Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Novel Lore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 38

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2020 :  21:00:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Awesome stuff, cheers george, maybe you should release your notes on the novels as well.

So she is approaching 40, and so the 25 years spent adventuring must have overlapped with her 5 years at the academy of arms. Makes sense I suppose to have a bit of work experience while they are training.

The numbers could also be fudged a bit. Maybe it was 26 years adventuring, maybe 4.5 at the academy...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2020 :  21:54:53  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Offers for consideration. When did schooling start?

The academy of arms might be teaching youth?

What I am thinking about is the Hogwarts school Potter went to. He started that School at age Ten.

If the academy of arms is a basic training school for selected students it might make sense as well.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2020 :  22:06:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She was 15 when she met jamil, he enrolled her in the academy straight after. She spent 5 years at the academy and 25 years adventuring.

That's all the detail we have, I think she only got into the academy on kymils say so.

I just came across a passage I keep seeing. The elves are part of the weave, it also said their magic was less affected by the ToT. I've seen elsewhere that the dragons are part of the weave.

Looks like at some point since their arrival on toril someone did some uber magic to make all elves part of the weave itself. I'm gonna guess it happened after the descent of the drow, because they do not use magic the same way as the elves.

Only on page 49 and there is a ton of lore on waterdeep, evereska, evermeet, harpers. I never knew that Harper Agents were not actually harpers (just people used by harpers for specific mission types).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2020 :  22:21:33  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't really understand the difference between harpers and harper agents, because the series the Harpers seems to involve way more harper agents than harpers and half the people with harper pins don't seem to know who they work for or why they are doing what they do, and are usually successful only because of "agents". Also who is giving Kymil his orders the whole time? The Berdusk Harpers? He's an agent and Arilyn is his agent? It's all very convoluded and remains so at the end of the book. I wish she had actually written the Harper tribunal so we could compare it to the one in Song of the Saurials. Detect Truth/Lie spells and rings are such a problem for writers when they have court systems.
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2020 :  23:15:02  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I don't really understand the difference between harpers and harper agents, because the series the Harpers seems to involve way more harper agents than harpers and half the people with harper pins don't seem to know who they work for or why they are doing what they do, and are usually successful only because of "agents". Also who is giving Kymil his orders the whole time? The Berdusk Harpers? He's an agent and Arilyn is his agent? It's all very convoluded and remains so at the end of the book. I wish she had actually written the Harper tribunal so we could compare it to the one in Song of the Saurials. Detect Truth/Lie spells and rings are such a problem for writers when they have court systems.

I totally agree. It's very convoluted. I guess that's the way spy networks operate, the Onion principle. You rarely know who's the local Boss. You only know enough people at your level to barely get the job done. And you may not know anyone at the level below you. I guess it makes infiltration difficult. It sure as hell makes book plots challenging.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  03:35:29  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just came across a passage I keep seeing. The elves are part of the weave, it also said their magic was less affected by the ToT. I've seen elsewhere that the dragons are part of the weave.

Looks like at some point since their arrival on toril someone did some uber magic to make all elves part of the weave itself. I'm gonna guess it happened after the descent of the drow, because they do not use magic the same way as the elves.

Elves being part of the Weave has canon for a while, iirc. Perhaps the curse that caused the drow to descend affected their connection?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  03:58:27  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

quote:

Elves being part of the Weave has canon for a while, iirc. Perhaps the curse that caused the drow to descend affected their connection?

I have seen it discussed here that the Drow are instead connected to the mysterious Faerzress specifically.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  12:16:08  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the risk of being a negative Nelly again...The more I think about it, the more I get mad at Elfshadow's ending. All that needed to be said was "it was Kymil who killed the 20 harpers using a magically created assassin, and he tried to frame Arilyn who was innocent and a convenient scapegoat given her reputation as an assassin with no allegiance". Kymil's motivations could have been rightly stated as anti-Harper because of their allegiance to the Moonflower family in Evermeet. Khelben or Bran or Danilo or Laeral and others could have verified all this (to a Harper tribunal?), as could detect lie spells cast on Arilyn or speak with dead spells cast on Kymil. Both of which are used in other books to verify who is innocent in the REalms and would be available considering the players in this game. The super-top-secret elfgate need never be mentioned to anyone publicly. The contrivance needed for the ending sequence to come together is something I can't get over in this book "Arilyn must not kill him or she'll never be proven innocent!", nor the decision to spare Kymil's life after all his crimes of murdering 20 Harpers are confirmed. Harpers kill other harpers just for turning in their badge in other harper books. Nevermind the whole bit that the elves would ignore regicide and not have him put to death for that, when they slaughter orcs/drow/humans/whoever with abandon for far lesser crimes of just existing. Rant over.

It's still a great book, with a great writer, and tons of great lore and I appreciate all EC has done for the Realms. Love Elfsong, it is brilliant.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  17:10:59  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

I have seen it discussed here that the Drow are instead connected to the mysterious Faerzress specifically.

-The Lady Penitent Trilogy explained that The Descent of the Drow high magic ritual bound the newly created Drow to Faerzress' and created a physical/mental compulsion to stay close to them.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  17:42:49  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

-The Lady Penitent Trilogy explained that The Descent of the Drow high magic ritual bound the newly created Drow to Faerzress' and created a physical/mental compulsion to stay close to them.

Has there been something put out that addresses how Drizzt and the other drow who leave the Underdark are no longer compelled to stay close to Faerzress?

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  19:52:52  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:

quote:

Has there been something put out that addresses how Drizzt and the other drow who leave the Underdark are no longer compelled to stay close to Faerzress?

Yeah! What about a drow raised entirely on the surface and in sunlight? Is either source acceptable?

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  22:48:47  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The events of LP have been retconned/ignored mostly, anyway, so who knows. But Eilistraeens and Vhaeraunites have been living on the surface for a long time, so it's clear the drow can be away from the faezress.

Sweet water and light laughter

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 18 Aug 2020 22:51:34
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2020 :  00:40:53  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-In terms of trying to make sense of things in-universe, there's a bunch of explanations I guess that could make sense. In terms of Eilistareeans and Vhaeaunites, you could say that those respective deities found ways to "reverse the curse" and blessed their followers with it. In terms of lone individuals, you could say that their individual connections to the Weave was weaker, and thus, allowed them to break the connection; or maybe their connections to the Weave were stronger and that allowed them to break the connection. Maybe Liriel Baenre meddling with Yggdrasil's Child had some kind of effect that impacted things.

-A lot of different ways you could go for something that wasn't well thought out like that was.

Elves of Faerûn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 19 Aug 2020 00:42:01
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2020 :  05:10:57  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe Liriel Baenre meddling with Yggdrasil's Child had some kind of effect that impacted things.

Yggdrasil's what? This is something I have to learn about.
Edit: Huh. Neat. Just a whole ton of varied magical sources powering Drow at different times.. Makes me wonder about the distant future. Drow living off of radiation? Off of electricity? Off of radio waves or cosmic winds? Wow..

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

The events of LP have been retconned/ignored mostly, anyway, so who knows. But Eilistraeens and Vhaeraunites have been living on the surface for a long time, so it's clear the drow can be away from the faezress.

Gods giving Drow the energy to live on the surface is fascinating. My party's surface-since-birth Drow Warlock of Ghaunadaur has likely been on a weave life-line for a century or more from their patron.
When they temporarily lose connection with their patron later on in the campaign, does that mean that they will get sickly for a time? At least when not in sunlight?
What does withdrawal from this reverse-engineered weave life-line look like?

Gosh.. thinking about other godly patrons reaching out to them during that time.. I need to learn even more about Eilistrae and Ghaunadaur's rivalry. Would Eilistrae even consider forgiving a servant of her enemy to help them survive being disconnected?

This whole theory of surface-drow's unorthodox life/light sources is truly fascinating.

Wait- if Elves life off the weave and Drow live off of the Faerzress, does that mean one could treat the Faerzress as a weave of magic not un-like the attempted Shadow Weave? Would it be possible for a splinter cell of Drow to become Arcane Domain Clerics of the Faerzress, or Druids of it? Or could the events of the "igniting of the faerzress" that happened in the Rage Of Demons novels have sparked a new generation of sorceror drow?

Seriously, has there ever even been any drow sorcerors? Could help shake up the gender roles if hundreds of drow of all kinds became born as nodes of Faerzress energy and have their souls be further tied into it as a unique weave.
Imagine if that was a long-dormant evolutionary step of the Faerzress, to become a life source of all elves and replace the weave, to live on through them as some advanced entity?
...is the Faerzress older than Mystryl's weave?

Edit: My mind is now racing at the thought of Color-Arranged leylined Realmspace elves becoming sorcerers in the MTG multiverse..

T_P_T

Edited by - PattPlays on 19 Aug 2020 05:30:30
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2020 :  10:50:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’ve rationalized the faerzress magical attachment/compulsion as fading over time. In other words, the magic was potent in -10000 DR when first cast, compelling the dark elves-turned drow to congregate near concentrations of that radiation. As the millennia passed, the potency of that connection wanted but what had occurred in its stead were cultural and social norms for the drow (as well as dose of commonsense in terms of security and power) that saw the initial compelled congregations become the standard existence for the drow. Sure, individuals and groups could break off but they were rare. By the time of Drizzt, there was no magical compulsion, merely an age-old traditional existence in the Underdark that few drow bothered to question.

— George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 19 Aug 2020 10:54:17
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2020 :  22:06:05  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So i'm nearly at the end of Elfshadow and it is another great, right up there with the Wyverns Spur (but hopefully without a netherese enclave appearing at the end). I've got a whopping 16 pages of notes as well and lots of stuff to think on.

I've seen people mention that Kymil is kept alive and they dont like that. To be honest i'm fine with that, to use Gandalf's words "even the very wise cannot see all ends". I'm betting that Kymil was kept alive for what he knows and for potential future uses. It is mentioned in the novel that the events in Elfshadow could set back elven relations for 200 years, and Khelben knows better than anyone that the power of the elves (as few as they are) is mighty indeed, and there may come a time when the humans of the north need the elves to help them turn back another horror (orcs, demons, etc).

The bit that troubles me is the events surrounding Amnestria, Bran etc.
So Amnestria is betrothed to Elaith, he gets rejected and the betrothal is cancelled.
Amnestria is friends with Khelben, Laeral, and Bran (Khelben paints a picture of a time when they were all together).
Bran adventured with Elaith in the Company of the Claw.

At some point Bran and Amnestria get together, get married, and conceive Arilyn (although Bran doesnt know about the conception). I'm guessing Amnestria went to the mainland by ship to do some adventuring and she met up with Elaith again and through him met Bran and Khelben and Laeral.
Elaith probably tips off Zaor and Amlauril about Amnestria and Bran and so Amnestria is recalled. Amnestria makes the Elfgate and uses it to continue to secretly visit Bran, they get married and have a kid.
Zaor is assassinated and Bran and Amnestria are discovered and so is the Elfgate.

In the aftermath the moonblade is broken apart and given to Bran so that he can never see Amnestria again. However Amnestria is also exiled and so Bran can see Amnestria again so i'm guessin the exile happened after the moonblade was broken (and so Bran never knew Amnestria was in Faerun).

Amnestria did however know about Bran and could have found him at any time. I know he went off stalking the Moonshaes for renegade harpers for 40 years, but he would not have been difficult to find.

So the question is, why did Amnestria not try to find Bran. Did they have a falling out (seems a flimsy excuse), was there some magic involved here or threats of death. Or is there another piece of the puzzle here that i am missing????

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2020 :  00:36:22  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So to you it's fine that elves don't execute someone who committed regicide. And it's fine that Harpers, who kill renegade Harpers/agents and send executioners to anyone who even hands in their badge/refuses a mission (see Curse of the Shadowmage in the Harper Series) - would not execute someone who killed 20 Harpers and framed an innocent for it? And Arilyn would let that person live? And that they needed him alive to prove her innocence despite detect lie spells? Despite speak with dead spells? Despite Khelben/Laeral/Bran/etc declaring her innocent to a Harper tribunal?

No. Sorry. The ending makes no sense.

Edit to say I did ask Elaine about this, and she replied that the Harpers "made a mistake". And I guess the elves also "made a mistake". I think if the plot of your novel relies on two incredibly smart and powerful factions making a mistake and not acting rationally in order to function, you've "made a mistake" as a writer. Just my opinion on this point of a very wonderful novel.

Edited by - Seravin on 22 Aug 2020 00:49:24
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2020 :  00:47:34  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also to answer your question I think the reason Amnestria did not try to find Bran is because she didn't ever want the elfgate to activate again; as she wanted Evermeet to be secure. If she found him, knowing she had the sword and he had the gem, it would cause the elfgate to be whole. Which is why Kymil framed Arilyn to get Bran to track her down with the sword and open the gate, right?

The more I think about it, the whole plot of the novel is contrivance from start to finish. Why did Bran not just throw the gem into a volcano or something. Then he could see his love without potentially opening the gate.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2020 :  05:34:11  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I don't see why it would be too problematic that the Royal family doesn't execute him. He is of House Nimesin, which is a branch of House Durothil (admittedly, a minor branch). I could see politics and entanglements like that prompting him to get a stay of execution. I could also see the Queen maybe not wanting to turn him into a martyr for any anti-royal conspirators. Given his crimes, and their relationship with the Harpers, I could see their wants influencing how the Harpers handled things. Just a possibility.

Elves of Faerûn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 22 Aug 2020 05:34:32
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2020 :  05:50:03  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Would Eilistrae even consider forgiving a servant of her enemy to help them survive being disconnected?

Yeah. Empowering the drow to find their own path in the world is actually Eilistraee's main thing, and she does so through both practical and emotional help--though subtly.

That said the drow never needed the faerzress to *survive*; they used to need it for some of their magic (before Liriel played with the Child of the Yggdrasil), but there are entire communities of drow who were born on the surface and live there without any problem. Then again, the faerzress compulsion was a retcon that mattered for less than 1 series (made up of other retcons), and has been re-retconned right after that (if you wanted to include it, other posters offered a way to rationalize it). A compulsion is also not the same as needing something to survive.

And though the elves as a whole are indeed part of the Weave, I was never under the impression that they needed magic to feed. Case in point is that the Spellplague and the Avatar Crisis didn't cause elves in particular to get sick and/or die (OTOH, in the Avatar Crisis, elven magic was less affected).

If your warlock loses connection to Ghaunadaur, they will (at worst) remain without spells (and I'm not even convinced it's the case in the 5e iteration).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 22 Aug 2020 06:15:26
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2020 :  07:39:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I still havent got to the end, but I'm fine with kymil staying alive. Finder was kept alive and imprisoned forever so at this stage of development of the realms the harpers dont kill people for refusing missions.

I'm happy to believe it's all down to politics. Khelben said that politics and perception is important to the harpers, more important than justice. He also made clear how important relations with the elves were (it is probably his influence that allows so many elves to live in waterdeep and act like nobility still).

So the harpers probably hold a tribunal and tribunals involve people making a decision, and people can be influenced.

Kymil had many connections in the Harpers so any of them may have argued in his defence (behind closed doors, whispering in ears of tribunal members), and the elves or indeed even khelben may have wanted kymil alive. The big question is why.

Kymil is one of the last surviving nobles of myth Drannor, a powerful mage, and an awesome fighter. All reasons not to kill him off hand but not enough to keep him alive.

He spent centuries planning the assassination of members of the royalty of Evermeet and has personally trained a network of elite gold elven assassins to accomplish the task. These assassins are still at large and only kymil knows who they are, that is a reason to keep him alive.

Kymil also seems to have spent years working on a moon blade and so far as I know is the only one who had any success in subverting a moon blade away from its wielder (it wasnt a total success but it's a start).
Moon blades were developed in myth Drannor and presumably their secrets were lost in its destruction. Kymil Nimesin may be the only person alive with any real knowledge of moon blades (he may have some long thought knowledge about them he retrieved from myth drannor). That is reason to keep him alive.

So elves want him alive. Khelben probably wants him alive to learn about moon blades from him. So the harpers keep him alive and come up with a lie to cover it up. As with all lies it is often flimsy under examination.

And never forget it's all about people, people make mistakes very very easily.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2020 :  11:39:31  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None of these work for me at all. The reason he wasn't allowed to be killed in the novel given, rather than fan fiction you present, is that they need him to verify that Arilyn isn't the killer. Apparently the ledger of deaths implicates her so strongly because Zhents died for every Harper death. I don't understand this at all, but that's what's given.

This reasoning ignores all the logic of a world where detect lie spells are available, even presuming that Khelben and other Master Harpers are not able to testify because of the secret elfgate problem.

I don't see anyone providing a way around this simple plot hole above. But feel free to explain that to me.

Here's how the Harper tribunal would go:

"Arilyn. You are accused of being the infamous Harper Assassin who has killed 20 of our Harpers. Did you murder these Harpers?" - Cylyria Dragonbreast

"No, I did not kill any Harpers." - Arilyn

<Detect Lie spell indicates Arilyn telling truth>

"Tribunal adjourned, Arilyn didn't do it. Next case." - Cylyeria Dragonbreat

In the novel, we don't know if Kymil will be executed after Arilyn is found innocent, his fate is only known later in Evermeet the novel. So I am actually okay with the novel ending because one could quite rightly assume he's been executed after admitting his ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE crimes. His fate being the same as Finder is a joke, given Finder didn't directly try to murder anyone, and his greatest crime was vanity and verbally and phyiscally abusing a clone-golem. This crime is bad and we know Harpers mean business, cause banishment and erasing a name/songs is not a light sentence. But comparing it to outright murder of 20 people, framing someone, and REGICIDE is another thing. It makes no sense to me, but not a problem for the novel.

Why would Arilyn show any mercy or compassion for Kymil. She wants him dead more than anyone, and kills his protectors with no mercy. His protectors are way more innocent than he is?

No sorry guys, you will never convince me the ending works. Elaine is great, and Elfsong is wonderful. But Elfshadow is problematic. It relies on
- everyone thinking Kymil has to be kept alive to prove Arilyn innocent (wrong)
- Arilyn not killing but killing others, even though he's the one she's actually got a beef with
- Harpers not following the Code of the Harper rules and killing renegades/avenging their dead (which they have no problem with)
- Elves deciding not to execute someone who commits regicide and tries to incite overthrow of the ruling family

That's way too many problems to avoid that could have just been rectified by Arilyn killing Kymil after he admitted his guilt in front of someone else. Evermeet can still work if Lolth resurrected Kymil to lead the rebellion, rather than just Deus Ex Machina freeing him from his prison.

I don't get why people think this is good writing and defend it, but you're free to have your opinion. Saying all these people made mistakes is bad writing. Reeks of season 8 Game of Thrones where the writers just came up with "She kind of forgot".

Edited by - Seravin on 22 Aug 2020 12:24:39
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2020 :  11:51:27  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, if Kymil has all these secret knowledge of Moonblades and secret elf assassin people, him being dead only requires someone to cast Speak with Dead to get the answers he will be compelled to give truthfully by the spell. We've seen Speak with Dead used in other novels at this point. It's in the game rules and in the novel lore. So another plot hole problem.

Further, since we don't know Kymil is alive until Evermeet which was from 1998, it is canon at that point that Harpers kill renegades and people who refuse missions because Code of the Harpers (sourcebook from Ed) makes this clear, and Curse of the Shadowmage came out in 1995.

So any excuse that at the time in publication history it wasn't established that harpers don't kill people for turning down missions isn't correct, given Evermeet came out after the other books and that's where it is known that Kymil wasn't executed.

Edited by - Seravin on 22 Aug 2020 11:55:52
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2020 :  15:28:19  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking amnestria was under a geas of sorts to protect the elfgate from discovery. That's why she lived near it, and why she couldn't go near bran, because uniting the moon blade and moon stone would make it possible to use the gate again which is not protecting it.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2020 :  19:05:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elfshadow (1321 DR to 1361 DR)

1321 DR

Evermeet Lore
Brilliantly coloured kotala birds chattering in the spring flowering trees [prelude]
Peacocks with iridescent blue green eyes on their tail feathers [prelude]
Evermeet Castle, a marvel of enspelled crystal and marble, the centre of grey elf power, surrounded by an enormous maze of boxwood hedges, then the beautiful outer palace gardens. The only way into the maze was through a garden of bellflowers [prelude]
Bellflowers, produce a lovely scent and a faint music that changes pitch and melody at the slightest change to air currents (a good warning system against intruders). [prelude]
The maze winds through many miniature gardens with magic displays depicting events of elven folklore; the birth of the sea elves, the Green Island dragonwar, the elven armada landfall.[prelude]
The Birth of the Sea Elves, a terrible storm that tossed tiny sea vessels about, Umberlee rises from the sea, her white hair flying in the gale. [prelude]
Formal language of the moon elven court, an old tongue spoken seldom outside Evermeet.
Guarded by the elven navy of Queen Amlauril, lethal coral reefs, a host of mysterious creatures allied with the elves, and ever shifting energy fields that could reduce a ship to ashes.[10]
After Zaor’s death, Queen Amlauril became the sole ruler of Evermeet. Princess Amnestria was sent into exile for marrying Bran and having his child. Amnestria added the elfgate power to the moonblade to try and meet with Bran in secret. Fenian used the portal to kill Zaor. The moonblade was broken apart and Bran was given the moonstone. Amnestria was sent into exile and forbidden to reveal the Elfgate.[15, 18]
King Zaor died in the 432nd year of his reign in 1321 DR in springtime (2nd Ches) during the High Tide Festival.[15]

Fenian Ni’Tessine Lore
The assassination of Zaor had spent decades of planning and discussion and over 2 centuries of waiting for the right moment. His target was Amnestria and Bran Skorlsun (a human harper). Fenian accidentally killed Zaor in the maze of Evermeet palace. Amnestria and Bran escaped.[prelude]
Travelled to Evermeet through a portal in an ancient glade just outside the palace, a meadow ringed by ancient oaks. The portal was the Elfgate made by the moonblade, used by Amnestria and Bran to meet in secret [prelude, 18]
Gold elf [prelude]
Slain at the other end of the portal by Kymil Nimesin on 2 Ches 1321 DR [prelude, 18]
Father of Tintagel Ni’Tessine, slain by an arrow bearing Bran’s mark in the mountains around Waterdeep [14]

King Zaor
An old elf, silver eyes, dark blue hair with silver threads, carries a gold medallion bearing the royal crest. [prelude]
Liked gardening in the maze around the palace. [prelude]
Killed by a throwing dagger from Fenian [prelude]

Other Lore
The moon trailed by 9 tiny stars known as the Tears of Selune. [1]
Gray elf, derogatory term used by humans or dwarves, a deadly insult from the lips of another elf. [2]

Evereska Lore
Temple of Hannali Celanil, an enormous structure of marble and moonstone on the city’s highest hill surrounded by gardens that bloomed with flowers and exotic fruits even in late autumn. In the centre of the gardens stands a statue of Hannali Celanil carved of rare white stone (one long fingered hand touching her heart another touching her pointed ear, a common depiction of Hannali). One of the most peaceful places in Evereska [1]
Hannali Celanil, elven goddess of beauty and romantic love [1]
Gold elves are not a common sight in Evereska [1]
Evereska Watch barracks stand at the foot of the hill that the Temple to Hannali Celanil stands on. [1] Crumhorns sound the change of the guard at the barracks. [1]
Half elves cannot study at the Academy of Arms until they are 20-30 (several years after 15 years of age) [1]
The Elfgate was moved to Evereska by Laeral, only Laeral, Queen Amlauril, and the elven lord of the Greycloak Hills Erlan Duirsar.[18]

Arilyn Lore
Arilyn of Evereska, 15 years old, daughter of Z’beryl. Half elf [1]
Z’beryl of Evereska, an elven warrior mage of considerable skill killed by a pair of cutpurses who confessed and were hung from the city’s walled battlements. Her favourite haven was the gardens of Hannali Celanil. Former owner of the moonblade. Once told Arilyn that the elves of Evereska maintain a keen interest in the doings of the Harpers. Blue tinged tinged cheeks and ears, long sapphire braids, blue eyes flecked with gold. Was an instructor at the College of Magic and an instructor at the College of Arms. [1]
Inherited the moonblade from her mother, the only thing she inherited (was Z’beryl poor, did the cutpurses steal everything else???) [1]. The cutpurses were brought to justice (by Bran or the Harpers???)[11]
Arilyn’s elven relatives (mother’s side) questioned whether Z’beryl had the right to leave a moonblade
to a half elf. [1]
Kymil Nimesin was her childhood idol (is he famous, did her mother like and or associate with him???) [1]
White skin, black hair cut short like a boy [1]
5 ft 9 inches tall, slender, strong, agile, gold flecked eyes [1]
Well trained warrior (by her mother), no magical ability [1]
Able to draw the moonblade and survive [1]
Never knew her mother’s family (first met them at the funeral of Z’beryl), they wanted nothing to do with Z’beryl (because of Arilyn), the feeling was mutual [1]
Z’beryl was actually Princess Amnestria of Evermeet. She was sent into exile before Arilyn’s birth and took a new identity (to stop people using her to get access to Evermeet) [11]
Arilyn made a Harper by Bran Skorlsun[Epilogue]

Kymil Nimesin
A tall slender high elf (gold elf), of a noble family who had once held a council seat in Myth Drannor. [1]
Currently a swordsmaster at the Academy of Arms in Evereska [1]
Renowned adventurer and master of arcane battle magic. [1]
Rumours connect him to the Harpers [1]
“Lord” Nimesin [1]
Bronze skin, long golden hair streaked with copper, eyes like polished black marble [1]
Met Z’beryl once or twice during her life (sarcasm, they were both instructors at the Academy of Arms). [1]

Language
Quessir, elvish a term used to describe honourable elven man [1]
Etriel, elvish means noble elven girl. [1]
Quex, elvish means most [5]
“Sweet water and light laughter”, a traditional elven farewell [5]
"Amnestria! Quefirre soora kan izzt?" Amnestria, Can it Really Be You? Said in the formal language of the moon elven court
"A gracious offer, most gratefully accepted," The formal polite response to an invitation
Bran mean raven in the ancient language of the Moonshae Isles (ffolk).[18]

Arilyn’s Moonblade
Allowed Arilyn to draw it without killing her, chose her as the next owner [1]
Z’beryl never seen wielding it (did it reject her or was she afraid to try) [1]
The hilt is missing a moonstone (stolen by cutpurses???) [1]
Can only be handled (while sheathed) if Arilyn gives permission, which is why Z’beryl’s family [1] couldnt take it. [1]
Moonblade’s magical powers develop over time, each wielder invests a new power. [1]
The enspelled moonstone is the source of the magical swords powers. [1]
Blade glows blue to warn of danger approaching. Hums when danger is near. Uses dreamwarning to awaken Arilyn if asleep [3]
Moonblade can create disguises for its wielder, altering clothes and the moonblade’s appearance (make it look like a dagger). Arilyn has practiced a number of disguises with the moonblade (a sembian courtesan) [5]
Cannot be used to draw innocent blood, causes the arm wielding the blade to go numb [6]
Kymil had the missing moonstone replaced with a new cut topaz. [6]
Anyone touching the blade gets blasted by fire [7]
Before 1331 DR, Arilyn’s parents used the magic of the Moonblade to open a portal between the Sword Mountains near Waterdeep and Evermeet. The gate could not be closed and Khelben and his allies had to obscure it and move it elsewhere. Z’beryl was ordered to dismantle the moonblade and Arilyn’s father took the moonstone away with him. If the Moonblade and moonstone are reunited it can be used to unveil the gate to Evermeet again [10]
Has runes in ancient Espruar, most are warded against divination spells (to prevent identification). Unenchanted runes read Elfgate, and Elfshadow.[14]
Protects the wielder from fire, even magic fire [15]
Little is known of Arilyn’s moonblade’s powers. Amnestria inherited it shortly before her exile, from a great aunt who spent most of her time away from Evermeet.[15]
Khelben describes the Elfgate” as a dimensional door (as he does the dimensional door linking Blackstaff Tower to Candlekeep).[16]
In the year 867 by Dalereckoning, I, Ventish of Somlar, met the elven adventurer Zoastria. She sought information concerning the whereabouts of her twin sister Somalee, who disappeared during a sea voyage between Kadish and the Green Island.' ‘Upon occasion, Zoastria was seen in the company of a female elf who was as like to her as a reflection in a pool. She once confided that she could summon the elf to do her bidding, something she did with less frequency during the time I knew her.’ 'Zoastria died without issue, and the moonblade passed to the oldest child of her younger brother. The heir's name was Xenophor.' [16]
“Xenophor had a difference of opinion with a red dragon, and the beast tried to incinerate him. The chronicler notes that Xenophor was unharmed by the blast and was thereafter impervious to fire."
Dar-Hadan, Zoastria's father, was a mage rather than a fighter, so he imbued the sword with blue fire to warn of physical danger.[16]
A saga of elven heroes and the response the magic sword made to each. Finally they traced the line to Thasitalia, a solitary adventurer. The dreamwarning evolved so that she could sleep alone on the road without fear. From the date of Thasitalia's death, they gathered that she had been the great-aunt who had passed the sword to Amnestria.[16]
Seven of the sword's magic powers: rapid strike, glowing to warn of coming danger, silent warning of danger present, dreamwarning, fire resistance, casting illusions over the wielder, elfshadow, and elfgate (added by Amnestria)[16]
The Elfshadow is a blue shadowy version of the wielder and can fight independently with its own shadow version of the moonblade or that actual moonblade (if its wielder drops it).[17]
Active moonblades cannot be separated from the wielder for very long (the wielder dies).[18]
The moonblade activated the Elfgate when it neared. Kymil Nimesin could not see it before (why???) [19]
Kymil Nimesin and Danilo Thann could see the Elfgate, but not Kymil’s students (Kymil is a powerful mage, he is also connected to the moonblade???)[19]
Arilyn’s power is that she can allow friends to touch (and wield???) the moonblade[epilogue]

1361 DR

Sratish Lore
Old man writing memoirs, former Zhent assassin. [2]
Wrinkled skin with unhealthy grey hue, gaunt limbs, bloated belly, rheumy eyes, shaggy eyebrows. [2]
Lives in a room above a tavern, writing his memoirs, in the Heartlands around Darkhold. [2]
Has hand drawn maps of Darkhold. [2]
Sells his information for a very high price (must be in hiding from the Zhents, have secret identities???). [2]
Takes pride in the quality of the information he provides but also has a compulsion to cheat his clients.
Made an enemy of Ashemmi. [2]
Strangled by a female shadowy assassin who burnt the last chapter of his memoirs (about Arilyn). [2]

Arliyn Lore
The Moonblade hums to echo her emotions [2]
Adventurer for 25 years [2]
Five years training at the Academy of Arms in Evereska (what did she do for the other 9 years???) [3]
Zhents slew an envoy of the Church of Sune, murdered the clerics with him and stole some priceless artefacts of the Church. Arilyn was hired (through Kymil???) to retrieve them. [2,3]
Referred to as a Harper and an assassin, has rarely met any Harpers, gets most of her information through Nimesin. Has a deadly reputation, “assassin” was a nickname because those she fought usually died [2, 6]
White skin touched with blue along the cheekbones [2]
Had assumed many identities, once disguised herself as a drow to join a band of drow mercenaries (Bregan Daerthe???) [2]
Has very few friends, even when adventuring kept her comrades at arms length [3]
Was friends with Rafe Silverspur and grieved for his death (for how long, had she known him a while and used him to join the caravan???) [3]
Nearing her 40th winter (dates dont match up, 25 years adventuring and 5 years training after her 15th year makes her 50 at least. Training must include some adventuring???)[3]
Has long felt she was being stalked by an assassin [3]
Raven black curly hair, perfect oval face, sharp, high, cheekbones, delicate features, almond shaped eyes, vivid green (coloured lenses for disguise) flecked with gold [4]
Khelben Arunsun describes her as a Harper Agent, one of the best, but also stubborn, hot headed, unreasonable [4]
Always stops at the Halfway Inn in Evereska to receive assignments and meet contacts [5]
Returned Sune’s artefacts to Kymil, was told by Kymil to search the Harper’s ranks for the Harper Assassin.[5]
Dislikes magic (except for the moonblade), during the Time of Troubles she was part of or working with the Hammerfell Seven, a human adventuring band were completely consumed by a miscast fireball from their mage cast at an ogre during the Time of Troubles [5, 6]
Several months ago Arilyn fought with Harvid Beornigarth for the same prize (item), he lost and has a feud with her [5]
Had stolen horses from the Halfway Inn before, asked Myrin to pay the owner and she reimbursed him later [6]
Friends with Perendra the mage of Waterdeep [5, 6]
Hasn’t assassinated anyone for years, and has never assassinated anyone for the Harpers. She recovers lost items, leads quick strike parties, guards travellers for the Harpers. [6]
Never actually assassinated people, always challenged capable fighters to a duel and killed them [6]
Z’beryl failed to teach her much of the formal language of the moon elven court when she was young (and restless)
Ordered by Kymil many times to stay well away from Elaith.
Knows Nain Keenwhistle and Loene from the Company of Crazed Adventurers. Knows the secret knocking signal used by all members of the Company to identify themselves [9]
Arilyn’s father is human (more or less) [10]
Arilyn adventured with Clion (a charming red haired rogue, and Raymid of Voonlar, nearly 15 years ago. Introduced them both to Kymil Nimesin because of their skill as adventurers. [14]
Arilyn and Clion and Raymid trained at the Waterdeep Academy of Arms around 15 years ago [14]
Arilyn knows Khelben Blackstaff and has been in Blackstaff Tower (through the Harpers???)[15, 16]

Darkhold Lore
During 1360 DR, when the crusade against the Tuigans was ongoing, Darkhold strengthened its position and forced the surrounding settlements to sign treaties preventing them from taking any hostile action against Darkhold (their mercenary raiding parties are not covered by the treaty), so Darkhold has been using mercs to raid caravans and settlements for miles around. They stole artefacts from the Church of Sune. [2]
Cherbill Nimmt, led the raiding party that murdered the clerics of Sune and stole the artefacts. [2]
Darkhold sits in the centre of the Vale of Darkhold surrounded by cliffs, 60 to 100 ft high. Slaves keep the cliffs clear of bushes and any other cover (nowhere to hide). Perimeter wall sits at the western end of the cliffs, the only safe way into the Vale of Darkhold is a gate through the wall, too well guarded to sneak through. Darkhold has some wards against certain types of magic but not against drow magic (invisibility) [2]
A female drow once sneaked into Darkhold using a piwafwi of invisibility (kept as a , it doesnt function inside Darkhold itself [2]
A few acres of trees and a rocky stream in the eastern side of the Vale of Darkhold [2]
Merchant caravans sometimes stop at Darkhold to trade (often camping inside the perimeter wall, which is safe from monster but not the Zhentarim). Darkhold trades for what it cannot find from raiding. [3]
A moat surrounds Darkhold, it is filled with dangerous creatures including piranha like fish. [3]
Darkhold was built by giants centuries ago, has since housed giants and an undead mage before being conquered and inhabited by the Zhentarim. [3]
Postern Gate Tower, a small copse of trees beneath it [3]
Visitors’ Tower, part of the outer wall, used to house guests to dangerous to allow into the castle proper. Third level of the tower houses the dining quarters and the kitchen. Second level holds visitors quarters. [3]
Simeon, cleric of Cyric assigned to the Visitors Tower. [3]
Ancient shrine in the main hall now dedicated to Cyric. [3]
Captain Cherbill Nimmt, 6 ft 4 in. Several months ago he led a patrol in the Sunset Mountains and “acquired” some artefacts of Sune (murdering the envoy and priests carrying them); sacred vessels encrusted with gems, a rose that cannot die, a crystal figurine that greets every dawn with songs of praise to Sune. Has a magic sword that hisses when drawn from its scabbard. His throat is cut by Arilyn in a duel. [3]
Darkhold’s basement has a little known secret escape tunnel in a remote corner. The tunnel is full of strange traps and carrion crawlers (and bats). Has a one way gate made of razor sharp metal strips that form a cone (it opens when stepped into and springs back into a cone when existed). The tunnel is giant built and ends at the quarry where the original giant builders quarried the stone. Exit door (into the quarry) is covered with giant runes and is giant built, the door blends perfectly with the stone cliffs. [3]
Some giants still inhabit the mountains around Darkhold. [3]
Darkhold defended by different mercenary groups that have a fierce rivalry (sometimes leading to deaths) [3]

Other Lore
Erlan Duirsar, a handsome and virtuous elflord (from Evereska???) [2]
Spider sap, an alchemical derivation of the coating of giant spider webs, used to stick things fast [3]
Black dragon venom used to dissolve metal (window bars) [3]
Acacia tree gum used to glue things in place [3]
Dark purple robes worn by clerics of Cyric [3]
Cyric, god of death, destruction, assassination [3]
Sacrifice of Moondark, a sacred ceremony to Cyric [3]
Cyric is rapidly gaining worshippers among the Zhentarim, but has few followers outside the Zhents. [3]
Most people, including the Zhentarim, fear priests of Cyric and give the priests a wide berth. [3]
Dragonsmere amber, valuable gemstone, rare dark colour of sandflower honey makes them more valuable. [3]
Rafe Silverspur, half elven ranger, male, adventurer, protecting a caravan passing by the Vale of Darkhold. Killed by a shadowy assailant and branded Rafe’s left hand with a faint blue glowing brand in the shape of the Harper symbol. [3] Khelben Blackstaff knew Rafe (was he a Harper???), Danilo Thann was good friends with him [4]
Moon elves at 40, barely out of childhood [3]
Eleint, known as the Fading [4]
Calishite henna, bright red [4]
Harper assassin has killed Sybil Evensong, Kernigan of Soubar, the mage Perendra (was one of the first to die, not marked by a brand, owned a golden snuffbox marked with her symbol that is enchanted to never run out, stolen and sold in Waterdeep by an elf to one of Beornigarth’s thugs), Rathan Thorilander, Rafe Silverspur , all accomplished and powerful Harpers.[4, 10]
Harper Agents are not official members of the Harpers, they work on particular assignments (assassination) and often work alone, keep their identity secret. [5]
Elves are inherently magical, a part of the weave, their magic was less affected by the Time of Troubles [5]
Harvid Beornigarth, 3rd rate adventurer, giant of a man, pot belly, bald pate, eyepatch over one eye, wields a mace covered with iron spikes with skill, rusty chain mail that doesnt quite cover his belly. Comes to the Halfway Inn in Evereska searching for Arilyn. Several rotting teeth. Yellow braids in his hair (northman???). Harvid’s father was a barbarian on the rampage (uthgardt???), lost his eye to Arilyn moonblade in a duel. Likes getting involved in political intrigue. Arilyn slew him in Waterdeep after he ambushed her.[5,16,17]
Faereen the Far-Traveled, manufactures cosmetic unguents that allowed for excellent disguises. Her sign is a pink rune engraved on the gilded pots. [5]
Elquesstria, elven spirits, good quality, expensive [5]
Moonshae Moonshine [6]
Northern trade route from Evereska to Waterdeep is quicker but riskier than the southern trade route. Polite society (nobles???) rarely use the northern trade route (due to the danger of trolls etc???) [7]
Moonshae pipes [7]

Ballad of the Zhentish Raiders [7]
They're far from staid after a raid
Those men of Zhentil Keep:
They kill off all the women
For they much prefer the sheep.
The Zhents don't eat their ill-got treat;
Not one of them's a glutton.
So isn't it a marvel
That they always smell of mutton?

Correlian (this appearance of this star formation marks the end of summer to the elves), Esetar, and the Tears of Selune form the Autumn constellations [7, 8]
Orc tribes and black dragons roam the craggy Greypeak Mountain range [7]
Silent Strikes the Serpent, a song about Elaith Craulnobur and some of his exploits
The Elverquisst Ritual - The bottle was a marvel, made of transparent crystal that sparkled from thousands of tiny facets. The elf took the decanter in both hands, turning it slowly before the candle, and the bottle grew ever brighter as it absorbed the light. Finally the quessir spoke a phrase in Elvish, and the stored light coalesced into thirteen distinct points that glowed like stars against the sudden darkness of the crystal decanter.
Elverquisst, a ruby coloured liquor magically distilled from sunshine and rare summer fruits. Smooth, flecked with gold, iridescent colour and flavour. Highly prized, in the autumn the Elverquisst ritual is almost sacred among elves. The bottle alone is worth more than a weeks takings at a tavern during a very busy festival period
Shou rockets [9]
Chultan teak and mahogany, there is a growing market for it in Waterdeep [11, 12]
Ceremonial robes of silver and cobalt blue are betrothal robes for elves. [13]
There are many moonblades, although most elves that carry them live on Evermeet or in the Dales near old Myth Drannor [13]
The first moonblade was elvencrafted in Myth Drannor. They can judge character, can be held only by one person, and can be passed from one generation to the next. Each new owner can add a magical ability to the sword derived from the needs or nature of the wielder.[13]
The Council of Myth Drannor decided that to continue the elven people of Faerun a moon elf family would be ennobled as the rulers of Evermeet. The Moonblades were created to facilitate this, in a process lasting many centuries. The family owning the most moonblades at the end would be the winner and crowned ruler.[13]
Moonblades become harder to handle the more powerful they become.[13]
A moonblade refuses a wielder most often by slaying them [13]
When a noble line dies out, or the last member of a noble line is tested and fails (and survives), then the moonblade becomes dormant [13]

Ballad of the Elfshadow [16]
Upon the wings of seven winds,
Upon the waves of every sea,
Zoastria the traveler seeks
The shadow's living elf.

Twinborn she was, and from her birth
In sisterhood of soul and flesh
Zoastria and Somalee
Were destiny-entwined.

The heiress elf a sword was given,
The younger sailed to distant shores
To marry as her duty bid.
Her ship did not reach port.

Zoastria now walked alone.
Her weeping swelled the rising tide,
Her longing brought through stone and steel
A shadow sisterhood.

Call forth through stone, call forth from steel;
Command the mirror of thyself.
But ware the spirit housed within
The shadow of the elf.

Candlekeep has a fine library on elven magical objects (according to khelben) [16]
Harpers in Cormyr suspected Arilyn of being the Harper Assassin (did any Harpers die in Cormyr???) and sent Bran Skorlsun to track Arilyn down and bring her to trial in Cormyr.[16]
Candlekeep is protected from scrying [16]
Candlekeep is at least a months travel from Waterdeep (by sea), and several tendays (20+ days) travel by sea.[16]
Lycon of Sune, and Nadasha, Harpers in Cormyr, often worked with Kymil.[18]
Laeral is in Evermeet [18]
There have been several unexplained deaths in the ranks of the Zhentarim recently[18]
The Harper Council broke up the knowledge of the Elfgate into pieces to protect it (Bran and the moonstone to the Moonshae Isles, Laeral and Erlan only knowing the Elfgate’s location, Amnestria with the moonblade). That secrecy was used against them by Kymil who was thought to be a friend [19]
Elven gesture of respect, bowing slightly, spread hands, palms up.[19]
The Elfgate drove a wedge between the Harpers and Evermeet.
Danilo moved the Elfgate to Laeral’s chambers in Blackstaff Tower.

Waterdeep Lore
Harvestide, social highlight of the month of Eleint. Elder nobles consider Harvestide a serious business, upstaging competitors, gathering information, start beneficial rumours, and move from deal to deal. Younger nobles party.[4]
Harvest festivals crowd the month of Eleint [4]
Wealthy Waterdhavians never overlook the opportunity to throw a party. [4]
Harvestide Ball is always a lavish affair, jointly organised by several noble families. Held in the House of Purple Silks (one of the city’s largest and finest festhalls. Buffets, dancers, lanterns, musicians, the best of everything. Raventree’s organised the catering this year[4]
Regnet Amcathra, young noble male, dressed in red, silver, and blue (family colours), boyhood friend of Danilo Thann and rival for setting clothing fashions in Waterdeep. [4]
Myrna Callahanter, young noble female, flighty and malicious gossip, attention seeker, bright red hair, friend of Danilo Thann, reputation as a man eater [4]
Rhys Brossfeather, shy, young noble male, cleric, gossip says he was seen entering the Smiling Siren, friend of Danilo Thann. [4]
The Smiling Siren, a notoriously bawdy tavern, not a place for nobles to be seen [4]
Callahanter, family business is rumour mongering [4]
Galinda Raventree, young noble female, sworn foe of Myrna Callahanter [4]
Terrible scandal involving Jhessoba (noble female???) [4]
Wardon Agundar, his family deal in sword forging, has little regard for other weapons [4]
Sparkling Evermead (a drink from Evermeet???) high quality drink served at noble revels [4]
Sheabba, young noble female, friend of Danilo Thann [4]
Broken Lance, tavern, frequented by young nobles [4]
Nord Gundwynd, makes and trades fine weapons, collects antique weapons, friend of Danilo Thann [6]
The Feast of the Moon signals 10 days revelry and trade in Waterdeep. Vendors and entertainers would line the Market and the adjacent Bazaar Street, and the whole city prepares for festivities.
Artisans, entertainers, musicians, come to Waterdeep for the Feast of the Moon. Travellers come to Waterdeep to get a last load of supplies before Winter (and to enjoy one last trip/party)
South Gate guard is doubled during the Feast of the Moon
High Road turns north out of the South Gate, a broad cobblestoned street, the main thoroughfare of South Ward. Lined with stables, warehouses, inns, and taverns. This area is the entry point for most of Waterdeep’s inland trade.
Dwellings usually built atop shops and warehouses, overhanging the street so far as to be almost touching the buildings opposite. Window boxes provide gardens of kitchen herbs.
The Rising Way, a road leading up a small hill. House of Good Spirits inn at the end.
House of Good Spirits inn, a sprawling building framed with ancient timber and finished with wattle and daub. Long windows with purple and white curtains embroidered with a guild mark. Situated on the Rising Way. The headquarters of the Vintners, Brewers, and Distillers Guild. Boasts the best selection of spirits in all of Waterdeep. The tavern is warm and comfortable with a large selection of drinks and well prepared meals of roast meat, does a brisk trade with a clientele of craftsmen, merchants, and nobles. Simon the innkeeper. One of the few places in Waterdeep that serves Elverquisst. King Rhigaerd’s Chamber, best room in the inn, commemorates the chance visit of a past King of Cormyr, reserved for most honoured guests.[8,9]
Adjacent to the House of Good Spirits inn is a horseshoe shaped road leading around behind the House of Good Spirits. First building is a large wooden brewery (smells of yeast), then a stone warehouse storing white wine in fine oaken barrels (smells of vanilla and butter), then a building dedicated to the storage of zzar, the last building directly opposite the House of Good Spirits is a stables. A small courtyard separates the stables and the House of Good Spirits’ back door.
Zzar, a fortified wine for which Waterdeep is famous, a fiery orange liquid with a distinctive almond scent, elves disdain the vulgar beverage.
The Jade Jug, Waterdeep’s plushest inn .
Loene’s Townhouse, a veritable fortress on Waterdeep Way within sight of the guards stationed at Waterdeep Castle, home to the adventurer Loene, a friend of Arilyn. Courtyard with a huge elm tree behind her house. A mansion that resembles a miniature castle complete with towers and turrets and surrounded by an impregnable and ornate iron fence (protected by magical wards preventing intrusion but not escape). Loene was rescued from slavery by Nain Keenwhistle and spent many years adventuring with the Company of Crazed Adventurers. Elliot Graves is the Loene’s house servant (skilled fighter, has a mace, a skilled chef, gutter born, a loyal friend of Loene, also a Harper, has had many identities in the past, former adventurer). Loene’s house backs onto Gem Street[9, 10,12, 14]
Loene, dark blonde hair, hazel eyes, exquisite face and form. A former pleasure girl rescued by Nain Keenwhistle and the Company of Crazed Adventurers, later joined the company and became an adventurer and skilled fighter. Has a ring of spell storing (dispel magic and fly).[9]
Lady Tathlorn’s House of Pleasure and Healing, a festhall and spa that was very plush and very popular. Situated on Waterdeep Way[9]
Blackstaff Tower, surrounded by a 20 ft stone wall, no doors into the tower (invisible door), windows only on the upper floors, protected by a series of powerful magical wards and devices [10]
Rearing Hippocampus Inn on Adder Street in Dock Ward, premises won by Elaith Craulnobur over a game of darts and the inn was closed and is to be reopened under Elaith’s ownership as the Hidden Blade inn [11]
Dock Ward has commerce both legal and illegal taking place at all hours [11]
Durwoon, Ruathym pirate, sun weathered skin, several gold teeth,
Virgin’s Square, legend has it that an altar stood on this site long ago, centuries before Waterdeep existed, virgins were sacrificed to dragon gods here. Open air market on one side and a tiered piaza on the other. Those wishing to find work come to this square where newcomers, destitutes, adventurers, servants, mages, sellswords etc gather to hire themselves out. Adventurers, merchants, and caravan masters stop here to hire people.[12]
Blazidon One Eye, a grizzled former adventurer, dusty unkempt clothes, bony and wiry, greying beard (formerly bright red), left eye patch. Frequents Virgin Square and is the best at matching those seeking services with those in need of work (for a fee, and a higher fee for discrete matching). [12]
The Thann family often outfit their caravans with people by using Blazidon One Eye [12]
Barth and Hamit, thieves, often partnered together. Barth had one eye and a lightning bolt scar (liked to work alone as well), he borrowed Perendra’s snuffbox from Elaith and then signed on with Harvid Beornigarth, slain near Evereska (by magic cast on him that slew him if he tried to say Elaith’s name). Hamit worked in the City of the Dead , found with a dagger in his back [12]
Jannaxil Serpentil, a merchant scholar from Turmish, fat little man, one of the best fences in Waterdeep, runs Serpentil Books and Folios on Book Street, would often fence stolen goods for Barth and Hamit. Unassuming building made of sandstone blocks, richly carved door of exotic dark wood. [12]
Elliot Graves slain by the Harper Assassin [12]
Nain Keenwhistler persuades Loene to work with him on some trade deal involving Chultan teak and mahogany and the Island of Lantan, Coastal piracy is worsening and Lantan is offering them a port in exchange for additional protection for their fishing waters.[12]
The Friendly Flounder tavern, located near Serpentil’s Books and Folios, serves good fried fish.[13]
The Drunken Dragon, tavern and inn, Harper council meetings are occasionally held in the council room here. [14]
Coril, Harper Agent, young, shrewd observer of people, dabbles in awful poetry (as a cover), minor mage. Frequents the Drunken Dragon to listen for good rumours and info [14]
Shalar Simgulphin, bard, reputed member of the Harpers, Coril’s contact. [14]
Harpers in Waterdeep, druid Suzonia, Finola of Callidyrr, Partrin a ranger from the Dales—and his partner Cal (who is not a Harper) [14]
Clion and Raymid of Waterdeep, both adventurers, now enrolled in the Waterdeep Watch, adventured with Arilyn 15 years ago [14]
Waterdeep Watch wear black and grey uniforms
Tintagel Ni’Tessine, watch commander, young (nearly 100 years old), golden skin, darker golden hair, narrow face, prominent cheekbones, aquiline nose, black eyes. Holds nothing but contempt for humans. Arilyn duelled him nearly 40 years ago. Joined the Waterdeep Watch to find his fathers murderer (carries one of Bran’s arrows with him) [14]
Southern section of Waterdeep’s harbour is protected by a small peninsula of rock and sand jutting out to sea known as Waterbreak Peninsula (or the Waterbreak).[15]
To the north and west of Waterdeep lay noble estates and rich farmland, but the south is wilderness.[15]
There is a set of silver panpipes hidden in the Waterbreak, they are used to call a male selkie called Gaspar (Arilyn once saved his mate’s life). Gestar has connections to the Relay (a number of underwater creatures – selkies, sea elves, and sea creatures - that can send messages to Evermeet within 12 hours)[15]
Black Pearl, a half sea elf, another member of the Relay. Black Pearl had a human mother who came from a land far to the south east, her ship sank off the coast of Calimport and she was rescued by sea elves. Dark eyes, hip length black hair, pearly white skin[15]
Some members of the Relay have a wealth of knowledge, including about Evermeet and Moonblades and other ancient knowledge[15]
Blackstaff Tower, illusions hide all the doors. 3rd (top floor), contains a library and Khelben’s spellcasting chamber, and his reagents store. Spellcasting chamber contains only a marble pedestal with a scrying crystal atop it (nothing else to distract him). Khelben has a dimensional door (portal) installed in his 2nd floor library (hidden behind a bookshelf) that leads to Candlekeep to aid his research. A secret tunnel in the basement leads to Waterdeep Palace.[16,18]
A small, white vial bearing Khelben’s sigil is an item of personal value to Khelben, he sacrifices it to cast a legendlore spell on Arilyn’s moonblade.[16]
The return portal from Candlekeep to Blackstaff Tower actually deposits people in Jester's Court, just off the corner of Selduth Street and the Street of Silks. The door is one-way and invisible, and it stands between the two twin black oak trees on the north side of the garden.[16]
Khelben drew a picture of himself, Bran Skorlsun, Laeral, and Amnestria together. Amnestria and Laeral were friends (and so were Bran and Khelben) [16]
Laeral likes to adventure and has not been in Waterdeep for many years.[16]
Blackstaff Tower is protected from scrying [16]
Siobhan O’Callaigh, captain in the Waterdeep Watch, red braided hair.[17]
The Mages’ Guild is putting pressure on the Waterdeep Watch to curb irresponsible uses of magic [17]
Ainsar, Tallis, members of the Waterdeep Watch under Captain O’Callaigh.[17]
Waterdeep’s Academy of Arms, a prestigious training school set several miles west of the city walls. Kymil Nimesin is an instructor at the academy.[18]
Headmaster Quentin of the Academy of Arms, broad shouldered and ham fisted, in early old age, priest of Tempus. Knows Bran Skorlsun of old.[18]
Moor Canterlea, Filauria Ni'Tessine, Caer-Abett Fen, Kizzit Elmshaft, and Kermel Starsinger, all gold elf students at the Waterdeep Academy of Arms, personally recruited and trained by Kymil Nimesin.[18]

Danilo Thann Lore
A favourite with younger nobles of Waterdeep. [4]
Recently acquired image as a well travelled man. [4]
Broad brimmed hat of green velvet with sweeping plumes, styled after the trademark hat of a famous Ruathym pirate. [4]
Soft slouchy boots favoured by Sembian adventurers, made of rare chimera leather and dyed green [4]
Jade green coat and trousers, latest local Waterdeep style [4]
Blond hair, shoulder length [4]
Magic user [4]
Boyhood friend of Regnet Amcathra and rival for setting clothing fashions in Waterdeep[4].
Likes casting illusions to entertain his friends [4]
Really likes the colour green (especially eyes) [4]
Danilo given a mission by Khelben to find and follow Arilyn as she may be a target for the Harper Assassin (she is always near the assassinations). Khelben thinks the Harper Assassin may be after her moonblade so he also wants Danilo to learn the moonblade’s powers (from Arilyn) [4]
Plays the fool, is very successful at learning a woman’s secrets [4]
The Thann family has far flung merchant concerns and vast lands north of Waterdeep [5]
Danilo Thann met Arilyn in the Halfway Inn in Evereska. [5]
Has a bag of holding [6]
Has a fine tenor voice, an able bard [7]
Captain of Waterdeep’s champion polo team [7]
Lord Thann’s youngest son
Rhys Ravenwind, a renowned bard that travels between Suzail and Waterdeep. Tall, slender man, young, plays a harp, slain and branded by the Harper Assassin.
A valued customer at the House of Good Spirits, well known to Simon the innkeeper.
Does not like Elaith Craulnobur
Luiren Rivengut is his favourite drink.[9]
Harper Agent [10]
Khelben has been training Danilo since he was 12 years old (his last tutor quit), his most promising pupil, with potential to become a true wizard. Khelben has been training Danilo as a potential successor. [11,16,18]
Khelben Blackstaff is Danilo’s uncle (his mother’s brother). [15]
Danilo’s mother is very formidable, easily able to intimidate Khelben Blackstaff [15]
Danilo’s mother is very protective of her son. Danilo’s father is disappointed in his son.[15]
Danilo is a sixth son [16]
His magic sometimes goes awry, he still owes the city for his last miscasting [17]
Made a Harper by Bran Skorlsun[Epilogue]

Evereska Lore
Halfway Inn and tavern near the northwestern border of the mountain range that surrounds Evereska, a stopping place for human and elven caravans. There are few other inns in the Greycloak Hills. Halfway Inn has comfortable rooms, vast stables, and storage warehouses for temporary and secure storage. Halfway Inn is a trade centre for the colony of Evereska, the trading centre is nearly as large as some towns. Myrin Silverspear is the inns proprietor, dour silent moon elf with silver eyes, he always looks after Arilyn (he was once the captain of the guard in Evermeet when King Zaor was assassinated), a proud warrior who communicates with Erlan Duirsar (when he cannot solve a problem himself) via carrier bird [5, 18]
The stables of the Halfway Inn open onto a well lit street, the rear door opens onto a wooded path that winds north through the forest. [6]
Evereska Valley has been inhabited by elves longer than anyone could reckon. [5]
Evereska, a beautiful and heavily fortified city, protected by an arsenal of elven magic and military might. [5]
Reputation for being impregnable hand producing a high calibre of mages and fighters at the College of Magic and Arms. [5]
Silver Path in the College of Magic (a place???)[5]
The Winding Water, a swift flowing river, has a travellers hut on the lower branch near the foothills of the Greycloak Mountains (south of the Marsh of Chelimber ???) that is a cleric stopover for a nearby monastery where the priests of Torm train [5]
Tintagel Ni'Tessine, an older gold elf student at the College of Arms with Arilyn, taunted Arilyn because of her race, she tried to duel him and discovered the moonblade cannot harm innocents. A student at the Waterdeep Academy of Arms[6]
Merchant trains regularly travel between the Halfway Inn and Evereska (they are allowed inside the city and will usually allow outsiders to join them for a fee)[19]
Guard outposts dot the mountains around Evereska, fliers cannot get within 5 miles of the city without being shot down. Giant eagles mounted by elven archers patrol the skies high above Evereska. [19]
The council of Evereska all have rings of transportation that are attuned to Lord Erlan Duirsar’s home. Lord Erlan Duirsar heads the Council of Evereska[19]
All elves of Evereska share the duties and privileges of government [19]
The council square is ringed by buildings made of enspelled pink crystal.[19]
The Headmaster of the College of Magic (and presumably the College of Arms) is on the Council of Evereska [19]

Kymil Nimesin
Patrician Arms Master [5]
Is rude to Myrin Silverspear (although Myrin is always courteous to Kymil [5]
Warns Arilyn the Harper Assassin may be a Harper Agent [5]
Has been allied to the Harpers since Arilyn was 15 [5]
Disgusted by humans [5]
One of the best armsmasters in the Realms (according to Khelben), works with the Harpers on occasion [10]
Kymil still mourns the demise of Myth Drannor [13]
Has a villa near Blackstaff Tower [16]
Attended at his villa by a young noble elf woman named Filauria Ni’Tessine (sister to Tintagel). Filauria possesses a rare elven gift usually used to bind elves in an ecstatic night dance in mystical union with each other (circle magic???). Filauria is devoted to Kymil.[16,17]
Elaith Craulnobur recommended Harvid Beornigarth and his adventuring band to Kymil. Kymil hires Harvid to kill Arilyn (knowing he would fail), because that will draw Bran Skorlsun to Arilyn’s side and reunite the moonblade and moonstone.[16]
Kymil is one of Waterdeep’s most respected elven citizens.[17]
The topaz Kymil placed in Arilyn’s moonblade allowed him to call forth the Elfshadow and direct it to kill targets. He used the stone to scry on her as well.[17]
Kymil Nimesin is billing the Zhentarim for the each Harper assassinated, in the guise of Arilyn being a Zhentarim enforcer[18]
Kymil spent 15 years searching for Amnestria after she was exiled from Evermeet (so he could get access to the Elfgate). He heard of elven students that used a two handed sword style, but he found that the moonstone was gone and Amnestria would not tell him where it or the Elfgate were, so he had her killed.[19]
Kymil has been training an order of assassins to kill moon elves (they use the term grey elves) and plan to use the Elfgate to kill the royal family of Evermeet (Fenian Ni’Tessine, Tintagel Ni’Tessine, Filauria Ni’Tessine, Moor Canterlea, Caer-Abett Fen, Kizzit Elmshaft, and Kermel Starsinger. All gold elves, all personally trained by Kymil.[19]

Marsh of Chelimber
Herons in the lands around the Marsh of Chelimber.[7]
Orcs, goblinoids etc cut peat from the marsh for burning [7]
Wetlands surrounded by peat bogs [7]
Waste high marsh grasses, small pools that bubble and seethe with sulphur scented steam. No signs of animal life, but insect chirruping everywhere [7]
Goblins (dark orange skin, lemon coloured eyes) and lizardmen (green, scaly) in the marsh, rusted weapon (swords and battle hammers), ragged armour (leather) [7]
Ruins of a small keep on a small hill near the western edge inside the marsh [7]
The marsh warps sound so that attackers appear to approach from all directions [7]
Lizardmen led by a huge brown scaled lizardman [7]
No trees grow in the marsh [7]

Elaith Craulnobur Lore
Known as “The Serpent”
Tall, silver haired moon elf, amber eyes, dresses in black
Speaks the formal language of the moon elf court in Evermeet
Knew Amnestria
Frequents the House of Good Spirits (for the Elverquisst)
Reputation for cruelty and treachery is legendary
Owns Blackstone House, a stone townhouse made of black granite, tall, narrow, elegant, situated on the Way of the Dragon. Iron fence surrounds the properties. Maintained by a pair of moon elf servants. Has a globe of scrying on the top most chamber of the house.
Owns many properties in Waterdeep.
Works with Kymil Nimesin on occasion (communicating via the orb of scrying), has been ordered by Kymil to stay away from Arilyn (he didnt listen), Kymil pays him for information
Won the Rearing Hippocampus Inn on Adder Lane two days ago in a game of darts with the previous owner, reopening it as the Hidden Blade inn [11]
Adventured in the Company of the Claws several decades ago with Bran Skorlsun, they were friends then. Elaith slew most of the members of the adventuring band [11]
Friends with Princess Amnestria in Evermeet centuries ago [11]
Elaith said Arilyn should have been his daughter not Bran’s, Elaith was once betrothed to Amnestria [11, 13]
Elaith is far kin of Amnestria (distantly related ???)[11]
Admires Arilyn’s skill and her likeness to her mother. Wants to make Arilyn a consort (to taunt Bran???)[11]
Thoroughly dislikes the Zhentarim because of the way they operate, no style [12]
Also sells many goods through Serpentil’s Books and Folios [13]
Barth and Hamit worked for Elaith Craulnobur. Barth borrowed the snuffbox from Elaith and Hamit sold it to Jannaxil Serpentil. Elaith had long ago had Barth enspelled to die if he ever said Elaith’s name (to stop him revealing his employer). Elaith heard Harvid Beornigarth ranting about an elf that fought with a two handed sword (Elaith thought he was talking about Amnestria / Z’beryl) and getting revenge, so Elaith sent Barth along with Harvid to learn more about Arilyn.[13]
Elaith owns a dormant moonblade. He was betrothed to Amnestria, but when his moonblade refused him (he survived) and became dormant, the betrothal was ended and Elaith left Evermeet to travel to Faerun.[13]
Elaith is the last member of the Craulnobur family, the only son of an only son.[13]
Elaith paid Barth and Hamit to break into Perendra’s home and steal Perendra’s spellbook (why, what spell did she possess???), unfortunately they killed Perendra and sold her stuff to Jannaxil. Elaith later bought the snuffbox (to prevent any evidence getting back to him), Barth borrowed it, Hamit sold it (again), and Barth bought it back and then left for Evereska.[13]
Elaith killed Hamit and would have killed Barth, but Barth had already left on his mission [13]
Someone is playing the Harpers and Zhentarim against, the Harper Assassin is killing harpers, and at the same time someone is killing Zhentarim contacts. Harper deaths are being billed to the Zhents through a Zhentarim enforcer in Waterdeep.[13]
Dislikes Kymil Nimesin (for the continued insults) and wants him dead out of revenge [18]

Harper Assassin Lore
Harper Assassin killed someone in Waterdeep Castle and branded her haunch like a cow (according to tavern rumour)
Harper Assassin kills with a poisoned brand that imprints a glowing blue harper symbol on the skin[9]
Killed 20+ harpers.[17]
Was the Elfshadow of Arilyn’s moonblade, controlled by Kymil Nimesin through the enchanted topaz he inserted into the sword.[17]

Bran Skorlsun Lore
Known as the Raven [11]
A Harper, assigned to follow Arilyn and find out if she is the Harper Assassin, followed her from Darkhold to Waterdeep [11]
Loene is an old friend [11]
Used to be friends with Khelbem Blackstaff but something drove them apart [11]
Adventured in the Company of the Claws with Elaith Craulnobur as friends several decades ago. Elaith slew most of the adventuring band, Bran hasnt spoken to Elaith since [11]
Ranger skills [11]
Arilyn’s father [11]
Master Harper [16]
Sent by Harpers in Cormyr to bring Arilyn to trial on suspicion of being the Harper Assassin.[16]
For almost forty years now, Bran has been tracking false and renegade Harpers, mostly on the Moonshae Isles, but occasionally in other remote areas. He is devoted to keeping the Harpers' ranks pure.[16]
Bran Skorlsun comes from a long lived family.[16]
Carries the moonstone for Arilyn’s moonblade on a chain about his neck. A tribunal of Harpers and elves from Evermeet ordered him to carry the stone until he died.[16]
Tall, dark haired, lined and weathered face, fights with a staff [17]
Used to be friends with Khelben and Laeral.[16,18] Met with Laeral shortly before he left for the Moonshae Isles (almost 40 years ago) and made peace with her[18]
Had been kept busy (by the Harpers???) for almost 40 years tracking down pretend Harpers and the occasional renegade Harper [19]

Candlekeep Lore
Warmer weather than Waterdeep.[16]
Massive citadel of grey stones, ringed by walls, perched on a rocky seacoast.[16]
A small gatehouse at the entrance of the ring wall. Attended by the Keeper of the Gate, a tiny wizened apparition of a man with dry, yellow, ancient skin, an aura of power around him.[16]
You need a letter of invitation from an existing member / affiliate (like Khelben) [16]
Schoonlar, scholar of Candlekeep, medium height, slender build, dust coloured robes [16]
Located halfway between Candlekeep and Waterdeep, and directly east of the lower half of the Moonshae Isles.[16]
Candlekeep is a repository of knowledge for the North, South, and ancient island cultures.[16]
The files on Elfgate are sealed and only Queen Amlaruil of Evermeet, Lord Erlan Duirsar of Evereska, Laeral the mage, and Khelben Arunsun of Waterdeep may access those files.[16]

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2020 :  19:24:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An excellent novel, one i could not predict what was going to happen in each chapter even though i had a rough idea of the ending, something i also liked about Wyvern's Spur.

I'm happy with the outcome with Kymil surviving, one of the final lines was that the Elfgate originally drove a wedge between the Harpers and the elves, so politics means that whatever the end result of the trial it would have ended up being about politics and trying to placate he elves, and whenever politics is involved you can never predict the outcome unless you know all the players involved.

The actual events surrounding the Elfgate and Amnestria was somewhat confusing (and left deliberately undetailed i expect) but i think thats how it should be for an event that occured 40 years ago.

I'm even happy now about Amnestria and Bran remaining separated, as it seems likely Amnestria was under a geas of sorts and so could not reunite with Bran without revealing the Elfgate.

What is bothering me is Kymil's motivation. He wants to find the location of the Elfgate in order to finish terrorising Evermeet and the royals, but the Elfgate is in Evereska and cannot be closed and so Kymil should have been able to see it all along, unless the moonblade is required to activate the Elfgate, in which case Kymil would have needed control of Arilyn's moonblade once it was restored to power.

So either it cannot be closed and is always active and so Kymil could have used it at any point in time. Or it needs the moonblade to open it. I suspect it is the latter as that would explain Kymil's entire plan to groom Arilyn as his protege (to gain her trust) and then find a way to subvert the sword (or so he believed) using an enchanted gemstone of his own making. And finally to frame Arilyn and get Bran to return and reunite moonblade and moonstone so the sword could open the gate once again.

The problem being that moonblades can only be touched by the owner, so Kymil would never have been able to activate the Elfgate with Arilyn dead or turned against him. Unless Kymil believed he could entirely subvert the moonblade's magic and allow him to use it, further suggesting he has secret knowledge of the moonblades (acquired from Myth Drannor or learned anew by himself).

Not a big problem, but his plan could never work unless he could get around some ancient magic that no one believes can be bested.

Not that this should detract from the novel itself, coming up with complicated plots are difficult and bring the increased possibility of plot holes, but so far they are only minor.

I'm looking forward to investigating the events around Amnestria and Bran and Elaith and Khelben and Laeral. I'm also looking forward to having a go at detailing the secret organisation established by Kymil Nimesin to bring down the ruling house of Evermeet, because the prologue suggests they are several centuries old and he could have been working on it since the fall of Myth Drannor. And Kymil's goal is not a bad one, he dislikes the tyranny of monarchy and wants a more democratic style of rule for elves, one that allows even gold elves to have input. Its his methods that are bad.

Ironically the creation of the moonblades was guaranteed to cause the kind of strife among elves that Kymil personifies, which is why i firmly believe the forces of evil had a secret hand in creating the moonblades.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2020 :  20:55:33  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I'm assuming you've read Evermeet: Island of Elves?

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2020 :  21:46:51  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, that was very helpful. That Iriaebor stuff I am putting together has the Master Wizard of the Shield from Evereska. He would have still been a child/preteen in 1321 and a member of the Evereska guard in 1361. The events in 1361 is what could have led him to think that the guard was not for him and that he needed to see the world.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2020 :  22:13:53  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only skim read parts of the Evermeet novel. Until starting this thread I'd only ever read the moonshae novels in full to mine for information while I was developing that region.

Evermeet is a long way off.

If your master wizard of the shield is a gold elf he could be one of kymils assassins.

My world is set firmly in 1356, but all the novels provide tons of historical detail that can be added into 1356 DR making the game much richer in that time than ever before

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2020 :  23:27:56  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've only skim read parts of the Evermeet novel. Until starting this thread I'd only ever read the moonshae novels in full to mine for information while I was developing that region.

Evermeet is a long way off.

If your master wizard of the shield is a gold elf he could be one of kymils assassins.

My world is set firmly in 1356, but all the novels provide tons of historical detail that can be added into 1356 DR making the game much richer in that time than ever before

He is a gold elf but I don't see him as an assassin. I can see that he may have seen/interacted with Kymil and he left the guard because he is disappointed in himself for not seeing Kymil for who he really was. He sees the need to experience the outside world to address these short comings of his.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 38 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000