Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Reimagining Old Empires
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2018 :  21:44:31  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trying to develop mourktar a bit.

Ots home to two large temples one to assuran one to Bane.

Its built on a sandy plain in an area where farming is quite difficult because the winds strip away vegetation.

I would imagine building a city in this place is quite a stubborn undertaking.

I know that there was a mourktar around 241 DR because Faerndar was from there and became the first to refuse the post of magister (i think).

That being said i think id like mourktar to be the settlement founded by Assuran so in order to allow that what if mourktar was originally an army camp settlement. Assuran left Unther in the second century DR and moved to Akanu but Akanu was part of the greater Untheric Empire at this time so im thinking he was a nomadic freedom fighter that bedeviled the forces of Gilgeam.

Mourktar was the name of his encampment where his band of freedom fighters lives and it wandered all over chessenta.
The laat place of Mourktar was in the shadow of Mount Thulbane when he was cornered by the Warlord and his army. The two forces clash and slaughter one another and the two generals disappear up the mountain in a thunder storm.

The followers of each army settle on the present site of mourktar making it a holy city for worship of both assuran and bane with relics of both warriors found nearby.

I am thinking i might have mourktar originally be called ma'atusthar which roughly translates as the soul throne which im thinking might be named for the throne of Akanu and was once the throne of Imaskar that was claimed by E-Anu as the spoils of war.
Gilgeam left the throne behind in Adanu when he went to rule Unther and Assuran stole the throne from the ruin of Adanu when he flooded it in the same year as he flooded Unthalass in vengeance for Gilgeams betrayal.

Perhaps the soul throne can be used to trap the souls of those who perish nearby and funnel them into the person sat on the throne. So the Warlord (Bane) wanted that throne to help him steal power from other to fuel his demi divinity (as he had been doing for a millennia).

I might put the throne beneath the amphitheatre.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2018 :  21:36:54  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I'm trying to flesh out Mourktar and Threskel and Chessenta and its really hitting home how there is absolutely no history in the region relating to any of the cities.

For instance Airspur we know has a significant halforc population and fights with Cimbar but nothing about when it was established why it has halforcs or anything significant. Looking in 4e lore I can find mention of ancient catacombs so im guessing it was an old Akanic/Untheric settlement but nothing concrete at all.

Cimbar was Tchazzar's capital, that's all I know.

Akanax is where Hoar appeared during ToT. Nothing else

Luthcheq is home to mage hating nutters.

Mordulkin is ruled by mages

Mourktar is home to Hoarite and Banite temples.

That is all I have on any of the cities in Chessenta. The whole lot of them might as well have sprang out of the ground a century ago.

So heres a few ideas and conundrums.

Cimbar was Tchazzar's capital but why? Its too far north and west of Chessenta to be a lynchpin for trade. I note Erebos is sat on the very tip of the western arm of land leading into the Bay of Chessenta that would make a good port to toll people entering the Bay and thus influencing all trade in the region. A city on a rocky outcropping is not a great capital but if Cimbar controlled Erebos then its a winner. The alternative is that there is something Tchazzar wanted beneath Cimbar. I note he had some regalia crafted (a sceptre, a crown, a ring) so perhaps he found the sceptre in Cimbar.

Akanax given its name I'm having be an old Akanix/Untheric settlement, perhaps one conquered by Assuran when he was booted out of Unther (hence him appearing there because he has lots of kin there).

Luthcheq I can't fathom a reason for the rabid mage hating at the moment but there does seem to be a large concentration of craziness in that city and weird occurences - Witchweed, vampires, entropy. Perhaps there is something about the place that is weak with respects to reality - something old and evil buried beneath it. There is mention of a lot of mudmen in the Bay of Chessenta from some powerful artefact, perhaps it lies just off the shore of Luthcheq and its magic is leaking.

Mordulkin it seems to me was aided by mages from the League of Samathar (after its successful revolt) but again why there and why not elsewhere.

Mourktar I've already mentioned seems a pretty poor position as a city so I'm making it a site of religious significance to explain its founding (just before the Alliance of Chessenta was founded).

I'm still working on the Warlord from Swords of the Iron Legion turning up in Chessenta after he was defeated (chasing godkings he could drain for more divine power) - Assuran became his next chosen victim but it didn't go according to plan. He carved a small kingdom in the north of Chessenta (conquering Airspur, Cimbar, and founding Dun-Orebos - which became Erebos), before destroying Akanax and forcing Assuran to flee east. The Warlord then shipped his forces across the Bay of Chessenta in pursuit of Assuran and had a showdown around Mount Thulbane. With the Warlord gone his kingdom swiftly vanished but it helped kickstart the independence movement for Tchazzar.

Anyone have any ideas on making history for Chessentan cities or anyone spotted any references in any novels (that I wont have read) or any random articles that I can use for inspiration?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2018 :  22:55:54  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, officially, Luthceq hating mages, is because Luthceq was defeated in a war against Mordulkin and the Karanoks (who rule the city) blamed the wizard for being spies of Mordulkin, starting their crusade against arcane magic, which latter lost seemingly it's original reason though.

My guess is Entropy could have a role in this, as well all of the other madness in the area.

I mean, Entropy even appeared directly to the Karanoks, and they started to worship it.

The thing is, how sapient Entropy is? I guess though even if mindless, it could influence the outside.

The thing is, what is Entropy?

George Krashos suggested it was originally supposed to be a aspect of Shar (a popular theory for years), and that it would be best to have Entropy be the Mistress of the Night.

Despite Brain R. James Chessenta article stating Entropy is a Primordial imprisoned by Ao, it's I think very possible he intended Entropy to be the Realms aspect/version of Tharizdun. Tharizdun was in the Points of Light setting confused by most for a Primordial after all (which points out it might be intentionally part of the article's lore, to "misguide" Entropy is a Primordial), and Entropy Unaligned alignment, could be just due to Entropy/Tharizdun being unconscious/dormant (and Entropy was described as Neutral Evil when it was first described (in Old Empires), just like Tharizdun pre-4E, and Shar). Shothragot, the avatar of Tharizdun, also resembles Entropy quite much, and also produces minor versions of itself.

This would also definitely explain the madness around the area.

Sadly, latter writers from what I know, completely ignored the suggested Tharizdun-Entropy connection, and the novels had Tharizdun being attempted to be summoned from outside the Realms (someone correct if I'm wrong, and there was some connection).

Alternately, Entropy being a Primordial, could fit with it being Shar, with it being the Primordial body/part of Shar, she was separated from when she became a goddess/Estellar. But I don't think you will use this suggestion as if I remember in Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions you intended for Shar (and Selune) be connected to Ssharstrune.

Other fans have theorized Entropy is the body of Pandorym.
Which would explain the hate of mages around Luthceq further - while Entropy would be "mindless", it could still have some resident feelings left, and resentment towards Imaskari, which degraded to hatred of all mages due to it's mindless state, it's hatred influencing the population of Luthceq, with the loss of with Mordulkin, being thn only the "seeiming" reason for the hatred of mages.

Curiously though the Imaskar fan lore book by Snowblood, had Pandorym being an aspect of Ghaunadaur the Imaskari artificers summoned, specifically Pandorym being the "remains of the very first dream sphere of Ghaunadaur".
https://phasai.deviantart.com/art/IMASKAR-166507649

Ghaunadaur was identified with Tharizdun in late 3.5E and early 4E, but latter that idea was abandoned, but the above idea could be used, with just Entropy/Tharizdun, being substituted for Ghaunadaur.

Edited by - Baltas on 05 Mar 2018 00:22:05
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2018 :  01:02:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, going full-bore personal homebrew here...

In my Overcosmology (Monomyth, etc), I have it where there were two Supernals (the sentience of entire dimensions/'rules' of the Universe). One was best know as Ymir, and the other was Gaea, but they both have hundreds, if not thousands of names. But recently I made a sleight tweak to Gaea, and have renamed the original being Aeon (although calling either by either name is perfectly fine as well... trust me, they don't care ).

Now, for each dimension/Supernal there is an energy type, some of which are still unknown to mortals. And there were twelve of these. The 'Ymir energy' was elemental in nature, because the four elemental planes - plus the Prime - were all a part of it; the 'Material Plane' (Firmament). Aeon was 'life itself' - the concept that energy and compounds could interact and create life. This is the equivalent to the old notion of 'Positive Energy', and that plane would have been hers. But then Ymir 'died', and in order to save reality (the physical universe) - which 'the gods' had grown so fond - Aeon merged her essence with The Ymir, in order to sustain it. But the job was only half-done, and the Lattice of Heaven collapsed (that taken from 4e canon), and the universe (First World) began to break-apart. Ahura-Mazda (Jazirian is an aspect) and Angra-Mainyu (Ahriman) - two other Supernals - used their power to join together, creating a swirling vortex that would recollect all the disintegrating matter and energy and force it back together. This is how The Great Wheel came into existence. But even so, the universe never full reformed. Great swaths of it were saved (many of the other planes), and as for the Material planes, the four elements were sorted out from that (for a time), and 'The Prime' became distilled from Elemental Maelstrom (The Phlogiston) as well, forming into bubbles of matter & energy know as 'Crystal Spheres'. This process is slowing still going on, and new Crystal Spheres are forming even now.

But getting back to the dead/dying Ymir and Aeon. Ymir itself was gone, its sentience 'snuffed out' and shattered with its planes. This equates to the splitting of the World serpent in D&D. Some think its is merely in a coma, while others believe it will never revive, but there is no way of knowing until nearly all of its 'soul stuff' is recollected, and that's become a nigh-impossible task. From the conjoined being came a new dimension - the new Physical Planes, composed of both material, and the life energies of Aeon, and this is now 'The Gaea'. Its is very similar to the original Aeon in many ways, thus why the two names are interchangeable. But being merged with Ymir has also caused her consciousness to fracture, and the original has 'gone dormant' as well. She has many aspects though, on numerous worlds - she is 'The Earthmother'. From the conjoined energies of the two comes Mana, which is the new form of 'life energy', although not nearly as permanent as the original Vitai (Prana). Thus, 'mana' has two halves - the light, and the dark. What we know of in The Realms as 'Arcane' and 'Shadow'. The combined energy - Raw Magic - is too dangerous for mortals to handle. The Ymir-side of the equation is now laced with death - Umbral, or 'Negative' Energy - and the two together in that form - life & death, is nearly impossible to use without filtering one from the other.

And what of Ymir? In the agony of his dying moment - the death of a being that embodies all physical existence - came but one thought - "I am ending." And that thought became a vestige, embodying that very concept - ENTROPY. Entropy is all that is left of Ymir. Its is the barest fraction of its original power, and it is 'mindless'. its only 'goal' is the thought which sparked its creation - The End of All Things. Shar may try to control Entropy, but it is too 'pure', even for her. She doesn't possess the single-mindedness of Entropy itself, and that's why no one being will ever be able to control it. They may exert influence over it for a short time, but that, too, shall end. For such is the way of things with Entropy.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Mar 2018 01:09:05
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2018 :  07:30:42  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well entropy is basically a sentient sphere of annihilation and there are plenty of dead godlings around the empires to account for its creation.

Perhaps luthcheq is a corruption of luth chesq meaning home of chesq.
This could have been the home of the first grand viceroy of chessenta (who i made a madman).
Now way back in the early years, akanu conquered the east of jhaamdath, what if it stole its udoxia and brought it back to akanu. Ram Chesq later started experimenting on it and twisted into something else, something sentient.

This twisted udoxia is what has been leaking magic into the groundwater and creating witchweed. It also creates odd psychological pathologies in people, such as irrational hatreds based on the tiniest of stimuli.

Of course given the number of time luthcheq was sacked its no suprise that the udoxia was discarded into the sea by some ignorant soldier.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2018 :  11:25:25  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the thing is, Entropy is described as an unstoppable, elemental entity, suggested from start to be a devourer of gods, and was first described as having the power of a Greater Deity...and was noted in 4E lore to be just imprissoned in "a guise of" a sphere of annihilation, not really being one...

From Old Empires:
quote:
Entropy
The Great Nothing, Swallower of Gods,
Magechill
Symbol: A field of pure black
Entropy is the deity of the Karanoks. It
is an extremely weird entity, a gigantic
sphere of annihilation that no force,
divine, magical, or mortal, may stop.
Worship of Entropy consists of eldritch
rites and human sacrifices, preferably
of wizards. Priests of Entropy
are brought up to hate magic.
The only known temple in the Realms
dedicated to Entropy is in Luthcheq;
the temple is encased in a large hemisphere
of black glass.

From the 4E Chessenta article (from the Dungeon magazine) by Brian R. James.

quote:
Entropy
Great Nothing, Swallower of Gods, Magechill
Unaligned Primordial [Oblivion]
Symbol: A sphere of pure black
Befuddling sages and theologians for millennia,
Entropy’s (en-trah-pee) true purpose was at last
revealed upon the calamitous joining of worlds
brought on by the Spellplague. As the Swallower of
Gods and the Devourer of Worlds, Entropy has represented
the single direst threat to the mortal world
since the Age before Ages. In that long ago era, when
Ao banished the primordials to Abeir, the overgod
imprisoned Entropy in the guise of a sphere of annihilation
and discarded the inert primordial on Toril
with a warning to the gods: Govern the world wisely or
face utter oblivion. With Cyric’s folly and the unraveling
of the Weave, Entropy is freed once more to
spread ruin across the face of Toril. Every day the primordial’s
entropic maw grows wider, threatening to
swallow the world whole, while the weakened powers
of the Astral Sea stand powerless to stop it. Priests of
Entropy are known as thaumatoclasts.

I just think Entropy was meant to be a world threatening Lovecraftian monster, and would fit perfectly into what causes the nearby madness, and seems to be intended as something gods themselves fear. And it's Swallower of Gods, just quite neatly connects with Pandorym, and that and other makes it also quite similar to Tharizdun (which I think the writer of Old Empires, Scott Bennie, might have intended Entropy to be...) But I guess you may dislike that take on it in canon seeing it may seem to out of place, and "significant but not utilized"...

Also, great Genesis-lore Markustay - although I myself also include Asgorath the World Shaper and the Leviathan (who's body was stated to be the multiverse) in my cosmogony in a more important role, and have Tiamat retain more of Asgorath's original personality. As descried in Reign of Dragons article in Candlekeep Compendium IV, and I think confirmed to be the case in canon by Brian R. James, Asgorath was split into the entities – Yaldabaoth (future Tiamat), Null and Xymor (the precursor of Bahamut, who is either him in an earlier form, or the father/creator of Bahamut).

This actually connects to the creation myth in the olde Draconomicon, were Tiamat was pretty much stated to be a Lawful Evil aspect/avatar of Asgorath.

Curiously, Asgoroth appears to be named after Azathoth, and the Azathoth's "canon" incarnation in D&D, Shothotugg, the Eater of Worlds also appears to have female characteristics - seeing it's described as one of Demogorgon's two "mothers" in Kopru mythology.

Not to mention Shothotugg is the "Eater of Words", while Asgoroth is the "Shaper of Worlds".

And in general, the myth of Asgoroth in Draconomicon, being quite similar to that of Timat in Enuma Elish, I thought Asgorath is Nammu the primordial creator in Sumerian mythology, who some think is the same as Tiamat, but others think Nammu thematcally, was split into Tiamat, Apsu and Mummu, similar how Asgorath split into Timat/Yaldabaoth, Xymor and Null).

While Io is Asgorath, Io is to me different from Asgorath, like Mystra was from Mystryl, and the second Mystra from the first – especially that Asgorath seemed to be much more pro-active than Io.

With Tiamat retaining the original Asgorath's desires, if now very twisted.

Tiamat original name, Yaldabaoth, is also interesting, as it the name of the Demiurge, the flawed creator in Gnosticism, on who Azathoth is inspired by (ie Yaldabaoth was the Blind God (Sammael), while Azathoth is the Blind Idiot God among multiple similarities).

Yaldabaoth is essentially a demonization of Yahweh (Yaldabaoth being possibly derived from Yahweh' names Yael and Sabaoth), and curiously though, Yahweh may have connection to Tiamat – some connected the name Yahweh to the Canaanite god of Chaos and Sea Yam/Ymm/Yammu, whose name even appears to derived from Tiamat's name (T-Yam-at). Yam either created, or is Lotan (who also inspired the Biblical Leviathan), while in Reign of Dragons, and I think also confirmed in comments about it being in canon, Tiamat/Yaldabaoth is Lotan's mother.

[EDIT]

It's also notable Entropy now essntially shares of Shothotugg/Azathoth's titles - Shothotugg is the "Eater of Words", while Entropy is "The Devourer of Worlds". Hmmm...

Edited by - Baltas on 05 Mar 2018 12:02:43
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2018 :  12:14:11  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i will be making entropy really dangerous but im not going down the god route, too much of it doesnt involve FR. It is powerful purely because it is a sentient sphere of annihilation that is growing with each thing it consumes
I dont do mass produced magic items so a sphere of annihilation will be almost unique and this one is artifact level now. It was used to kill Anu and has been used by gilgeam to destroy and mutilate multiple other godkings and fey beings of power.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2018 :  16:55:43  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I can perfectly understand want to make some threats non-divine (including Primordials, and godlike Far Realms entities).

With Mordulkin, it may be named after Marduk/Amar-Du'uk, seeing the name appears to be constrcted as if it was so, but that would conflict with Marduk being an Untheric, not Akanic deity. This could be explained by the region having strong ntheric influence, or was conquered by Unther during the founding of the city (which could explain the antagonisms between it and Luthcheq). After Marduk's death, Assuran could pose as Marduk for some time (they have some similarities in portfolio), before Bahamut took over the Marduk alias. But that's just my idea XD
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2018 :  17:42:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can go for marduk/mordulkin. Its a great forward outpost to keep an eye on akanu. Unther was founded first and expanded before akanu rose to become anything more than a single city.

If i find anything a better fit i can keep it as an alternate origin for the name (ive already done that for unthalass).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2018 :  20:20:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trying to divide up Chessenta into regions.

I've got:

The Akanul - land around the Akanamere but not east of the Akanapeaks.

The Adder River Valley - All land between the Adder River and the Winding River and River Heptios

The Maerthland - Includes the Maerthwatch and the Maerchwood

Then there is the land between the Heptios River and the Jade River (just south of Mordulkin) - no idea what to call that

And there is the land east of the Akanapeaks that include Cimbar, Airspur, Soorenar, Erebos. I'm thinking of calling this something like the Battle Plains (but an Untheric corruption) or perhaps the Dragon Lands (again Untheric corruption).

Any suggestions.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2018 :  22:00:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Soorenar is ruled by three noble families whose ancestors drove the armies of unther out of chessenta. Luthcheqs Karanok clan are related to those three families in Soorenar.

Im thinking that the population of the triangle cities (soorenar, luthcheq, mordulkin) are predominantly mulan, although mordulkin has slightly more Amnish.

While the northern alliance is morr Amnish in nature.

A populatiom divide always helps drive enmity.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2018 :  20:19:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So back to Luthcheq after a work related break.

Noted a few oddities.

Luthcheq is situated on the shore of the Bay of Chessenta which is noted as being the best natural harbour in the Inner Sea. That says to me that it has deep water and perhaps a steep shoreline (a sudden drop into deep water after a few metres of beach).

The Drakelight is 800 ft high which I find oddly large (although I must profess I don't know how tall normal lighthouses are).

Then Luthcheq is situated against towering black cliffs. But the city has a port quarter. Do people normally build port cities atop cliffs.

I kind of imagine that the Bay of Chessenta is high at the entrance to the bay and more shallow at the back or have I got it the wrong way around. Anyone more geographically minded have an idea.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2018 :  20:32:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and a racial question, would one consider migrants from the Shoon Imperium around 200-400 DR to be Tethyrians or Calishites.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2018 :  23:02:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

So back to Luthcheq after a work related break.

Noted a few oddities.

Luthcheq is situated on the shore of the Bay of Chessenta which is noted as being the best natural harbour in the Inner Sea. That says to me that it has deep water and perhaps a steep shoreline (a sudden drop into deep water after a few metres of beach).

The Drakelight is 800 ft high which I find oddly large (although I must profess I don't know how tall normal lighthouses are).

Then Luthcheq is situated against towering black cliffs. But the city has a port quarter. Do people normally build port cities atop cliffs.

I kind of imagine that the Bay of Chessenta is high at the entrance to the bay and more shallow at the back or have I got it the wrong way around. Anyone more geographically minded have an idea.

The Empire State Building is 1250 ft high, so you're right it is abnormally high, like a skyscraper.

I've wondered the same thing about Luthcheq (the fact that its supposed to be a port and yet it has towering black cliffs). Only thing I could figure was the idea of an upper and lower city, with maybe a tunnel traversing through the cliff face to get to the top (which would be very defensible mind you). Note though that the novel descriptions don't describe it that way. For instance, Maiden of Pain simply talks about how the city is clean and full of white buildings, unlike Bezantur which is full of dark buildings.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2018 :  09:18:14  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im thinking that perhaps a steppe pyramid was built here during the time of ancieny akanu. It has long since been covered over by the ground so that it resembles a large hill a few hundred feet high. That is what forms the cliff that the Palace Quarter now sits upon.

At the base of the hill are the Temple Quarter and the Port Quarter and where the walls are. Outside the walls are the Slave Farms otherwise known as the Rope Makers Quarter (they make rope out of witch weed for some anti wizard nets and other anti wizard things).

Of course this means that Luthcheq was abandoned for several centuries but i think thats easily doable during the troubled years when Akanu begins falling apart (after 400 DR ish).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2018 :  21:22:52  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the Trade Centre is a trapezoid shape.

Don't know why trapezoid was mentioned but I'm running with it as an occult symbol of sorts that energise those attuned to magic.

The Karanoks built it as a kind of trap to magic users. When they enter the Trade Centre they become euphoric and energised and often manifest their powers without care for the consequences (which is often immediate capture and execution).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2018 :  21:39:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I've got my Entropy sorted out now.

Dead godkings cause spontaneous formation of sphere of annihilation.

Sphere found by Gilgeam during his wanderings.

Sphere used to kill Anu (fired from a slingshot into his ankle, believed to be a snake bite as per the legend of the Adder River/Swamp)

Sphere used by Ulgar and Gilgeam in dangerous experiments.

At some point sphere gains sentience from people/power consumed. But when Ulgar is exiled and Akanu abandoned the sphere is lost beneath the bluff of Luthcheq (really an old steppe pyramid).

In 1346 DR the Karanoks are torturing some poor sod who happens to be a second born son of one of the godkings (captured from Mordulkin perhaps or Akanax) and they do so in the chamber where the sphere happens to be hidden (it much diminished in size over the millennia of non-use - it had nothing to eat). It consumes the godkingling and is restored to its prime and Entropy is back.

The Karanok's worship it as Nanna-Sin reborn (but in a more evil and malevolent aspect).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2018 :  22:37:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

And I've got my Entropy sorted out now.

Dead godkings cause spontaneous formation of sphere of annihilation.

Sphere found by Gilgeam during his wanderings.

Sphere used to kill Anu (fired from a slingshot into his ankle, believed to be a snake bite as per the legend of the Adder River/Swamp)

Sphere used by Ulgar and Gilgeam in dangerous experiments.

At some point sphere gains sentience from people/power consumed. But when Ulgar is exiled and Akanu abandoned the sphere is lost beneath the bluff of Luthcheq (really an old steppe pyramid).

In 1346 DR the Karanoks are torturing some poor sod who happens to be a second born son of one of the godkings (captured from Mordulkin perhaps or Akanax) and they do so in the chamber where the sphere happens to be hidden (it much diminished in size over the millennia of non-use - it had nothing to eat). It consumes the godkingling and is restored to its prime and Entropy is back.

The Karanok's worship it as Nanna-Sin reborn (but in a more evil and malevolent aspect).

Curious, why would dead god kings cause spheres of annihilation to form? Also, why Nanna-Sin reborn? I could see maybe Nergal, given that he's seen as a dark skinned god carrying a night black shield that radiates death in a 30 ft radius and stops most magic.

from 1st edition Deities and Demigods entry of Nergal
When he goes into personal combat, he uses a night-black shield that is both a weapon and a means of defense. The shield has a bonus of +5; when in use, no being can attack the god from behind. It also casts a death spell aura (saving throw applicable) in a 30 foot radius around the god, and no spell of less than the eighth level can affect the user of the shield.
His worshipers (those that wish success in evil deeds) sacrifice good creatures on his altar of black basalt, or dedicate the proceeds of evil actions to the church in a type of promised sacrifice.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2018 :  23:11:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what. I had been pondering the idea in other threads that Eric Boyd's idea of "Shattered Night" and "The Wells of Darkness" linking to the place where vestiges go would fit well with the idea of Gargauth being trapped in Peleverai in the "Dark Pit of Maleficence". I had then noted that the Wells of Darkness contained.... an Untheric god.... Dahak. I had also noted that the Wells of Darkness also contained Astaroth, who'd had involvement with... yep, Gargauth. So, then I'm noting that "Entropy" nearing the Spellplague suddenly became something of a pathway for at least one version of Tiamat... almost like a deific vestige channeling its way back through it.

So, while I still think that Entropy is a part of Pandorym (from elder evils, Pandorym is a split of two pieces)... maybe its misunderstood as to what the "Entropy" or "Giant Sphere of Annihilation" piece of Pandorym is. What if like the OTHER piece of Pandorym, its a portal of sorts... so it doesn't destroy things... it opens onto the place where vestiges go. And we all know that many gods have become vestiges.... This would fit even more the Imaskari knowing how to split Pandorym, given their keen understanding of the concepts of portals and extradimensional spaces. Or in comparison to what Eric spoke of... Entropy is a connection to "shattered night".

So, compare Entropy and "the body of Pandorym"... it even says its a portal to somewhere else
Pandorym’s physical component does not truly exist as a body in the multiverse but is a conduit to the incomprehensible reality of its home. It manifests as a 30-foot-diameter sphere of annihilation (DMG 279), but no being—not even a deity—can control it,

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2018 :  07:57:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i chose Nanna Sin because the Karanoks claim direct lineage from Nanna Sin. In order to further deify themselves it seems logical they would claim the sphere is Nanna Sin reborn and they are descended from Nanna Sin. Makes them seem more powerful to have a god on their side.

As for the dead godkings, many have often linked entropys birth to a concentration of dead gods. I hate god events as they dont happen on toril nor do they involve anyone on toril and my only area of concern is toril so ive moved the location of its birth to thay.

Entropy isnt a god though (yet). Its just a sphere of annihilation that is intelligent and exceptionally large. I dont do mass manufactured magic items so they all have history and spheres of annihilation should be hellishly difficult to make.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2018 :  21:32:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My beginnings of a page for Entropy. He is listed as an NPC and not a god because he has not yet attained the level of power to make him a demigod or true god and it serves to show that anyone can establish a church and gain worshippers before they attain godhood.

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/home/npcs/entropy/

I've tried to keep his origin suitably vague via Entropy's own memories of his life but they only become concrete once he gains sentience.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2018 :  20:59:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come up with a new concept, the Children of the Gods. These are the immediate family of the godkings and were typically almost as powerful as the godkings themselves, famous for great feats of warfare, magic, or invention. They proved to be incredibly long lived and some even survived to the third age of Unther but have been absent from Unther's society for many centuries (after GIL-Geamesq tried to exterminate them and the godkings).

I'm intending to use these as another subversive element against Gil-Geamesq, they have long since hidden themselves away and concealed their true identities. THey are not in any way unified (each acting as an independent) but may be recruited to any cause to bring down Gil-Geamesq and save Unther from his tyranny.

King Hippartes is a descendant of one of these Children of the Gods, his great uncle was one such of the Children and was consumed by Entropy in Luthcheq in 1346 (incidentally Entropy seeks to discover these children and use them to feed his own children so that they may become self sustaining like himself).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2018 :  20:57:52  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added a page that will be the first of many pages on races of Toril beginning with Humans (Mulan and Turami)

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/races/humans/

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2018 :  21:00:57  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added a page on Ram-Manu, I'm giving him PTSD and Gil-Geamesq has exploited that over the centuries so that Ram-Manu grew increasingly dependent upon him.

Now Ram-Manu is hidden in the deepest torture chamber beneath the Ziggurat of Eternal Victory, where Gil-Geamesq inflicts the most horrific of tortures on him whenever the whim takes him.

I'm thinking that Ram-Manu will stay imprisoned and forgotten beneath the Ziggurat when Gil-Geamesq dies. I could use a former general or one of the sons of the godkings to claim to be Ram-Manu (after finding his mallet) and who will then die in combat during the Time of Troubles against King Hippartes (who is almost one of the sons of the godkings - one or two generations too far removed from Assuran).

That way I can satisfy the events of the Time of Troubles while keep Ramman alive in case people want him in a unified Mulho-Untheric pantheon when Mulhorand conquers Unther.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2018 :  21:18:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Working on the city of Akanax.

I'm making it not a true city itself but more a muster site for an army that represents all the other cities of the Akanul region (including the Blade Kingdoms cities but they contribute a much smaller number of soldiers).

So each settlement around the Akanamere contributes a number of levies who live in Akanax for at least a year under the command of the Blade Council. Unfortunately Hippartes dissolved that council and named himself the sole commander and King of Akanax. The other cities dared not withdraw their troops for fear of King Hippartes marching the army against them. This is how such a small city as Akanax is able to war against the other cities of Chessenta without using mercenaries and how it is able to field such a large army compared to its size.

The Akanul region I have decided is mixed with Mulan, Turami, and a small number of pure Jhaamic individuals. The Blade Kingdoms moniker comes from the innate magical ability of some individuals to manifest swords out of their hands.
I'm trying to figure out how to mix the eastern and western styles of the Vilhon Reach and Unther at the moment.

Some notable features I that the city is divided into one district for each settlement that contributes soldiers (divided by a stake wall). These districts move around according to the internal squabbles of the Akanul settlements.
I'm picturing a fortified hillock with a subterranean headquarters that used to be Ass-Uraqn's base when he was a freedom fighter in Akanu. Maybe some deeper catacombs nearby that housed powerful relics that Hippartes will use later to claim he is Ass-Uraqn reborn.

There will also be the temple of the Vengeful Hand in Akanax (I think it is called that).

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/home/regions/the-old-empires/chessenta/akanax/

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  13:30:43  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Returning to Anu, the deity he substituted among Durpari, and non-artificier Imaskari, could be also Teylas. Teylas is a Tuigan deity, but the Tuigan, are connected to Imaskari - the Tuigan languages do belong exactly to the Imaskari language family, which was pointed out both in the Horde campaign book and Tom Costa's language article.

Aside from Teylas and Anu being chief gods of the sky, there is also a bit of reall life context for this. Teylas is based on the reall life god Tengri, who is thought to be kinda connected to Anu. As Anu was written by the Sumerians by the cuneiform "Dingir" (God), which is thought to be related to the Altaic Tengri (which alos means Sky, or God).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingir
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengri

Also, sorry that I bother you about this again, but could you send me maybe Tom Costa's article on Murghom? I would send a PM about this, but it seeems my private messages may not work. (or maybe you send me it, or a link to it allready, and I didn't recieve it?)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  14:07:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apologies, I thought I'd sent you the article already. Assuming your email is in your profile I'll send it on Tuesday ish.

Unfortunately I don't know if the
Hordelands worship is able to mix with untheric religion.

Not sure which ethnicity the length belong to but the hordelands changed a lot when the due an showed up and drove a number of tribes South and West into mulhorand and narfell. If this occurred before or after the century or two in which the Mulan may have occupied raurin and split into Mulhorand and Unther, then it is unlikely that the worshippers of any hordelands group would have made it beyond mulhorand.

Saying that there is in canon that animal spirit worshippers went into mulhorand from the hordelands and I used this event as justification for the mulhorandi gods being depicted as having animal heads.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  14:46:35  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks in advance.

And I don't mean Unther had contact with the Tuigan, just that Teylas, was an Imaskari/Durpari deity, the worship of Teylas spreading to the Tuigan (who in canon were visibly influenced by Imaskari - and may be in part descended from them).

But in my theory, in Durpar, Anu took over the worship and subsumed Teylas, at least among Durpari, who identified Teylas with Anu, and overtime, started to just name the deity they worshipped Anu, instead of Teylas.

This could have killed Teylas, or weaken him considerably and in time, Akadi would start to grand spells in his name among the Tuigan.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2018 :  15:57:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I'm thinking how Tchazzar managed to unite Chessenta behind his banner originally (not in 1375 DR or whenever he reappeared).

Unther had been dealing with the wars with shoon and the rebellion of the league of samathar. So Unther had left Chessenta to govern itself for at least 2 centuries while it collected high taxes from the region to fund the wars.

Then Tchazzar comes along and starts a rebellion against unther. However Tchazzar is an unknown outsider and chessenta is a land that has all but dissolved into independent regions. The old Mulan cities dominate the added river valley, the chondathans dominate the north west coast of chessenta, the akanul is a turami Mulan mix filled with freedom fighters dedicated to assuran, and the north east/threskel is a mix of Mulan and tethyrians from the wizards reach (lots of wizards).

So how did Tchazzar unite all these regions being an outsider himself. Yes Tchazzar is a red Dragon but no one knows that and yes he is an awesome general but that is not enough to unite a nation in rebellion.

I'm toying with the idea of Tchazzar using past heroes of each region to get support. So he is in charge to cimbars army first and becomes a war leader. Then he dedicates memorials to assuran the hero of the akanul region, he create a memorials to heroes in threskel and the added river valley. He creates new buildings in the chondathan cimbar but these new buildings are in a mock untheric style to appeal to the die hard Mulan.
He equips his armies in a mock untheric style which is usually a breastplate and greaves (light armour compared to western faerun) but using a rose burnished steel rather than bronze.

In order to make obvious his opposition to unther he uses lots of draconic imagery, drawing on unthers ancient war with dragons.

So is lots of military victories and cultural appeasement to disparate ethnicities enough to unite a nation in rebellion.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2018 :  22:56:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Using the traditional lore instead of the gods in the region might help here. Assuran is a god of vengeful justice. If Tchazzar courted the church of Assuran against the Untheric gods who had cast him out, to gain vengeance upon them, he could have gathered followers in not only the Akanul area, but also north of Unther in Threskel/Mourktar as well. He could also focus on the "injustice" being pushed down upon them by Gilgeam. Perhaps this shames the church of Ramman, whose generals of the god of war are unable to hold these tributary states, and this even furthers the enmity between Ramman and Assuran.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000