Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 I think I got lucky
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seabus Mythforger
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  02:14:13  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So. Here's an interesting thing that usually doesn't happen to me...ever! I was at my local used bookstore this past Friday and happened to be perusing the hardcover fantasy section. I was looking for the first three books of WotSQ to compliment my other 3 hardcovers when I just so happened to run across a copy of Neverwinter!

I thought it was rather early to find a copy of it ANYWHERE let alone a USED book store, but I went ahead and wrapped it in a white-knuckled clench until I got to the check out counter. The cashier either didn't know or didn't notice what the book was and I only ended up paying $12 for it. I got home and told a friend of mine about it who works about an hour or so away from where I live, so he decided he was gonna drop by the Barnes & Noble on his way home from work today and pick one up for himself. He then threatened to kick me in the nuts because they told him it didn't even hit the shelves until October. Sure enough when I opened up to the copyright page it reads "First Printing: October 2011".

Does this happen often? Am I the only one? And how did this happen anyways?? Can someone please shed some answers on this for me?

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  02:38:27  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Twas placed there by the Lord of Knowledge, especially for you. But since it wasn't me, I second the suggestion that you receive a kick in the jimmy.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  02:46:21  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, maybe Oghma and Denerius were looking down favorably upon me that day. Maybe twas a sign that I need to re-purchase Gauntlgrym in hardcover edition as well as Icewind Dale when it becomes available next year. And I'm hoping I do not receive said jimmy kick because that's no fun.

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  02:51:14  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best buckle on your cod-piece just to be safe, there are sure to be many Scribes jealous Oghma has chosen to favor you over them.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 28 Sep 2011 02:55:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  04:38:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Closest I've come to that is when I found The Sum of All Fears in a used bookstore, when it was still new and on the bestseller list.

I just got my copy of the Neverwinter Campaign Setting yesterday. I got it from eBay for $25. It sometimes takes some patience, but I've found some really good deals on eBay.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  06:38:57  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does your copy of Neverwinter say "ARC"? That would be an advance reader copy, which aren't supposed to be for resale.

Could also be a free copy someone parted with for one reason or another.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  07:34:22  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where would it say ARC on it? I haven't seen any marks or blemishes of any sort so far and after finding out I got it a few weeks before hand I've been going through it over and over again and still nothing. Either way I still feel luckier than Rumblebelly using his ruby gem! :)

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  15:17:30  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seabus Mythforger

So. Here's an interesting thing that usually doesn't happen to me...ever! I was at my local used bookstore this past Friday and happened to be perusing the hardcover fantasy section. I was looking for the first three books of WotSQ to compliment my other 3 hardcovers when I just so happened to run across a copy of Neverwinter!

I thought it was rather early to find a copy of it ANYWHERE let alone a USED book store, but I went ahead and wrapped it in a white-knuckled clench until I got to the check out counter. The cashier either didn't know or didn't notice what the book was and I only ended up paying $12 for it. I got home and told a friend of mine about it who works about an hour or so away from where I live, so he decided he was gonna drop by the Barnes & Noble on his way home from work today and pick one up for himself. He then threatened to kick me in the nuts because they told him it didn't even hit the shelves until October. Sure enough when I opened up to the copyright page it reads "First Printing: October 2011".

Does this happen often? Am I the only one? And how did this happen anyways?? Can someone please shed some answers on this for me?

That book store could face a hefty fine for breaking the release date...if reported of course

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  15:24:21  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Does your copy of Neverwinter say "ARC"? That would be an advance reader copy, which aren't supposed to be for resale.

Cheers

All of the ARC's i saw when working at a bookstore were always trade paperback sized. Do they even have hardcover ARC's?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  15:26:29  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

That book store could face a hefty fine for breaking the release date...if reported of course

Lol, nevermind. I re-read your post saying that it was a used book store. Only the chains like B&N and Borders (R.I.P.), etc were subject to those fines.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  15:33:37  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

All of the ARC's i saw when working at a bookstore were always trade paperback sized. Do they even have hardcover ARC's?
Not sure, but it's possible. I found a Windwalker arc in a used bookstore once and thought it might be a similar sitch.

What a fortunate mystery!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  17:41:31  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Cheers

Nope. ARCs are done as trade paperbacks because the print runs are usually pretty small--print on demand is the better way to go for that.

But I might know what happpened: Some big reviewers won't review ARCs, only final printed versions. Publisher's Weekly does this, if I recall correctly. They also want the book several months in advance. Since Neverwinter is the sort of book that stands a good chance of getting reviewed there, it's possible WotC printed it extra early, mailed it out to those reviewers, and one of them decided he or she was done with it a bit too soon.

And then Oghma pointed you in the right direction.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  18:41:59  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well thanks everyone for the feedback. I had thought maybe it had gotten snatched off the back of a truck or something illegal like that and was rather worried when I first posted about it but my curiosity is like that of a cat because I just HAD TO KNOW! Even after posting I had the odd feeling that I might end up having to deal with legal repercussions of which I was not prepared for. But your responses make me feel a bit at ease and I thank you all for that.

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  18:44:38  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, the last time I looked online, I believe the title of the book was "Neverwinter Wood". When was it changed to just "Neverwinter"?

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  19:56:51  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, the last time I looked online, I believe the title of the book was "Neverwinter Wood". When was it changed to just "Neverwinter"?

Your book isn't written is Spanish is it??

Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  20:30:08  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No sir, good ol' fashioned Americanese! :)

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  20:36:53  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A couple months ago, if I'm not mistaken something in the picture on the cover also changed when that happened as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  21:01:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

quote:

A couple months ago, if I'm not mistaken something in the picture on the cover also changed when that happened as well.

A lot of time, particularly with WotC books, the initial cover pics are placeholders.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  21:08:07  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

A lot of time, particularly with WotC books, the initial cover pics are placeholders.

Yeah, I know. And then even the ones that get uses don't entirely look anything like scenes or characters that were described in the actual story anyway. Such teases.
Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  08:25:18  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well on the cover of my Neverwinter it's another epic battle between Drizzt and Entreri but without Artemis' famed jeweled dagger. Not sure why but I also have yet to read Transitions or Gauntlgrym so don't give anything away.

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  13:53:26  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I know. And then even the ones that get uses don't entirely look anything like scenes or characters that were described in the actual story anyway. Such teases.

Yup, very much like concept cars in that regard

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000