Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 ideas for an underdark adventure
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  12:45:42  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi everyone!

My group and I finished playing a surface campaign and we are going to start a new campaign in Underdark. Our old campaign was dominated by dwarves (since two of my players were dwarves) and bugbears. So this time I wish to arrange something different and unusual for them.

The party roster is something like this:

Drow Oozemaster / Cleric of Ghaunadaur
Tiefling Rogue
Dragonborn Psychic Warrior

These are the characters they told me they'll be playing but it's all are nothing more than a task right now.

They will start the game in a Ched Nasadian outpost near the City of Shimmering Webs and the year is 1371 - Year of the Unstrung Harp.

I am having a hard time to find a overall campaign plot, a quest and hooks for these characters to get together. I'm open for all ideas.

Thanks.

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  14:01:49  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark? Done in the old style I miss so much, there are lots of ideas hiding in the Local Lore and Current Clack sections.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  14:24:14  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll look it up thanks
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  21:28:31  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The Silence of Lolth is right around the corner, and that had some pretty obvious implications for the Underdark. Just like the novels were about a party trying to figure out just what was going on with Lolth, so too can your PCs. Before it happens, you can lay clues that something is going to happen, and then when it actually happens, you can have they trying to figure out the whats/hows/whys/etc.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 25 Feb 2012 21:29:46
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  21:38:08  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could also check out the 2e mega-adventure Night Below. It's geared more toward a group of good surface adventurers, but its core idea, that the aboleth are teaming up with illithids to dominate the world, works just as well underground. As an interesting twist, maybe Ghaunadaur sends visions to his cleric telling the group to actually help the plan work, and the group ends up running interference against increasingly powerful groups of surface adventurers trying to discover and stop the scheme.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  10:58:30  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the ideas! Last night we played our first UD session. It was pretty fun. A lot of time got consumed by character creations so we played only for two hourish. I just wrote a single quest/adventure and a sidequest for them but still I don't know about the main plot/campaign.

They started in a Ched Nasad outpost which is pretty far away from the city. There is a Melarn male in the outpost as the commander of the place and there is a shrine for Lloth and an army of 500 drows and a few spellcasters. There are also some civilians living in the area. Melarn male gave them their first assignment but he was kind of sure that they'll not succeed. There was a statue, an idol of Lloth in the shrine and it got stolen. PCs must find it and bring it back and they'll get paid handsomely. The thing PCs don't know is that the statue has some magic and it actually protects the Outpost against teleportation etc. Kind of like a mini-mythal :D Also they saw a group of drows arguing and interfered, there was a so called wizard around the outpost a few days ago and he sold the civilians some magical items but as soon as the wizard left the items stop working. So PCs should also look for him and bring him or civilan's money to the outpost.

NOW what actually going on is this: my Melarn male (name is Rellard) is a heretic. He worships Vhaerun secretly. And there is a Lolth priestess in the outpost that fallen in love with Rellard. Rellard used the priestess to steal the idol of Lolth and made her hide it somewhere in the nearby caves. The important thing is that no one but a Lloth worshiper can touch the idol. Without the protection of the idol, Rellard arranged a company of orcs and merc duergars to attack the little Outpost and raze it so he can finally return to Ched Nasad and get out of this forsaken outpost. And the priestess doesn't know about these plans, she only does what Rellard tells her to do. Hence the drow proverb: "a female lover is the best magical item" :D BUT there is also another lesser priestess in the outpost and she suspects Rellard's heresy and she saw the other priestess carrying the idol away into the caves so she got a paper and draw a map to give to the PCs so they can get it back and she can gain more power as she returns the idol to the shrine and she'll have the proof of the commander's heresy.

Funny thing is before the priestess had the chance to talk with PCs, the tiefling rogue pickpocketed her to proof his abilities to the other players. He found the map and they started searching the idol and the wizard according to the map.

So I think the story is somewhat promising to be fun and I want to make a story about my Ghaunadaur cleric and make him get a vision or something from his god. How do you think I should make Ghaunadaur a part of this?

Thanks for the replies :D

Edited by - farinal on 26 Feb 2012 11:00:54
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  17:47:47  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Ghaunadaur, in my opinion, is a very underrated deity. I really can't say what it is that I like about it, but I do.

-In terms of goals that Ghaunadaur might have, that it's telling it's servitor Oozemaster to do, you can kind of pick anything. Since Ghaunadaur is pretty alien, in terms of how Forgotten Realms deities think and act, anything can be chalked up to something that it wants. Maybe, since Ched Nasad is a giant cavern, Ghaunadaur wants to fill the entire thing up with ooze, just because it can, and it's weird like that. Or, maybe just the bottom.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  22:09:59  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha, I never thought that. Thanks your answer was really very helpful. I'm really starting to like Ghaunadaur. I think I can make it like this in my game: Ghaunadaur wants to fill that outpost with ooze and slimes and he gives this quest to my player. This is both weird and fun. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000