Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Skipping Novels?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  15:46:37  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello everyone. Like many of you, I have set out to read every Realms book ever published. While most are very enjoyable, there are still a few that are hard to push through. I wanted to get anyone's thoughts on skipping books. I will usually give a book 50 pages of my time before making the decision to stick with it or move on. I would love to read every Realms book front to back, but some of them are just not worth it. Thoughts? I am also curious to see what books others have decided to give up on as well.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  16:55:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've given up on a few Realms books. I give it 100 pages, myself.

I've also avoided most of the novels set in the current, 4E Realms. While I enjoyed the ones I did read, the fact that the setting has changed to something I don't care for made me feel like I was reading something set elsewhere. The books were true to the 4E Realms, but to me the 4E Realms does not feel like prior versions, and that dramatically affected my reading of those books.

I've avoided a few other novels set before then, most particularly the Maztica trilogy. I found it difficult to get thru the Moonshae trilogy, by the same author, so I avoided the Maztica books (a lack of interest in the area also was a factor).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  17:17:18  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hardly give up of any book, as I find it somehow... disrespectful for the writer, just once I gave up a book, in my defense I'll say it was really horrible. I read it through 30 pages until my eyes and brain said "Enough".

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  17:25:28  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

I hardly give up of any book, as I find it somehow... disrespectful for the writer, just once I gave up a book, in my defense I'll say it was really horrible. I read it through 30 pages until my eyes and brain said "Enough".

I actually feel the opposite in that it is disrespectful to the reader for an author to put out a bad book. I understand that no book will make everyone happy, but some of the books i have read make me wonder if even 25% of the readers will enjoy it.

Another thing to consider: Personally i doubt that many people pick up a Realms book looking for a super intellectual read that will blow their mind. Realms books are supposed to be fun, lighter books that are easy reads. However, I have read a few Realms books that i thought were absolutely fantastic. This is always a pleasant surprise.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 13 Sep 2011 17:26:18
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  17:39:26  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

I actually feel the opposite in that it is disrespectful to the reader for an author to put out a bad book. I understand that no book will make everyone happy, but some of the books i have read make me wonder if even 25% of the readers will enjoy it.

Another thing to consider: Personally i doubt that many people pick up a Realms book looking for a super intellectual read that will blow their mind. Realms books are supposed to be fun, lighter books that are easy reads. However, I have read a few Realms books that i thought were absolutely fantastic. This is always a pleasant surprise.

Got to say that, though I understand your point of view, writing a book requires quite a lot of effort, time and, sometimes, pressures from the editors, that is something I have in mind when i read them. It is true, that the books should have a minimal (that is why I rejected that one), but the effort put on them shouldn't be looked over.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  18:05:42  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hello everyone. Like many of you, I have set out to read every Realms book ever published. While most are very enjoyable, there are still a few that are hard to push through. I wanted to get anyone's thoughts on skipping books. I will usually give a book 50 pages of my time before making the decision to stick with it or move on. I would love to read every Realms book front to back, but some of them are just not worth it. Thoughts? I am also curious to see what books others have decided to give up on as well.

I rarely give up on any book. I even forced myself through the wretched Baldur's Gate novelisations.

But I didn't like the Empyrean Odyssey series. I didn't like the characters or what was happening.

I also really didn't care for the Abolethic Soverignty series, at all. Mary Sue galore, superhero powers, and too many plot elements that were just plain dopey. I recently forced myself to finish the series and wish I hadn't bothered.

And I hated the Undead series with a passion. Mostly because I hated the protagonists. Plot armor +50, ridiculous situations, ugh. I still haven't finished it, and might never.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  18:59:59  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
And I hated the Undead series with a passion. Mostly because I hated the protagonists. Plot armor +50, ridiculous situations, ugh. I still haven't finished it, and might never.

Same here. The Undead/Unholy/Unclean books are the only FR series I've ever just given up on part way through. I left my book on an airplane on purpose. And I *loved* the other set in Thay books. *sigh* I've already commented on how stupid Aznar Thrul's character was written in another thread, but that was just the beginning of it.

Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  19:40:27  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far the only book i've given up on in the Realms was Evermeet: Island of the Elves. however it was mostly because i had picked it up the same day that i picked up The Annotated Elminster and i was a bit more interested in Elminster at the time. I did however return to Evermeet and found it quite intriguing once i found out Araushnee was indeed the previous iteration of Lloth.

Is the Haunted Lands trilogy truly so bad? I had thought of possibly picking it up next after i finish the Hunter's Blades trilogy.

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  20:07:16  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seabus Mythforger

So far the only book i've given up on in the Realms was Evermeet: Island of the Elves. however it was mostly because i had picked it up the same day that i picked up The Annotated Elminster and i was a bit more interested in Elminster at the time. I did however return to Evermeet and found it quite intriguing once i found out Araushnee was indeed the previous iteration of Lloth.

Is the Haunted Lands trilogy truly so bad? I had thought of possibly picking it up next after i finish the Hunter's Blades trilogy.

I'm planning myself on picking it and for sure Dennis could give us further info about The Haunted Lands

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  20:15:31  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, I really hated it. But I want to make a caveat here: I loved some of the author's other novels. Here, though, I hated the characters and the situations.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  21:10:16  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think every Trilogy set in the Realms will have those who love it and those who hate it. I JUST finished reading the Haunted Lands Trilogy and personally i thought it was great. Sure, there were parts that i didn't like, but every book is going to be that way.

I think sometimes the pre-set length (300 to ~340 pages)of the Forgotten Realms books forces authors to leave many plot details out just because page space is so precious.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  21:12:17  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Got to say that, though I understand your point of view, writing a book requires quite a lot of effort, time and, sometimes, pressures from the editors, that is something I have in mind when i read them. It is true, that the books should have a minimal (that is why I rejected that one), but the effort put on them shouldn't be looked over.

I think the pressure from the editors is a major factor determining what we ultimately see when the book is released (for better or worse)

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  02:50:10  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've given up on a few Realms books. I give it 100 pages, myself.

Wow. My limit is only 50. I gave up on the second of book of the Empyrean Odyssey, Book 2 of the Shadow of the Avatar trilogy, and Waterdeep. For the second, I only read the first chapter.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  03:00:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm planning myself on picking it and for sure Dennis could give us further info about The Haunted Lands

I loved it. It's one of the best FR series to date. Great character development, evocative writing style, memorable battle scenes, and with a dose of humor and romance. It's the first time ever where you see ALL the zulkirs take active roles and given a fair amount of screen [novel] time. There are several stories within stories, which help make the entire series quite enjoyable. Highly recommended!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  03:56:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like skipping any novels.

Regardless of how difficult or nonsensical I may find a particular novel, I'm always inclined to finish it because I'm a sucker for the fact that either the author may yet still surprise me before the end, or I may simply glean some small snippet or tidbit that I can draw from the story and expand and/or explore elsewhere through my own writings.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  04:15:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Maybe you're just way too optimistic, Sage. I used to exude such optimism, but I realized that life is too short to waste on worthless things.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  04:36:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've never had much need for optimism.

I guess I'm just too much a fan of the written word to consider anything printed to be wasteful.

Granted, I can still be very discriminatory in what I choose to read. But even if I do consider some particular novel a waste of my [current] time, I'll never abandon it completely. I'll set it aside and mentally meander somewhere else for a time. But I will always return to any books I've temporarily stopped reading.

They're on my "To-Do" list, after all.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Sep 2011 04:39:22
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  04:51:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hah! Given what usually happens to the things in your To-Do List, I would say those unfinished books will be revisited twenty years after.

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  06:06:20  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I loved it. It's one of the best FR series to date. Great character development, evocative writing style, memorable battle scenes, and with a dose of humor and romance. It's the first time ever where you see ALL the zulkirs take active roles and given a fair amount of screen [novel] time. There are several stories within stories, which help make the entire series quite enjoyable. Highly recommended!

Okay, I have to ask. How did you not want to constantly choke Bareris to death every single moment?

The bard was like freaking Gilligan on Gilligan's Island, constantly screwing up BIG time and then nothing would happen to him. I hated that character.

I kept wanting Szass Tam to come smack Bareris into a coma and be done with it.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  15:34:49  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

quote:

Okay, I have to ask. How did you not want to constantly choke Bareris to death every single moment?

The bard was like freaking Gilligan on Gilligan's Island, constantly screwing up BIG time and then nothing would happen to him. I hated that character.

I agree with you about Baeris. Every time there was a battle he would use the ultra-repetitive shout technique. It reminded me of friends who would act the same way during a gaming sessions no matter what the circumstance was. I always tried to spice things up a bit my self and ROLE-PLAY

Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  17:42:28  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I start a book I always force myself to finish it, even if I don't like it. However, I do find myself taking an extra couple of days to finish a book I don't like as I find it much harder to stay awake in the evening and as such I sometimes find myself only getting through 40 pages a day.

However, if I do find a book that I found really hard going I do find myself extremely reluctant to purchase any more books from the same author unless I hear really good reviews about it.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  17:59:49  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree with you about Baeris. Every time there was a battle he would use the ultra-repetitive shout technique. It reminded me of friends who would act the same way during a gaming session no matter what the circumstance was. I always tried to spice things up a bit my self and ROLE-PLAY

Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  20:51:30  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I think every Trilogy set in the Realms will have those who love it and those who hate it. I JUST finished reading the Haunted Lands Trilogy and personally i thought it was great. Sure, there were parts that i didn't like, but every book is going to be that way.

I think sometimes the pre-set length (300 to ~340 pages)of the Forgotten Realms books forces authors to leave many plot details out just because page space is so precious.

yeah i've noticed that. i felt that book 3 of the sellswords trilogy could've been more clearly concluded had it been able to go on for another 100 pages or so. it also explains why i sometimes think some of the books feel a bit rushed in areas.

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  21:10:15  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

yeah i've noticed that. i felt that book 3 of the sellswords trilogy could've been more clearly concluded had it been able to go on for another 100 pages or so. it also explains why i sometimes think some of the books feel a bit rushed in areas.

I know a few realms books (Evermeet, and Waterdeep: City of Splendors) were right at 500 pages. Of course these were written by Ed and Elaine so they got some preferential treatment. It would be nice to see the Realms authors given a little more freedom with the length of the books.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  11:58:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know a few realms books (Evermeet, and Waterdeep: City of Splendors) were right at 500 pages. Of course these were written by Ed and Elaine so they got some preferential treatment. It would be nice to see the Realms authors given a little more freedom with the length of the books.

I was very disappointed by Waterdeep: City of Splendors. But I agree that others should also be given freedom with their work's length. Actually, we did have a discussion on that in HERE.

Edited by - Dennis on 20 Sep 2011 12:02:06
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  12:08:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamBridger

However, if I do find a book that I found really hard going I do find myself extremely reluctant to purchase any more books from the same author unless I hear really good reviews about it.

Same here. For instance, I've stayed away from C. Golden after reading the boring-beyond-words Arthas. But occasionally, I make some exceptions, like Thomas Reid. I nearly tore the pages of The Fractured Sky upon reaching the 50th or so page, and told myself not to read any of his FR novels past and future. However, his WotSQ novel was rather decent [and worth my precious time].

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  12:19:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Not only rushed, but sometimes they defy logic as well.

Some of them don't even bother checking on old lore to observe consistency, which of course is not just the author's fault, but more of the editor or the lack thereof.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  12:25:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It's difficult to explain [or justify] without giving away a lot of spoilers. But I guess it's safe to say that something BIG happened to him and not because he screwed big time. In fact, such act was rather heroic. Besides, he was hardly the main focus of the trilogy. The cast was rather huge.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  12:29:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree with you about Baeris. Every time there was a battle he would use the ultra-repetitive shout technique. It reminded me of friends who would act the same way during a gaming sessions no matter what the circumstance was. I always tried to spice things up a bit my self and ROLE-PLAY

In fairness to the author, he did vary [quite creatively, I should add] Bareris's repertoire. And given that bards use their voice to create/manipulate magic, it's just reasonable that most of his offensive and destructive spells were cast with a considerable loudness.

Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:35:19  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will NEVER stop reading a book. It will nag and nag at me until I go back and finish it. And as a result, some books will take me forever, because I get down to 30-50 pages a day. But really with a Realms book, that's still about a week.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  21:17:58  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gave up on the last three in the War of the Spider Queen ones. I was more interested in Ryld and Pharaun, so I'd rather stick to the ones that focus on them. I might read the others eventually, but I'm just not that into the priestesses, who didn't fascinate me the same way - it doesn't help that the series leads up to events I utterly despise, leaving me tempted to 'get out while the getting's good.'

Save a lizard... Ride a drow.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000