Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2017 & 2018)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Zeromaru X
Master of Realmslore

Colombia
1034 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2018 :  19:31:54  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for this...

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I think Mirt may have been a member. Not sure why I think that, though.

Perhaps because somewhere its stated that all of them became Bluefire objects? I'm not even sure where I got that idea from, because its certainly not anything I would have come up with on my own.

Nope, as of the current Realms, they are resting at peace in a tomb designed for them under Castle Never, the Vault of the Nine. It seems that Valindra wants or wanted (I dunno, as the 4e storyline got screwed with 5e) to transform them into death knights, but she was unable to do so by 1479 (the starting date of the Campaign Setting). I believe in the MMO she eventually gets to do it, as the concept art of the game have this cool pic about them, but I dunno. I cannot find the quest in Youtube (I do no play the game, as I'm not a fan of MMOs).

I'm intrigued about them because, according to Neverwinter Nights 2, Halueth Never had his own Neverwinter Nine back in the 1st century DR, and since Neverwinter Nights 2 seems to be in conflict with Ed's and George's lore, I want to know actual Realmslore about them.

I believe there also was a second (or third) generation of the Nine after Nasher's time, that served his descendants (if we go by what the NCS says), but I don't know if Ed was involved in the lore for Neverwinter in 4e.

Long ago, in the distant past, they fell into decay. The philosopher’s path... The river of glory... Even the saints resting in the darkness rise up without response and block the way...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 21 Feb 2018 19:35:21
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5084 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2018 :  01:46:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think Mirt may have been a member. Not sure why I think that, though.

Perhaps because somewhere its stated that all of them became Bluefire objects? I'm not even sure where I got that idea from, because its certainly not anything I would have come up with on my own.

EDIT:
And because we're supposed to be asking questions: Ed, what/who do you picture being in Halruaa before the Netherse went there and founded that country?

The Nine and the Neverwinter Nine are two different groups.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15654 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2018 :  23:41:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So we're not doing 'sevens' anymore?

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

According to Shinning South (3.xe), they were people from Lapal that fled from the yuan-ti and hid themselves behind the Walls.
Cool - I didn't think they were Dambrathi, but I couldn't remember why.

But the question still stands - What was there before the Lapalese fled to there? Anything or anyone?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Feb 2018 00:02:54
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6925 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2018 :  23:53:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So we're not doing 'sevens' anymore?

From Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide

Mystra, goddess of magic NG
Arcana, Knowledge
Symbol Circle of seven stars, nine stars encircling a
flowing red mist, or a single star

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15654 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2018 :  00:05:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 'Seven' is actually her 'mothers' symbol, and since she usurped (sort of) that power, she uses the Seven.

Which makes me think that the 'Seven' are something that has 'passed on', and now nine have passed on. Chosen?

Or its an edition thing.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Baldorar
Acolyte

Spain
7 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2018 :  09:09:50  Show Profile Send Baldorar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all.
Baldorar, when Ed was starting out (before D&D) he wrote descriptions of each place, and the characters there. When beginning as a D&D DM, he write exhaustive descriptions (the precursor of what became "boxed text" to be read aloud at the gaming table), so he'd know how to portray (act) this or that character. But by 1979 or so, with the Realms filling his head, I suspect he improvised more than anything else...from thoughts jotted down AFTER each game session, for "how the world would probably react" (to what the PCs had done) for the next game session.

I've realised I haven't thanked you yet! :) So thanks! Even more than in the Realms themselves (which I love), I'm more interested in the creative force (or should I say 'forces'? ;-) )that propeled them specially in their early years. That's why I'm always curious in how Ed and you hguys did things back then.

Edited by - Baldorar on 05 Mar 2018 09:12:25
Go to Top of Page

Irrevrykal
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2018 :  15:42:42  Show Profile Send Irrevrykal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, THO (and Ed, by extension). Is the inn of Horl's Horn (in Iliphanar, from 2012's Forging the Realms), or Selgaunt's Horl Street, connected to the doppelganger mule breeder Horl (also from Forging the Realms)? Or are they by chance connected to Horl Bryntwynter, the trader/Cormyrian spy in Halfhap (Swords of Dragonfire)?
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Seeker

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2018 :  23:11:31  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Howdy-Hey THO,

On the ninth (and final) page of the old City of Splendors: A Novel of Waterdeep review topic <http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3029&whichpage=9>, you describe a number of things that got cut from the final presentation of that novel, including:
quote:

an entire Gemcloak and his subplot, throughout

Would Ed be willing (able, really) to share anything on this character, and what their general plot was?

(late edit)
Also, in the 2015 Ask Ed Thread <http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19841&whichpage=15> you passed along a reply about banking in Waterdeep that said, in part;
quote:

The Plinth....have always functioned as banks.

Given the Plinth's status as an all-faiths, "hands-off" arrangement, who is in charge of those transactions?

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 16 Mar 2018 00:36:51
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3845 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2018 :  20:16:47  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed/THO

Quick question that is probably a lot more difficult than I'd imagine as I'm not sure if you had conceived of Jhaamdath way back when.

Could you possibly impart the name of the ethnicity of the people of ancient Jhaamdath. Given that the name Jhaamdath comes from Jhaam as the first warlord of the Dath dynasty I'm not sure that the people could be called the Dath but I just thought I'd check.

Also have you given any consideration to how the name Chondath came about. Is it a corruption of Jhaamdath or was there a Chond the long forgotten scion of the Dath dynasty who helped save many people during the tsunami and its immediate aftermath (or maybe sometime later during the chaotic centuries after the tsunami.

Hope everything is alright with you and yours and any thoughts you have on the matter would be most welcome.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page