LOT of people use C&C with AD&D stuff and the older settings, particularly FR. Myself included :p
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  05:33:53  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Was in a game that used the Pathfinder rules (technically non-D&D) and found no differences from when we were playing using 3e D&D rules.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  08:18:29  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

I am looking at adapting Castle and Crusaders,

C&C works brilliantly with the Realms, plenty of scope to build, add tweak as necessary and captures the feel of the OGBS edition of the Realms extremely well. I am pleased we are using C&C for the ongoing campaign

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  09:22:30  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. I'll definitely take Icelander's considerations to heart. If you can run it under GURPs, you can run it under BRP. They have very similar capabilities, though they dont have easily comparable mechanics.

As for Pathfinder and Castles and Crusaders, both of those are very similar to standard D&D. Using pathfinder for FR is very simple, but it comes with all the baggage of using 3.5 or Pathfinder, which is something I'm a bit tired of. Castles and Crusades and AD&D aren't versatile enough for my purposes. I'd like to see some simpler Monster/NPC generation, more mortal-powered plot, and maybe a magic system closer to the Realms fiction than Jack Vance, without ditching all of the versatility.

GURPs could theoretically do it, but I'm more a fan of runequest, and the spinoff of runequest "Legend" is a good version of that system in my opinion, and not too specifically attached to any one setting.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

Edited by - Sylrae on 21 Feb 2012 10:28:07
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  12:01:48  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done it (using a Swedish BRP variant that is more straight forward fantasy, but with ducks)and it works just as well as the D&D/D20 rules, if not better. But then I am not a canon person and this was based on TSR Realms, so I am not sure how well it would work with the 3e and later Realms.

I cant think of any specific advice as you seem to already know BRP enough to know any differences, nor can I think of any warnings.

Come to think of it; do you own the BRP monograph that gives a BRP form to a lot of the Ad&d classes and magic? I think its called Classic Fantasy or something like that; most of the information is somewhat redundant if you have played around with the rules a bit before, but there might be a few useful details.

Best of luck.
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  17:42:10  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jorkens. I totally forgot about Classic Fantasy; that might have some useful tidbits even if I'm not using it as my core set of rules. BRP stuff seems to be pretty compatible to mix n match. :)

I heard norwegian people have a harder time understanding swedish than they do the other scandinavian languages (icelandic, danish), is that true?

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  17:52:59  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really. Icelandic is a more direct descendant of old Norse and is not readily understandable by speakers of the other Scandinavian languages. The grammar, syntax and words themselves are very different; believe me I still cringe when thinking about working with it at the university.

The other ones are not that different; Danish is most like Norwegian when read, but is not that easily understood when spoken; Swedish is a bit more different, but easier to understand when spoken. And then there are the spoken dialects, especially in Sweden and Norway, which are often further apart than the national languages. Which means that you can study a Scandinavian language, think you will manage and find out you are in a region where you don't understand a word when they address you.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  18:17:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My mother and aunt speak Estonian, and they can understand about half of what Finnish people say (similar to how Spanish and Italian relate). My Grandmother spoke almost no English, so when I was very young I lived in a bi-lingual home.

On topic:
I loved Runequest, and always felt FR would be a good fit for that system - at least priestly magic. I will have to look into Legend - does it have a separate magic system (for non-priests)?

I really hope that 5e rules will be designed from the ground-up to support FR; 'vanilla' D&D was never a perfect fit. From what I gather, Ed handled magic in much the same way old-school (1e) psionics were handled - people can gain 'wild talents'. Thats pretty cool, IMHO. It was part of the truly excellent balance Ed created (because even an Archmage had to be careful - you never knew when you'd run into some 'village idiot' with Spellfire, or some-such).

EDIT: On the other hand, the new 'rules free' approach to the Realms will help quite a bit with folks wanting to use other rules systems for FR. Not as ideal as a Realms-specific ruleset, but still great for those of us who like options.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Feb 2012 18:36:17
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  21:27:34  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting Jorkens. I've been considering the possibility of moving to a scandinavian country for a few years. I think I'd like any of the countries but sweden (which has apparently been bowing to american pressures for the past 5 years. I've also wanted to learn some scandinavian languages. From what you just said, I think I'd like to learn icelandic, and either norwegian or danish.

@Markustay: Legend so far has 5 different magic systems.
Common Magic, Clerical Magic, Sorcery, Spirit Magic, and Blood magic.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  04:43:27  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ducks, Jorkens? I don't understand your expression or meaning.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  09:11:10  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RuneQuest/BRP Has Duck People as a playable race. lol

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  09:21:55  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like this guy.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  10:14:53  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, nothing like him. Gloranthan ducks are cool; in other words think Carl Barks. And they should be found in the Western Heartlands, somewhere along the Chonthar in my opinion, no campaign setting is complete without them. And some slave driving though tapirs too of course.

As for Scandinavia. This is not the start of a political discussion, but just so it has been mentioned; Norway and Denmark are NATO members, Sweden is outside alliances, so if this is important too you you should do some checking. And in short; Norway has the best jobb-market, but is also the most expensive to live in.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  10:36:49  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try as I might, I cannot picture a very cool duck (other than Howard). I'm not sure I could be persuaded to play one.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  10:52:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Try as I might, I cannot picture a very cool duck (other than Howard). I'm not sure I could be persuaded to play one.

It's not all it's quacked up to be...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  15:34:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, come on. Duck Dodgers is pretty cool looking.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  15:47:46  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its really not that much more silly than cow-people, dog-lizards and other various species with bird heads found in D&D. I really should start goofing around with the realms again and give a version of the ducks as found in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  17:21:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Oh, come on. Duck Dodgers is pretty cool looking.

Indeed. I was also a fan of Launchpad McQuack, myself.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  19:35:48  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Ducks play hockey right?
http://dgirl1989.freeservers.com/images/mdtitle.jpg

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  21:36:56  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

The Ducks play hockey right?
http://dgirl1989.freeservers.com/images/mdtitle.jpg

Yes, but not the mighty ones; they're busy with running the duck nation and its businesses.

Edit: I just realized... I suppose a duck nation whose economy is based on potato farming and maritime industry would be a duck-tater-ship... just saying...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 26 Feb 2012 21:44:30
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  21:51:10  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back on topic: I've heard of FR being run with GURPS, Rolemaster, the OpenD6 system, and even White Wolf's d10 system... not to mention any version of (A)D&D/d20/OGL you care to mention... and I'm hoping that this is something WotC realizes going forward with the Realms... we want lore, not stat blocks. Give us a piece of software to generate a stat block (for any edition) from an Ed-style stat shorthand line (1e/2e), and you'll make a lot of gamers both old and new very happy.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  22:28:18  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk
and I'm hoping that this is something WotC realizes going forward with the Realms... we want lore, not stat blocks. Give us a piece of software to generate a stat block (for any edition) from an Ed-style stat shorthand line (1e/2e), and you'll make a lot of gamers both old and new very happy.

Sounds an excellent idea to me Jakk - am looking forward to the result

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  01:13:43  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Suikoden III.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000