Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Streets of Arabel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  06:51:49  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Dear fellow scribes,

I was wonderinmg if any of you might know, what the street in Arabel is called that leads from the East Gate to the High Horn Gate.

The Arabel-map in the 2nd Ed. Sourcebook 'Cormyr' (TSR 9410) shows that this street runs pretty much straight north to south through the entire city. I'd believe this important and many traveled way must have been given a name.

Thanks for your replies on this,

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  08:14:49  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Dear fellow scribes,

I was wonderinmg if any of you might know, what the street in Arabel is called that leads from the East Gate to the High Horn Gate.

The Arabel-map in the 2nd Ed. Sourcebook 'Cormyr' (TSR 9410) shows that this street runs pretty much straight north to south through the entire city. I'd believe this important and many traveled way must have been given a name.

Thanks for your replies on this,

Ergdusch

I checked my FRIA - the street has not been named in there (just to make sure that the FRIA did have street names, I checked the map of Waterdeep - that one does have street names). As far as I know, in 1E and 2E published material, the streets of Arabel have not been named. I've checked Volo's Guide to Cormyr, which does not mention any street names either.

I would say: a question for the Ed.

(BTW - the street from Eastgate to High Horn Gate does not run north-south, but east-west; the map of Arabel in the Cormyr sourcebook is not oriented North side up, even though the compass says it does; if you look at the maps of Cormyr, you'll note that Calantar's way (from Suzail) enters the city through the south wall, and that the road to High Horn leaves Arabel from the west; this error was probably carried over from the 2E boxed set maps; the maps in the Old Grey Box, the Forgotten Realms Adventures Hardcover and the FRIA have the right orientation).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  08:16:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going from memory, but I don't think it's ever been named. Neither the map in Forgotten Realms Adventures, nor the 2e FRCS provides any specific name for the street. And Volo's Guide to Cormyr offers only a vague reference to it, though also unnamed.

I'd say this is one for Ed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Jan 2011 08:17:41
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  14:28:47  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your answers!

I will pass it on to Ed to get the answer - hopefully!

Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  16:13:13  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the answer, provided by THO!

Praise to the Hooded One!

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, Ergdusch,
I can help you with your question.
The streets in Arabel have been named and renamed many times over the years, as the city has broken free of Cormyr, been reconquered, local personages have risen and fallen out of favour, and so on.
However, that main central avenue you speak of is quite clearly labeled on my 1979-era Ed-drawn "home Realms campaign" map of Arabel as:

Thalonder's Ride

(known in daily usage merely as "the Ride" to local citizens)

There you go. Anything to keep a fellow wayfarer in the Realms from getting lost in Arabel. Not that it's huge or hard to STAY lost; it's just that there are some back alleys a traveler wouldn't want to blunder into unprepared.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000