Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Sorcerer --- What did Shar do again?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  18:50:15  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I distinctly remembering Shar being involved towards the end of the series.

I can't remember exactly what it was, though. I remember reading something along the lines of her fully gaining control of the Shadow Weave, correct? How was this accomplished again? It had something to do with the Karse Stone right? Did they steal the whole stone and use it for something? I remember something about her eye appearing during some ritual.

Can someone help me fill in these blanks? Thanks!

Edited by - Razz on 27 Nov 2010 18:50:53

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  18:54:38  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC she took possession of the Karse Stone, which would allow her to ignore Mystra's ban. If that's the case, she hasn't used it yet in canon. I can't remember anything about her control over the Shadow Weave.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2010 :  00:39:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She took the Karse Stone when Shade Enclave started to plummet and before Malik could steal it for his demented god. As to what she used it for, there was no mention.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2010 :  06:19:47  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which novels are these?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2010 :  06:34:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's The Sorcerer, book 3 of the The Return of the Archwizards trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2010 :  07:19:12  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Early 3E Realms novels. They were the beginning of the End of the Realms as we knew them. The start of the Shar, Shade, and Shadowcrap lovefest WotC went on. I enjoyed them btw, just sayin...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2010 :  15:52:13  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see, so she just stole it from Cyric. I thought I remembered reading it was to cement her control over the Shadow Weave, but guess not. I know it was used for the ritual to return the city back to Faerun. Was curious what other use Shar had for it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2010 :  17:22:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

I see, so she just stole it from Cyric. I thought I remembered reading it was to cement her control over the Shadow Weave, but guess not. I know it was used for the ritual to return the city back to Faerun. Was curious what other use Shar had for it.

Huh? Cyric never had it...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  11:10:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, Wooly. Malik was supposed to steal it for him.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  11:56:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recall, Shar was a lesser or intermediate deity of little note back in the day. Not at all the antithetical megapower of the cosmos who balances/opposes pure radiant goody-two-shoes Super Selūne.

And Shar (or Mask, acting something like "Shar's Herald") has been quite active stealing bits of divine power here and there. Are these activities supposed to explain her cosmic promotion?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  13:19:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. Add to that the growing number of her followers and Shadow-Weave spellcasters.

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  21:59:08  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

As I recall, Shar was a lesser or intermediate deity of little note back in the day. Not at all the antithetical megapower of the cosmos who balances/opposes pure radiant goody-two-shoes Super Selūne.

And Shar (or Mask, acting something like "Shar's Herald") has been quite active stealing bits of divine power here and there. Are these activities supposed to explain her cosmic promotion?

not sure how far back were going but going back to one of the old sourcebooks from the mid 90s shar was one of only three greater evil powers along with talos and cyric.if you mean back in the day as in 100s of years ago you might be right.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2010 :  06:07:14  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As per the original FRCS, Shar was a NE Greater Power; incidentally, Selune was, back in the day, only a Lesser Power.

However, they've been enemies ever since the get go, though it seems it was less of an even fight then than it is now: "Shar battles continually with Selune, slaying her often (i.e. every new moon)."

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."

Edited by - Sandro on 30 Nov 2010 06:13:41
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2010 :  06:29:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was Shar's "promotion" to greater power just sort of handwaved?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2010 :  22:55:38  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it's suppose to be secret

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  01:45:25  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Was Shar's "promotion" to greater power just sort of handwaved?

I don't know where handwaving would occur, as, like I said, she's been a Greater Power since the original FRCS -- that is, the Old Grey Box.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  05:32:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder why Selune very rarely had screen time in novels. Her twin always got the attention. She must be really jealous of her farruking sister!

Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  06:51:26  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

I wonder why Selune very rarely had screen time in novels. Her twin always got the attention. She must be really jealous of her farruking sister!

My god man, if you must insist on using such vulgarity, well, stlarn it, I don't even know what to say to you!

Selune, it bears noting, started out as a Lesser Power, back in the OGB, and has always been somewhat overshadowed by Mystra, to whom she's closely linked. Mystra has always been the female goddess of goodness, and so Selune becomes somewhat redundant, whereas Shar can come in as the female goddess of badness; in 3E, she and the Shadovar form a foil for Mystra and her Chosen, which is something Selune could not do.

So, really, it's just simple supply and demand.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  07:55:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are pantheons (at least outside of D&D lore) which have great-all-powerful-creator powers that, having completed their task of creating the universe and all that, are relegated to lesser stature (and power) among their peers. Of course in RL, pantheons tended to constantly evolve as certain gods assumed greater or lesser functions/portfolios and new powers or aspects were adapted from neighbouring/conquered/conquering regions. Not to mention historical influences from authority-based "deiarchies" imposed onto (eventually) logocentric monotheistic pantheons.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 01 Dec 2010 07:56:47
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  09:04:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

My god man, if you must insist on using such vulgarity, well, stlarn it, I don't even know what to say to you!

Selune, it bears noting, started out as a Lesser Power, back in the OGB, and has always been somewhat overshadowed by Mystra, to whom she's closely linked. Mystra has always been the female goddess of goodness, and so Selune becomes somewhat redundant, whereas Shar can come in as the female goddess of badness; in 3E, she and the Shadovar form a foil for Mystra and her Chosen, which is something Selune could not do.

So, really, it's just simple supply and demand.

That's what I thought of course when Mystra was still around. But after the SP, I expected another deity of good alignment to rise and have more screen time in novels to somewhat 'balance' Shar's spreading influence. And I thought the best candidate is her own faruk--- twin!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000