Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Brainstorming Anchorome
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2020 :  23:17:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We had been discussing two separate groups of bear folk <Urskans> (one polar bear group that ends up being more warlike, angry, and proud... the other is more laid back, living in a non arctic area on the west-northwestern portion of the Adusgi (Adusgee) Forest above the Kaaya'yeeda land which is filled with giant beasts. Here's a first attempt at two models. Will probably make some of the polar bear ones wearing bronze armor in a couple days, as I picture them as farther north but with better "tech" than the people living south. Picturing Bronze level tech utilizing available copper and tin. The ones further south trade for metal when they can, but no mines available. The polar bear ones enslave anyone they can to work their mines (and eat the slaves that die).

Belloo the Black, Defender of the Honey Hole- Bearfolk Druid with Staff of the Honey Hive and Log Shield (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4590962) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Bearfolk Axeman with Bearpaw Shield (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4589631) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2020 :  17:06:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exiled Prince, Baelric the Honeybane, Bearfolk Curseblade of the Frosnibone Court wielding the sword Stormblizzard (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4593218) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2020 :  00:50:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grrawlar Riverwise, Bearfolk Fish Pirate and Hunter of Giant Salmon (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4598029) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Squirrelfolk Archer (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4597618 by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Squirrelfolk Rogue (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4597769 by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2020 :  14:47:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been thinking about it... there really NEEDS to be a jackalope great spirit in Anchorome. Not sure why, but its different. He should be a dire version with wings and white fur I'm thinking. His antlers are surrounded by blue flames... or maybe snowflakes... hmmm, yeah, snowflakes.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2020 :  20:45:37  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Been thinking about it... there really NEEDS to be a jackalope great spirit in Anchorome. Not sure why, but its different. He should be a dire version with wings and white fur I'm thinking. His antlers are surrounded by blue flames... or maybe snowflakes... hmmm, yeah, snowflakes.

I like the creature but not it’s name, as it seemed to have been developed as a bit of a gag.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2020 :  22:51:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:

I like the creature but not it’s name, as it seemed to have been developed as a bit of a gag.

Yeah, that's a decent point, though when you say the name, people know what it is. There IS another name for these creatures. It comes from the alps, and it has them winged. Wolpertinger. Between the two names, I am not sure which sounds less weird to my ear. Then again, some other mixture of jack rabbit and elk, caribou, deer, moose could work instead of antelope (rabbibou? jelk? rabbeer? rabboose?)

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2020 :  23:58:54  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe maransreth,

I dig what you're putting down, but at the same time, I think it is just re-envisioning what technology is in terms of Toril. It almost sounds like you are shooting for an Atlantis form of crystal-like magics, which would be the technology. I don't dislike the idea, so much as I feel there would need to be a barrier in how it manifests so it stays clear of the real world in keeping that distance for us to suspend reality for our games. :)

Thoughts?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2020 :  18:06:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Onyx Elk

A creature of larger size than standard elks, but not nearly as large as giant elks, nor nearly as rare. These beasts, while possessing the earthly flesh and fur of an elk, seemingly have some form of ties to the element of earth. Their bones and antlers are made of the stone known as chalcedony, or more commonly onyx, and comes in a variety of colors, ranging from black, brown, red, pale yellow, and white or more commonly contorted mixtures thereof, with their fur typically coming in a similar but slightly different shade. Their antlers and hooves are jagged and razor sharp, and they are often hunted by Poscadari elves more for their bones and antlers than their meat, but no part of this beast is left to waste. Unlike their herbivorous cousins, onyx elk are omnivores, and they will attack and kill, as well as eat those who would hunt them. Their diet consists not only of eating meat, but also bone, much of which is then turned into the stone which fills their bodies. Typically onyx elk prey on other predators, for instance they may hunt large cats or wolves which prey on normal elks. Its for this reason that many shatjan keep onyx elks amongst their normal herds of deer, elk, and caribou.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 17 Sep 2020 18:50:28
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2020 :  22:24:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filgar Fishclaw, Bearfolk Barbarian of the Frozen North (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4600445) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Snoefer Selkiescourge, "The Cold Justice", Bearfolk Vengeance Seeker (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4601261) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 19 Sep 2020 21:00:06
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2020 :  15:47:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wildleaf Stag of the Adusgee Forest : This unusual form of reindeer possesses horns and hooves of evergrowing wood, as well as a coat not of fur, but rather leaves. In the spring and summer, these leaves are a vibrant green, but in the fall they turn rich reds, browns, and oranges. In the winter, they do not lose their wooden antlers, but they do lose all of their leaves, revealing a pale white fibrous skin. These creatures are notedly hard to track for their natural ability to pass without trace. They also possess a latent ability to perform the druidcraft cantrip, but only in the form of making seeds sprout, flowers bloom, etc.... Their fecal matter is a prized fertilizer, and the snow elves of the north like to trim their leaves before they fall off for winter in order to treat them alchemically to be woven into armor. There are at least three different varieties of Wildleaf stag, each variety possessing different druidic powers in relation to plants, but all seem to possess an ability to transport via plant. These creatures are primarily found in the northwestern portion of the forest, near Raelkath's Sprout, but a large number of them also appear in the vale currently held by the Abeil in the center of the forest.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2020 :  17:00:59  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wildleaf Stag of the Adusgee Forest : This unusual form of reindeer possesses horns and hooves of evergrowing wood, as well as a coat not of fur, but rather leaves. In the spring and summer, these leaves are a vibrant green, but in the fall they turn rich reds, browns, and oranges. In the winter, they do not lose their wooden antlers, but they do lose all of their leaves, revealing a pale white fibrous skin. These creatures are notedly hard to track for their natural ability to pass without trace. They also possess a latent ability to perform the druidcraft cantrip, but only in the form of making seeds sprout, flowers bloom, etc.... Their fecal matter is a prized fertilizer, and the snow elves of the north like to trim their leaves before they fall off for winter in order to treat them alchemically to be woven into armor. There are at least three different varieties of Wildleaf stag, each variety possessing different druidic powers in relation to plants, but all seem to possess an ability to transport via plant. These creatures are primarily found in the northwestern portion of the forest, near Raelkath's Sprout, but a large number of them also appear in the vale currently held by the Abeil in the center of the forest.

Have you compiled your writings on Anchorome anywhere? Particularly on Adusgee? I know you produced the squirrelfolk document.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2020 :  17:24:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Have you compiled your writings on Anchorome anywhere? Particularly on Adusgee? I know you produced the squirrelfolk document.

Mainly just in this thread on the forums. I've been playing with making a race book for the races I've wanted to introduce and maybe including a regional copy of the map I have done. As with so many things, I haven't gotten around to it. I've been having fun making 3d models of the types of creatures that would fit there however just for the art's sake. Been having a lot of fun doing bear folk recently. But when I get an idea (like the onyx elk and the wildleaf stag), I try to throw it in here. If you feel like exploring the area, I'm more than willing to throw ideas your way, as for me, the fun is in the exploration of ideas.

By the way, on the onyx elk, my inspiration there was more of someone who takes the antlers and turns it into a weapon. I picture the bear folk actually doing this. I also picture the primitive giants I have talked about called Pyre Giants using them as weapons as well. It essentially might be like naturally growing glassteel. I'm kind of picturing there being some brown and black bear monks who use it in their fighting style (which is less of a "kung fu" fast monk style and more of a wrestling or sumo fighting style combined with slashing weapons, so a very up close style that's about slashing opponents and overwhelming them with your largesse). Their monastic style is about living large (eating honey, drinking mead, etc...) so maybe drunken monkish. Its not solid in my head, but I want them to have an unarmed group, but I don't want it even remotely asian like.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 20 Sep 2020 19:05:47
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2020 :  00:38:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to think on the above, it might be worthwhile to make a regional supplement for the Adusgee Forest and surrounding areas, extending possibly to islands off the coast, just based on what kind of info we've gotten so far in this particular thread. Towards that end, I don't care who develops it (I may start playing with it, but I may get distracted). But from what we've gotten so far in this thread I think something could be done that has the following sections (just laying them out for discussion and to get an idea going>

On the character races, some might involve rules, some may just reference another document but go into the culture of said group.

character races (bearfolk <polar>) in the north eastern "Great Timberspires" section of the Adusgee Forest.... they may be evil, but they can be PC's

character races (bearfolk <brown/black>) in the eastern edge section of the Adusgee Forest.... bordering on the area with the dire animals (forget the name right now). They live along the river which separates the continent into the two sides

character races (Abeil) in the northerly middle of the Adusgee Forest, kind of near the brown/black bear folk. One of two regions that are known for rapid flowering of plants. A new tribe of Abeil, extended from the ones in the lands of the insect men. In conflict with the large giants nearby that I was calling Pyre Giants. As a side thought, the "Pyre Giants" could be replaced with just some lesser cyclops and fomorians that have ties to the feywild. Not sure which is a better idea. The Abeil are in contact with most other groups in the forest (many other residents want them removed, as they find their "orderly" nature to be a heretical idea for the forest)

character races (Shatjan) - found throughout the northern Adusgee and the lands immediately surrounding it (such as the blacktoe glacier). They particularly are common in the hidden vale of Raelkath's Sprout in the Northeastern Adusgee, where they are found with the Anchorome Hybsil (a size medium version of Hybsil) and kercpa.

character races (anchorome hybsil) - size medium deer/elk tauric folk found primarily in the northern Adusgee and in Raelkath's Sprout within the Adusgee

character races (kercpa) - found in Raelkath's Sprout primarily. A small group live amongst the snow elves of Blacktoe Glacier and another in Pagunki Wood portion of southern Adusgee. To note, "small groups" means coverage, but not numbers. Where they exist, they exist in the thousands.

character races (small raccoon folk) - exclusively in the Pagunki wood portion of southern Adusgee, living amongst some forest gnomes

character races (foxiytaurs / small tauric fox folk ... they call themselves the Ee'na'li) - exclusively in the Pagunki wood portion of southern Adusgee, living amongst some forest gnomes

character races (forest gnomes) - exclusively in the Pagunki wood portion of southern Adusgee. Numerous there, but they don't leave the forest. Many outsiders don't know they exist, but recently they've decided that being isolated is not in their best interest.

character races (half elves of poscadari/minnenewah origin) - - exclusively in the Pagunki wood portion of southern Adusgee, living amongst some forest gnomes

POSSIBLE other character race (Lythari / Vil Adanrath) - a feywild portal connecting the Hordelands region of ancient Raumathar to the feywild has a nearby connection back to the western Adusgee forest. These Lythari have conflicts with nearly everyone nearby (they have a problem with the werewolves of the Adusgi because they consider them corrupt spirits, they have a problem with the Polar Urskan as they are bloodthirsty, they have a problem with the shatjan and hybsil nearby because they hunt deer, they have a problem with the alaghi that they encounter over territorial hunting grounds). They actually have a relationship with the snow elves and Poscadari elves that's somewhat neutral to good.

Monsters (pulling from memory some of the things we've discussed without going through the threads):
jackalopes (basically al-mir'aj with different horns)
dire jackalopes
winged jackalopes
dire/giant hummingbirds (which are size small)
large bluejays (which are also size small)
onyx elk
wildleaf stag
giant woodpecker
giant beaver
giant salmon

Then I'm thinking some exploration of islands off the coast of Anchorome would be a fun way to add on to things (in particular, I'd personally want to add my tharch which moved off from the mainland at Fort Flame and established themselves where they can live isolated on an island(s) and make forays to the mainland for supplies as needed). Maybe have some Metahel that have expanded to this side of the continent as well (kind of bringing them into contact with the Ruathym and other "Northmen" islands now that they are returned via the second sundering). I don't feel a need to make the islands match the FRIA, and perhaps some islands of Abeir have been brought over, but possibly with new inhabitants.

Magic items & Spells: Maybe explore some new magic items, spells, etc... Maybe some of it pulled from Abeir.

Religions (throwing out what I have on hand.... some may be VERY localized, like Verenestra and Baervan Wildwanderer):

Magnaer the Bear, Lord of Strength, one of the Thunder Twins – - Metahel deity that is worshipped by the bearfolk as well. Magnaer is noted as being extremely strong and hairy, with great fists and an expertise in wrestling. Magnaer is often portrayed wielding a great club, Guldrasil, made of a limb of the world ash which he acquired while defending his father from demons as Thoros hung helpless. Magnaer tore the limb free in order to remove Thoros as his brother and sister held off the demon hordes. This limb is said to have absorbed the blood of his father Thoros and his grandfather Asagrimmr when both of them hung from the tree to learn of rune magics. This god is noted as having a female bear companion, Balanis, who periodically changes shape into that of a woman. It is rumored that her ability to change shape was a gift bestowed by Magnaer, and he did thereby accept the curse that he himself must periodically wander the world as a bear himself. Other stories say that Magnaer received Balanis as a bride-price for a service performed for another deity known as Father Bear or Balador, having come to Balador's aid when he was attacked by a great werewolf named Daragor. It is said in that story that Magnaer was bitten by Daragor and that Balador changed Magnaer's curse by mixing his blood with that of Balanis during their marriage ceremony. There are stories that these two did birth a race of intelligent bear folk, and nearly anytime the two of them are seen they are followed by three young, inquisitive bear cubs. Unlike his aggressive brother, Moedae, Magnaer is known for simply wanting to relax and eat, but he is always called out by foolish giants and other creatures who seek to best him in combat. He is the son of Yaernsacsa and Thoros.

Balanis, the Queen of Honey, Mead, and Medicine, Bearfolk mother goddess - Magnaer's wife, see above, believed to be a daughter of the werebear god Balador and/or Father Bear. Known in the Metahel pantheon, but not actively worshipped.

Verenestra the Oak Princess - dryad goddess, also worshipped in Raelkath's Sprout by kercpa, dryads, and the foxiytaurs (who worship several nature deities and give no priority to any specific one).

Raelkath Maneeboughs - another name for Relkath of the Many Branches of the Yuirwood Pantheon. His worship features mainly in the Adusgee Forest, in the area around Raelkath's Sprout (a giant tree) where he's worshipped by treants, kercpa, anchorome hybsil, and Shatjan

Rititisk the Clever and his giant jackalope mount, Harifur - Kercpa trickster deity, also known in the Metahel pantheon, but not actively worshipped. His mount, Harifur, is a jackalope that gains abilities from creatures by breeding with them. Thus have appeared many different types of jackalopes in the world (regular, giant, winged, etc..)

Shakak, the Spirit of Winter - worshipped by the Bearfolk who live in the icier lands
Spirit of Magpie - a lesser spirit that serves Shakak, but is also known to serve some magpie aarakocra on the northeastern side of the continent

Eldunna, Keeper of the Golden Mangos, Guardian of the Goldenheart Spring, Goddess of Young Love - This golden haired goddess is a goddess of rivers, springs, and harvesting fruits and grains. She grows the golden mangos that give the gods their perpetual youth. She is also known as a powerful brewer, making teas that produce calmness, mead which inspires happiness, droughts to cure ailments, and she can cry golden tears that inspire love. She brews these things in a giant cauldron which she is said to have received from her father. She is also known as a matchmaker who often helps young lovers find one another. She is served by the spirits of those women who died in service to love, known as the Sjofnnar, who are said to fly upon pegasi searching the world for men whose hearts need to be lightened by love before they turn to darker passions. Firing their ethereal arrows from the safety of invisibility, dipped in Eldunna's tears, they seek to turn these men towards individuals who will create a strong union. She is said to be the daughter of a sea god named Faeyordon, and she is said to be a hostage from another “rival tribe of gods” known as the Faernir. Her brother is Faerthandir.

Faerthandir, Lord of Spring Plantings, the Sun, Light, Lord of Beauty and Flowers, Keeper of the Sun Blade - This golden haired god is noted as being exceptionally handsome. He blesses men with virility, blesses the seeding of fields, and is often portrayed with marigolds in his hair. He has a job to pulling the sun across the sky each day while riding a red and gold furred dire Foxibou, an animal resembly a giant fox with the antlers of a deer growing from his head. As a result, many use the head of a foxibou with a sun surrounding it as a symbol of this god. It is said that he fights with the rune-scribed antlers which he gained from his mount. It is also said that in a rather strange twist, he fell in love with a giant goddess by the name of Eauhlannis, and that he sacrificed an item of great power to gain her hand in marriage. He is said to be the son of a sea god named Faeyordon, and he is said to be a hostage from another “rival tribe of gods” known as the Faernir. His sister is Eldunna.

Wily Fox Great Spirit - worshipped by the Foxiytaurs and thought to be a servant of Faerthandir (some representations show him with antlers like his golden furred foxibou mount)

Baervan Wildwander & his racoon companion Chiktikka Fastpaws- gnomish trickster/nature deity and his racoon companion, worshipped by the forest gnomes and the racoon folk.

Sheela Peryroyl - worshipped by the short ones, though the foxiytaurs also feature her in the story of their creation and often worship her. EDIT: May change this story up now that I'm laying all this out. Eldunna of the Metahel Pantheon works just as well and has the same portfolios, and it gives me the ability to feature Eldunna more.

Besparr the many-legged – Lord of hooved animals, Asperii and Hippocampi. It is said by the Metahel that Besparr is born of a pairing of Valigor the Runtborn Giant while in the form of a doe and a great primordial Caribou. Besparr appears as an eight legged caribou of silver and grey fur and enormous antlers that can ride the winds, but he can also enter the sea in the form of a hippocampi or appear as an asperii or giant ram. It is said that Besparr is both male and female, and he has both fathered and born offspring with other entities, including legendary horses, stags, goats, and rams that serve the Metahel deities. Besparr is typically not worshipped outright, but rather worshipped as part of a shrine to Thoordra Thorosdottir or Sifya the War Mother. The telling of the consummation of Besparr is a common story to young Metahel children, and he features in many tales of Asagrimmr prior to his death. Primarily worshipped in Anchorome, his worship has spread to Katashaka with the coming of the Metahel. In Anchorome he is worshipped by centaurs, asperii, Poscadari Elves, Metahel humans, avariel elves, and aquatic elves

Faersellis Meunnindun – another hostage gained in trade from the Faerir tribe, Faersellis is a rugged god of hunting, mountains, snow, and rivers. It's said that he voluntarily left the Faerir over some internal falling out with the tribal leaders of the Faerir, involving his choosing of an unsuitable mate named Megwandir. He is often portrayed in the form of a goshawk descending with a white feathered underbelly, or that of a black and white magpie, and its said that he wears a cloak which allows him to change form. When the god Asagrimmr was alive, it was said that Faersellis served as his eyes in the world, ranging in the sky every night and returning to whisper the happenings into Asagrimmr's ears. With the death of Asagrimmr, Faersellis' involvement with the rest of the pantheon has lessened. Its said he does not like Thoros or his children, but he will come if called by his fellow Faerir. He is said to be a rugged hunter who hates frost giants, and spends much of his time on forays into the lands of Thrym and other giants, watching for their plots against the Metahel. Its also said that this is the same god spoken of by the avariel and snow elves of northern Anchorome and Aurune under the name Tarsellis Meunniduin.

Faernmarel Mystarane – another hostage gained in trade from the Faerir tribe, Faernmarel Mystarane is known as “the hungry wolf” for his tendency to don a wolf's fur cloak and hunt amongst the wild lands of the world. Where Faersellis is seen amongst the mountains and snow, Faernmarel hunts amongst the forests and plains. When the god Asagrimmr was alive, it was said that Faernmarel served as his personal guard. With the death of Asagrimmr, Faernmarel's involvement with the rest of the pantheon has lessened. Its said he does not like Thoros or his children, but he will come if called by his fellow Faerir. He is said to be a rugged hunter who hates dark elves and the gluttony of hill giants, cyclops, and Fomorians spends much of his time on forays roaming the planes, watching for their plots against the Metahel. It is also said that this is the same god spoken of by the Poscadari elves and Lythari of Northern Anchorome under the name Fenmarel Mestarine, as well as the foxiytaurs of the Pagunki Wood.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 21 Sep 2020 00:50:18
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2020 :  00:48:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, just curious, since we have the canon "hint" given in City of Gold that the Azuposi are probably from Kara-Tur's far northern wastes, what do you think of having some other Kara-Tur races coming over, and where would you place them. The ones I was specifically thinking about and that still "fit" the region are hengeyokai of the fox, weasel, hare, and badger ethnicities. I wouldn't want them in the Adusgee, and we kind of have a lot of stuff going on where you put all the Minnenewah. I was kind of thinking they could fit in the northwestern portion somewhere, separated from the rest of the population and possibly a thorn in the side of the bird folk (or hunted by them). They'd basically look human, but have the ability to take on animal form (I'd probably recommend stripping the 3e hybrid form and stick with the first edition they can simply take animal form a certain amount of time a day.... and maybe when they take the form they might have to stay in the form for a while before changing back (maybe like an hour). I don't THINK we've actually had hengeyokai rules put out for 5e (though I bet there are some on DM's guild worth looking at).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2020 :  12:45:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seethyr,

Hey, I thought since you and I have talked a little bit about designing other continents and my take on Katashaka and your take on Anchorome/Lopango/Maztica... I saw some youtube video and then I saw another one about the "top 10 races people want to see migrated from 3.5". I don't know if it was his PERSONAL list or if he did a poll, but it sounded like a poll input. Given our discussions and some of the stuff I've seen the two of us make, I found it kind of interesting enough that I'd post the list they came up with (some of the things, I wonder if people weren't messing with him, but then again...)

10. Phanaton - this is a small size creature that essentially looks very much like a flying squirrel... reason I found it interesting, I added a flying version of kercpa (granted mine's size tiny).
9. Darfellan - some kind of killer whale people. Not sure why, but I felt like you had looked into these already. I know you did some penguinfolk that were weird but interesting (complete with flying tapirs).
8. Glimmerfolk - I know you went here with one of your supplements
7. Spellscale - I don't recall these at all, but some kind of scaly people with dragon heritage
6. Killoren - a plant race kind of like elves. Reason this caught my eye is that its very much what I wanted to do with my Watili flower folk minus the fact that they're bland looking (i.e. all green or all brown)
5. Exiled Modron - not sure of the draw of these versus another construct person, like a warforged, or a nimblewright that's gained sentience or any of other ideas, but..
4. Lupin - unsurprisingly, a dog/wolf humanoid race. I know I wanted several varieties of such (gnolls, wolf, and a more "saluki"/"doberman" race resembling the classic Egyptian Anubis look)
3. Nycter - a small bat folk. Found it interesting as I wanted to put in a bat folk (using Bainligor which are a FR race found in Drizz'ts guide to the underdark) following Camazotz in Katashaka/Lopango. Granted, not small race, but... I did also find it interesting just how many versions of bat folk we have across editions (there's some other version in the 3e underdark supplement)
2. Ghost Elves - from a dragon article. Some elves from a dragon article with an interesting back history that are hidden away. I had thought about putting some of these on the moon instead of the idea of the Arak (or alongside), but I kind of felt I was going a little overboard with the "elf-like" races.
1. Dragonborn of Bahamut - this one I was very suspect of and I really wondered if it wasn't people choosing it out of spite, but perhaps some people are really adamant about the "I chose to change into that" versus having a race born that way.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2020 :  16:34:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Graelu Longslumber, Bearfolk Master of the Stinging Bee Fighting Style (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4604706) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2020 :  05:13:54  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Seethyr,

Hey, I thought since you and I have talked a little bit about designing other continents and my take on Katashaka and your take on Anchorome/Lopango/Maztica... I saw some youtube video and then I saw another one about the "top 10 races people want to see migrated from 3.5". I don't know if it was his PERSONAL list or if he did a poll, but it sounded like a poll input. Given our discussions and some of the stuff I've seen the two of us make, I found it kind of interesting enough that I'd post the list they came up with (some of the things, I wonder if people weren't messing with him, but then again...)

10. Phanaton - this is a small size creature that essentially looks very much like a flying squirrel... reason I found it interesting, I added a flying version of kercpa (granted mine's size tiny).
9. Darfellan - some kind of killer whale people. Not sure why, but I felt like you had looked into these already. I know you did some penguinfolk that were weird but interesting (complete with flying tapirs).
8. Glimmerfolk - I know you went here with one of your supplements
7. Spellscale - I don't recall these at all, but some kind of scaly people with dragon heritage
6. Killoren - a plant race kind of like elves. Reason this caught my eye is that its very much what I wanted to do with my Watili flower folk minus the fact that they're bland looking (i.e. all green or all brown)
5. Exiled Modron - not sure of the draw of these versus another construct person, like a warforged, or a nimblewright that's gained sentience or any of other ideas, but..
4. Lupin - unsurprisingly, a dog/wolf humanoid race. I know I wanted several varieties of such (gnolls, wolf, and a more "saluki"/"doberman" race resembling the classic Egyptian Anubis look)
3. Nycter - a small bat folk. Found it interesting as I wanted to put in a bat folk (using Bainligor which are a FR race found in Drizz'ts guide to the underdark) following Camazotz in Katashaka/Lopango. Granted, not small race, but... I did also find it interesting just how many versions of bat folk we have across editions (there's some other version in the 3e underdark supplement)
2. Ghost Elves - from a dragon article. Some elves from a dragon article with an interesting back history that are hidden away. I had thought about putting some of these on the moon instead of the idea of the Arak (or alongside), but I kind of felt I was going a little overboard with the "elf-like" races.
1. Dragonborn of Bahamut - this one I was very suspect of and I really wondered if it wasn't people choosing it out of spite, but perhaps some people are really adamant about the "I chose to change into that" versus having a race born that way.

I like this list a lot and yes, the Glimmerfolk showed up in Limitless Light as did the Darfellan in The Orca Folk by Nathan Wormer. Phanatons I believe were bigtime Mystaran races and the killoren from one of the 3e splatbooks.

Ill also take an exiled modron over a warforged anyday.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2020 :  00:35:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Antler Staff (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4609746) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2020 :  03:40:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baernard Berrypaw, Bearfolk Forest Mage (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4610790) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2020 :  15:56:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Surprisingly, I didn't see anything like this in Aurora's Catalogue, so, what the hell...

Paiyatemu's Abeilors / Micha Pens / Couatl's Colors / Faerie Drake Wax / Butterfly Quills

As a result of a return of Anchorome from its sojourn in Abeir, a new product has begun making its way from this far off land to the shores of Faerun via the city of Fort Flame. The product was originally created by an Azuposi native of the Pasocada Basin, he uncovered both a link to extremely clean charcoal, a very smooth and pure form of wax, and a rather odd metallic pigmentation. The charcoal came from the Black Mesa in Azuposi lands, and the pure wax came from trading with the Abeil bee folk of the land of the insect men for candlewax. The pigment came from the cast off remains of a powder known as Micha which is a magical silt found in the city of Michaca. When combined in the proper amounts, a sturdy stick of a bright golden hue which can be made and used to color on paper. When the city of Michaca was visited by a Deneiran scribe of the city of Fort Flame, he "discovered" this "golden pen" in use by local children to make pictures of the sun, and he inquired into its creation. The Deneiran excitedly asked about this creation, and he traded anything and everything of value that he held, down to his own silken underwear for a few large jars of the waste Micha that the Azuposi use to decorate their canyon walls. The Azuposi who did this trade were said to laugh uncontrollably, but the gilded priest was rumored that he would gladly use this outsider to deliver color to the world, for it would bring the blessing of Paiyetemu, the Sun Youth, upon them. The Deneiran then worked with a refugee Thayan alchemist in the city of Fort Flame to refine the process for creating these golden colored wax sticks and actually worked out a process for tinting them many other colors besides golden colored. Over time, similar resources to micha were found in the lands of the west, such as pyrite, that could be used to create the metallic looking coloring sticks, which were used by the church of Deneir to give visiting children a fun activity if they finished their scribe work and did a good job. Still, nothing is quite as vibrant as the sticks made with micha, and trade with the azuposi for the lesser quality Micha that they do not want is done exclusively with the church of Deneir in Fort Flame in honor of "the naked scribe". Its use quickly spread to the island colonies off the eastern coast of Anchorome, and artistry soon became a common activity for children and adults in these places. The demand for abeil wax grew, and soon another abeil colony was discovered to be forming within the midst of the Adusgee Forest, and trade with this colony began for honey, wax, and giant flower petals which could be boiled to produce dyes.

Knowledge of the Micha Pens was brought to Baldur's Gate from its colony in Fort Flame whenever Anchorome returned to the world, though at the time it wasn't thought to be a major invention. However, a Sunite Priestess was said to see the power to spread simple beauty in them, and she quickly "bought up every single box of them before they could even be offloaded from the ship and commissioned the making of ten times their number on the spot". In truth, the beautiful flame haired priestess offered to go out to dinner with the captain of the ship, and after confessing that she loved the vibrant "coloring sticks", he gave her every one of them to profess his undying love. Then in an act of great generosity, this priestess assigned her acolytes the task of delivering boxes of paper and these Micha pens to every orphanage and school in the local area, as well as dumping a stack of them on the doorstep of Candlekeep to give freely to visiting scribes. They were an instant hit for something so simple and cheap. As with many such "discoveries" it is quickly being copied by candlemakers up and down the sword coast to adapt and make a new product from old materials. The long name by which they are known in Anchorome has become shortened in the realms, where they are often known as "Paiyas", "Abeilors", or a corruption of the longer name as "Paiylors". One group of Amnish traders in particular seek to capitalize on their link to "the Retunred lands of the West" by calling them "Couatl's Colors" and making available a boxed package with a colorful rainbow winged serpent on the box, and including in said box more colors than any other merchant has so far been able to actively gather into a single kit, as well as including a pad of perhaps the cheapest quality paper ever made. The "Couatl Sticks" however are sold cheaply, more to be given as midwinter gifts to children, but they sell quicker than they can be produced, which is why other companies are managing to break into the market so well. Within the Moonshae Isles, wax traded with the mead drinking northmen as well as dust from "faerie wings" traded with the fey of Synnoria (which may just be a strange pollen from flowers), has enabled them to produce a competing product which they call "Faerie Drake Wax". The people of Baldur's Gate refer to them as "Butterfly Quills" and are experimenting with using a mixture of whale oil and beeswax to make an even cheaper version of them.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 01 Oct 2020 16:03:36
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2020 :  15:30:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seethyr,

Hey take this in and see if it sparks anything with you.

I see in Blacktoe Glacier that you introduced the Urskan as a race (which is cool, as I hadn't gotten to it yet). I'm going to take your race though and break it into a subrace (not sure how yet). I'm then going to introduce subraces that are woodland (i.e. brown, black, and even blue-grey furred as an odd variety) that's size medium and cave (same colorations as woodland, just size large and not sure the stat differences, but more savage) and Surface Quaggoth (want a better name) that's size medium and white furred like the polar version, but less civilized. Only the large polar ones like you describe will have the martial training with armor like you have (i.e. I'll keep that ability on that subrace). I'll probably detail the "cestus" like weapon that the Urskan were noted to use in frostburn and make that common to all subraces.

So, that got me thinking about thematics for that race. For instance, amongst the woodland and cave perhaps both have monks who follow "the stinging bee" fighting style, while others may have turned to worship of the great spirit of Sun Youth (Paiyetemu) and follow "the floating butterfly" fighting style which is almost a drunken monk type of style. Then again, I thought "floating butterfly" might make better as a barbarian spirit totem... or maybe both. Perhaps "floating butterfly" enthusiasts can also learn pluma magics. I'm also liking the idea of "floating butterfly" people getting a butterfly familiar (and I'm trying real hard to not tie them to faerie dragons, but its very tempting). Any ideas pop in your head?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2020 :  21:04:59  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Seethyr,

I see in Blacktoe Glacier that you introduced the Urskan as a race (which is cool, as I hadn't gotten to it yet). I'm going to take your race though and break it into a subrace (not sure how yet). I'm then going to introduce subraces that are woodland (i.e. brown, black, and even blue-grey furred as an odd variety) that's size medium and cave (same colorations as woodland, just size large and not sure the stat differences, but more savage) and Surface Quaggoth (want a better name) that's size medium and white furred like the polar version, but less civilized. Only the large polar ones like you describe will have the martial training with armor like you have (i.e. I'll keep that ability on that subrace). I'll probably detail the "cestus" like weapon that the Urskan were noted to use in frostburn and make that common to all subraces.

So, that got me thinking about thematics for that race. For instance, amongst the woodland and cave perhaps both have monks who follow "the stinging bee" fighting style, while others may have turned to worship of the great spirit of Sun Youth (Paiyetemu) and follow "the floating butterfly" fighting style which is almost a drunken monk type of style. Then again, I thought "floating butterfly" might make better as a barbarian spirit totem... or maybe both. Perhaps "floating butterfly" enthusiasts can also learn pluma magics. I'm also liking the idea of "floating butterfly" people getting a butterfly familiar (and I'm trying real hard to not tie them to faerie dragons, but its very tempting). Any ideas pop in your head?

I am definitely thinking bout this. I think that despite their outlooks, it might be a good conflict for the alaghi and umpleby of Adusgi Forest. One day, we might want to take a look at the forest as a whole and give it the Blacktoe Glacier treatment. You could include your kercpa, the bearfolk, more on the alaghi, the pagunki half elves, Ranokk,Grandim's Weir, etc. That's one of the things I hope to eventually do, but the Kaaya-yeeda is really next on my list.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2020 :  21:20:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Seethyr,

I am definitely thinking bout this. I think that despite their outlooks, it might be a good conflict for the alaghi and umpleby of Adusgi Forest. One day, we might want to take a look at the forest as a whole and give it the Blacktoe Glacier treatment. You could include your kercpa, the bearfolk, more on the alaghi, the pagunki half elves, Ranokk,Grandim's Weir, etc. That's one of the things I hope to eventually do, but the Kaaya-yeeda is really next on my list.

Speaking on the kaaya-yeeda, if you do detail it, what I think would be great would be if the NORTHERN portion of it is hunted by the woodland urskan (have them on the forest edge, so some villages in the forest and some along the river that goes down the center of the continent). Perhaps some of the bear folk are "outlaws" and "pirate" giant salmon off crews fishing in the river rather than catching it themselves.

I put in some effort today to make the four subraces of bearfolk. For the "surface quaggoth"... I kind of decided to go a little odd, and make a psionic variant of bearfolk that can be all colorations. Mind taking a look? I still need to write up their steelclaw/razorclaw weapons and put a blurb for all the subraces. I also want to reread your history for blacktoe glacier and see how to fit that stuff in and add some history, but I figured first get teh ruleset right. This subrace get a lot of cantrips, but they're not particularly powerful ones mind you. Also, note the "thumb claw"

Ability Score Increase: Your strength increases by 2

Age: Urskans mature young and are considered adults at 8 years old, but cannot truly compete with their brethren, clan and tribe mates until they reach the age of 10. The age of an urskan is widely variable, with death by violence or accident taking many by an early age. They otherwise would die of old age typically by 70 years old.

Alignment: Urskan alignment can run the gamut but tends to vary based upon subrace choice. Generally good and evil are not strong dividers in their societies, for such moralistic stances are considered outside the spirit of nature. However, their societies do tend to vary along the law and chaos axis, with some groups being driven more by a code of honor and familial responsibility.

Size: Urskan size varies between medium and large size based on subrace choice

Speed: If you are empty handed, your speed is 40. Otherwise you speed is 30.

Great Stamina: You have a “pre level” of Exhaustion available to you which has no ill effects. Effectively, you need to suffer two levels of exhaustion before feeling negative effects and you don't die of exhaustion unless you have suffered 7 levels.

Keen Smell: You gain advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Natural Weaponry: Your claws and bite are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. Your claws do 1d4 + your strength modifier in slashing damage and your bite does 1d4 piercing damage, replacing the normal bludgeoning damage of an unarmed strike.

Thumb Claw: Urskan have a “thumb claw” similar to that of the panda which allows some simple manipulation of objects. Generally, this allows them the ability to perform rudimentary but not fine object manipulation. As a result, they can hold a hammer for instance, but lack the ability to sew with a needle and thread. When writing, they often carve runes with their claws or use their claw tips with ink as if they are writing quills. This prevents Urskan from using weapons such as a bow, and many weapon use hurled weapons. It is not uncommon for pluma and/or hishna magic to be used to enhance the range of thrown weapons or have them return to the hand of the hurler. This lack of a true thumb does not hinder spellcasting, and many spellcasters favor the use of spells such as unseen servant which give them the ability to perform fine manipulation. Some smaller subraces of Urskan replace this ability.

Urskan Martial Training: You have proficiency with razorclaws and steelclaws (new weapons, see above)

Languages: You can speak, read, and write common and Urskan.

subrace: There are 4 common subraces of Urskan on the continent of Anchorome. Its rumored that others exist, such as a black and white variety near Kara-Tur and a small tree climbing variety near Osse. Some of these races look amazingly similar to an outsider, varying mainly by size, though to Urskan the differences are numerous.

SUBRACE OPTION FOR Thonabier below (they're the one's that are like Quaggoth Thonots a little)

Thonabier

Thonabier Urskan are by far the most unusual of all Urskan, having adapted to use the power of their minds to overcome many of the issues caused by lacking a true thumb. As a result, they possess keen telekinetic and telepathic abilities. This rare breed of Urskan is thought by some to be related to the quaggoths that serve often as mercenaries and slaves of the dark elves in the underdark. In truth, most Urskan do not have good relations with elven communities at all, and many believe this is due to past conflicts over forested areas. Others say that elves experimented on thonabier urskan, though which breed of elf or fey varies in the telling, with snow, high, gold, dark, star, and even shadar-kai appearing in the list. Thonabier urskan come in all standard fur colors of bears, including white, brown, black, cinammon, gray, blonde and even bluish-gray. Generally their fur color matches their environment (i.e. white or grays in snowy areas, browns and blacks in forests, blondes in plains, grays and blacks in mountains. However, most of these urskan use their natural prestidigitation powers to change their fur color to match their whims. Their eye colors are typically light or dark brown, but gray, green, yellow, orange, and even blue, silver, or violet have been reported. Generally Thonabier urskan communities keep to themselves, but its not uncommon to find them sharing their community with polar or woodland urskan. Children born of unions with other kinds of urskan are possible, but they invariably take on the traits of one parent or another. In some instances, the natural magical abilities of the thonabier has been known to even skip a generation and reappear in grandchildren.

Thonabier urskan have a tendency to favor spellcasting, with sorcerers and warlocks being fairly common. However many also become wizards, paladins, rangers, fighters favoring the eldritch knight discipline or rogues favoring arcane trickster. Given their meditative lifestyle, monks and spirit shamans (see DM's Guild offering of ANC1 Anchorome Campaign Guide for info on spirit shamans) are not unheard of either. Clerics and druids are less common, and bards are little heard of, but when they are, they are usually known far and wide for their unusual voice and intrinsic talents. Barbarians are generally found amongst the other subraces of Urskan.

Ability Score Increase: Your charisma or intelligence score increases by 1 (choose only one)

Alignment: Thonabier Urskan take on any alignment, but most tend to believe in a concept of good and evil, and they either tend in one direction or the other as a community. However, most of these groups are more concerned with their community as a collective and less so the surrounding world. As a result, there tend to be power hungry groups of Thonabiers who see no problem with killing people outside their community, and there are also altruistic groups of Thonabiers who will accept in outsiders and allow them to live amongst them so long as they work towards community goals. The idea of loners amongst Thonabiers however is not a common theme, as most feel that they need their community to thrive, and thus they tend towards being lawful in alignment.

Size: Thonabier Urskan are amongst the smallest of all Urskan, but can still grow to from 6 feet to a little over 8 feet tall and about 7 feet long. You weigh anywhere from almost 200 pounds to almost 800 pounds. Your size is medium.
Here's how to determine your height and weight randomly, starting with rolling a size modifier
size modifier = 3d10
Height= 5 feet + 9 inches + your size modifier in inches
Weight in pounds = 190 + (2d10 x size modifier)

Psionic Talents: You can manifest magical powers with nothing but your thoughts, and your spellcasting ability modifier with these abilities uses your charisma bonus. You gain use of the cantrips prestidigitation, message and mage hand. You also can cast mage armor 1/day. When you reach 3rd level, you may cast unseen servant 1/day. When you reach 5th level, you may cast unseen servant as a ritual

Cunning Cantrippery: You can take a bonus action each turn in combat order to use your mage hand ability to perform simple actions within range that bring things to your own real hand, such as retrieving a thrown weapon, grabbing a shield from across the room and bringing it to hand, picking up a disarmed weapon, etc... In addition, they may use their mage hand for work such as drawing an arrow and nocking it in a bow, even multiple times per round if they can perform multiple attacks. To note, this can allow them to both wield a bow and use a shield at the same time, or wield a bow and keep something in their other hand. It will not allow them to wield a bow and use, activate or attack with an object in their other hand (other than the aforementioned use of a shield). In non-stressful situations, your mage hand can be used for much finer control with extremely lightweight objects that weigh less than a pound, such as a writing quill, sewing needle, musical instruments, or even lock picks. Your range when doing such fine work is reduced to a foot. This does however allow you the ability to, for instance, use two hands to hold something in place while simultaneously sewing it together or play a glaur horn while also playing bongos.
In addition, you can instead use a bonus action each round to cast a message cantrip or activate or change an effect with your prestidigitation cantrip. When using the prestidigitation cantrip on yourself as a target, you have much greater control and can even change your fur, clothing, or armor coloration.

Naturally Stealthy: Thonabier have become skilled at using their psionic abilities to enhance their chances at hiding or distracting others. For instance, they may change their coloration to camouflage themselves, or they may make an odor to distract targets to look in another direction for a few seconds. As a result, you have proficiency in the stealth skill.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2020 :  23:06:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote

On Ranokk, I was thinking perhaps the runes on the trees might be something we might tie to the Metahel/northmen culture. For instance, maybe some northmen from Ruathym came here at one point long ago when they were first discovering Ruathym and the surrounding islands. Maybe they put a "mythal" like area of protection around their village to protect them if they were attacked. Maybe this area of protection prevents lyncanthropes and extraplanar entities from entering the area, and thus they were protected from werewolves. Maybe the people from Fort Flame built here because they wanted to study some ruins they had uncovered. When the spellplague happened, this "mythal" protected the Faerunian people there and stopped their transfer to Abeir. Maybe it kept them in Toril, and as they saw the world fading away they jumped on ships and sailed to an island that is now nearby and surprised to see a continent returned. Maybe it sent them to the feywild. Maybe it sent them to the spirit world. Maybe it sent them to the home plane of the metahel gods.

by the way, here's the woodland urskan subrace for discussion. I'm picturing them living on the eastern/northeastern edges of the adusgee forest and all throughout the open area north of the kaaya-yeeda. I also picture them in conflict with the owlkin of the Ne'eshjaa wood, who possibly keep owlbears as guard animals/pets.

Woodland

Ability Score Increase: Your wisdom and dexterity scores both increase by 1

Alignment: Woodland Urskan take on any alignment, but most tend to believe in a concept of good and evil, and they favor good. They are also the most social of all Urskan, often congregating in large communities and building large log lodges for a shared community to live within. Woodland Urskan are perhaps the most likely group to view other groups as possible allies against the evil actions of others. Woodland Urskan in particular view the concept of eating other intelligent life, except in conditions of dire duress, to be abhorrent. This is actually a very enlightened viewpoint for most urskan, who would consider doing otherwise to be a wasteful kill.

Size: Woodland Urskan are amongst the smallest of all Urskan, but can still grow to from 6 feet to a little over 8 feet tall and about 7 feet long. You weigh anywhere from almost 200 pounds to almost 800 pounds. Your size is medium.
Here's how to determine your height and weight randomly, starting with rolling a size modifier
size modifier = 3d10
Height= 5 feet + 9 inches + your size modifier in inches
Weight in pounds = 190 + (2d10 x size modifier)

True Thumb: Woodland Urskan possess a true thumb rather than a thumb claw. This gives you much more ability to perform fine manipulation and allows them a wider array of weaponry (such as bows). In effect, your paw does not hinder you in any way.

Natural Born Hunter: You have proficiency in two of the following skills of your choice: Athletics, Nature, Animal Handling, or Survival

Raging Bear: You can enter a rage, as presented in the player's handbook entry for Barbarians, once, after which you must perform a long rest to recover the ability. If you are a barbarian, this increases the number of rages that you can perform per long rest by 1.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2020 :  12:44:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, I just came to a bit of a realization that might make a few things simpler. You know how I've been repeatedly saying I wanted some kind of "Pyre Giants", and I basically wanted them to look like large humans but with a redder skin... I had totally forgotten about Verbeeg being so human looking. Perhaps instead of having these giants having some kind of fire resistance, they're just living in the same places where they were subjugated and finally ousted their oppressive fire giant cousins. I wanted some to be living amongst volcanos on the peninsular arm at the top of Anchorome, and have them in conflict with the Urskan that live in an area I've named "The Great Timberspires".... essentially an area with some snow but gigantic "redwood" like trees amongst a snowy landscape.... So perhaps its actually Verbeeg and they're holding some of the volcanic territory, and then there are fire giants holding other areas and the two giant races don't get along... and neither of them gets along with the Polar Urskan either. Some of these Verbeeg (Like the Pasocada elves) started to head south into the Adusgee, and they found an area of rocky land, lakes and hot springs in the middle of the forest. These hot springs also drain rich minerals into the forest nearby and large flowering plants also grow nearby as a result. From here, over centuries, they explored the surrounding territories, and they discovered some very human like "hill giants" who resemble giant versions of the nearby human natives (canon from City of Gold I believe, and you reintroduced them in the Anchorome set). These "hill giants" were an experiment by "The Ancient Ones", and they were looked upon with love by the verbeeg. The two began to breed, and the verbeeg of Anchorome began to take on an even more "large human-like" look and ruddier skin.

There is also a portal between the northern volcanic lands and the lands of Lopango. So, perhaps long ago, when there was an era of the Gold Clad Giant Kings, the fire giants were also down in Lopango with their verbeeg slaves. Perhaps they even traded verbeeg slaves to the Gold Clad Giant Kings. Perhaps it was down in Lopango that these verbeeg watched the Lopango winged firecobra and learned how to "bend" with fire (essentially learning an ability similar to the avatar/Tome of Battle etc.. stuff where they weren't so much "fire wizards" as warriors that combine fire with fighting). Using their newfound ability, they rose up against the Gold Clad Giant Kings and managed to hold a small section of Lopango at its tip. Ironically, this is where the portals were that also led to the north, and they left through them and returned north to free their northern cousins. They were successful and the fire giants had to flee their own fortresses. However, the Gold Clad Giant Kings were more stoic and they came back to the lands held by the verbeeg in Lopango. They hunted these verbeeg to extinction down in Lopango, but the verbeeg shut down the portal on the anchorome side.

Later, the verbeeg decided to head down into the Adusgee Forest, find the hot springs, find the "human like hill giants", and they find someone who helps them setup a new termination point for their portal in the north to in the hot springs area of the Adusgee. Now these verbeeg periodically leave their "volcanoes surrounded by cold" lands in the north to come south via the portal. They hunt the adusgee forest and have developed a fondness for spit roasted alaghi. When the Adusgee was filled with werewolves, some of these verbeeg also contracted lyncanthropy, and now in the volcanic lands of the north and also into the blacktoe glacier there is a small tribe of verbeeg that are essentially "dire werewolves" that are shunned by everyone. This is partly why the Polar Urskan kill any verbeeg they meet.

Since the spellplague, a group of Abeil has come into the Adusgee forest, specifically to the flowering lands near the hot springs. There hasn't been open warfare between them and the verbeeg yet, because they keep a river between the two groups as a bit of a buffer zone. However, the abeil have hired some woodland urskan from the lands to their east to come in and hunt verbeeg who even approach the river in exchange for honey. The woodland urskan have taken to this "job" with relish, for they never liked the verbeeg in the first place, and they particularly favor abeil honey when brewed into a honey mead. Also, while the woodland urskan abhor the idea of eating the verbeeg themselves, their bear and owlbear pets do need to eat meat, and thus they have taken to drying the verbeeg flesh to give as treats to their animals.

Sound viable?

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 08 Oct 2020 12:50:19
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2020 :  14:41:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the kaaya-yeeda and the lands of the Minnenewah... an air bison of a different type

Flying Rothe
This winged "buffalo" like creature is believed to be a creation of the Aearee. Some believe they were created to create a herd beast that groundlings would have problems hunting, but that they Aearee could hunt more easily while providing themselves a challenge. They are a favored target of hunting for griffins, who appreciate the flavor of these creatures almost as much as they like the flavor of horse meat. The woodland urskan are known to hunt these creatures for their meat, for flying rothe wings barbecued with a hot pepper sauce are a favorite of the bear folk, as are ground up rothe meat sandwiches with sauteed mushrooms, onions, green peppers and an anchorome variant of ketjap. The urskan however find it even more of a prize to capture one of these winged rothe and tame it as a mount, and special rothe riding cages made of wood are common in urskan communities for breaking the wild bucking creature's to serve as mounts. Such activities are particularly dangerous and usually not attempted unless a healer is known to be somewhere close to hand. Pasocada elves, who have been known to herd regular rothe to run off the edges of cliffs, find Flying Rothe to be particularly cunning and wary prey. These elves often use the hides and feathers of a successful hunt to make war bonnets for all involved, and its not unusual to have tattoos and other iconography of the winged creatures amongst tribesmen who have successfully hunted these beasts.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 08 Oct 2020 15:06:17
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2020 :  14:55:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been rethinking myself on the Thonabeir (i.e. the magical bearfolk). I think I'm going back to my original idea that I left over power concerns. Basically, back to polar bear only looking. Have them be prone to being warlocks or sorcerers or wizards and evil. I may even give them a single pact magic slot no matter what class they are, but with access only to spells that they would normally only get via your feat in the blacktoe glacier that gives access to icy spells. Then give them a single cantrip (green-flame blade), but make it a rimefire spell (i.e. rimefire blade) so that half the damage is fire and half cold (with colorations like green, blue, and violet). Maybe also let them know one or two 1st level spells like hex and armor of agathys that they can use with their pact magic slot, and the pact magic slot increases as the character increases in level (maybe once every 4 levels the spell level goes up). Also give them a true thumb. Then get rid of the stealth option for them. They're bear folk, so make them bold. I can see this idea being more pleasing for most people than the previous, and if someone wants to play the other kind they can create it with class abilities.

EDIT: Thinking on this more, perhaps before the time of the formation of the Brrarum, a power of snow and ice (Ulutiu essentially, in the form of Great White Bear.... which is what Nanook is) taught the bear folk a ritual that they could perform on their children that formed a bond (a pact) with him. This pact visibly changes the child, such that their paws become more hand like, but they also don't grow as large. Later, both Auril and Shakak separately offered to teach other groups of these same urskan a different ritual, but with the same ends. Later than that, Rellavar Danuvien also reaches out to some urskan and "shows them a different way and path".
This "pact" changes the child, but it does not serve as a sacrifice between the child and the entity. Rather its an agreement between the parents and the entity to give their child power, and the parents are the ones that pay some kind of price. This price is a sacrifice. Perhaps its a sacrifice of a living being. Perhaps its a sacrifice of some other sort. That should depend on the entity. I'm thinking maybe to also give 4 optional abilities based on the entity involved (whether it be Nanook, Auril, Rellavar, or Shakak). I'm thinking all should get either cold resistance or immunity, but then the option between them is something like another cantrip or another resistance (for instance, necrotic resistance, poison resistance, etc...)

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 09 Oct 2020 16:30:52
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2020 :  19:38:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seethyr,

Hey, I know you're writing some short adventures for your other thing. Just a thought, and you could use the below graphic for it if you wanted. The idea: The party runs across a 18 inch tall red squirrel with a green cloak and carrying a wand with the symbol of Mystryl on its end as if it were a staff. The squirrel is named Rakiki, and he's a multiclassed wizard and warlock. He's got a big blue turquoise colored egg following him on a tenser's floating disk, and a bearded human whose hands are bound. He also has a large tressym (size small) that looks like a cougar. He's on an island that he was searching when he saw a pair of humans stealing what appeared to be a bird's egg (to him). He now wants to return the egg "to its mommy, because she must be worried". He could use some help though walking up the nearby mountainous terrain. Below should give you the drift, but its not "set in stone"... (I was just writing a blurb of something to entertain along with the picture). The thingiverse files, I also took the 3d image and imported it into paint.net and then used an ink paint effect to make it look more like a drawn cartoon and less like a 3d model just to see what it would look like. Anyway, I was just doing it for fun, and thought it might be a fun filler if you wanted it, especially since it introduces an island dwelling turquoise dragon and its hatchling.

Rakiki and the Big Blue Nekkid Bird

Rakiki and the Big Blue Nekkid Bird (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4623864 ) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

A scroll found in a cave appears to have a hand drawn picture of what appears to be a very large blue colored dragon lowering its nose to a hatchling being held up by a mage hand conjured by a tiny squirrelfolk. Nearby a human bows his head in supplication, and a cougar tressym watches on.

When the squirrelfolk named Rakiki ran across some evil men stealing a large "birds egg" from a cave, he turned the one holding the egg to stone while directing his unseen servant to "catch the big blue bird egg". He knew he must return the egg because the mommy bird would be very upset, and having had his own children stolen from him, he could not let another feel such pain. Unfortunately, the egg was as big as he was, so he had to use a tenser's floating disk, several applications of mage hand, and the aid of his unseen servant to see it back to its home. However, when he finally did find the cave, "the big blue nekkid bird" was very grateful for his aid. The evil men had apparently stolen the egg while she was out hunting. Naturally, Rakiki told the "big blue nekkid bird" that she looked very pretty, even though "she had lost all her feathers". The turquoise dragon, Chalchihuitl, named the young squirrelfolk wizard a true friend and swore she would come to his aid whenever she was needed. She gave him a piece of turquoise from her own body, which she then magically enspelled to call to her should the tiny red squirrel wizard ever need her aid. This of course proved very valuable for the young squirrelfolk later in life when Rakiki's home was under...

unfortunately, the rest of the page appears to be burnt away

As a follow up adventure possibly...
Rakiki and his cougar tressym, Kiki, are on these islands because they are seeking their Shatjan druid friend, Bollwenkle, who was taken captive while trying to protect his awakened reindeer friend with glowing antlers, named Rodulph. Bollwenkle is known for having a Bag of Tricks (True World version) that can summon rabbits, al-mir'aj, jackalopes, winged jackalopes, dire jackalopes, but also periodically malfunctions and summons an Urskan barbarian from Tjrrum in Blacktoe Glacier, a reindeer from the Herds of Atapukk, a hakuna (dragonne), an Alaghi from the Adusgee forest, a centaur or nic'epona spirit horse from Chic'Epona, a tabaxi bard from the jungles of Payit, a noceri guard from Katashaka, a or a weretiger ranger from the jungles of Katashaka (maybe even include some oddities like a parrot-griffin that's yellow, black, and white known as a pargriffin or a toucan-hippogriff (hippoucan?) that's got a colorful toucan beak, zebra backquarters, and black and white toucan body... both of which can talk). If they help them, Bollwenkle may give the party his bag of tricks as a thank you. Rakiki has this bag while Bollwenkle is captured (he found it when he went looking for his friend while in Anchorome).

Yeah, I'm feeling squirrelly.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 14 Oct 2020 22:04:05
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2020 :  21:37:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cervidae Folk (Shatjan) with Giant Elk Antler Staff and bow (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4625745) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

While Cervidae Folk serve to protect the herds of deer, caribou, elk, and even such fantastic creatures as giant elk, they are also attentive to using that which they provide. In particular, reusing antlers that have been shed is a common practice, and giant elk antlers are prized for their creation of deadly antler staves. Though typically connected with wood, its not uncommon for bones of dead giants or other powerful, large creatures to be use for the center part of the staff. This weapon is so common that most cervidae folk are trained in its use.

Some practictioners of hishna have spread their knowledge northward, particularly amongst the metahel humans (who have an almost reverence for horn based weapons), snow elves, shatjan, urskan, and Poscadari elves. They have developed spells to harden horn to the strength of steel. As a result, reindeer, elk, and moose antlers, whether shed or captured from a kill, are a commonly traded commodity. Other horns, such as that found on jackalopes of all sizes, bison, flying rothe, foxibou, and even intelligent creatures like shatjan and hybsil are also favored by the people of Anchorome.
The art of scrimshaw to make fish hooks is perhaps one of the most commonly seen uses. However, antler knives, antler arrowheads, antler wands, antler staves, antler-head spears and harpoons, moose antler axes, and small shields made of entwined reindeer antlers or bucklers made of moose antlers. Most notably there are even monks using unusual fighting styles not found in Faerun or kara-tur but using weapons similar to a kama, punch daggers, or even a "spiked chain" made from leather and antlers. There are even individuals using weapons believed to have originated in Kara-tur, such as the maduvu which consists of two antlers joined together in opposite directions, with the wielder holding one antler and his fingers sitting between the two sets of antler.

However, this working of hishna magics with antlers goes well beyond just making antlers less brittle by giving them strength similar to metals. Some hishna magics work with the spirits of the animal itself, and as a result, some magics which are less common in Faerun are actually more commonly found in Anchorome. For instance, weapons and shields made of horn are not as rare that have the ability to animate themselves and either attack or defend their wielder. In fact, one metahel goddess, Sifya the war mother, is said to use a shield of interlocking antlers that can also come apart into the separate antlers and attack her enemies if she feels the need to be more offensive. Also, not all hishna magics are used to strengthen horn, for some are used to make horn a bit more flexible, such as the hishna magics used on longhorn herd animals to make powerful bows wieldable by beings with exceptional strength of arms.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 16 Oct 2020 23:42:27
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2020 :  00:50:18  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cervidae Folk (Shatjan) with Giant Elk Antler Staff and bow (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4625745) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

While Cervidae Folk serve to protect the herds of deer, caribou, elk, and even such fantastic creatures as giant elk, they are also attentive to using that which they provide. In particular, reusing antlers that have been shed is a common practice, and giant elk antlers are prized for their creation of deadly antler staves. Though typically connected with wood, its not uncommon for bones of dead giants or other powerful, large creatures to be use for the center part of the staff. This weapon is so common that most cervidae folk are trained in its use.

Some practictioners of hishna have spread their knowledge northward, particularly amongst the metahel humans (who have an almost reverence for horn based weapons), snow elves, shatjan, urskan, and Poscadari elves. They have developed spells to harden horn to the strength of steel. As a result, reindeer, elk, and moose antlers, whether shed or captured from a kill, are a commonly traded commodity. Other horns, such as that found on jackalopes of all sizes, bison, flying rothe, foxibou, and even intelligent creatures like shatjan and hybsil are also favored by the people of Anchorome.
The art of scrimshaw to make fish hooks is perhaps one of the most commonly seen uses. However, antler knives, antler arrowheads, antler wands, antler staves, antler-head spears and harpoons, moose antler axes, and small shields made of entwined reindeer antlers or bucklers made of moose antlers. Most notably there are even monks using unusual fighting styles not found in Faerun or kara-tur but using weapons similar to a kama, punch daggers, or even a "spiked chain" made from leather and antlers. There are even individuals using weapons believed to have originated in Kara-tur, such as the maduvu which consists of two antlers joined together in opposite directions, with the wielder holding one antler and his fingers sitting between the two sets of antler.

However, this working of hishna magics with antlers goes well beyond just making antlers less brittle by giving them strength similar to metals. Some hishna magics work with the spirits of the animal itself, and as a result, some magics which are less common in Faerun are actually more commonly found in Anchorome. For instance, weapons and shields made of horn are not as rare that have the ability to animate themselves and either attack or defend their wielder. In fact, one metahel goddess, Sifya the war mother, is said to use a shield of interlocking antlers that can also come apart into the separate antlers and attack her enemies if she feels the need to be more offensive. Also, not all hishna magics are used to strengthen horn, for some are used to make horn a bit more flexible, such as the hishna magics used on longhorn herd animals to make powerful bows wieldable by beings with exceptional strength of arms.

That is really cool to have hishna added to the shatjan repertoire. What other kind of spells effects do you think a shatjan would want? I see them as they were originally described in the Horde boxed set as protectors of the wild reindeer herds, so I figure they might also use a lot of misdirectional magics and even some fear effects that could keep errant caribou from running off. Heck, you could create a whole different "True World Artisan" magic type specific to the shatjan. Once again, getting that idea mill flowing, if only there was more time.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000