Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2017, 2018 and 2019)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2018 :  17:11:48  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Great! Thanks Ed and George! Much appreciated.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2018 :  01:04:09  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message
Hey Ed! And dear THO, and George (?)

My brother bought me a FR comic that tells the tale of Talandra Roaringhorn and some other miscreants from Waterdeep. Can you tell me more about the "King of the Ghosts" and his Ghost Holds? (direct translation here; the comic is traslated to spanish, so I don't know the original terms—but you know who I'm talking about: is the super powerful ghost that opens the portal for Talandra and her friends)

Also, why he had control over direhelms? Does that means he is part of the Eminence of Araunt?

Thanks in advance!

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 05 Oct 2018 01:05:25
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2018 :  03:28:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

My brother bought me a FR comic that tells the tale of Talandra Roaringhorn and some other miscreants from Waterdeep. Can you tell me more about the "King of the Ghosts" and his Ghost Holds? (direct translation here; the comic is traslated to spanish, so I don't know the original terms—but you know who I'm talking about: is the super powerful ghost that opens the portal for Talandra and her friends)

Also, why he had control over direhelms? Does that means he is part of the Eminence of Araunt?

Thanks in advance!

Before I pass this on to Ed, what issue of the comics was it, and was it the Forgotten Realms comic or the AD&D Comic (there were two as I recall)?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2018 :  06:18:12  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message
Hi George, Ed & THO,
Anyone can answer this I think, as I'm still pretty basic in my studies.
Someone recently attributed/hinted the Blackstaff was a part of Khelben being a chosen of Mystra, and I wonder about that.
(Kind of like inventing the staff should have come from a chosen, not create one)
Secondly, I'm told George knows about the Althora ...an artifact in Thay?
Thanks,
Fineva

I" am Sathia of Orogoth

Edited by - Fineva on 05 Oct 2018 06:19:10
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2018 :  08:41:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fineva
Secondly, I'm told George knows about the Althora ...an artifact in Thay?
Thanks,
Fineva

It's the Athora, and you can get the info here:

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/253571/Tyrants-in-Scarlet-the-Founding-History-of-the-Zulkirs-of-Thay

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2018 :  03:32:48  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message
Thank you George.
I can only say omg.
-Fineva

I" am Sathia of Orogoth
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2018 :  07:11:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Thanks in advance!

Before I pass this on to Ed, what issue of the comics was it, and was it the Forgotten Realms comic or the AD&D Comic (there were two as I recall)?

-- George Krashos

George, I don't have the comics, but this might help. It appears to be the Dungeons & Dragons: Forgotten Realms series released in 2012?

https://www.idwpublishing.com/product/dungeons-dragons-forgotten-realms-2/

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Forgotten-Realms-Book/dp/B071S1J99J

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2018 :  07:13:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Thanks in advance!

-- George Krashos

George, I don't have the comics, but this might help. It appears to be the Dungeons & Dragons: Forgotten Realms series released in 2012?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2018 :  09:27:40  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message
Dear THO, Ed and George,
I made up a hierarchy of powers, look about right?

Overgod (Ao) (can strip powers)
Greater gods (multiple portfolios)
Lesser gods (portfolio powers)
Demigods (divine powers)
Exarchs (Made by the God, various powers)
Chosen (power in a person, may allow spell like use )
Artifact wielders (Artus Cimber)
(Uncertain here) 5e "boons" /3e "Epic" level 20s

I" am Sathia of Orogoth

Edited by - Fineva on 07 Oct 2018 07:47:44
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2018 :  23:27:43  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

quote:

Thanks in advance!

-- George Krashos

Yes, it is this comic. IIRC, was the final issue (number 5).

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 06 Oct 2018 23:29:31
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2018 :  02:23:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Brilliant. I know Ed has all these - I've seen them. I'll ping through the question to him.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2018 :  02:49:30  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message
Yo Ed,

After an evening spent listening to the oeuvre of Jackie Wilson, is it odd that the next Waterdeep-based adventure I want is one that involves the PCs commandeering a Walking Statue made ambulatory by the awesome tunes of the resident PC bard to attack the Ghaunadan-created slime barrier around the corrupted Maernos Shrines?

You know,
quote:
Blackstaff: I'm afraid the vibrations will shake her to pieces. We should have padded her feet.
Piergeiron: I don't think they make hob-nails in her size, Khelben.

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 01 Nov 2018 03:35:52
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2018 :  00:17:11  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message
Hi Ed and the Hooded One,

I'm hoping either of you can provide some information of Waterdeep's city gates - how they look, how they're guarded, the kind of traffic they get, that kind of stuff. I've been looking all over but can't seem to find much on them, besides some excellent information provided some years back about when the gates are shut.

Thanks in advance, and hope you're both keeping well.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2018 :  08:31:05  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,
I've seen on the DMsGuild presentation of the Haunted Halls that there was in your original module a "Silent House hideout" in or around Eveningstar.
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/16833/FRQ1-Haunted-Halls-of-Eveningstar-2e?it=1

Can you confirm or deny that information and if you confirm it, can you say something more about it ?
Thanks,
Marco

Edited by - Marco Volo on 26 Nov 2018 08:31:41
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2018 :  07:50:17  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Hi again to you all,
It's a question for Ed or THO :)

I was wandering if the lord bandit Rivior of Eveningstar had a special ("favourite") deity among the human pantheon ? (It is for having a little shrine in my version of the Haunted Halls).
I imagine there also should be an "all faith" shrine for his men, right ?

Thanks,
Marco

Edited by - Marco Volo on 04 Dec 2018 07:53:26
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2018 :  20:57:48  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
I just now saw this, and failed my saving throw vs distraction. Let's hope I didn't also fail my math skill roll.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I just need a flagon with a small (say 2 inch radius) one-way, activatable portal. If you could only open it for an hour a day, how many barrels do you think could you fill? 2? 4? 10?

The decanter of endless water is a similar item, capable of disgorging 1, 5, or 30 gallons per round.

Instead of 1 gallon per round, I prefer to visualize the flagon filling itself in one round -- it just seems more natural/useful. If the "portal" can open for an hour each day, 6 seconds at a time, then it can "create" 600 flagons of ale over the course of 24 hours. The flagon probably has a capacity of 2 imperial pints (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagon), or 1.1 liters, or 2.4 US pints. Thus 600 flagons is equal to 150 imperial gallons or about 180 US gallons (Google conversion). UK beer barrels are typically 36 imperial gallons, so the flagon could fill 4+1/6 such barrels each day. Most US beer barrels have a 31 gallon capacity, so the flagon could fill about 5.8 of these barrels per day.

At 5 gallons (Imperial or US) per round, an hour of activations would "create" 3000 equivalent gallons per day.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2019 :  04:06:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Ed tells me that he's slowly getting out from under a few non-Realms paid writing gigs, is casting an eye toward a host of outstanding Realmslore queries and is slowly churning through his boxes of old notes, lore fragments and other bits looking for gold. I hope he'll be in a position to answer a few queries soon. In the interim - while it might not be a social media conduit that you favour - Ed is providing quite a bit of lore via his @TheEdVerse twitter feed. If you're not already following, I'd suggest as a fan of the Realms that it might be in your interests to do so.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Halaku
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2019 :  21:01:54  Show Profile Send Halaku a Private Message
If I may be so bold, I've a question regarding a certain villain which has started to vex me, to the point where I've given up my years-long custom of lurking to make a post in this forum.

Namely, Sammaster, and the manner of his first death.

After he had his 'epiphany', and founded the Cult of the Dragon, he became quite the target. If I understand the lore correctly, a mixed group of Harpers and priests of Lathander ambushed him and some fellows on a "Let's preach the good word to some dragons!" mission, with the intent to assassinate him. When the ambush / assassination went poorly, the priests cried out for aid, Lathander sent an avatar who attacked him, Sammaster's magics gave him the equivalent of a paper cut, at which point the avatar mocked Sammaster and obliterated him.

Is there... more to this story? Because as I currently understand it:

1. Good guys try to jump bad guys.

2. Bad guys handily repel the good guys.

3. Good guys say "We're going to lose the fight we picked, we need backup or we're all going to die and our target's going to get away!"

4. One of the gods that the good guys worship shows up with the equivalent of an "I.W.I.N. Button" and bad guys, without anything at all they can do to level the playing field, promptly get destroyed. The good guys even get a new relic out of it, to show the superiority of 'their team'.

This just seems... incredibly lopsided to me. We don't have cases of the forces of evil trying to ambush / assassinate someone on the side of good, failing, and getting an avatar of an evil god to show up and blot their primary opponent off the face of Faerun for them. Even if we take the Chosen of Mystra out of the equation as valid targets (due to Her relationship with them) I would think that if a Sammaster-equivalent force for good was ambushed by bad guys who realized that they bit off more than they could chew, and had an avatar of Bane / Lolth / Tiamat / whomever show up to squish the good guy like a bug, leaving the bad guys to celebrate their successful bushwacking, people who think it unfair, and poor storytelling.

Which means either how Sammaster died at the hands of Lathander was equally unfair... or there's more to the story to explain why it was okay for a god (a good god, no less) to personally show up to defend his worshipers and make their assassination attempt a success, but it wouldn't be okay for other gods (especially the evil ones) to do the same to individuals who vexed their clergy.

So I guess my question is... what am I missing, here?

Thank you in advance for any clarification you can provide regarding this event.

Sincerely, Halaku

You say "admirer of Larloch" like it's a bad thing.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2019 :  22:08:49  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
Just my thoughts here but in all honesty I think this is how the gods should be depicted.

It wasn't a god that turned up, it was an Avatar, and he was summoned there (which I believe cost the life or sanity of the summoners so there was considerable sacrifice involved) and it was impossible for those assembled to even look at him without going mad.

There should be little or nothing you can do to damage a god, that sammaster drew blood is a testament to his brilliance.

If all such deific depictions were in this manner then the fiction and sourcebbok range would be better for it. God's are awesomely powerful and to kill one is nigh impossible, they don't just turn up, you have to summon an Avatar, and to do so is costly.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Halaku
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2019 :  22:20:51  Show Profile Send Halaku a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

It wasn't a god that turned up, it was an Avatar, and he was summoned there (which I believe cost the life or sanity of the summoners so there was considerable sacrifice involved) and it was impossible for those assembled to even look at him without going mad.

While I understand that, post-Spellplague, the powers of Faerun have become more "hands-off" in general, what's to stop a group of priests worshiping any of the evil gods from trying to ambush a powerful hero, and summoning an avatar of their own god to kill the hero when they fail, even at the cost of their own lives? One would assume that this sort of martyrdom would be considered a positive thing, especially if it ended up taking the life of a hero that stands against what one's deity represents (in the way that Sammaster's Cult of the Dragon went against Lathander's teachings) but we don't see that happening in the history of the Realms, regardless of which edition the rules set happened to be in play at the time... except when the Harpers and Lathander's priests did it to Sammaster.

Which, in turn, certainly gives the impression that there's more to this story.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2019 :  22:28:00  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
I like godly involvement and seeing how they interact with their followers, be it directly (such as an avatar. The deity itself appearing would be too much for mortals), or indirectly, such as a vision or signs. Post-Spellplague (or more so, post-Sundering), the gods interact more indirectly, so an avatar showing up is less likely, though not impossible. I think the way a deity interacts, and how they choose to do so (such as Lath appearing) is going to depend on the deity. Evil deities (with some exceptions), may be less wont to appear at their follower's request to help them assassinate an enemy. More likely, they will give their priest/cleric spells to help aid the priest/cleric in slaying the enemy.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

lookatroopa
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2019 :  12:33:44  Show Profile Send lookatroopa a Private Message
To Ed (or whoever may hold answers),

I have been working on an adventure taking place on Blood Tor, the Abyssal layer home to Beshaba and Umberlee (at least, this was the case in the original Great Wheel). Little information exists of the place, and from a combination of accounts from the novel Tymora's Luck and the Planescape line of products, all I really found was that it's centered around a giant rocky peak surrounded with water, that the layer was the site of an early Blood War incursion of the Baatezu (devils), and that its current rulers seized the layer from the Tanar'ri (demons). What I'm more interested in is the "now" rather than the layer's history. What's day-to-day life like for this layer's inhabitants? Do Beshaba and Umberlee concern themselves with Abyssal politics at all, or does their extremely hands-on approach to Toril draw attention away from these matters? Is this layer more or less liveable than those of the Tanar'ri lords? Do portals or other major links exist between Toril (or maybe even other oceanic planets in Realmspace) and Blood Tor?

Thanks in advance,
Lyka
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2019 :  05:45:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all!
After too long a radio silence (work, you understand), I bring the first part of a lore answer from Ed regarding the current roster of folk dwelling in Candlekeep (as a scribe alerted him on Twitter to the two threads here on the matter).

So here are the latest words of Ed:

AN INTRODUCTION TO CANDLEKEEP, written by me and posted at the Candlekeep site, concerns Candlekeep pre-Spellplague.

As of 1490 DR, after my novel THE HERALD, here’s the roster at Candlekeep:

Two dozen Acolytes (postulants in training to become monks). Their duties include kitchen work, cleaning and repairs, and study (all under supervision/tutelage of monks).
Four dozen monks, known as the Avowed. Their duties include guarding Candlekeep, research among its vast and ever-growing library to write down new interpretations and added information in guides that function more or less like encyclopedias, scribe duties to copy out relevant passages on topics for paying clients (whose fees keep Candlekeep running) and taking daily part in the Endless Chaunt of Alaundo.
Some monks have “offices” (named jobs) at Candlekeep, including the Warden of the Gate (who examines and judges writings gifted to Candlekeep as the price of entry), the Master of the Kitchens (head cook), the Master of Herbs (head gardener), the Master of Care (doctor), the Master of House (innkeeper of the House of Rest), the Guide (head of instruction of acolytes and scribes aspiring to an office), and the Chanter (who leads the Endless Chant). All of these offices have understudies, who carry out the duties of the office when the office-holder is off duty (dining or sleeping or taking part in the Endless Chant), and these sub-offices are known as The Echoes (Echo Warden, Echo of Kitchens, Echo of Herbs, Echo of Care, and so on). The Chanter has no Echo, but rather four Voices (monks who possess perfect pitch, pleasant singing and declaiming voices, and who know the Chant in every detail and facet of intonation).
Senior or learned monks among the Avowed (“sages”), currently 14 strong, are known as Master Readers. From their ranks the senior offices are filled: the governing council of eight Great Readers, the First Reader, and the Keeper of the Tomes.
The Keeper rules Candlekeep; his or her word is law, and settles all disputes. The Keeper’s Echo is the First Reader, who is responsible for daily discipline and communications among all who are within Candlekeep’s walls.
The Great Readers debate policy and make recommendations to the Keeper (the Keeper or First Reader or both attend all their formal meetings), and spearhead projects (such as rebuilding or expansion of the monastery, expeditions to acquire valuable books and records, and recruitments of suitable candidates to become monks whenever the ranks of the Avowed are judged too sparse; this is rare, but it was the case after the deadly events of THE HERALD).

...And there you have it. Ed tells me the second part will be the names of the current Avowed and Acolytes, the moment he can thrust aside real-world obligations long enough to find all of his notes (he did comment that almost no one seen in published Realmslore has survived until "now" in the Realms, with 1500s DR only a few years off).
Love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2019 :  07:09:56  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by lookatroopa

To Ed (or whoever may hold answers),

I have been working on an adventure taking place on Blood Tor, the Abyssal layer home to Beshaba and Umberlee (at least, this was the case in the original Great Wheel). Little information exists of the place, and from a combination of accounts from the novel Tymora's Luck and the Planescape line of products, all I really found was that it's centered around a giant rocky peak surrounded with water, that the layer was the site of an early Blood War incursion of the Baatezu (devils), and that its current rulers seized the layer from the Tanar'ri (demons). What I'm more interested in is the "now" rather than the layer's history. What's day-to-day life like for this layer's inhabitants? Do Beshaba and Umberlee concern themselves with Abyssal politics at all, or does their extremely hands-on approach to Toril draw attention away from these matters? Is this layer more or less liveable than those of the Tanar'ri lords? Do portals or other major links exist between Toril (or maybe even other oceanic planets in Realmspace) and Blood Tor?

Thanks in advance,
Lyka

I'm willing to bet that while Umberlee and Beshaba don't get involved - most tanar'ri lords don't, really - the layer's spellcasters and hexblades charge exorbitant prices for their aid in turning luck against the baatezu during skirmishes.

This is somewhat mitigated by the baatezu hiring Banites and Hextorites, who are experienced field commanders and soldier that can operate well even with luck turning against them.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2019 :  12:03:46  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
I just read the fantastic tips on roleplaying Elminster in the twitter-related thread, and since I don't have an active twitter account, I thought of asking here: could you please give similar advice on roleplaying Khelben around 1368/69 DR? Thank you in advance!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2019 :  04:04:24  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Halaku

If I may be so bold, I've a question regarding a certain villain which has started to vex me, to the point where I've given up my years-long custom of lurking to make a post in this forum.

<snip>

From my understanding, it is within the purview of a deity to manifest either directly or indirectly (through a follower) to further his or her portfolio. They may even do so inadvertently, as was depicted in Crucible, wherein Talos impersonated Mystra to further the cause of destruction.

Lathander has no direct opposition to dragons, but I believe he is highly oppositional to undead. So, bringing about, say, a dracolich would be something he'd be against. Depending on who was death god at the time would be indicative of the response. Myrkul would likely have been in favor of undead creations. Cyric...one never knows, but he never seemed to care about something unless it involved enhancing his powers, and Kelemvor does not approve of undead. Regardless, the Cult of the Dragon's ultimate goal (lately) was to get Tiamat into the Realms, and I don't believe followers in the Cult of the Dragon are granted spells by any of the powers.

So, my guess is that Lathander saw something he deemed oppositional to "Dawn, birth, spring, and renewal" and acted according to his best to maintain the "balance." I believe that's why it was Lathander, and not a different deity. Aside from what others have mentioned, I recall Ed saying something (in a video or audio recording) that it's important to remember that the gods are very real in Faerűn, and they're active.

While The Avatar Series by its nature was an over-the-top presence of deities, their presence alone isn't a particularly rare thing. Our biggest problem is a lack of source books for the fifth edition, a campaign guide and the equivalent to Faiths and Pantheons would answer this conclusively, I'm guessing.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2019 :  04:16:43  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

[quote] Aside from what others have mentioned, I recall Ed saying something (in a video or audio recording) that it's important to remember that the gods are very real in Faerűn, and they're active.

While The Avatar Series by its nature was an over-the-top presence of deities, their presence alone isn't a particularly rare thing. Our biggest problem is a lack of source books for the fifth edition, a campaign guide and the equivalent to Faiths and Pantheons would answer this conclusively, I'm guessing.

Exactly. Well said. It isn't just a matter of faith in the Realms: the existence of the gods is a fact. And I agree, something like Faiths and Pantheons and Demihuman Deities, perhaps making it one book instead of two, would be awesome.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Halaku
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2019 :  04:40:08  Show Profile Send Halaku a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

quote:

<snip>

From my understanding, it is within the purview of a deity to manifest either directly or indirectly (through a follower) to further his or her portfolio. They may even do so inadvertently, as was depicted in Crucible, wherein Talos impersonated Mystra to further the cause of destruction.

<snip>

In that case, why haven't we seen the reverse? Let's flip the situation:

Let's pick someone who is a Sammaster-equivalent for the good guys, who isn't a chosen of Mystra. This someone (Call him "Good Guy X") fights against tyranny, hate, and all the things that Bane stands for.

Let's have a bunch of evil somebodies try to assassinate him.

Good Guy X defeats them.

The evil somebodies say "Oh no we need backup!" and *poof* an avatar of Bane shows up.

Good Guy X says "Uh oh."

The avatar of Bane obliterates Good Guy X for defying Bane, the servants of Bane, and the portfolio of Bane.

The end.

This doesn't happen in the Realms. We don't have avatars of the evil gods appearing to clean up failed assassination attempts by finishing the job for their minions.

But in this case. In this, as far as history has revealed, near-singular case, the 'good guys' tried to kill Sammaster, failed, and then an avatar of a good god showed up to do it for them.

I'm left feeling that there's more to this story. There [b]has[b] to be, because otherwise we'd have divine manifestations showing up to handle the business their worshippers tried and failed to do, and signature personages on all sides of the alignment chart finding themselves facing a divine manifestation and then the Fugue Plane.

Since this isn't the way the Realms works... there's more to Sammaster's first death than meets the eye.

Go to Top of Page

Alexander Clark
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2019 :  19:52:15  Show Profile Send Alexander Clark a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Ed tells me the second part will be the names of the current Avowed and Acolytes

I wonder if there are any non-humans among them.
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2019 :  21:08:03  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
quote:
Edits in Blue by Azuth
In that case, why haven't we seen the reverse? Let's flip the situation:

Let's pick someone who is a Sammaster-equivalent for the good guys, who isn't a chosen of Mystra. This someone (We'll call him Adon, High Priest of Mystra) fights against tyranny, hate, and all the things that Cyric stands for.

Let's have a bunch of evil somebodies try to assassinate him.

Adon defeats them.

The evil somebodies say "Oh no we need backup!" and *poof* an avatar of Cyric shows up.

Adon says "Uh oh."

The avatar of Cyric makes Adon go mad and commit suicide for defying Cyric, the servants of Cyric, and the portfolio of Cyric.

The end.
This happened in Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad.

The other thing that I would point out is that if Torm had ever assassinated Fzoul Chembryl in Zhentil Keep, it would have caused a holy war between the two faiths.

On a more practical note, this likely isn't something that happens very often because I doubt the editors at TSR/Wizards/Hasbro would have allowed it, and finally, Realms novels as a whole tend to drift toward "happier" endings.

Regarding in-Realms logic, Lathander must pick his battles wisely. He can't intervene in all issues. That would cause a tipping of The Balance. However, when some of his followers cry out to him and he deems the cause worthy, and it falls within his portfolio to intervene, there's no reason he shouldn't. Lathander is a good-aligned deity, who granted his followers (in 2E) the ability to turn undead four levels higher than their actual level. So, it is clear Lathander finds undead an anathema. Sammaster was creating undead dragons. He was interfering with the natural life order. So Lathander intervened. I suspect there are other instances in Realms Lore (you'd have to ask Ed for specifics) of evil deities doing bad things to good people, but with limited resources, we only have selected printed works. It's also noteworthy that Lathander did not seek to destroy the entire Cult of the Dragon, while that may be a task he prescribes to his followers through their undead-killing mechanics.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000