Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Brainstorming Anchorome
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
760 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  04:48:37  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Eric Boyd came up with a "thing" whereby the shalarin sea race that had remained in the "Sea of Corynactis" (west of Faerun and therefore close to Anchorome) had been subverted by Dagon ...

-- George Krashos

Not coincidentally one of my favorite bits of obscure lore that I wish had been expanded on. Iíd love to see the Shalarin and the Sea of Corynactis get a little love.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8553 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  22:32:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Eric Boyd came up with a "thing" whereby the shalarin sea race that had remained in the "Sea of Corynactis" (west of Faerun and therefore close to Anchorome) had been subverted by Dagon ...

-- George Krashos

Yeah, that's kind of what got me thinking about having a race of octopusfolk near the Sea of Corynactis (and having warlocks amongst them being more common.... and having a "normal flesh"/human top and a "dark octopusfolk" with a more fey looking top and skin colors of green, blue, purple, gray, and black. I figure the dark ones might be more attracted to Dagon, but the regular ones might as well. Of course, Dagon's worship might also be challenged by the worship of the great octopus that drow call Lolth's "sea spider" form. Since Dagon is octopus-like to a degree there might be a natural draw.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8553 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  22:34:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The Realms already has intelligent octopi, the unoriginally-named tako. The name is just the Japanese word for octopus, but they've been detailed since 2E, as I recall.

Yeah, but they pretty much look like an octopus and wouldn't share normal abilities to talk, etc... Essentially though these are just a reskinned merfolk, but perhaps they were created by the batrachi from human stock. Main thing, just trying to give something a little different than merfolk.

Also, since I also see Seethyr's response, yes, the Zoveri were the ones we talked about a few years ago. However, the Zoveri are powerful and outer planar and good. This is meant to put a "humanlike" enemy under the sea that isn't a sahuagin or something very fishy. These might be something that a human might look at and find trustworthy because they see similarities. But they may act very differently than merfolk towards surface dwellers. Anyway, not quite sure what to do with them, but I like them as an option on the other side of the world.

Itís really funny, I was just poring through Hordes of the Abyss due to boredom, and the Dagon entry might really interest you. In his background lore, it speaks of how the kuo-toa worshiped him but the sahuagin feared Dagon would be a threat to Sekolahís dominance of the seas and made a push to wipe out the Kuo-toa.

Now I know kuo-toan lore has diverged from that bit of lore greatly over the years, but it really made me think of Dagon as a good fit for your octopoid folk. Perhaps from back in the days of the batrachi - I could see them having a a strong connection to Dagon.

Yep, you read my mind again. That's why it was near the sea of corynactis (which we kind of need to place as well).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8553 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2020 :  03:40:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found in the trade enclave at Fort Flame of the United Tharchs of Toril and surrounding islands, the Noceri are elite bodyguards brought north from Katashaka, where they live in small tribal units.

Noceri warrior in armor
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4156350
Noceri sorcerer druid
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4156446

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
760 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2020 :  03:54:22  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Found in the trade enclave at Fort Flame of the United Tharchs of Toril and surrounding islands, the Noceri are elite bodyguards brought north from Katashaka, where they live in small tribal units.

Noceri warrior in armor
Noceri sorcerer druid

Oh nice, I could see them being related to giff and certainly the rhek (from the book of Exalted Deeds in 3e). You should check out that race for some inspiration, perhaps the rhek are a planar offshoot that you could now establish had their origins on Toril.

Here is the most recent update of the glaier project btw. I took each of your suggestions into consideration.

ANS3 Blacktoe Glacier

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8553 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2020 :  17:21:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Noceri warrior in armor
Noceri sorcerer druid

Oh nice, I could see them being related to giff and certainly the rhek (from the book of Exalted Deeds in 3e). You should check out that race for some inspiration, perhaps the rhek are a planar offshoot that you could now establish had their origins on Toril.

Here is the most recent update of the glaier project btw. I took each of your suggestions into consideration.

ANS3 Blacktoe Glacier

Hmmmm, yeah, the Rhek does say they are transplants from the prime. I have both Rhinaur and Noceri in Katashaka (one is a tauric rhino whose torso is very humanoid and the latter is a biped rhinoceros). I picture the average Rhinaur as very chaotic and barbaric, and the Noceri as having a tendency to loyalty and honor but savage when enraged. The Rhinaur came from Star of Cursrah, so they are a canon realms creature that we never see anywhere.

rhinaur imagery
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4102724

On the giff relation to them, I was actually pursuing something along these lines. Basically, you know how there's Loxo in the Shaar because of a spelljammer? I'm picturing that there's a heavy gravity jungle filled homeworld where giff, loxo, and Noceri originated and that they came here long ago on several spelljamming vessels to explore.... only their ships were then destroyed by nyama-nummo (that they came here to capture). Thus, they were stranded in Katashaka. One ship was attempting to escape maybe before it was assaulted in mid flight and they managed to crash it into the Shaar. Why have so many races that fulfill the same basic role (large, thick skinned, beings)? Basically to give imagery and give people an option of what they want their character to look like. The giff in this scenario are not gun toting "general wannabes", but have rather degressed to their more savage nature.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1968 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2020 :  21:08:04  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On the giff relation to them, I was actually pursuing something along these lines. Basically, you know how there's Loxo in the Shaar because of a spelljammer? I'm picturing that there's a heavy gravity jungle filled homeworld where giff, loxo, and Noceri originated and that they came here long ago on several spelljamming vessels to explore....

One, there are already Umpani, which is Giff-clone-but-rhino in Wizardry series.
Two, why something like this is needed at all? More specifically, why not develop variations of existing material, rather than cloning more boring "planet of hats" type one-note caricatures?
That's dull and almost never adds anything valuable.
Conversely, Malatra was done not by dropping more randomly generated "reverse zebra centaur!" mixes, but creatively, and it's distinct as a setting.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8553 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2020 :  00:19:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

On the giff relation to them, I was actually pursuing something along these lines. Basically, you know how there's Loxo in the Shaar because of a spelljammer? I'm picturing that there's a heavy gravity jungle filled homeworld where giff, loxo, and Noceri originated and that they came here long ago on several spelljamming vessels to explore....

One, there are already Umpani, which is Giff-clone-but-rhino in Wizardry series.
Two, why something like this is needed at all? More specifically, why not develop variations of existing material, rather than cloning more boring "planet of hats" type one-note caricatures?
That's dull and almost never adds anything valuable.
Conversely, Malatra was done not by dropping more randomly generated "reverse zebra centaur!" mixes, but creatively, and it's distinct as a setting.

Ok, wizardry isn't D&D. I just chose the name Noceri because you hear it and pretty much can guess what it is (I was torn between it and Rhinotaur, but Rhinotaur is a little too close to Rhinaur which is already canon). As to why... just because it could look fun.

I'm currently playing in a campaign that is composed of me playing a kercpa wizard/warlock, an aarakocra arcane archer, a kenku fighter (ranger maybe?), a tabaxi rogue, an orc warrior, and a human sorceress named Elsa with ice powers (yeah)Ö. Someone might look at that and say "why have two bird folk in a party", and I simply respond "because they thought it would be fun". I can see a party showing up at some village filled with elephant, rhino, and hippo folk and smiling. Conversely, I could see a couple players who think alike enjoying having a giff and rhino guy working together.

Now, do I need this to be a vast society encompassing all of Katashaka? Nope. But they're there as an option, and I can definitely see all 3 being employed as body guards and taking the roles that people would normally have maybe used with minotaurs over in Faerun. Even better, unlike minotaurs which are typically treated as evil, these beings might be better termed as something like neutral with either lawful or chaotic tendencies.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
760 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2020 :  20:10:31  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the last WIP before the final book is out.

Blacktoe Glacier

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8553 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2020 :  13:36:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here is the last WIP before the final book is out.

Blacktoe Glacier

Love the simulacrum elixir. Will look at more later.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000